A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Rooftop drama as police shut roads due to man on tower block
- Teen critically injured in speedboat crash to make 'full recovery'
- No verdict in 'ginger Aryan terror attack trial'
- Protesters take to streets of Southampton to campaign against cuts
- PHOTOS: Foxes starts her world record bid with gig in Southampton
- Hundreds of Southampton flats set for £9m improvements
- Victory for campaign as Government set to ban legal highs
- Drunk man rescued from railings after getting stuck
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.