A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Van containing more than £1,600 worth of Amazon parcels stolen
- PHOTOS: Major chain opens £1million Southampton outlet
- PHOTOS: Super slimmer Shane helping others get fit after shedding six stone himself
- WATCH: Southampton impressionist takes on Donald Trump
- PHOTOS: Flagship arts centre up for award despite not even being open yet
- Meet the 'Naked Midwives' helping new mums prepare for the big day
- Southampton named one of the fastest growing cities in the UK
- £500,000 lottery boost for charity scheme supporting Hampshire's young people
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.