A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- 'No' to cull of councillors - but what do they do?
- New ideas and new organisers for Black History Month 2015
- Family return to scene of devastation after house explodes
- Hackers use webcams to spy on homes and businesses
- Southampton Christmas market bosses warned to 'shape up or ship out'
- VIDEO: 'I thought I was going to die when my house blew up'
- Four buses attacked in an hour by vandals
- Residents' victory over fishy pong that's plagued community
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.