A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- LATEST VIDEO AND PHOTOS: Flooding and traffic chaos after thunderstorm and torrential rain
- VIDEO AND PHOTOS: 'Leaver' Michael Gove visits Southampton ahead of historic EU referendum
- Laughing and smiling acid attacker who 'loves violence in every form' jailed
- Multi-million pound plan to boost city's retail and entertainment
- Brothers to be sentenced for vicious acid attack
- City art group awarded £50,000 to create work in historic building
- Cancer charity chiefs to see rewards of their work at Southampton General Hospital
- Boris Johnson: Why Southampton should vote to leave the EU
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.