A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Arrest made after fires at hotels in Southampton
- Woman rescued from burning home in Southampton
- WANTED: Hunt for man following arson attacks at Southampton hotels
- Lorry stuck on Southampton bridge causes delays
- Man 'on way to Southampton' admits killing 9-year-old girl
- Fire at Southampton hotel
- WATCH: Hampshire winter sports ace performs amazing world first in Italy
- Bus services diverted after crash in Southampton
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.