A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- UPDATE: Girl arrested after 13-year-old 'viciously attacked' as 40 youngsters looked on
- PHOTOS: Debris thrown across Southampton street after crash
- Southampton grandmother, 77, chases 'despicable' home intruder after attempted mugging
- WEATHER AND FLOOD ALERT: Storm Angus brings 80mph winds and flooding across Hampshire
- VIDEO AND PHOTOS: Blaze devastates house and creates huge smoke plume
- PHOTOS: Southampton store devastated after fire rips through building
- Diesel drivers could be charged to enter city in major air pollution shake-up
- £21,000 raids gang hunted
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.