A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Grandmother and child escape 'faulty' car fireball
- UPDATED: Could Scott survive Strictly with the help of boyband 1D?
- Saints back new youth outreach campaign
- Flybe pulls plug on new flights from city airport
- Local beauty hopes to wow judges at international pageant
- Woman pleads with drivers to ditch mobile phones after life-wrecking accident
- UPDATE: Families rescued from flats as firefighters tackle major city blaze
- Mourners gather for Pennie's funeral
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.