Murder accused 'changed story'

Daily Echo: Jahmel Jones Jahmel Jones

A DRUG dealer accused of shooting a man dead in a Southampton flat changed his defence statement after the start of the murder trial, a court heard.

It was revealed Jemmikai Orlebar-Forbes first claimed Jahmel Jones, pictured below, was shot dead by his friend Jason Hoitt following a drugs deal at 69 St Mary’s Road, Southampton, on April 20 last year.

But Ian Lawrie QC told jurors at Winchester Crown Court that Orlebar-Forbes changed his defence statement after the start of the trial last month.

The court heard Orlebar-Forbes’ revised statement claims there was a struggle between him and Mr Jones at the flat before the father-of-one was fatally shot.

Mr Lawrie told Orlebar-Forbes: “This shows two things. One that you were prepared to lie, and two, you were prepared to blame another person for the murder of Mr Jones.” Orlebar-Forbes said: “At the time I feared I wouldn’t be believed.

“I was worried they did believe Mr Hoitt. He did come to the house and attack Isaac Boateng.

“I was scared and didn’t want to say it. It is a very serious offence I have been charged with.”

Orlebar-Forbes, 20, of London, Pierre Lewis, 20, of Barnes, and Isaac Boateng, 22, of Hounslow, all deny murder but have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply class A drugs.

Rachel Kenehan, 35, from London, denies conspiracy to supply class A drugs, assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice.

Proceeding.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree