RESIDENTS have spoken of their shock after a house in their neighbourhood was targeted by arsonists.
It’s thought to be the second time in a year the property has been subjected to an attack – the latest incident happening in the early hours of yesterday.
Neighbours told how they woke to find emergency services in their road and a police cordon put in place.
The blaze is now under investigation while police have made arrests in connection with the drama which saw a classic Saab torched at the home in Saxon Road, Blackfield.
A 24-year-old man was arrested for arson and assault with intent to resist arrest while a 52-year-old man from Fawley was also arrested on suspicion of assault.
Firefighters arrived at the scene after the alarm was raised just after 5am, to find a classic Saab on fire on the driveway.
One resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It’s not the first time it’s happened.
“Within the last year the same house was targeted.
“I just find it disturbing that it’s the same house that’s been targeted.
“The first I knew about it was when I saw the cordon when I woke up at about 7.30am.”
But police and the fire service were unable to confirm any previous incidents at that address.
It is unknown how much the car was worth but the damage appeared to be limited to the interior.
Other locals said they were surprised at the incident as the area is usually very quiet.
Mike Elliott, 69, retired, from Saxon Road, said: “I don’t really come across arson incidents here. It’s very quiet. It’s a very peaceful area – I think we’re just lucky.”
Chris Robinson, 73, retired, from Newlands Close, said: “It’s very unusual. It’s quite shocking because this is such a quiet place. You hear about these things going on elsewhere but you don’t expect it in your vicinity.”
Tony Croucher, 59, an assistant groundsman from Saxon Close, added: “It’s unusual. We don’t normally get an awful lot of trouble around here. Generally it’s a very good area.”
The resident of the house where the car was parked declined to comment when approached by the Daily Echo.
A Hampshire police spokesman confirmed no one was injured in the incident.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue confirmed they attended the blaze and sent one appliance from Hardley Fire Station.They were on the scene for around 20 minutes, using a hose reel to extinguish the flames.