A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Customers queue for opening of new Southampton shop
- Pole-wielding man smashed grandmother's window and threatened her
- Health support group celebrates its tenth anniversary
- PHOTOS: Residents flee from late-night blaze in Southampton
- Beauty brand set to open new Southampton store
- Rogue trader who fleeced vulnerable victims told to pay back thousands of pounds
- Campaign to free up city's empty and unused buildings
- Customer's van 'broke down at 35mph' just minutes after leaving car dealer
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.