Hampshire residents have joined thousands around the world taking the ice bucket challenge for charity

David Beckham takes the ice bucket challenge

David Beckham takes the ice bucket challenge

First published in News
Last updated
by

THOUSANDS of people around the world have been pouring litres of icy water over themselves and filming the result.

In fact, it’s fair to say the ice bucket challenge has taken the Internet by storm.

Celebrities and sports stars from far and wide have been queuing up to take part in the phenomenon, all in the name of charity.

They include Tom Cruise, Bill Gates, Usain Bolt, Gwen Stefani, the Beckham family and Kermit the Frog.

The craze appeared to start when former Boston College baseball player Peter Frates challenged professional baseball players to dump a bucket full of freezing cold water over their heads after he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), known as Motor Neurone Disease (MND) in the UK.

The movement started to gather pace from mid-July, and in August, Macmillan Cancer Support retweeted a video of one of their supporters taking part in the challenge on their behalf.

People film themselves enduring the icy shower, upload the footage to social media sites, donate money to either Motor Neurone Disease Association or Macmillan Cancer Support and then nominate three other people to do the same within 24 hours.

The ice bucket challenge has so far raised more than £14 million for charity.

Southampton schoolboy Charlie Young, 14, took part in the chilly challenge in memory of his granddad, David Young, who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer in December.

He said: “I wanted to do the ice bucket challenge to help spread the awareness of the need for funds to help aid the research into a cure for cancer.

“I like that the idea of the ice bucket challenge is crazy but fun.

“It has captured the attention of the world, including many celebrities, and if they can do it so can we.

“Although it was very cold, I enjoyed doing the challenge.”

Daily Echo:

Charlie Young, 14, takes the ice bucket challenge

Denise Davies, head of community fundraising at the MND Association, said: "Without the amazing support of people, the MND Association simply would not be able to provide its vital support services and fund research to find a cure.

"Together we are making a real difference for people affected by this devastating disease."

"It was really, really cold," said Neil Chapman, a charity worker from Southampton.

"But it's such a great idea to raise awareness that charities so desperately need.

Daily Echo:

Neil Chapman takes the challenge

"Although not everybody knows somebody who sufferers from motor neurone disease, sadly, everybody knows someone who has suffered from cancer.

"So it's good that people get to choose which charity they donate to. I chose Macmillan. It is just something a bit different that everyone can get involved in."

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:25am Sat 23 Aug 14

mickey01 says...

Getting fed up with it now !
Getting fed up with it now ! mickey01
  • Score: 6

11:36am Sat 23 Aug 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

I chose MND and Mcmillan.
I chose MND and Mcmillan. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: -3

2:23pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Shoong says...

Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse. Shoong
  • Score: 6

2:48pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

Shoong wrote:
Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse.
See how saying these things can be turned around on you?
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.[/p][/quote]Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you? Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: -2

2:53pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Shoong says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Shoong wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?
I don't see many people having sex for charity.

Sex is a natural biological urge.

Pouring water over yourself isn't.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.[/p][/quote]Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?[/p][/quote]I don't see many people having sex for charity. Sex is a natural biological urge. Pouring water over yourself isn't. Shoong
  • Score: 5

2:55pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

Shoong wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Shoong wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?
I don't see many people having sex for charity.

Sex is a natural biological urge.

Pouring water over yourself isn't.
So is having a regular bath or shower somewhat perverse? Are you going to have a stink week in aid of those who need water? I doubt it, you probably have a bath/shower every other day.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.[/p][/quote]Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?[/p][/quote]I don't see many people having sex for charity. Sex is a natural biological urge. Pouring water over yourself isn't.[/p][/quote]So is having a regular bath or shower somewhat perverse? Are you going to have a stink week in aid of those who need water? I doubt it, you probably have a bath/shower every other day. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: -10

3:11pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Huffter says...

Shoong wrote:
Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
I doubt whether African water is being used.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.[/p][/quote]I doubt whether African water is being used. Huffter
  • Score: 6

4:00pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Paramjit Bahia says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Shoong wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?
I don't see many people having sex for charity.

Sex is a natural biological urge.

Pouring water over yourself isn't.
So is having a regular bath or shower somewhat perverse? Are you going to have a stink week in aid of those who need water? I doubt it, you probably have a bath/shower every other day.
Ginger, now you know why many Tories stink.

Not only physically but also politically.

You are interested in helping the needy, they have no compassion
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.[/p][/quote]Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?[/p][/quote]I don't see many people having sex for charity. Sex is a natural biological urge. Pouring water over yourself isn't.[/p][/quote]So is having a regular bath or shower somewhat perverse? Are you going to have a stink week in aid of those who need water? I doubt it, you probably have a bath/shower every other day.[/p][/quote]Ginger, now you know why many Tories stink. Not only physically but also politically. You are interested in helping the needy, they have no compassion Paramjit Bahia
  • Score: -4

4:16pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Shoong says...

Paramjit Bahia wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
Shoong wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.
Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?
I don't see many people having sex for charity.

Sex is a natural biological urge.

Pouring water over yourself isn't.
So is having a regular bath or shower somewhat perverse? Are you going to have a stink week in aid of those who need water? I doubt it, you probably have a bath/shower every other day.
Ginger, now you know why many Tories stink.

Not only physically but also politically.

You are interested in helping the needy, they have no compassion
Stunning ignorance somehow equating my comment to be a Tory voter and assuming that I don't support good causes.

I don't happen to use ice cold water for cleansing either, although that might be a good idea for you Mr Bahia.

I wonder what the people trapped on mountains in Iraq or Ethiopians would think seeing people pouring water over themselves would think.
[quote][p][bold]Paramjit Bahia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: Considering there are people dying in parts of Africa from lack of water, this seems rather perverse.[/p][/quote]Considering millions are dying from AIDs in africa, having sex seems rather perverse. See how saying these things can be turned around on you?[/p][/quote]I don't see many people having sex for charity. Sex is a natural biological urge. Pouring water over yourself isn't.[/p][/quote]So is having a regular bath or shower somewhat perverse? Are you going to have a stink week in aid of those who need water? I doubt it, you probably have a bath/shower every other day.[/p][/quote]Ginger, now you know why many Tories stink. Not only physically but also politically. You are interested in helping the needy, they have no compassion[/p][/quote]Stunning ignorance somehow equating my comment to be a Tory voter and assuming that I don't support good causes. I don't happen to use ice cold water for cleansing either, although that might be a good idea for you Mr Bahia. I wonder what the people trapped on mountains in Iraq or Ethiopians would think seeing people pouring water over themselves would think. Shoong
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree