Saddle up with Friends for Big Green Bike Ride

Daily Echo: Saddle up with Friends for Big Green Bike Ride Saddle up with Friends for Big Green Bike Ride

CYCLISTS in Hampshire can get on their bikes this month – to raise money for one of Britain’s leading environmental charities.

Friends of the Earth (FoE) has organised the annual Big Green Bike Ride where participants are expected to wheel through the county’s roads on Saturday, May 17.

It is the culmination of an 85-mile route from London to the New Forest.

After arriving in the national park on Saturday afternoon, riders will be based at the Foxlease Girl Guide centre at Lyndhurst, where a zip wire and other activities will be provided.

After camping overnight in the national park, riders will get on their bikes and enjoy a 35-mile circuit through the New Forest the following day.

FoE says the event will be very different from the huge Sportive rides that have sparked a series of rows between cyclists and residents in the New Forest over the past couple of years.

Unlike that series, people taking part in the Big Green Bike Ride will not be timed.

Organisers stress that the Big Green Bike Ride will be a much smaller event with around 50 environmentally aware cyclists taking part who will be briefed on the New Forest cycling code.

A FoE spokesman said: “We chose the New Forest for the second day of the Big Green Bike Ride because it is one of the most well-preserved areas of natural beauty in the country, and has plenty of scenic routes, making it the perfect location.

“Compared to the mass-participation events with thousands of cyclists that are causing concern in the New Forest, we’re expecting just over 60 participants, making it a very small-scale cycle ride.

“The aim is for the Big Green Bike Ride to be the ‘gold standard’ of New Forest bike rides by having as little impact on local residents and the natural surroundings as possible.

Anyone interested in taking part can opt to join in either day of the event or the whole weekend but must register by Friday.

It costs £70 for the whole weekend or £35 for the one-day option. Participants must also pledge to raise a minimum of £300 sponsorship if they are taking part on both days or £150 otherwise.

Every rider will get an eco-friendly goody bag and free organic cotton T-shirt.

To take part for both days or just one day log on to biggreen-bikeride.
co.uk.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:30am Wed 7 May 14

__KTF__ says...

A cycling event in the Forest you say?

I wonder if the NIMBYs will be out in force with their boxes of drawing pins for this.
A cycling event in the Forest you say? I wonder if the NIMBYs will be out in force with their boxes of drawing pins for this. __KTF__
  • Score: 5

12:16pm Wed 7 May 14

For pity sake says...

Very green...
Hold up all the traffic so it uses more fuel by driving at an inefficient speed or force it into long detours to avoid the lycra-clad pests.
Very green... Hold up all the traffic so it uses more fuel by driving at an inefficient speed or force it into long detours to avoid the lycra-clad pests. For pity sake
  • Score: -10

12:29pm Wed 7 May 14

one in a million says...

Another day another opportunity for the sad fat trolls to have a go at cyclists...well done DE. zzzzzzzzzz
Another day another opportunity for the sad fat trolls to have a go at cyclists...well done DE. zzzzzzzzzz one in a million
  • Score: 5

12:39pm Wed 7 May 14

camerajuan says...

For pity sake wrote:
Very green...
Hold up all the traffic so it uses more fuel by driving at an inefficient speed or force it into long detours to avoid the lycra-clad pests.
Change the record!

Now that it's public knowledge there is no excuse to get stuck behind it.

Don't complain when you get stuck in a traffic jam you knew would be there.
[quote][p][bold]For pity sake[/bold] wrote: Very green... Hold up all the traffic so it uses more fuel by driving at an inefficient speed or force it into long detours to avoid the lycra-clad pests.[/p][/quote]Change the record! Now that it's public knowledge there is no excuse to get stuck behind it. Don't complain when you get stuck in a traffic jam you knew would be there. camerajuan
  • Score: 1

12:45pm Wed 7 May 14

derek james says...

not a very good "charity" to support, they're fully paid up members of the AGW brigade and would love to see the whole country covered in useless windmills
not a very good "charity" to support, they're fully paid up members of the AGW brigade and would love to see the whole country covered in useless windmills derek james
  • Score: -3

12:54pm Wed 7 May 14

at_123 says...

Will there be immigrants riding bikes? Really give some people even more of a reason for the oh so predictable, mindless rant
Will there be immigrants riding bikes? Really give some people even more of a reason for the oh so predictable, mindless rant at_123
  • Score: 3

12:57pm Wed 7 May 14

freefinker says...

derek james wrote:
not a very good "charity" to support, they're fully paid up members of the AGW brigade and would love to see the whole country covered in useless windmills
.. and so speaks the science denying conspiracy theorist.
About time you actually started to read real science; not the rubbish you keep putting up on this website.
[quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: not a very good "charity" to support, they're fully paid up members of the AGW brigade and would love to see the whole country covered in useless windmills[/p][/quote].. and so speaks the science denying conspiracy theorist. About time you actually started to read real science; not the rubbish you keep putting up on this website. freefinker
  • Score: 8

2:33pm Wed 7 May 14

townieboy says...

How about a sponsored non bike event ? id put in for that to keep the roads clear.
How about a sponsored non bike event ? id put in for that to keep the roads clear. townieboy
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Wed 7 May 14

IronLady2010 says...

I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.
I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured. IronLady2010
  • Score: 3

3:12pm Wed 7 May 14

derek james says...

freefinker wrote:
derek james wrote:
not a very good "charity" to support, they're fully paid up members of the AGW brigade and would love to see the whole country covered in useless windmills
.. and so speaks the science denying conspiracy theorist.
About time you actually started to read real science; not the rubbish you keep putting up on this website.
i do read real science and not one of the doomsday scenarios forecast by you and your ilk has come true or even looks like it will.in short if you want to support the likes of foe be prepared for ever increasing energy bills
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: not a very good "charity" to support, they're fully paid up members of the AGW brigade and would love to see the whole country covered in useless windmills[/p][/quote].. and so speaks the science denying conspiracy theorist. About time you actually started to read real science; not the rubbish you keep putting up on this website.[/p][/quote]i do read real science and not one of the doomsday scenarios forecast by you and your ilk has come true or even looks like it will.in short if you want to support the likes of foe be prepared for ever increasing energy bills derek james
  • Score: -5

3:18pm Wed 7 May 14

camerajuan says...

townieboy wrote:
How about a sponsored non bike event ? id put in for that to keep the roads clear.
Yeah cos less bikes will keep the roads clear. Wake up!
[quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: How about a sponsored non bike event ? id put in for that to keep the roads clear.[/p][/quote]Yeah cos less bikes will keep the roads clear. Wake up! camerajuan
  • Score: 1

4:21pm Wed 7 May 14

at_123 says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.
Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.[/p][/quote]Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder? at_123
  • Score: -1

4:25pm Wed 7 May 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

at_123 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.
Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?
Sadly that pathological hatred is a global problem... Except for the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe who have got the roads right.
[quote][p][bold]at_123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.[/p][/quote]Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?[/p][/quote]Sadly that pathological hatred is a global problem... Except for the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe who have got the roads right. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Wed 7 May 14

camerajuan says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
at_123 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.
Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?
Sadly that pathological hatred is a global problem... Except for the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe who have got the roads right.
Too true. If a group who causes a great deal less destruction are hated this way, I hate to think what people think of the major road accident causes.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]at_123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.[/p][/quote]Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?[/p][/quote]Sadly that pathological hatred is a global problem... Except for the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe who have got the roads right.[/p][/quote]Too true. If a group who causes a great deal less destruction are hated this way, I hate to think what people think of the major road accident causes. camerajuan
  • Score: -1

4:32pm Wed 7 May 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

camerajuan wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
at_123 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.
Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?
Sadly that pathological hatred is a global problem... Except for the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe who have got the roads right.
Too true. If a group who causes a great deal less destruction are hated this way, I hate to think what people think of the major road accident causes.
Agreed.
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]at_123[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: I saw the headline and thought, dare I click it. As predicted the comments are as I figured.[/p][/quote]Did you really expect otherwise? Like you clicked to read with the same expectation. As a car driver who also cycles don't understand the near pathological hatred some echo readers have for cyclists - no cyclist has ever written off my friend's car, knocked down a colleague's dog, run into my daughter as she was crossing the road, mown down horses/cattle in the new forest or nearly knocked me off my bike when I've chosen to cycle to work rather than drive. Is this obsession typical of Southampton I wonder?[/p][/quote]Sadly that pathological hatred is a global problem... Except for the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe who have got the roads right.[/p][/quote]Too true. If a group who causes a great deal less destruction are hated this way, I hate to think what people think of the major road accident causes.[/p][/quote]Agreed. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree