Repairs begin on Oaklands Pool in Southampton

Oaklands Pool in Southampton

Oaklands Pool in Southampton

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

WORK has begun to restore a stricken Southampton community swimming pool.

Contractors have started work at the Oaklands Pool in Lordshill after the city council agreed to fund £1.7million of works to allow residents to enjoy is again.

In the summer of 2012 the council closed the Fairisle Road pool following a long-standing leak, which led to the Save the Oaklands Pool group fighting to get it open again.

In October last year the council agreed to fund work to refurbish the pool, which will be run by the Oaklands Community Pool group on a 25-year lease.

Lordshill resident Dan Lally, a group member, said: “It has been a massive battle to save the pool from closure and demolition. I am very pleased that the pool will return to serving the community seven days a week.

“Swimming is an excellent form of exercise and I encourage everyone to swim and to test the new Oaklands in the coming months.”

Coxford Labour councillor Sally Spicer was joined by her fellow ward councillors Don Thomas and Keith Morrell, of the Putting People First party, in securing the council cash.

She said: “It has been a long process to get to this point, but finally all our hard work is paying off.

“It’s so important for children to learn the life skill of swimming and that local schools can use Oaklands once again.”

Cllr Morrell said: “Two years ago the leader of the Labour group on the city council said, ‘The pool’s closed, get used to it’.

“Everyone involved in the Save the Oaklands Pool campaign, which forced the city council to do a U-turn and find the money to reopen the pool, can be proud of what they have achieved.”

Contractors Interserve are carrying out the works, which are expected to last until towards the end of this year before the reopening in early 2015.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:53am Tue 4 Feb 14

__KTF__ says...

Will be interesting to see how many people use it and if it covers its costs after the repairs have been carried out.
Will be interesting to see how many people use it and if it covers its costs after the repairs have been carried out. __KTF__
  • Score: 7

8:22am Tue 4 Feb 14

Might SS says...

Not many - bet the two don't
Not many - bet the two don't Might SS
  • Score: 1

10:35am Tue 4 Feb 14

tootle says...

People always did use it. It is a matter of tailoring opening times, sessions and prices to attract local residents. When my children were young the parent and baby session was always well attended as was the over 50s main poole session which overlapped. My husband used to go regularly several times a week to lane swimming, it was always popular in the school holidays and, if the local schools use it, it will be again.
People always did use it. It is a matter of tailoring opening times, sessions and prices to attract local residents. When my children were young the parent and baby session was always well attended as was the over 50s main poole session which overlapped. My husband used to go regularly several times a week to lane swimming, it was always popular in the school holidays and, if the local schools use it, it will be again. tootle
  • Score: 2

10:54am Tue 4 Feb 14

sotonboy84 says...

Nothing more than a vote catcher. £1.7m spent on a pool when the council already have two more in the city and at the same time crying poverty and increasing taxes and cutting services. Priorities springs to mind…
Nothing more than a vote catcher. £1.7m spent on a pool when the council already have two more in the city and at the same time crying poverty and increasing taxes and cutting services. Priorities springs to mind… sotonboy84
  • Score: 6

11:47am Tue 4 Feb 14

Paramjit Bahia says...

Congratulations to all those who campaigned to save Oaklands Swimming Pool, especially Cllr. Don Thomas and Cllr. Keith Morrell.

For standing shoulder to shoulder with us the people elected them and ignoring dictatorial NuLabour whip in the Council, both Don and Keith were expelled from Thatcherised NuLabour .

To close the pool which was the proud creation of old Labour run Southampton Council in 1980s by the current pro cuts NuLabour was the disgraceful idea suggested by the current Leader of the Council Cllr. Simon Letts.

Unlike Cllr. Don Thomas and Cllr. Keith Morrell the third councillor for Coxford Sally Spicer had opted to fully support NuLabour's policy of cuts and in Council meeting voted for closing this Swimming Pool. But now in typical NuLabourite shameless style has been quoted to be claiming the credit.

Hope in May elections voters will remember that unlike' Cllr. Spicer and her political party NuLabour, which contests elections as Labour Party, Cllr. Don Thomas and Cllr. Keith Morrell have always stood by us the people of Coxford.

U turn by Council over closing this Pool also proves that if ordinary people unite to oppose unnecessary cuts and are represented by principled councillors who put people before unprincipled political party the cuts can be reversed and services saved.
Congratulations to all those who campaigned to save Oaklands Swimming Pool, especially Cllr. Don Thomas and Cllr. Keith Morrell. For standing shoulder to shoulder with us the people elected them and ignoring dictatorial NuLabour whip in the Council, both Don and Keith were expelled from Thatcherised NuLabour . To close the pool which was the proud creation of old Labour run Southampton Council in 1980s by the current pro cuts NuLabour was the disgraceful idea suggested by the current Leader of the Council Cllr. Simon Letts. Unlike Cllr. Don Thomas and Cllr. Keith Morrell the third councillor for Coxford Sally Spicer had opted to fully support NuLabour's policy of cuts and in Council meeting voted for closing this Swimming Pool. But now in typical NuLabourite shameless style has been quoted to be claiming the credit. Hope in May elections voters will remember that unlike' Cllr. Spicer and her political party NuLabour, which contests elections as Labour Party, Cllr. Don Thomas and Cllr. Keith Morrell have always stood by us the people of Coxford. U turn by Council over closing this Pool also proves that if ordinary people unite to oppose unnecessary cuts and are represented by principled councillors who put people before unprincipled political party the cuts can be reversed and services saved. Paramjit Bahia
  • Score: -1

1:22pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Nick Chaffey says...

300 people a DAY were using the pool when Labour voted to close it, including 18 schools and many community groups. Well done to all those who campaigned alongside councillors Keith Morell and Don Thomas, the local community and local council unions UNITE and UNISON. It shows these cuts can be beaten and what could be done if we had more councillors like the Coxford 2. Next Wednesday is the council budget meeting, let's take heart from this and call on all Labour councillors to join the fightback and get the money from the government we need for the city. Councillors do have a choice, "Don't Vote for cuts!"
300 people a DAY were using the pool when Labour voted to close it, including 18 schools and many community groups. Well done to all those who campaigned alongside councillors Keith Morell and Don Thomas, the local community and local council unions UNITE and UNISON. It shows these cuts can be beaten and what could be done if we had more councillors like the Coxford 2. Next Wednesday is the council budget meeting, let's take heart from this and call on all Labour councillors to join the fightback and get the money from the government we need for the city. Councillors do have a choice, "Don't Vote for cuts!" Nick Chaffey
  • Score: 0

1:40pm Tue 4 Feb 14

southy says...

Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines
Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines southy
  • Score: -1

3:57pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Barbender says...

Interserve have only been on the site for two weeks and the footpath and verges around the site have been turned into a mudbath, the residents of Cromerty Road and Rockall Close have a lot to look forward too.
It will not be long before we have to put with the inconsiderate parking of pool users, plus the school buses dropping off, picking up even laying over on the estate streets not to mention the constant movement of contractors vehicles. Time to move I think before the value of property in this sector blighted any further.
Interserve have only been on the site for two weeks and the footpath and verges around the site have been turned into a mudbath, the residents of Cromerty Road and Rockall Close have a lot to look forward too. It will not be long before we have to put with the inconsiderate parking of pool users, plus the school buses dropping off, picking up even laying over on the estate streets not to mention the constant movement of contractors vehicles. Time to move I think before the value of property in this sector blighted any further. Barbender
  • Score: 0

4:28pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Quizbook says...

southy wrote:
Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines
I am not a member or supporter of the TUSC, but I do think Don and Keith were right on this one, and I be offering to help get them re-elected this year.

I hope some others out there can donate a few quid to their election costs, or help deliver a few leaflets for them.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines[/p][/quote]I am not a member or supporter of the TUSC, but I do think Don and Keith were right on this one, and I be offering to help get them re-elected this year. I hope some others out there can donate a few quid to their election costs, or help deliver a few leaflets for them. Quizbook
  • Score: 1

5:09pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Lone Ranger. says...

Quizbook wrote:
southy wrote:
Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines
I am not a member or supporter of the TUSC, but I do think Don and Keith were right on this one, and I be offering to help get them re-elected this year.

I hope some others out there can donate a few quid to their election costs, or help deliver a few leaflets for them.
Yep you can vote for the TUSC ....... but i dont think that they are in it
[quote][p][bold]Quizbook[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines[/p][/quote]I am not a member or supporter of the TUSC, but I do think Don and Keith were right on this one, and I be offering to help get them re-elected this year. I hope some others out there can donate a few quid to their election costs, or help deliver a few leaflets for them.[/p][/quote]Yep you can vote for the TUSC ....... but i dont think that they are in it Lone Ranger.
  • Score: -2

7:10pm Tue 4 Feb 14

southy says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Quizbook wrote:
southy wrote:
Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines
I am not a member or supporter of the TUSC, but I do think Don and Keith were right on this one, and I be offering to help get them re-elected this year.

I hope some others out there can donate a few quid to their election costs, or help deliver a few leaflets for them.
Yep you can vote for the TUSC ....... but i dont think that they are in it
He talking about Kieth or Don can't remember the moment which will be standing there this year, But I think you find the TUSC will not stand there this year giving them a free run at being relected
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quizbook[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Well posted Paramjit as part of the Southampton TUSC I was there right at the beginning and can say with out doubt that Don and Keith was the only 2 Councilors that stood they ground and Represented the People of the Ward and not the party lines of supporting the national Government of Cuts, Catherine McEwing (who is up for election this year) was the Whip at the time who punished Don and Keith for representing the people and not the party lines[/p][/quote]I am not a member or supporter of the TUSC, but I do think Don and Keith were right on this one, and I be offering to help get them re-elected this year. I hope some others out there can donate a few quid to their election costs, or help deliver a few leaflets for them.[/p][/quote]Yep you can vote for the TUSC ....... but i dont think that they are in it[/p][/quote]He talking about Kieth or Don can't remember the moment which will be standing there this year, But I think you find the TUSC will not stand there this year giving them a free run at being relected southy
  • Score: 1

9:54pm Tue 4 Feb 14

southy says...

I see that the posting are well down is that because of those few with a number of accounts ect, Have Virgin Media Internet in area 21, Just like to inform that one of there cables have been damage and it be around month before it is fix, or that,s what I was told on the phone
I see that the posting are well down is that because of those few with a number of accounts ect, Have Virgin Media Internet in area 21, Just like to inform that one of there cables have been damage and it be around month before it is fix, or that,s what I was told on the phone southy
  • Score: 1

9:01am Wed 5 Feb 14

mrmole1 says...

Nick Chaffey wrote:
300 people a DAY were using the pool when Labour voted to close it, including 18 schools and many community groups. Well done to all those who campaigned alongside councillors Keith Morell and Don Thomas, the local community and local council unions UNITE and UNISON. It shows these cuts can be beaten and what could be done if we had more councillors like the Coxford 2. Next Wednesday is the council budget meeting, let's take heart from this and call on all Labour councillors to join the fightback and get the money from the government we need for the city. Councillors do have a choice, "Don't Vote for cuts!"
Nick.......Dan Lally who all will agree has had a huge input in all of this is certainly with a local council union.......GMB Sir.
[quote][p][bold]Nick Chaffey[/bold] wrote: 300 people a DAY were using the pool when Labour voted to close it, including 18 schools and many community groups. Well done to all those who campaigned alongside councillors Keith Morell and Don Thomas, the local community and local council unions UNITE and UNISON. It shows these cuts can be beaten and what could be done if we had more councillors like the Coxford 2. Next Wednesday is the council budget meeting, let's take heart from this and call on all Labour councillors to join the fightback and get the money from the government we need for the city. Councillors do have a choice, "Don't Vote for cuts!"[/p][/quote]Nick.......Dan Lally who all will agree has had a huge input in all of this is certainly with a local council union.......GMB Sir. mrmole1
  • Score: 0

9:05am Wed 5 Feb 14

mrmole1 says...

Nick Chaffey wrote:
300 people a DAY were using the pool when Labour voted to close it, including 18 schools and many community groups. Well done to all those who campaigned alongside councillors Keith Morell and Don Thomas, the local community and local council unions UNITE and UNISON. It shows these cuts can be beaten and what could be done if we had more councillors like the Coxford 2. Next Wednesday is the council budget meeting, let's take heart from this and call on all Labour councillors to join the fightback and get the money from the government we need for the city. Councillors do have a choice, "Don't Vote for cuts!"
Good to see that the people of Southampton recognise when true values shine through from Labour and the Unions......Nick....
Just a quick point from your post and the the article "Lordshill resident DAN LALLY......." ......Dan is a GMB Trade Union steward and he has been for many years.
[quote][p][bold]Nick Chaffey[/bold] wrote: 300 people a DAY were using the pool when Labour voted to close it, including 18 schools and many community groups. Well done to all those who campaigned alongside councillors Keith Morell and Don Thomas, the local community and local council unions UNITE and UNISON. It shows these cuts can be beaten and what could be done if we had more councillors like the Coxford 2. Next Wednesday is the council budget meeting, let's take heart from this and call on all Labour councillors to join the fightback and get the money from the government we need for the city. Councillors do have a choice, "Don't Vote for cuts!"[/p][/quote]Good to see that the people of Southampton recognise when true values shine through from Labour and the Unions......Nick.... Just a quick point from your post and the the article "Lordshill resident DAN LALLY......." ......Dan is a GMB Trade Union steward and he has been for many years. mrmole1
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree