Angry residents stage protest over plans for hundreds of new homes

Daily Echo: Angry residents stage protest over plans for hundreds of new homes Angry residents stage protest over plans for hundreds of new homes

ANGRY residents in a Hampshire town held a protest to send out a clear message to council chiefs over controversial plans for hundreds of new homes.

Seventy Alresford residents gathered near the proposed site off Sun Lane to voice their opposition to the scheme for 320 new homes.

The site is a key part of Winchester Local Plan, which says the historic market town should have 500 new homes by 2031.

But although residents say they are now fighting a “rearguard” action against the plans, they are not |giving up the fight and want council chiefs in Winchester to reconsider their plans.

Residents in nearby streets have hit out about “poor communication” with town residents about the plans, and say the new development will turn their roads into “rat runs” which could be dangerous for local youngsters.

Alresford Town Council has said the town needs to grow to secure its long-term future, but they and civic chiefs in Winchester came under fire from residents at a packed public meeting in Perins School last week, that was attended by 500 people.

As well as the new homes, the site could also see industry relocated from the town centre as well as a new gypsy and traveller site with access off the A31 bypass.

‘Dangerous’ Speaking at yesterday’s protest, Sam Kerr-Smiley from the Nursery Road Residents’ Group, said an increase of traffic on the residential street was a big concern.

He said: “It’s a lovely road with open spaces which means youngsters are able to enjoy themselves, but it’s already getting dangerous with the number of cars driving down there.

“We want Winchester City Council to show that they have taken our concerns into account and our road doesn’t turn into a rat run.”

Windermere Gardens resident Janet Barker told the Daily Echo: “It will be like opening Pandora’s box.

“The issue of access for construction traffic has not been addressed.”

With the local plan already adopted by Winchester City Council, the next step would be for a developer to come forward with plans for the site and hand in a planning application.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:31am Mon 2 Jun 14

bigfella777 says...

How are we ever going to address the housing crisis if this is peoples attitude every time? I bet most of the protesters were Retired baby boomers living in 4 bed houses on there own.
Does Alresford not have young people who have the right to live where they grew up? Or should the town only be for the rich who can afford to move from Winchester.
Just approve the development, why should they be immune from the increase in population.
How are we ever going to address the housing crisis if this is peoples attitude every time? I bet most of the protesters were Retired baby boomers living in 4 bed houses on there own. Does Alresford not have young people who have the right to live where they grew up? Or should the town only be for the rich who can afford to move from Winchester. Just approve the development, why should they be immune from the increase in population. bigfella777
  • Score: 7

6:48am Mon 2 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

bigfella777 wrote:
How are we ever going to address the housing crisis if this is peoples attitude every time? I bet most of the protesters were Retired baby boomers living in 4 bed houses on there own.
Does Alresford not have young people who have the right to live where they grew up? Or should the town only be for the rich who can afford to move from Winchester.
Just approve the development, why should they be immune from the increase in population.
Well said.
As an ex Alresford youngster who couldnt afford to live in my own home town ,because of people who think they have the god given right to stop anyone else livng near them.
Alresford is now full of narrow minded people who have come in from the outside and now think that they own the place.
Iof all tye people mentioned there , I cant see one local name..
come on WCC get on and build the houses and do what you are supposed to do , building the future for the next generation .
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: How are we ever going to address the housing crisis if this is peoples attitude every time? I bet most of the protesters were Retired baby boomers living in 4 bed houses on there own. Does Alresford not have young people who have the right to live where they grew up? Or should the town only be for the rich who can afford to move from Winchester. Just approve the development, why should they be immune from the increase in population.[/p][/quote]Well said. As an ex Alresford youngster who couldnt afford to live in my own home town ,because of people who think they have the god given right to stop anyone else livng near them. Alresford is now full of narrow minded people who have come in from the outside and now think that they own the place. Iof all tye people mentioned there , I cant see one local name.. come on WCC get on and build the houses and do what you are supposed to do , building the future for the next generation . Balsamic
  • Score: 14

7:36am Mon 2 Jun 14

skeptik says...

It is always the same, there are 'estates' in existence now that were fields when I was young -it always amuses when the people living there are among the first to protest about expansion. Often the old established traders were relatively happy to see growth if it meant income. Many of our villages and small country towns are like dormitories for weekenders, who come along and want to stop the church bells, the flight of a cricket ball, and the cockerel sounding the gift of another day. Stop faffing around and build.
It is always the same, there are 'estates' in existence now that were fields when I was young -it always amuses when the people living there are among the first to protest about expansion. Often the old established traders were relatively happy to see growth if it meant income. Many of our villages and small country towns are like dormitories for weekenders, who come along and want to stop the church bells, the flight of a cricket ball, and the cockerel sounding the gift of another day. Stop faffing around and build. skeptik
  • Score: 1

8:11am Mon 2 Jun 14

InsomnyaBorealys says...

A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA.
From ilmar, talinn.
A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA. From ilmar, talinn. InsomnyaBorealys
  • Score: -2

8:38am Mon 2 Jun 14

noodlesnewman says...

InsomnyaBorealys wrote:
A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA.
From ilmar, talinn.
just get on and build em , dont listen to the snobs sitting tightly in their 5 bedroom homes .
[quote][p][bold]InsomnyaBorealys[/bold] wrote: A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA. From ilmar, talinn.[/p][/quote]just get on and build em , dont listen to the snobs sitting tightly in their 5 bedroom homes . noodlesnewman
  • Score: 0

9:20am Mon 2 Jun 14

mickey01 says...

don't these nimbys realise that the homes they are living in were once fields and the talk of rat runs are just scaremongering
don't these nimbys realise that the homes they are living in were once fields and the talk of rat runs are just scaremongering mickey01
  • Score: -1

9:33am Mon 2 Jun 14

forest hump says...

Greedy, selfish people.
Greedy, selfish people. forest hump
  • Score: -2

9:37am Mon 2 Jun 14

thesaint says...

nimbys typical selfish people ,lets flatten their homes and return to the beautiful fields it once was and see if they like it,
nimbys typical selfish people ,lets flatten their homes and return to the beautiful fields it once was and see if they like it, thesaint
  • Score: 0

9:55am Mon 2 Jun 14

one in a million says...

There is stacks of space in Alresford for new houses and lots of other rural areas where only the rich can afford. Slash the ammount of houses already planned in crowded areas with poor infrastructure (Eastleigh/Fareham) and build there, where 320 houses would not make much difference at all.
There is stacks of space in Alresford for new houses and lots of other rural areas where only the rich can afford. Slash the ammount of houses already planned in crowded areas with poor infrastructure (Eastleigh/Fareham) and build there, where 320 houses would not make much difference at all. one in a million
  • Score: 0

10:20am Mon 2 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

InsomnyaBorealys wrote:
A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA.
From ilmar, talinn.
"Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term."

Socialism and communism seemed to work wonders in Estonia during the long failed experiment that ended in 1990. it must be a mystery that since free and fair elections were introduced, the socialists have not been asked to form a government to carry on the good work, and the rest of Europe doesn't seem too keen on them either.
[quote][p][bold]InsomnyaBorealys[/bold] wrote: A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA. From ilmar, talinn.[/p][/quote]"Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term." Socialism and communism seemed to work wonders in Estonia during the long failed experiment that ended in 1990. it must be a mystery that since free and fair elections were introduced, the socialists have not been asked to form a government to carry on the good work, and the rest of Europe doesn't seem too keen on them either. Torchie1
  • Score: 2

2:03pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Bella1980 says...

The comments are interesting... I am an SO24 resident and have a very modest house with my young family. We are not snobs and we are not rich. My husband grew up in Alresford and his family still live here. We are against the building for many reasons. A full EIA has not been completed, nor has an SIA, Alresford does not have the infrastructure to support the additional housing. There is a long list of why the proposed site may not work. What we are looking for is an alternative, we would welcome additional, affordable housing to the town. When WCC and ATC start communicating in an effective manner, we will be very happy to talk with them and look at alternative plans.
The comments are interesting... I am an SO24 resident and have a very modest house with my young family. We are not snobs and we are not rich. My husband grew up in Alresford and his family still live here. We are against the building for many reasons. A full EIA has not been completed, nor has an SIA, Alresford does not have the infrastructure to support the additional housing. There is a long list of why the proposed site may not work. What we are looking for is an alternative, we would welcome additional, affordable housing to the town. When WCC and ATC start communicating in an effective manner, we will be very happy to talk with them and look at alternative plans. Bella1980
  • Score: 9

2:24pm Mon 2 Jun 14

WinchesterLocal says...

Any development within a relatively small town is likely to lead to a mixture of views. Some people will clearly be opposed to any development at all, of any sort.

However, for clarity, this is a development on a very large scale. The proposed development isn't simply for 320 homes (although that is certainly part of the proposal). It's also proposed to introduce a large new industrial site and a travellers site, both of which are being questioned by the local community. In addition, the plan would involve the creation of a new junction from the A31, reducing the effectiveness of the existing bypass.

The situation isn't helped by a perceived lack of communication from WCC and, until recently, from the Town Council.

If the plan were to go ahead (unchanged), then it would clearly have a significant impact on many within the local community. Contrary to some of the comments made above, the reality is that many of those that would receive the greatest impact are also residing in modest homes, in a part of the town that is particularly popular with young families.

Although a range of views have been expressed, it would be incorrect to state that the people of Alresford are anti-development. Many in the town are strongly in favour of an increase in affordable housing. My own (personal) view is that I would like to see a significant number of council houses built within the town, in order to ensure the future vitality of the town.

There are, however, significant concerns regarding the way in which the planned development has been proposed.
Any development within a relatively small town is likely to lead to a mixture of views. Some people will clearly be opposed to any development at all, of any sort. However, for clarity, this is a development on a very large scale. The proposed development isn't simply for 320 homes (although that is certainly part of the proposal). It's also proposed to introduce a large new industrial site and a travellers site, both of which are being questioned by the local community. In addition, the plan would involve the creation of a new junction from the A31, reducing the effectiveness of the existing bypass. The situation isn't helped by a perceived lack of communication from WCC and, until recently, from the Town Council. If the plan were to go ahead (unchanged), then it would clearly have a significant impact on many within the local community. Contrary to some of the comments made above, the reality is that many of those that would receive the greatest impact are also residing in modest homes, in a part of the town that is particularly popular with young families. Although a range of views have been expressed, it would be incorrect to state that the people of Alresford are anti-development. Many in the town are strongly in favour of an increase in affordable housing. My own (personal) view is that I would like to see a significant number of council houses built within the town, in order to ensure the future vitality of the town. There are, however, significant concerns regarding the way in which the planned development has been proposed. WinchesterLocal
  • Score: 3

2:41pm Mon 2 Jun 14

homes4people says...

There is no need for an EIA for the local plan. Any ideas what an SIA is answers on a post card please. The EIA and many other studies are being carried out as we speak. These studies are part of the planning application process. If we don't get our act together we could end up with 700houses at Sun Lane. I welcome the development and find it bold and refreshing that environmental considerations seem to be at the forefront of the process which is excellent. Sadly past developments and recent garden grabbing development has not taken much regard to social, economic and environment matters hence the unsustainable pattern of development in the town. It is time to redress the balance. The houses equates to four apple down closes over 20 years. Let's get real eh?
There is no need for an EIA for the local plan. Any ideas what an SIA is answers on a post card please. The EIA and many other studies are being carried out as we speak. These studies are part of the planning application process. If we don't get our act together we could end up with 700houses at Sun Lane. I welcome the development and find it bold and refreshing that environmental considerations seem to be at the forefront of the process which is excellent. Sadly past developments and recent garden grabbing development has not taken much regard to social, economic and environment matters hence the unsustainable pattern of development in the town. It is time to redress the balance. The houses equates to four apple down closes over 20 years. Let's get real eh? homes4people
  • Score: 1

6:08pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Grinner says...

I generally agree with homes4people. It is refreshing that environmental concerns are being taken into account and hopefully this will be a sustainable and affordable development that positively effects Alresford. Regrettably most of the comments here are from people who quite clearly have never visited Alresford and hold prejudices by the bucket-load. There's nothing nimby-ish about being concerned about the impact the development will have on the already over-loaded infrastructure of this small market town.
I generally agree with homes4people. It is refreshing that environmental concerns are being taken into account and hopefully this will be a sustainable and affordable development that positively effects Alresford. Regrettably most of the comments here are from people who quite clearly have never visited Alresford and hold prejudices by the bucket-load. There's nothing nimby-ish about being concerned about the impact the development will have on the already over-loaded infrastructure of this small market town. Grinner
  • Score: -1

8:40pm Mon 2 Jun 14

cromwell9 says...

Torchie1 wrote:
InsomnyaBorealys wrote:
A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA.
From ilmar, talinn.
"Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term."

Socialism and communism seemed to work wonders in Estonia during the long failed experiment that ended in 1990. it must be a mystery that since free and fair elections were introduced, the socialists have not been asked to form a government to carry on the good work, and the rest of Europe doesn't seem too keen on them either.
You cheeky git .
Go back to your own country you moron,
If it wasnt for GB/USA you would be under the NAZI jack boot.
UKIP is not a facist party ,It just wants to get rid of people like you .
Without the UK you would still be up the trees painting your faces,
Be carefull what you say ,Or you will end up in the TOWER ,.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]InsomnyaBorealys[/bold] wrote: A small illustration of why all is going wrong with england now, whenever the authorites do something positive and progressive, conservative and ultra selfish people stop it. So what will happen when there aren't enough houses and electricity? Because people living in the area have protested and stopped it. Most are old people who will be dead when it all goes like that anyway. I am a east European, I have been in Germany and Denmark and many others places, when a wind farm or housing opens there they celebrate but here it is all me me me, thank you Thatcher and America worshipping eleite, you really messd up a good country which fought against Facism and now you gave the English people facism anyway! I can't understand english citizens don't do so something about it, look in Ukraine people didn't want the Kyiv american puppets so they fought against them, time you see how america is poisoning you with ultra individualism, which getting back to this artikle is relevant, now all people think about is themselves and don't care about others. Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term. Realise UKIP are a puppet movement dreamt up by USA , look their financial policy and its all free market nonsense and semi faciam with defense industry etc, don't be decieved by the. Apart from the french who hate most foreigners, no Europeans hate you but you hate us for some reason? We are just realists and stand up to USA bullying and the NSA. From ilmar, talinn.[/p][/quote]"Socialism via the EU is the only way onward, we will be proved right in the long term." Socialism and communism seemed to work wonders in Estonia during the long failed experiment that ended in 1990. it must be a mystery that since free and fair elections were introduced, the socialists have not been asked to form a government to carry on the good work, and the rest of Europe doesn't seem too keen on them either.[/p][/quote]You cheeky git . Go back to your own country you moron, If it wasnt for GB/USA you would be under the NAZI jack boot. UKIP is not a facist party ,It just wants to get rid of people like you . Without the UK you would still be up the trees painting your faces, Be carefull what you say ,Or you will end up in the TOWER ,. cromwell9
  • Score: -1

8:52pm Mon 2 Jun 14

cromwell9 says...

If all the imigrants went home .There would be plenty of houses and jobs for the BRITS.
Dont come on here and tell me that without imigration the NHS would fall apart;
We have plenty of young people waiting to be trained as nurses ,and doctors etc .
The only reason we have all this developement going on is because LABOUR let 5 MILLION imigrants in when they were in power,LIB DEMS are just as guilty as well .
Well it has to stop .Other wise we will have no countryside left,
Do you know there are over 1MILLION home empty in the UK,..
If you built on every piece of land in the UK .Builders would still want more land ,You will never solve the housing in this small iland,By keep building more homes.
If all the imigrants went home .There would be plenty of houses and jobs for the BRITS. Dont come on here and tell me that without imigration the NHS would fall apart; We have plenty of young people waiting to be trained as nurses ,and doctors etc . The only reason we have all this developement going on is because LABOUR let 5 MILLION imigrants in when they were in power,LIB DEMS are just as guilty as well . Well it has to stop .Other wise we will have no countryside left, Do you know there are over 1MILLION home empty in the UK,.. If you built on every piece of land in the UK .Builders would still want more land ,You will never solve the housing in this small iland,By keep building more homes. cromwell9
  • Score: 2

12:59pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Lockssmart says...

Nimbys
Nimbys Lockssmart
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree