A WAR veteran died from exposure to asbestos during his time in the military, an inquest heard.

Eric Catchpole died at Lymington New Forest Hospital after being diagnosed with the lung cancer mesothelioma.

A Southampton inquest heard how the 90-year-old great-grandfather from Campion Way, Lymington, served as a stoker for the Royal Navy.

He worked and even slept in ship engine rooms lagged with asbestos, the inquest was told.

He died on April 5.

Pathologist Dr Norman Carr told the inquest the pensioner’s lungs showed evidence of asbestos exposure, plus chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Southampton deputy coroner Gordon Denson recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.