Firefighters across Hampshire to walk out as pensions dispute rolls on

Firefighters to strike again over pensions row

Firefighters to strike again over pensions row

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

FIREFIGHTERS in Hampshire will go out on strike again as a dispute over pensions rolls on.

The 24-hour strike - the longest so far in the three-year campaign - will take place from 9am on June 12.

Another one has been arranged for 10am until 5pm on June 21.

The firefighters will not carry out any voluntary overtime or conduct training of strikebreakers between the first strike and 9am on June 22.

The action has been called by the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) after the government confirmed it would implement a new pension scheme without further negotiations.

It comes after FBU officials met Brandon Lewis, fire minister, in the hope discussions could continue on Tuesday (June 3).

But the decision to strike was made at the FBU's executive council yesterday.

Mr Lewis opened a consultation on the proposals to signal an end to discussions with firefighters over the scheme on May 23.

But the Department for Communities and Local Government has yet to publish alternative proposals.

Firefighters contribute 11% towards pensions.

The FBU says firefighters pay more than £4,000 a year from a £29,000 salaray and the government has announced it will impose another increase in 2015.

Under the government’s proposals, firefighters who are forced to retire before the age of 60 as a result of ageing will have half of their pension taken away.

The two strikes will be the 13th and 14th over pensions.

The first was on September 24, 2013.

Matt Wrack, general secretary of the FBU, said: “The minister has decided to bury his head in the sand, but he must accept that firefighters simply will not give up fighting for their futures — and our fire and rescue service.

“Concerns over these unworkable proposals remain as valid and grave as ever, and the government has ignored all the evidence including it’s own reports.

“It is as ever a difficult decision for us to take, but the only way for us to resolve this unnecessary and costly dispute is for the government to start listening to reason.”

 

Comments (46)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:30pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Jonny Maths says...

yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"... Jonny Maths
  • Score: -8

1:47pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life Woolston ollie
  • Score: 10

1:55pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Jonny Maths says...

Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
[quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless. Jonny Maths
  • Score: -6

2:07pm Thu 5 Jun 14

issacchunt says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
Well said, the 'you won't say that when your house is on fire' argument is pathetic.

could the Echo confirm the fire service strikers lose pay when on strike? Public sympathy continues to slip away, no one is a special case no matter how big your ego is.
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]Well said, the 'you won't say that when your house is on fire' argument is pathetic. could the Echo confirm the fire service strikers lose pay when on strike? Public sympathy continues to slip away, no one is a special case no matter how big your ego is. issacchunt
  • Score: -4

2:19pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Tallship says...

They should be grateful they have job that gives them a pension. What will striking achive? Nothing apart from put lives at risk. Grow up and smell the roses people.
They should be grateful they have job that gives them a pension. What will striking achive? Nothing apart from put lives at risk. Grow up and smell the roses people. Tallship
  • Score: -3

2:43pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Brite Spark says...

I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.
I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep. Brite Spark
  • Score: 8

3:26pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Woolston ollie says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
They might be on strike but will cover any emergency that arises
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]They might be on strike but will cover any emergency that arises Woolston ollie
  • Score: 9

4:04pm Thu 5 Jun 14

camerajuan says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax.

No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax. No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more. camerajuan
  • Score: 9

4:39pm Thu 5 Jun 14

working man says...

I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are. working man
  • Score: 16

4:46pm Thu 5 Jun 14

working man says...

And by the way when we're are on strike we don't get paid but if a life threatening call comes in we will still attend the incident and help who ever needs us.
And by the way when we're are on strike we don't get paid but if a life threatening call comes in we will still attend the incident and help who ever needs us. working man
  • Score: 10

4:46pm Thu 5 Jun 14

southy says...

At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years.
Keep the good work up FBU
At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years. Keep the good work up FBU southy
  • Score: 2

4:59pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Inform Al says...

working man wrote:
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
Try not to get upset by the trolls on this site, they are in main a lot of Tory vankers.
[quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.[/p][/quote]Try not to get upset by the trolls on this site, they are in main a lot of Tory vankers. Inform Al
  • Score: 5

5:41pm Thu 5 Jun 14

issacchunt says...

camerajuan wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax.

No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.
Main duty? Really? So few fires that you have to do this
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax. No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.[/p][/quote]Main duty? Really? So few fires that you have to do this issacchunt
  • Score: -1

5:46pm Thu 5 Jun 14

issacchunt says...

working man wrote:
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
Not a hatred, this is where you ego takes over your understanding that society what you do when you do it. But you and your fellow firefighters believe you are a special case. You're not!

Look at the many disabled british servicemen coming back from afghan etc, you already have a better package than them. Realise you will not win this fight.

I honestly respect the work you do but I am a realist suffering this finacial situation
[quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.[/p][/quote]Not a hatred, this is where you ego takes over your understanding that society what you do when you do it. But you and your fellow firefighters believe you are a special case. You're not! Look at the many disabled british servicemen coming back from afghan etc, you already have a better package than them. Realise you will not win this fight. I honestly respect the work you do but I am a realist suffering this finacial situation issacchunt
  • Score: -6

5:59pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Nod says...

camerajuan wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax.

No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.
They're free to go and find another job
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax. No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.[/p][/quote]They're free to go and find another job Nod
  • Score: -8

6:41pm Thu 5 Jun 14

George4th says...

working man wrote:
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
"We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. "

WE, the Tax Payers, pay a LOT of money towards your Pension, and your Wonderful Benefits Package! You get an Excellent pension and Benefits Package plus very good Holidays and Time Off!

Public Sector Pensions are unsustainable!

The young will refuse to pay towards your pension if you're not careful!

Yes, I appreciate what you do in an Emergency but there has to be a line drawn on the value of the job. You have more than reached that line.

Everyone who is in a job is doing an important job!
[quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.[/p][/quote]"We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. " WE, the Tax Payers, pay a LOT of money towards your Pension, and your Wonderful Benefits Package! You get an Excellent pension and Benefits Package plus very good Holidays and Time Off! Public Sector Pensions are unsustainable! The young will refuse to pay towards your pension if you're not careful! Yes, I appreciate what you do in an Emergency but there has to be a line drawn on the value of the job. You have more than reached that line. Everyone who is in a job is doing an important job! George4th
  • Score: -9

7:00pm Thu 5 Jun 14

working man says...

issacchunt wrote:
working man wrote:
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
Not a hatred, this is where you ego takes over your understanding that society what you do when you do it. But you and your fellow firefighters believe you are a special case. You're not!

Look at the many disabled british servicemen coming back from afghan etc, you already have a better package than them. Realise you will not win this fight.

I honestly respect the work you do but I am a realist suffering this finacial situation
It is hatred. How do you know what the majority of our calls are. Fires in fact are on the up and how many times have you risked your life for a stranger mmmm. I'm proud of being a fire fighter and proud we are taking a stand and letting a greedy government know we stick together. And as your talking about service personnel. I'm 100% behind our armed forces and would not be against them getting more money and more help when injured. I'm proud of our hero's who fought for this country 70 years ago. What I don't like is people like you who don't have clue what's going on slagging off people who help others and yes I mean fire fighters.
[quote][p][bold]issacchunt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.[/p][/quote]Not a hatred, this is where you ego takes over your understanding that society what you do when you do it. But you and your fellow firefighters believe you are a special case. You're not! Look at the many disabled british servicemen coming back from afghan etc, you already have a better package than them. Realise you will not win this fight. I honestly respect the work you do but I am a realist suffering this finacial situation[/p][/quote]It is hatred. How do you know what the majority of our calls are. Fires in fact are on the up and how many times have you risked your life for a stranger mmmm. I'm proud of being a fire fighter and proud we are taking a stand and letting a greedy government know we stick together. And as your talking about service personnel. I'm 100% behind our armed forces and would not be against them getting more money and more help when injured. I'm proud of our hero's who fought for this country 70 years ago. What I don't like is people like you who don't have clue what's going on slagging off people who help others and yes I mean fire fighters. working man
  • Score: 6

7:05pm Thu 5 Jun 14

working man says...

George4th wrote:
working man wrote:
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
"We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. "

WE, the Tax Payers, pay a LOT of money towards your Pension, and your Wonderful Benefits Package! You get an Excellent pension and Benefits Package plus very good Holidays and Time Off!

Public Sector Pensions are unsustainable!

The young will refuse to pay towards your pension if you're not careful!

Yes, I appreciate what you do in an Emergency but there has to be a line drawn on the value of the job. You have more than reached that line.

Everyone who is in a job is doing an important job!
So a pen pusher or a footballer is ok with what they are getting is that what your saying. Or a greedy MP. I know when I get home I have earned every penny and I do think all emergency services should get more money. And by the way I'm a tax payer to.
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.[/p][/quote]"We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. " WE, the Tax Payers, pay a LOT of money towards your Pension, and your Wonderful Benefits Package! You get an Excellent pension and Benefits Package plus very good Holidays and Time Off! Public Sector Pensions are unsustainable! The young will refuse to pay towards your pension if you're not careful! Yes, I appreciate what you do in an Emergency but there has to be a line drawn on the value of the job. You have more than reached that line. Everyone who is in a job is doing an important job![/p][/quote]So a pen pusher or a footballer is ok with what they are getting is that what your saying. Or a greedy MP. I know when I get home I have earned every penny and I do think all emergency services should get more money. And by the way I'm a tax payer to. working man
  • Score: 6

7:34pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years.
Keep the good work up FBU
The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years. Keep the good work up FBU[/p][/quote]The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time. Torchie1
  • Score: -3

7:41pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Superior Being says...

Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y
et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............
.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo
uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up Superior Being
  • Score: 5

7:46pm Thu 5 Jun 14

mickey01 says...

i got to work way beyond 65 just to survive and i have worked all my life yet some peolple think that they can retire at 50 and still get a good wack
i got to work way beyond 65 just to survive and i have worked all my life yet some peolple think that they can retire at 50 and still get a good wack mickey01
  • Score: 0

8:02pm Thu 5 Jun 14

issacchunt says...

Superior being? I understand what you say and due to the continuous stream of dishonest politicians I cannot bring myself to vote anymore. That said firefighters cannot have whst we cannot afford, kept fit and healthy by training everyday 50 is too young to retire. Retiring and taking a big pension for maybe 30 years. We cannot afford it. Take what you paid in plus a decent percentage yes but you or they want a big pension which is no longer affordable for society. I am not willing to fund this and see british servicemen going without, they deserve more than the fire service. Your answer is give it to all of them. Who can afford that.
Superior being? I understand what you say and due to the continuous stream of dishonest politicians I cannot bring myself to vote anymore. That said firefighters cannot have whst we cannot afford, kept fit and healthy by training everyday 50 is too young to retire. Retiring and taking a big pension for maybe 30 years. We cannot afford it. Take what you paid in plus a decent percentage yes but you or they want a big pension which is no longer affordable for society. I am not willing to fund this and see british servicemen going without, they deserve more than the fire service. Your answer is give it to all of them. Who can afford that. issacchunt
  • Score: -5

10:00pm Thu 5 Jun 14

wknight says...

I am sure everyone here appreciates the job they do but the public sector pension system is unaffordable. If you think your new deal is bad, spare a thought for the typical worker in the private sector. We have to build up a pot of money and live off that, 100% unpredictable, you will know roughly what your pension is.

If you factor in what your salary would have to be in the private sector to build up the equivalent pension pot you are VERY WELL PAID.

Bet you wouldn't swap your job for my well paid job in the private sector. Retirement for me is a major income drop.
I am sure everyone here appreciates the job they do but the public sector pension system is unaffordable. If you think your new deal is bad, spare a thought for the typical worker in the private sector. We have to build up a pot of money and live off that, 100% unpredictable, you will know roughly what your pension is. If you factor in what your salary would have to be in the private sector to build up the equivalent pension pot you are VERY WELL PAID. Bet you wouldn't swap your job for my well paid job in the private sector. Retirement for me is a major income drop. wknight
  • Score: 3

10:25pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Jonny Maths says...

Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
They might be on strike but will cover any emergency that arises
bollux
[quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]They might be on strike but will cover any emergency that arises[/p][/quote]bollux Jonny Maths
  • Score: -1

10:27pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Jonny Maths says...

working man wrote:
I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.
don't bother then... get another job.... if you are on strike then you are hardly "emergency" services... stop whinging and join the real world... You would let my house burn down if you were on strike so you are no bl**dy fire fighter... you are a selective "hero"....
[quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: I am a hard working fire fighter who has risked my life on a number of occasions for the good people of Southampton. But reading some of the **** comments on here makes me wonder why I bother. We do not sit around all day and when we are not on an emergency call we are in the drill yard training. If you think the job is so cushy then why are you not doing it. I will tell you why because all fire fighters hard working, honest and caring and love nothing more than saving someone's life, and by your stupid comments I can tell you would never be a fire fighter. We pay alot of money for our pensions and the government want us to pay more and gets loads less and work till we are 60. This is the same government who gave themselves a £10.000 pay rise and made there pensions even better. And don't worry isachunt because even though you seem to have a hatred of fire fighters we will still be there when you need us because that's the type of people we are.[/p][/quote]don't bother then... get another job.... if you are on strike then you are hardly "emergency" services... stop whinging and join the real world... You would let my house burn down if you were on strike so you are no bl**dy fire fighter... you are a selective "hero".... Jonny Maths
  • Score: -3

11:00pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Jonny Maths says...

Superior Being wrote:
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y

et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............

.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo

uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.
[quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up[/p][/quote]I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing. Jonny Maths
  • Score: -3

11:13pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Sir Ad E Noid says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Are these the same type of people that wouldn't go in to a boating lake to save a person who drowned in three feet of water in Gosport? Was this our Fire Brigade Heroes? I think not. I have a strong regard for the Emergency Services and especially the Fire Brigade. Bur, the use of "Heroes" I am afraid is reserved for the UK Armed Forces, and the continual belittling of the Fire Brigade because they are on strike is depressing. Many, many people do unpalatable and dangerous jobs, fighting fires is one of them. To describe the Fire Brigade as "greedy lazy "heroes"..." is a bit much.
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Are these the same type of people that wouldn't go in to a boating lake to save a person who drowned in three feet of water in Gosport? Was this our Fire Brigade Heroes? I think not. I have a strong regard for the Emergency Services and especially the Fire Brigade. Bur, the use of "Heroes" I am afraid is reserved for the UK Armed Forces, and the continual belittling of the Fire Brigade because they are on strike is depressing. Many, many people do unpalatable and dangerous jobs, fighting fires is one of them. To describe the Fire Brigade as "greedy lazy "heroes"..." is a bit much. Sir Ad E Noid
  • Score: -1

11:16pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Sir Ad E Noid says...

Sir Ad E Noid wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Are these the same type of people that wouldn't go in to a boating lake to save a person who drowned in three feet of water in Gosport? Was this our Fire Brigade Heroes? I think not. I have a strong regard for the Emergency Services and especially the Fire Brigade. Bur, the use of "Heroes" I am afraid is reserved for the UK Armed Forces, and the continual belittling of the Fire Brigade because they are on strike is depressing. Many, many people do unpalatable and dangerous jobs, fighting fires is one of them. To describe the Fire Brigade as "greedy lazy "heroes"..." is a bit much.
But
[quote][p][bold]Sir Ad E Noid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Are these the same type of people that wouldn't go in to a boating lake to save a person who drowned in three feet of water in Gosport? Was this our Fire Brigade Heroes? I think not. I have a strong regard for the Emergency Services and especially the Fire Brigade. Bur, the use of "Heroes" I am afraid is reserved for the UK Armed Forces, and the continual belittling of the Fire Brigade because they are on strike is depressing. Many, many people do unpalatable and dangerous jobs, fighting fires is one of them. To describe the Fire Brigade as "greedy lazy "heroes"..." is a bit much.[/p][/quote]But Sir Ad E Noid
  • Score: -1

11:17pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

I appreciate that we need a fire service.
I also appreciate that on rare occasions the fire service risk there lives.
What I do not appreciate is the waste of taxpayers money on equipment and facilities that are squandered on this emergency service.
For example:
The fire services in the UK seem to change their fire tenders on a regular basis .
These vehicles are like new when they are sold with very low mile ages and operating hours.
A majority of them get sold to fire services in the Republic of Ireland .
These fire services operate these tenders for another ten years plus.
In my view the fire services could run those vehicles for a lot longer.
This way more of the brigade budgets could be spent on personnel .
I appreciate that we need a fire service. I also appreciate that on rare occasions the fire service risk there lives. What I do not appreciate is the waste of taxpayers money on equipment and facilities that are squandered on this emergency service. For example: The fire services in the UK seem to change their fire tenders on a regular basis . These vehicles are like new when they are sold with very low mile ages and operating hours. A majority of them get sold to fire services in the Republic of Ireland . These fire services operate these tenders for another ten years plus. In my view the fire services could run those vehicles for a lot longer. This way more of the brigade budgets could be spent on personnel . Balsamic
  • Score: -1

11:25pm Thu 5 Jun 14

ferndun says...

Brite Spark wrote:
I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.
Have you picked up your non contributory service pension yet? A fire fighter now pays £360 per month into the pension in comparison to a member of the armed services who pays nothing. I fully support the work that both the fire service and the armed forces undertake but sometimes people need to be aware of the facts.
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.[/p][/quote]Have you picked up your non contributory service pension yet? A fire fighter now pays £360 per month into the pension in comparison to a member of the armed services who pays nothing. I fully support the work that both the fire service and the armed forces undertake but sometimes people need to be aware of the facts. ferndun
  • Score: 3

11:45pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

ferndun wrote:
Brite Spark wrote:
I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.
Have you picked up your non contributory service pension yet? A fire fighter now pays £360 per month into the pension in comparison to a member of the armed services who pays nothing. I fully support the work that both the fire service and the armed forces undertake but sometimes people need to be aware of the facts.
Have you spent weeks away from your loved ones lately.
In a hostile environment ,living in a tent in hot uncomfortable conditions.
Have you attended a fire where some fanatic has planted an IED under the sand ready to kill or maim you.
Have you been shot at or had an RPG sent your way when you go out in your fire engine.
No.
Please don't compare the job of a fireman to that of a soldier on patrol in Helmand.
[quote][p][bold]ferndun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.[/p][/quote]Have you picked up your non contributory service pension yet? A fire fighter now pays £360 per month into the pension in comparison to a member of the armed services who pays nothing. I fully support the work that both the fire service and the armed forces undertake but sometimes people need to be aware of the facts.[/p][/quote]Have you spent weeks away from your loved ones lately. In a hostile environment ,living in a tent in hot uncomfortable conditions. Have you attended a fire where some fanatic has planted an IED under the sand ready to kill or maim you. Have you been shot at or had an RPG sent your way when you go out in your fire engine. No. Please don't compare the job of a fireman to that of a soldier on patrol in Helmand. Balsamic
  • Score: 1

12:35am Fri 6 Jun 14

southy says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years.
Keep the good work up FBU
The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.
Thats why the governments have been voted in on the minority vote, the days off a government going in office on the majority ended in the 80's when people started to realise who every they vote into power there will be no change.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years. Keep the good work up FBU[/p][/quote]The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.[/p][/quote]Thats why the governments have been voted in on the minority vote, the days off a government going in office on the majority ended in the 80's when people started to realise who every they vote into power there will be no change. southy
  • Score: -1

8:16am Fri 6 Jun 14

scoobysnacks says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Superior Being wrote:
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y


et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............


.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo


uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.
Re. Cutting roofs off cars.....it's the Paramedics that decide whether a roof needs to come off or not. The fire service just do what the Paramedic says will be best for the patient.
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up[/p][/quote]I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.[/p][/quote]Re. Cutting roofs off cars.....it's the Paramedics that decide whether a roof needs to come off or not. The fire service just do what the Paramedic says will be best for the patient. scoobysnacks
  • Score: 2

8:42am Fri 6 Jun 14

working man says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Superior Being wrote:
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y


et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............


.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo


uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.
You are a complete tosser
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up[/p][/quote]I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.[/p][/quote]You are a complete tosser working man
  • Score: 3

8:42am Fri 6 Jun 14

working man says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Superior Being wrote:
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y


et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............


.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo


uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.
You are a complete tosser
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up[/p][/quote]I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.[/p][/quote]You are a complete tosser working man
  • Score: 0

8:47am Fri 6 Jun 14

camerajuan says...

issacchunt wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax.

No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.
Main duty? Really? So few fires that you have to do this
I'm guessing you don't have a firefighters job description in front of you. Idiot.
[quote][p][bold]issacchunt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax. No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.[/p][/quote]Main duty? Really? So few fires that you have to do this[/p][/quote]I'm guessing you don't have a firefighters job description in front of you. Idiot. camerajuan
  • Score: 0

8:49am Fri 6 Jun 14

camerajuan says...

Nod wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
Woolston ollie wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...
Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life
they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.
Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax.

No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.
They're free to go and find another job
Oh yeah, just like that! Forgot that was such an easy choice to make!
[quote][p][bold]Nod[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woolston ollie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: yawn, who cares, greedy lazy "heroes"...[/p][/quote]Lets hope you dont get caught up in an incident that requires those greedy lazy heroes to save your life[/p][/quote]they won't because they will be on strike...... its pretty hard to save someones life when you are loafing around at home playing xbox whilst striking for a day......they are worst than useless.[/p][/quote]Hey, £29k for a job which your main duty would be to RUN INTO A BUILDING WHILST IT IS ON FIRE AND POSSIBLY CARRY PEOPLE OUT, is a ridiculous amount to be paid. I know people on £40k+ that only work half a day and sometimes have weeks off at a time, walking away with £3k a month after tax. No emergency service staff member gets what they deserve. I'd kill for that wage right now but with that job I'd expect more.[/p][/quote]They're free to go and find another job[/p][/quote]Oh yeah, just like that! Forgot that was such an easy choice to make! camerajuan
  • Score: 1

9:51am Fri 6 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years.
Keep the good work up FBU
The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.
Thats why the governments have been voted in on the minority vote, the days off a government going in office on the majority ended in the 80's when people started to realise who every they vote into power there will be no change.
Given the chance to break the mould it seems that eighteen voters in Newark selected the Patriotic Socialist who polled almost a quarter of the votes given to 'Bus Pass Elvis' and one third of the votes given to the 'Stop Banks' party. The 'Loony' party walked away with almost ten times the number of votes that socialism attracted and the Trade Union Officer standing for the Greens beat the Lib-Dem with an eye watering 2.73% of the votes cast. Labour lost 5% in the year leading to the next election which isn't looking good for the party that hopes to form the next government, the Conservatives lost 9% of their vote but walked home with a comfortable majority and once again UKIP have upset the apple cart for everyone. The days of majority governments may slip away and then there can be more coalitions but all of this can't hide the fact that no-one votes for a party that is on the extremes of the political spectrum.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years. Keep the good work up FBU[/p][/quote]The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.[/p][/quote]Thats why the governments have been voted in on the minority vote, the days off a government going in office on the majority ended in the 80's when people started to realise who every they vote into power there will be no change.[/p][/quote]Given the chance to break the mould it seems that eighteen voters in Newark selected the Patriotic Socialist who polled almost a quarter of the votes given to 'Bus Pass Elvis' and one third of the votes given to the 'Stop Banks' party. The 'Loony' party walked away with almost ten times the number of votes that socialism attracted and the Trade Union Officer standing for the Greens beat the Lib-Dem with an eye watering 2.73% of the votes cast. Labour lost 5% in the year leading to the next election which isn't looking good for the party that hopes to form the next government, the Conservatives lost 9% of their vote but walked home with a comfortable majority and once again UKIP have upset the apple cart for everyone. The days of majority governments may slip away and then there can be more coalitions but all of this can't hide the fact that no-one votes for a party that is on the extremes of the political spectrum. Torchie1
  • Score: 1

11:56am Fri 6 Jun 14

southy says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years.
Keep the good work up FBU
The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.
Thats why the governments have been voted in on the minority vote, the days off a government going in office on the majority ended in the 80's when people started to realise who every they vote into power there will be no change.
Given the chance to break the mould it seems that eighteen voters in Newark selected the Patriotic Socialist who polled almost a quarter of the votes given to 'Bus Pass Elvis' and one third of the votes given to the 'Stop Banks' party. The 'Loony' party walked away with almost ten times the number of votes that socialism attracted and the Trade Union Officer standing for the Greens beat the Lib-Dem with an eye watering 2.73% of the votes cast. Labour lost 5% in the year leading to the next election which isn't looking good for the party that hopes to form the next government, the Conservatives lost 9% of their vote but walked home with a comfortable majority and once again UKIP have upset the apple cart for everyone. The days of majority governments may slip away and then there can be more coalitions but all of this can't hide the fact that no-one votes for a party that is on the extremes of the political spectrum.
Newark is a Tory safe seat and is why UKIP came second, the surprise if there was going to be any would of been a Right wing Labour win but that has never been on the cards to happen Even Labour knows that and why they put up a paper candidate the same as all other party,s did. UKIP was the only real challenge the Tory's had, but then they are just Tory's them selfs. The Tory's them selfs are an extreme party.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: At lest the Fire brigade is fighting for what is right, Unions have gone soft, people have gone soft, there was a time a Government would not dare to do what they have done in the last 35 years. Keep the good work up FBU[/p][/quote]The government is there to take charge of the country and not all of the decisions are popular. If unions want to run the country they can stand for election and present their manifesto to the whole population, but of course they have, haven't they and the votes cast were indicative of what the majority think. The 1970s are in the past, let the decade rest in peace along with the unions that almost ruined the country during that time.[/p][/quote]Thats why the governments have been voted in on the minority vote, the days off a government going in office on the majority ended in the 80's when people started to realise who every they vote into power there will be no change.[/p][/quote]Given the chance to break the mould it seems that eighteen voters in Newark selected the Patriotic Socialist who polled almost a quarter of the votes given to 'Bus Pass Elvis' and one third of the votes given to the 'Stop Banks' party. The 'Loony' party walked away with almost ten times the number of votes that socialism attracted and the Trade Union Officer standing for the Greens beat the Lib-Dem with an eye watering 2.73% of the votes cast. Labour lost 5% in the year leading to the next election which isn't looking good for the party that hopes to form the next government, the Conservatives lost 9% of their vote but walked home with a comfortable majority and once again UKIP have upset the apple cart for everyone. The days of majority governments may slip away and then there can be more coalitions but all of this can't hide the fact that no-one votes for a party that is on the extremes of the political spectrum.[/p][/quote]Newark is a Tory safe seat and is why UKIP came second, the surprise if there was going to be any would of been a Right wing Labour win but that has never been on the cards to happen Even Labour knows that and why they put up a paper candidate the same as all other party,s did. UKIP was the only real challenge the Tory's had, but then they are just Tory's them selfs. The Tory's them selfs are an extreme party. southy
  • Score: 0

1:58pm Fri 6 Jun 14

sass says...

Hey McKeown, what is salaray?
Hey McKeown, what is salaray? sass
  • Score: 0

7:18pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

Privatise the lot
Privatise the lot Balsamic
  • Score: 0

10:32am Sat 7 Jun 14

Superior Being says...

Jonny Maths wrote:
Superior Being wrote:
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y


et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............


.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo


uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.
where do you honestly get your views from...........The fire brigade don't decide whether to cut the roof off a car at an incident............
its the call of the doctor on scene whether the casualty need to be kept still or whether they can just get out the door.
You are just proving you are either making things up or listening to old wives tales, or maybe you are disgruntled for some reason. Either way, what ever you are thinking is false.
[quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up[/p][/quote]I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.[/p][/quote]where do you honestly get your views from...........The fire brigade don't decide whether to cut the roof off a car at an incident............ its the call of the doctor on scene whether the casualty need to be kept still or whether they can just get out the door. You are just proving you are either making things up or listening to old wives tales, or maybe you are disgruntled for some reason. Either way, what ever you are thinking is false. Superior Being
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

Yep defina privatise it
Yep defina privatise it Balsamic
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Balsamic says...

Definatly
Definatly Balsamic
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Sat 7 Jun 14

scoobysnacks says...

Superior Being wrote:
Jonny Maths wrote:
Superior Being wrote:
Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y



et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause.

Johnny math
issacchunt
tallship............



.do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about.
Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring.

Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo



uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash.

If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with.
However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up
I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.
where do you honestly get your views from...........The fire brigade don't decide whether to cut the roof off a car at an incident............

its the call of the doctor on scene whether the casualty need to be kept still or whether they can just get out the door.
You are just proving you are either making things up or listening to old wives tales, or maybe you are disgruntled for some reason. Either way, what ever you are thinking is false.
It is rare for a doctor to be on scene. As I've already pointed out, it is the decision of the Paramedics in attendance whether the roof needs to be removed.
[quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonny Maths[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Superior Being[/bold] wrote: Politicians who earn a shed load of money to do nothing strenuous. They lie, cheat and steal tax payers money..............y et people seem to have a problem with firefighters fighting a cause. Johnny math issacchunt tallship............ .do you honestly have any idea what the dispute is actually about, or do you just see it as something to get in your ivory tower about. Firefighters already pay a high percentage of their wages into their pension. The government are asking that they pay even more ( do you pay 14% of every months wages to your pension) the government want them to work longer and receive a smaller pension after retiring. Work longer: so you think it's just firefighters making a fuss, do you even know that there was a report showing that the majority of firefighters at the age of 60 will not be able to do the job safely............wo uld you be happy with 4 firefighters of the age of 60 turning up with your house on fire or more likely you in a car crash. If the comments are simply people "trolling" then we pity you for being so sad and lonely that you have to trawl the internet to find someone to communicate with. However on the other hand if you honestly don't believe the government are destroying a public service and hiding it well (who knew they could lie) then you are just short sighted and need to wake up[/p][/quote]I actually support their cause on many points... I just think claiming to be "an emergency service" and then going on strike is utterly pathetic... and shows them for what they are. Why should they get massive pensions if they are not a true emergency service.... they take the pi55 all the time , cut the roofs off of cars for a laugh and keep station tallies for "posh" cars they have wrecked... being a "fire fighter" is a total doss compared to armed services, police and health service front line. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing.[/p][/quote]where do you honestly get your views from...........The fire brigade don't decide whether to cut the roof off a car at an incident............ its the call of the doctor on scene whether the casualty need to be kept still or whether they can just get out the door. You are just proving you are either making things up or listening to old wives tales, or maybe you are disgruntled for some reason. Either way, what ever you are thinking is false.[/p][/quote]It is rare for a doctor to be on scene. As I've already pointed out, it is the decision of the Paramedics in attendance whether the roof needs to be removed. scoobysnacks
  • Score: 0

10:23am Sun 8 Jun 14

ferndun says...

Balsamic wrote:
ferndun wrote:
Brite Spark wrote:
I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.
Have you picked up your non contributory service pension yet? A fire fighter now pays £360 per month into the pension in comparison to a member of the armed services who pays nothing. I fully support the work that both the fire service and the armed forces undertake but sometimes people need to be aware of the facts.
Have you spent weeks away from your loved ones lately.
In a hostile environment ,living in a tent in hot uncomfortable conditions.
Have you attended a fire where some fanatic has planted an IED under the sand ready to kill or maim you.
Have you been shot at or had an RPG sent your way when you go out in your fire engine.
No.
Please don't compare the job of a fireman to that of a soldier on patrol in Helmand.
I haven't compared the job of a soldier and a fireman. I have compared the pensions. Read my comments again. There is no mention of the job roles.
[quote][p][bold]Balsamic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ferndun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: I remember coming back from Iraq and instead of going on leave with my children I was covering for striking firemen who were demanding a 27 per cent pay rise. I didn't hear one of my navy/RM colleagues complain but we did take the P out of the firemen. We also got bored when we covered their shifts as there was nothing to do apart from watch tv, play pool or sleep.[/p][/quote]Have you picked up your non contributory service pension yet? A fire fighter now pays £360 per month into the pension in comparison to a member of the armed services who pays nothing. I fully support the work that both the fire service and the armed forces undertake but sometimes people need to be aware of the facts.[/p][/quote]Have you spent weeks away from your loved ones lately. In a hostile environment ,living in a tent in hot uncomfortable conditions. Have you attended a fire where some fanatic has planted an IED under the sand ready to kill or maim you. Have you been shot at or had an RPG sent your way when you go out in your fire engine. No. Please don't compare the job of a fireman to that of a soldier on patrol in Helmand.[/p][/quote]I haven't compared the job of a soldier and a fireman. I have compared the pensions. Read my comments again. There is no mention of the job roles. ferndun
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree