When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
35-year-old dead after attack in the early hours in Eastleigh
Updated 7:59pm Sunday 30th March 2014 in News
This live event has finished
- Police launch murder probe after death of 35-year-old in street fight
- Detectives hunt missing shoe as investigation gets underway in Eastleigh
- Two men arrested on suspicion of murder
- Death shocks High Street residents and shoppers
Scene guard lifted at Eastleigh High St. Thanks to local residents for your patience and understanding whilst we investigate tragic murder— @DCIPaul 30 March 2014
Meanwhile, police say they have lifted the cordons and are gradually leaving the scene of the tragedy.
This sign has been placed on the door of Newsmarket, suggesting it will close "until further notice".
Police say they have 24 hours in which to question to men arrested on suspicion of murder. After this, they can apply for an extension if needed.
A steady stream of people have been leaving flowers outside the Newsmarket news agents this afternoon.
Neighbours were awoken by police knocking on their doors as officers and paramedics rushed to the man.
Earlier they heard shouting and raised voices but assumed it was people returning home on Saturday night.
One woman said: "I heard some shouting but thought it was normal Saturday night sounds.
" you always here people shoving pushing and mucking around."
A 28-year-old man said: "My wife heard raised voices but the first thing I knew was looking out and seeing all the police cars."
He adds: "Outside the shop, there are bunches of flowers. There are also people coming from the Swan Centre coming to see what is happening after learning of the tragic incident.
"Every five minutes or so, neighbours are coming out of their homes and enquiring about what's happened.
"There is shock and commotion within the community."
Daily Echo reporter Maxwell Kusi-Obodum has this from the scene: "The white forensic tent has been taken down, but there are still a large number of police cars around - about four or five still in the street.
"Meanwhile there are still detectives carrying out door-to-door enquiries and talking to residents.
"There are also shocked regulars standing outside the Chamberlaine Arms nearby.
"Some were gasping, holding their heads in their hands and looking shocked by what has happened."
Flowers are being left outside the Newsmarket newsagents.
Police have now lifted part of the cordon following initial searches in the area.
A short while ago, police removed a blue Peugeot car from the scene.
It was reversed on to a flat bed truck and transported from the scene for examination.
To recap; police have arrested two local men in their 20s following the death of a 35-year-old man.
Eastleigh High Street has been cordoned off at the spot where the man was found in the early hours of the morning.
He was rushed to hospital where he died a short while later.
Scenes of crime investigators have been on Eastleigh High Street all morning trying to piece together what happened.
The community has been left in shock by the death.
Flowers have been left close to the scene with messages of condolence.
One note says simply: "So very sad".
Forensics have started a detailed search of the area.
Martin Long, 46, from nearby Market Street, said: "I got a call earlier this morning from a friend asking if I was ok because someone got injured.
"We are a little town you don't expect this here.
"This is a big one off."
Forensics officers in masks have been working at the scene while officers have been standing guard outside the Newsmarket newsagent.
Victoria Naava, 42, from nearby Chamberlaine Road, who tried to visit the shop today said: "This is unbelievable.
"It's the first time I've heard of anything like this happening in Eastleigh."
THE Mayor of Eastleigh today expressed his shock at the killing.
Cllr Malcolm Cross said: “It is shocking. Eastleigh is generally a very safe place. We pride ourselves on having a safe area.
“It is very sad. I feel for his parents, family or partner.”
Police have called their investigation Operation Bedale. An appeal has been issued for witnesses to the fight.
A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: "Anyone who has information which can assist this investigation is urged to call 101 and quote Operation Bedale.
"Alternatively, information can be left anonymously with Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111."
Forensics have been conducting a finger tip search of the area, even checking public bins in their hunt for clues.
The death has already sent shockwaves through what is a close-knit community.
One resident, Stephen Slominski, said: “I am very shocked. It is not what you expect. Eastleigh has a very low crime rate. We don't know if it was an altercation in a house or perhaps someone has gone outside to remonstrate with someone and been attacked.”
Police have cordoned off an area of the High Street and a white tent has been erected in the middle of the road, just yards from the busy Swan Centre and close to houses.
Daily Echo reporter Maxwell Kusi-Obodum is at the scene this morning. He told us this: "The incident, in the heart of the town centre busy with Sunday shoppers, has been attracting a lot of attention with passers-by watching the police activity.
"Forensic officers in white overalls and some in face masks are examining the area. Three police vans are parked up.
"Two shops, a newsagent and a tattoo parlour are closed as they stand within the sealed off area."
A post mortem will be conducted by a Home Office pathologist either later today or tomorrow, to help establish cause of death.
Officers and ambulance crew attended swiftly this morning, and the man was taken to Southampton General Hospital where he died a short time later.
Video of the scene in Eastleigh High Street.
Det Supt Barton added: "We believe it is possible that one of the suspects may have lost their footwear during the altercation and we would ask that if any local residents find any shoes discarded in their garden or alrong the road from the route along the High Street to Chestnut Avenue to please just contact us and we will collect them."
The investigation took a fresh twist as it was revealed police are looking for footwear that one of their suspects may have lost during the alleged fight this morning.
"We will be studying CCTV from the area, and we urge anyone who witnessed this incident or has any information which could help us to come forward and speak to us as soon as possible," said Det Supt Barton.
The investigation is being run by Hampshire's Major Investigation Team.
Det Supt Paul Barton said this morning: "We want to reassure local residents that this appears to be an isolated incident, and if they have any concerns to come forward and speak to officers who will be in the area today.
A white tent has been erected on the road and forensics in white suits are working at the scene.
And as the situation developed this morning, police revealed they had arrested two men, aged 25 and 22. They have been arrested and are currently in custody.
Shocked residents have been waking up to find emergency services working at the scene.
Scenes of crime officers are this morning working in the High Street area gathering clues to the attack.
Part of the High Street was closed at 5.45am and is likely to remain shut all day, said a police spokeswoman this morning.
Police believe there was an altercation in the residential area of the High Street at around 4.30am in which a 35-year-old local man sustained severe head injuries. His identity has not been released.
A murder probe is underway in Eastleigh today after an attack in the early hours of this morning
Comments are closed on this article.