Judge Constance Briscoe jailed for lying to police in Chris Huhne scandal

Daily Echo: Constance Briscoe Constance Briscoe

Disgraced barrister and part-time judge Constance Briscoe has been jailed for 16 months after being found guilty of lying to police investigating the Chris Huhne speeding points scandal.

Briscoe was convicted of three counts of trying to pervert the course of justice in connection with the investigation into how disgraced cabinet minister Huhne passed speeding points to his then-wife Vicky Pryce a decade ago.

Briscoe, 56, of Clapham, south London, had been suspended since her arrest in October 2012 and could now be barred from sitting as a judge.

Jailing her, judge Mr Justice Baker told Briscoe that if she and Pryce shared anything in common it was ''arrogance by educated individuals who considered respect for the law was for others''.

The judge said: ''Constance Briscoe you are the third individual to be convicted of criminal offences arising out of a saga whose origin arises from 2003 when both Chris Huhne and Vicky Pryce lied about who had been driving a speeding motor vehicle.''

He said Briscoe hid her true motives for her involvement and then compounded the position in 2011 by ''deliberately fabricating evidence when you thought you would be exposed''.

He said the conviction was a ''personal tragedy'' for a woman who had been ''something of a role model for others''.

''Although blessed with intelligence you did not have every advantage in life. However, you worked hard at school and were the first person in your family to go to university.''

He said the defendant went on to be given the privilege of being a part-time judge while ''raising your two much-loved children''.

But said he: ''You were motivated, as was Vicky Pryce, by a joint desire to ensure the downfall of Chris Huhne.

''I'm sure that you realise only too well that this conduct strikes at the heart of our much-cherished criminal justice system.''

He sentenced Briscoe to four, five and seven months for the three counts, totalling 16 months in jail.

Briscoe replied: ''I'm grateful my lord.''

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:54am Fri 2 May 14

Positively4thStreet says...

At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce!
At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce! Positively4thStreet
  • Score: -2

10:55am Fri 2 May 14

Ozmosis says...

Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse
Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse Ozmosis
  • Score: 1

10:57am Fri 2 May 14

thesouth says...

Positively4thStreet wrote:
At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce!
So all barristers should be tarnished by her actions?
[quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce![/p][/quote]So all barristers should be tarnished by her actions? thesouth
  • Score: 0

11:09am Fri 2 May 14

Torchie1 says...

Ozmosis wrote:
Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse
8 months to decide what new path in life to follow because this conviction has closed the doors on her career in the legal profession. If she hadn't already shown her true colours by writing a questionable account of her childhood, it could have been assumed that there would be a feeling of shame about the sentence but the ex Judge appears to have the hide of a rhinoceros.
[quote][p][bold]Ozmosis[/bold] wrote: Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse[/p][/quote]8 months to decide what new path in life to follow because this conviction has closed the doors on her career in the legal profession. If she hadn't already shown her true colours by writing a questionable account of her childhood, it could have been assumed that there would be a feeling of shame about the sentence but the ex Judge appears to have the hide of a rhinoceros. Torchie1
  • Score: 2

11:20am Fri 2 May 14

From the sidelines says...

Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc. From the sidelines
  • Score: 0

11:44am Fri 2 May 14

Outside of the Box says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Ozmosis wrote:
Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse
8 months to decide what new path in life to follow because this conviction has closed the doors on her career in the legal profession. If she hadn't already shown her true colours by writing a questionable account of her childhood, it could have been assumed that there would be a feeling of shame about the sentence but the ex Judge appears to have the hide of a rhinoceros.
No it doesn't close the door on her career within the legal profession, she can still practice as a barrister, there is a barrister who is a regular at Southampton Crown Court who obtained his law degree whilst in jail, being an ex-con doesn't bar you from the bar.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ozmosis[/bold] wrote: Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse[/p][/quote]8 months to decide what new path in life to follow because this conviction has closed the doors on her career in the legal profession. If she hadn't already shown her true colours by writing a questionable account of her childhood, it could have been assumed that there would be a feeling of shame about the sentence but the ex Judge appears to have the hide of a rhinoceros.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't close the door on her career within the legal profession, she can still practice as a barrister, there is a barrister who is a regular at Southampton Crown Court who obtained his law degree whilst in jail, being an ex-con doesn't bar you from the bar. Outside of the Box
  • Score: 1

11:49am Fri 2 May 14

Outside of the Box says...

From the sidelines wrote:
Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence
Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence
Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.
[quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc.[/p][/quote]Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK. Outside of the Box
  • Score: 8

12:07pm Fri 2 May 14

Charlie Bucket says...

thesouth wrote:
Positively4thStreet wrote:
At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce!
So all barristers should be tarnished by her actions?
No, just the black ones presumably.
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce![/p][/quote]So all barristers should be tarnished by her actions?[/p][/quote]No, just the black ones presumably. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: -3

12:09pm Fri 2 May 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Outside of the Box wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence
Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence
Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.
No no no, you're wrong. Under the Daily Echo Reader Justice Act, every sentence given out is wrong. It's either too high or too low, depending on exactly what sort of baseless hate the readership is spewing out at a given moment.
[quote][p][bold]Outside of the Box[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc.[/p][/quote]Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.[/p][/quote]No no no, you're wrong. Under the Daily Echo Reader Justice Act, every sentence given out is wrong. It's either too high or too low, depending on exactly what sort of baseless hate the readership is spewing out at a given moment. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 4

12:19pm Fri 2 May 14

thelawyer says...

Ozmosis wrote:
Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse
Actually 16 months in prison is normally about 4 months and then out on a tag. I have known others to be out in 2.5 months and then tagged for the same sentence.
[quote][p][bold]Ozmosis[/bold] wrote: Out in 8 months. Could have been a lot worse[/p][/quote]Actually 16 months in prison is normally about 4 months and then out on a tag. I have known others to be out in 2.5 months and then tagged for the same sentence. thelawyer
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Fri 2 May 14

thelawyer says...

Outside of the Box wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence
Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence
Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.
Yes, if a person admits their guilt at the first opportunity they automatically get 1/3rd off their sentence.
[quote][p][bold]Outside of the Box[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc.[/p][/quote]Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.[/p][/quote]Yes, if a person admits their guilt at the first opportunity they automatically get 1/3rd off their sentence. thelawyer
  • Score: 2

1:18pm Fri 2 May 14

Outside of the Box says...

Charlie Bucket wrote:
Outside of the Box wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence
Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence
Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.
No no no, you're wrong. Under the Daily Echo Reader Justice Act, every sentence given out is wrong. It's either too high or too low, depending on exactly what sort of baseless hate the readership is spewing out at a given moment.
Agreed, please accept my apologies for getting it wrong
[quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Outside of the Box[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc.[/p][/quote]Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.[/p][/quote]No no no, you're wrong. Under the Daily Echo Reader Justice Act, every sentence given out is wrong. It's either too high or too low, depending on exactly what sort of baseless hate the readership is spewing out at a given moment.[/p][/quote]Agreed, please accept my apologies for getting it wrong Outside of the Box
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Fri 2 May 14

From the sidelines says...

Outside of the Box wrote:
Charlie Bucket wrote:
Outside of the Box wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence
Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence
Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.
No no no, you're wrong. Under the Daily Echo Reader Justice Act, every sentence given out is wrong. It's either too high or too low, depending on exactly what sort of baseless hate the readership is spewing out at a given moment.
Agreed, please accept my apologies for getting it wrong
I wouldn't like to say whether any of the sentences was too short or too long. I'm just intrigued by the apparent disparity.

The early guilty please does not account for all of the difference.
[quote][p][bold]Outside of the Box[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Outside of the Box[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc.[/p][/quote]Huhne pleaded guilty, which automatically reduces the sentence Pryce was charged with less counts therefore reduces the sentence Being a woman, Judge. MP or even black has nothing to do with it, it's simply the sentencing policy of the UK.[/p][/quote]No no no, you're wrong. Under the Daily Echo Reader Justice Act, every sentence given out is wrong. It's either too high or too low, depending on exactly what sort of baseless hate the readership is spewing out at a given moment.[/p][/quote]Agreed, please accept my apologies for getting it wrong[/p][/quote]I wouldn't like to say whether any of the sentences was too short or too long. I'm just intrigued by the apparent disparity. The early guilty please does not account for all of the difference. From the sidelines
  • Score: 2

3:58pm Fri 2 May 14

Positively4thStreet says...

thesouth wrote:
Positively4thStreet wrote:
At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce!
So all barristers should be tarnished by her actions?
Well the Judge who stopped the trial taking place obviously thought that the accused wouldn't get a fair trial if the barristers thought they were going to be 30% down on their money;so the only conclusion a layman can draw from that,is that the Judge,I repeat,THE JUDGE,obviously felt that barristers are more concerned about money than justice.
Can anyone suggest another reason?
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: At the same time as a judge stops a trial because barristers are whinging they won't get paid enough.What a farce![/p][/quote]So all barristers should be tarnished by her actions?[/p][/quote]Well the Judge who stopped the trial taking place obviously thought that the accused wouldn't get a fair trial if the barristers thought they were going to be 30% down on their money;so the only conclusion a layman can draw from that,is that the Judge,I repeat,THE JUDGE,obviously felt that barristers are more concerned about money than justice. Can anyone suggest another reason? Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 2

6:21pm Fri 2 May 14

andysaints007 says...

From the sidelines wrote:
Ok, so here's a question:

Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months.

Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months.

So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs?
Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black.

Inquiring minds, etc. etc.
IDIOT
[quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Ok, so here's a question: Briscoe lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 16 months. Huhne lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. Pryce lied regarding Huhne's points, and was sentenced to 8 months. So, a longer sentence because we expect more from judges than MPs? Can't be because she's a woman, otherwise Pryce would have received longer. Surely, not a longer sentence because she's black. Inquiring minds, etc. etc.[/p][/quote]IDIOT andysaints007
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree