THE man who killed a Hamsphire teenager in a hit and run crash will appeal his six-year sentence today.
Health and safety executive Brian Hampton was jailed in October last year after being convicted of perverting the course of justice following the crash which claimed Jade Clark's life.
But he will appear before the Court of Appeal in London in an attempt to overturn his sentence, although not his conviction.
The former paramedic, 58, was found guilty by a jury after just 51 minutes of deliberations at Bournemouth Crown Court.
He was sent to prison for causing the crash and then attempting to evade justice.
Hairdresser Jade,f rom Ringwood, was just 16 when she was killed after being struck by Hampton’s Volvo XC90 as she travelled along the A31 near Ringwood on the evening of February 24 last year.
The father-of-two, of Hornash Lane in Shadoxhurst, near Ashford, stopped briefly before driving off and leaving Jade exposed to fast-moving traffic.
He later arranged for the damage caused to his car in the collision to be repaired at a garage in Kent, but didn’t turn himself in, leading to a month-long hunt by police officers before his eventual arrest on March 21.
Hampton pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, two counts of driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance.
Judge Samuel Wiggs sentenced him to four years for perverting the course of justice and two for death by dangerous driving.
In January, the Daily Echo reported that Jade’s devastated family have collected over a thousand signatures calling for the speed limit on the A31 to be reduced.
Mum Sharon, 42, said she was “disgusted” to hear that Hampton was appealing his sentence.
“I felt so sick,” she said.
A spokesperson from the court said Hampton’s case will be heard at around 10am before a full court.