A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Southampton finally gets a Christmas tree as city rallies together
- REVIEW: Cinderella at the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton
- WIN! A selection of the year's best DVDs
- Bank to move 1,000 staff out of Southampton
- 'My ex shared naked pictures of me with millions of people'
- Husband threatened to kill ill wife with blowtorch
- Shares sale sees jobs at Hampshire hotel and spa saved
- 20 weeks of roadworks to begin on Southampton bridge
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.