A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- PHOTOS: Delight as Southampton WFC crowned champions
- Man found dead after firefighters burst into flat
- MURDER INVESTIGATION LATEST: 'Blood on the walls' after man found dead in Southampton flat
- Masterchef winner opens her first restaurant in Southampton
- "It was crazy" - the busman on Saints' 1976 FA Cup celebration tour
- "I don't know where I'm going to go" - woman, 76, evicted from home
- Newsagents allowed to extend opening hours despite residents' concerns
- Pub backs Daily Echo's GP appointment campaign
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.