A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Southampton shop to re-open after £500,000 makeover
- WATCH: 'Fantastic and emotional' flashmob filmed in Westquay
- Redbridge and Millbrook flyovers to be shut for 'noisy' roadworks
- HOUR-LONG delays on major Southampton commuter route
- Marco Pierre White to launch Southampton restaurant
- Hunt for witness after woman plunged from third-floor window
- Man charged with drugs and firearms offence after police raid Southampton home
- Man arrested after cash-in-transit robbery at pub
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.