A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- PHOTOS: Famous Southampton hotel being demolished but are you in our picture gallery?
- Police hunt two after crowds watching Morris men kicked and spat on
- Shock as bank announces two branch closures in Hampshire
- Anger as cash slashed in battle against Hampshire's obesity crisis
- Motorists set for four months of misery with major works to start
- Former offices in city centre could become flats
- Man left with serious head injuries after brutal attack on high street
- PHOTOS: Here's where to find the best Pokemon in Southampton
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.