Forest ponies hit by dangerous disease

Ponies in the New Forest.

Ponies in the New Forest.

First published in News

PONY owners in the New Forest are on high alert today after a major outbreak of a potentially fatal disease.

Dozens of animals have been struck down by strangles, a highly contagious respiratory infection that kills scores of equines in the UK each year.

Two round-ups and a pony sale have been cancelled in a bid to stop the disease – which is spreading like never before, making it almost impossible to predict where it will strike next.

And riders exercising their horses in the Forest are being urged to keep them away from the thousands of ponies that graze the landscape.

Round-ups, known as drifts, were due to be staged at Burley Rocks on Sunday, September 7 and Burley Lawn on Sunday, September 14, but animals in the two areas are among those that have developed the disease.

Sue Westwood, clerk to the Verderers, said: “We’re looking at each area and won’t drift where the problem is bad.

“Herding ponies together in a pound would risk spreading the infection and the agisters don’t want their horses getting too close to any infected ponies.

“It’s not following the pattern it usually does.

“In the past it would start in one place and go to neighbouring areas.

“This time areas are being missed out, so it’s impossible to predict.”

The outbreak of the disease began in the Lyndhurst area in the spring and then spread on to Brockenhurst.

Ponies in Hill Top and Blackfield have also been affected.

The vast majority are expected to recover, but at least one animal is known to have died.

The Animal Health Trust (AHT) is spearheading attempts to develop a new vaccine to help combat the disease.

An AHT spokesman said: “Strangles is a very unpleasant and potentially fatal disease, which causes a great deal of suffering.

“However, with care, outbreaks can be controlled and the worst effects can be avoided.”

New Forest Livestock Society confirmed that a sale which was due to have been held at the Beaulieu Road yard on Wednesday, September 10 had been cancelled following the outbreak.

A spokesman said the sales events attracted animals and their owners from across the country and added: “We knew we had to act responsibly and follow what the other organisations were doing.

“We don’t want to spread the problem.”

New Forest ponies are owned by commoners – villagers with the right to let their animals graze the area.

Graham Ferris, chairman of the Commoners’ Defence Association, said he fully supported the steps which were being taken to stop the disease from spreading.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:38pm Mon 1 Sep 14

burgerboy says...

"Forest ponies hit by dangerous disease".........mak
es a change, there usually hit by motorist's and cyclist's.
"Forest ponies hit by dangerous disease".........mak es a change, there usually hit by motorist's and cyclist's. burgerboy
  • Score: 11

8:57pm Mon 1 Sep 14

geoff51 says...

I blame the mass influx of wiggle cyclists and those who ride bikes off path spreading this awful disease amongst the forest ponies. Ban all cyclists from the forest.
I blame the mass influx of wiggle cyclists and those who ride bikes off path spreading this awful disease amongst the forest ponies. Ban all cyclists from the forest. geoff51
  • Score: 22

10:56pm Mon 1 Sep 14

forest hump says...

geoff51 wrote:
I blame the mass influx of wiggle cyclists and those who ride bikes off path spreading this awful disease amongst the forest ponies. Ban all cyclists from the forest.
Look out! There's a ginge about !!
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: I blame the mass influx of wiggle cyclists and those who ride bikes off path spreading this awful disease amongst the forest ponies. Ban all cyclists from the forest.[/p][/quote]Look out! There's a ginge about !! forest hump
  • Score: 23

11:04pm Mon 1 Sep 14

geoff51 says...

forest hump wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
I blame the mass influx of wiggle cyclists and those who ride bikes off path spreading this awful disease amongst the forest ponies. Ban all cyclists from the forest.
Look out! There's a ginge about !!
No there wont be he only comments on cycling items, a real one trick pony! Seriously strangles is a horrible equine disease that affects the animals breathing and can be fatal.
[quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: I blame the mass influx of wiggle cyclists and those who ride bikes off path spreading this awful disease amongst the forest ponies. Ban all cyclists from the forest.[/p][/quote]Look out! There's a ginge about !![/p][/quote]No there wont be he only comments on cycling items, a real one trick pony! Seriously strangles is a horrible equine disease that affects the animals breathing and can be fatal. geoff51
  • Score: 24

10:40am Tue 2 Sep 14

camerajuan says...

3 pathetic humans expectedly adding pathetic comments.

Lower than normal kids, making a joke at a fatal disease. Pathetic.
3 pathetic humans expectedly adding pathetic comments. Lower than normal kids, making a joke at a fatal disease. Pathetic. camerajuan
  • Score: -9

11:59am Tue 2 Sep 14

camerajuan says...

Oh silly me, I guess I was wrong.

Cyclists are giving Ponies strangles. Yeah, that's the only plausible explanation. Utter infants.
Oh silly me, I guess I was wrong. Cyclists are giving Ponies strangles. Yeah, that's the only plausible explanation. Utter infants. camerajuan
  • Score: -7

4:19pm Tue 2 Sep 14

geoff51 says...

camerajuan wrote:
Oh silly me, I guess I was wrong.

Cyclists are giving Ponies strangles. Yeah, that's the only plausible explanation. Utter infants.
As usual you sad insignificant little tic you have risen to the bait and made yourself look stupid, you just cant help yourself can you? If your chosen method of transport is so important, why do you have to jump to its defence if someone dares to critisise it? As a reasonable knowledgeable horse person I know the horror of strangles and off road cycling does more damage to the infrastructure of the forest than you realise.
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: Oh silly me, I guess I was wrong. Cyclists are giving Ponies strangles. Yeah, that's the only plausible explanation. Utter infants.[/p][/quote]As usual you sad insignificant little tic you have risen to the bait and made yourself look stupid, you just cant help yourself can you? If your chosen method of transport is so important, why do you have to jump to its defence if someone dares to critisise it? As a reasonable knowledgeable horse person I know the horror of strangles and off road cycling does more damage to the infrastructure of the forest than you realise. geoff51
  • Score: 11

8:02am Wed 3 Sep 14

theoriginalwasp says...

They'll probably blame the cyclists...
They'll probably blame the cyclists... theoriginalwasp
  • Score: -4

12:37pm Wed 3 Sep 14

camerajuan says...

geoff51 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
Oh silly me, I guess I was wrong.

Cyclists are giving Ponies strangles. Yeah, that's the only plausible explanation. Utter infants.
As usual you sad insignificant little tic you have risen to the bait and made yourself look stupid, you just cant help yourself can you? If your chosen method of transport is so important, why do you have to jump to its defence if someone dares to critisise it? As a reasonable knowledgeable horse person I know the horror of strangles and off road cycling does more damage to the infrastructure of the forest than you realise.
Blah blah blah Jeffy, its all we ever hear from you is blah blah blah.

Blah blah ruddy cyclists blah blah no reason blah blah blame them for EVERYTHING.

Can you hear yourself?! If something is important to me, why do I defend it when it's criticised?!?! The question answers itself. Are you so blinded by your red mist that you can't see that?!?!

I'm not stupid Jeffy, I just fail to see your problem because you never actually say what it is. Innocent victims of your pointless rage. If I kept saying it was your fault that the high street smells like old clothes stored in a damp garage for 20 years over and over again without explaining myself, you'd be bored soon.

You can make up any nonsense you like but until you back your rambling up with hard facts that actually exist outside of your mind then no word from your mouth will have any substance. Child.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: Oh silly me, I guess I was wrong. Cyclists are giving Ponies strangles. Yeah, that's the only plausible explanation. Utter infants.[/p][/quote]As usual you sad insignificant little tic you have risen to the bait and made yourself look stupid, you just cant help yourself can you? If your chosen method of transport is so important, why do you have to jump to its defence if someone dares to critisise it? As a reasonable knowledgeable horse person I know the horror of strangles and off road cycling does more damage to the infrastructure of the forest than you realise.[/p][/quote]Blah blah blah Jeffy, its all we ever hear from you is blah blah blah. Blah blah ruddy cyclists blah blah no reason blah blah blame them for EVERYTHING. Can you hear yourself?! If something is important to me, why do I defend it when it's criticised?!?! The question answers itself. Are you so blinded by your red mist that you can't see that?!?! I'm not stupid Jeffy, I just fail to see your problem because you never actually say what it is. Innocent victims of your pointless rage. If I kept saying it was your fault that the high street smells like old clothes stored in a damp garage for 20 years over and over again without explaining myself, you'd be bored soon. You can make up any nonsense you like but until you back your rambling up with hard facts that actually exist outside of your mind then no word from your mouth will have any substance. Child. camerajuan
  • Score: -8

1:10pm Wed 3 Sep 14

From the sidelines says...

Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.
Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap. From the sidelines
  • Score: 5

3:32pm Wed 3 Sep 14

camerajuan says...

From the sidelines wrote:
Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.
I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses.

Yet I'M silly?!?!
[quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.[/p][/quote]I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses. Yet I'M silly?!?! camerajuan
  • Score: -4

8:41am Thu 4 Sep 14

From the sidelines says...

camerajuan wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.
I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses.

Yet I'M silly?!?!
Yes. You are.

Your 'blah blah blah' response shows you to be po-faced and humourless.

Time to get you head out of your arris and realise when you're being wound up. Geoff barely baited the hook for that one, yet still you bit.
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.[/p][/quote]I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses. Yet I'M silly?!?![/p][/quote]Yes. You are. Your 'blah blah blah' response shows you to be po-faced and humourless. Time to get you head out of your arris and realise when you're being wound up. Geoff barely baited the hook for that one, yet still you bit. From the sidelines
  • Score: 2

9:53am Thu 4 Sep 14

camerajuan says...

From the sidelines wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.
I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses.

Yet I'M silly?!?!
Yes. You are.

Your 'blah blah blah' response shows you to be po-faced and humourless.

Time to get you head out of your arris and realise when you're being wound up. Geoff barely baited the hook for that one, yet still you bit.
Oh sod off, my head is nowhere but on my shoulders.

If that's what you call a wind up then you really have no sense of comedy or humour in you.

Making a joke about a fatal equine disease is pathetic and immature. I stated thusly and was jumped on. It's up to you whether you see it that way or not. I really don't care. This forum is not my life.
[quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.[/p][/quote]I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses. Yet I'M silly?!?![/p][/quote]Yes. You are. Your 'blah blah blah' response shows you to be po-faced and humourless. Time to get you head out of your arris and realise when you're being wound up. Geoff barely baited the hook for that one, yet still you bit.[/p][/quote]Oh sod off, my head is nowhere but on my shoulders. If that's what you call a wind up then you really have no sense of comedy or humour in you. Making a joke about a fatal equine disease is pathetic and immature. I stated thusly and was jumped on. It's up to you whether you see it that way or not. I really don't care. This forum is not my life. camerajuan
  • Score: 1

7:53pm Thu 4 Sep 14

geoff51 says...

camerajuan wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
From the sidelines wrote:
Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.
I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses.

Yet I'M silly?!?!
Yes. You are.

Your 'blah blah blah' response shows you to be po-faced and humourless.

Time to get you head out of your arris and realise when you're being wound up. Geoff barely baited the hook for that one, yet still you bit.
Oh sod off, my head is nowhere but on my shoulders.

If that's what you call a wind up then you really have no sense of comedy or humour in you.

Making a joke about a fatal equine disease is pathetic and immature. I stated thusly and was jumped on. It's up to you whether you see it that way or not. I really don't care. This forum is not my life.
If its not your life how come you spend so much time being obnoxious on it?
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: Oh, CJ, you fell into Geoff's idiot trap. Very poor show old chap.[/p][/quote]I didn't actually. I knew fine well he was being his usual pr@ self. My first comment was very general and aimed at 3 people trying to be funny about a disease that kills horses. Yet I'M silly?!?![/p][/quote]Yes. You are. Your 'blah blah blah' response shows you to be po-faced and humourless. Time to get you head out of your arris and realise when you're being wound up. Geoff barely baited the hook for that one, yet still you bit.[/p][/quote]Oh sod off, my head is nowhere but on my shoulders. If that's what you call a wind up then you really have no sense of comedy or humour in you. Making a joke about a fatal equine disease is pathetic and immature. I stated thusly and was jumped on. It's up to you whether you see it that way or not. I really don't care. This forum is not my life.[/p][/quote]If its not your life how come you spend so much time being obnoxious on it? geoff51
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree