The Real China in Eastleigh is reopening after voluntarily closing last week due to a salmonella outbreak

The Real China in Eastleigh is to re-open following a salmonella outbreak

The Real China in Eastleigh is to re-open following a salmonella outbreak

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

A RESTAURANT which closed after diners were struck down by an outbreak of salmonella after eating there is due to re-open.

The Real China in Eastleigh voluntarily closed earlier this month while Eastleigh Borough Council's Environmental Health Team conducted an investigation.

Following publicity and appeals for information, the council received more than 70 complaints from members of the public who ate at the Real China between July 11 and 24, when it closed, with 29 confirmed cases of salmonella.

Following the closure the restaurant management carried out a thorough deep clean of the premises, in the Swan Centre complex, and have reviewed their working practices.

The council said its Environmental Health team is satisfied that there is no significant health risk and as a result the restaurant has decided to reopen for business tonight .

A Council spokesman said: “Our Environmental Health team is carrying out a full investigation into the outbreak in conjunction with Public Health England.

“Our main priority was to protect public health and the Real China has cooperated fully, voluntarily closing until we were happy with standards of cleanliness and hygiene.

“Following significant work by the restaurant there is no reason for it to remain closed.”

Anyone who ate at the Real China between July 11 and 24 and has suffered from food poisoning symptoms should contact Helen Parsons on 023 8068 8329.

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:28pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Huey says...

Urgggghh
Urgggghh Huey
  • Score: -4

6:30pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Tallship says...

I hadn't been there for a while so was surprised when it was reported to have been closed. Hopefully now it is sorted out the customers will return.
I hadn't been there for a while so was surprised when it was reported to have been closed. Hopefully now it is sorted out the customers will return. Tallship
  • Score: 3

6:30pm Thu 31 Jul 14

steekeemcglue says...

good luck with that....
good luck with that.... steekeemcglue
  • Score: 14

6:30pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Opinionated hot mum says...

I feel sorry for them, no one is going to want to eat in there now. Give it til October and it will be closed for good. Then there's a fair chance it will become a coffee shop, because Eastleigh sure needs some more of those!
I feel sorry for them, no one is going to want to eat in there now. Give it til October and it will be closed for good. Then there's a fair chance it will become a coffee shop, because Eastleigh sure needs some more of those! Opinionated hot mum
  • Score: 13

6:43pm Thu 31 Jul 14

wossit says...

“Following significant work by the restaurant there is no reason for it to remain closed.”

How could it get that bad in such a short time !!!!!
“Following significant work by the restaurant there is no reason for it to remain closed.” How could it get that bad in such a short time !!!!! wossit
  • Score: 6

6:47pm Thu 31 Jul 14

sparkster says...

so it's had a thorough deep clean, makes you wonder when the last one was!!!!!!! It should be clean all the time and the staff given regular hygiene/food safety training
so it's had a thorough deep clean, makes you wonder when the last one was!!!!!!! It should be clean all the time and the staff given regular hygiene/food safety training sparkster
  • Score: 26

7:20pm Thu 31 Jul 14

userds5050 says...

Opinionated hot mum wrote:
I feel sorry for them, no one is going to want to eat in there now. Give it til October and it will be closed for good. Then there's a fair chance it will become a coffee shop, because Eastleigh sure needs some more of those!
I don't. I feel sorry for the folk who've been s**ting for the last two weeks.
Not sure as well why if it closed voluntarily, it was only allowed to re-open when the "council and Public Health England are satisfied that there is no longer a risk to health." as reported in the DE last week.
[quote][p][bold]Opinionated hot mum[/bold] wrote: I feel sorry for them, no one is going to want to eat in there now. Give it til October and it will be closed for good. Then there's a fair chance it will become a coffee shop, because Eastleigh sure needs some more of those![/p][/quote]I don't. I feel sorry for the folk who've been s**ting for the last two weeks. Not sure as well why if it closed voluntarily, it was only allowed to re-open when the "council and Public Health England are satisfied that there is no longer a risk to health." as reported in the DE last week. userds5050
  • Score: 9

7:20pm Thu 31 Jul 14

userds5050 says...

Opinionated hot mum wrote:
I feel sorry for them, no one is going to want to eat in there now. Give it til October and it will be closed for good. Then there's a fair chance it will become a coffee shop, because Eastleigh sure needs some more of those!
I don't. I feel sorry for the folk who've been s**ting for the last two weeks.
Not sure as well why if it closed voluntarily, it was only allowed to re-open when the "council and Public Health England are satisfied that there is no longer a risk to health." as reported in the DE last week.
[quote][p][bold]Opinionated hot mum[/bold] wrote: I feel sorry for them, no one is going to want to eat in there now. Give it til October and it will be closed for good. Then there's a fair chance it will become a coffee shop, because Eastleigh sure needs some more of those![/p][/quote]I don't. I feel sorry for the folk who've been s**ting for the last two weeks. Not sure as well why if it closed voluntarily, it was only allowed to re-open when the "council and Public Health England are satisfied that there is no longer a risk to health." as reported in the DE last week. userds5050
  • Score: -1

7:53pm Thu 31 Jul 14

mamma2780 says...

Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down mamma2780
  • Score: 15

8:01pm Thu 31 Jul 14

steekeemcglue says...

mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....
[quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner..... steekeemcglue
  • Score: 6

10:05pm Thu 31 Jul 14

crazylady80 says...

steekeemcglue wrote:
mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....
Wow ! Really? So them.having an untrained member of staff contaminating food is all good....because it just happens?
I don't think if you'd been hospitalised with salmonella you'd be quite so forgiving....!
I think you find tight professional kitchens employ well trained well managed staff and never have these issues......Jesus. ...even macdonalds don't actively poison people and the staff are usually still in nappies!!!!!I don't think you shpuld be given second chances where people's lives are concerned.
[quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....[/p][/quote]Wow ! Really? So them.having an untrained member of staff contaminating food is all good....because it just happens? I don't think if you'd been hospitalised with salmonella you'd be quite so forgiving....! I think you find tight professional kitchens employ well trained well managed staff and never have these issues......Jesus. ...even macdonalds don't actively poison people and the staff are usually still in nappies!!!!!I don't think you shpuld be given second chances where people's lives are concerned. crazylady80
  • Score: 5

10:15pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Winsaint says...

The problem this place has it operates a buffet system which means some of the food could be left out for some time during times when the restaurant is not very busy. If the food is not kept at the right temperature during this time it enters what is known as the danger zone (between 5 & 63 degrees) which allows bacteria to multiply at an alarming rate which leads to potentially cause food poisoning. If all the cases were on the same date I would not be surprised if this is what happened as it is not always down to deep cleaning it is about how you store your food once prepared.
The problem this place has it operates a buffet system which means some of the food could be left out for some time during times when the restaurant is not very busy. If the food is not kept at the right temperature during this time it enters what is known as the danger zone (between 5 & 63 degrees) which allows bacteria to multiply at an alarming rate which leads to potentially cause food poisoning. If all the cases were on the same date I would not be surprised if this is what happened as it is not always down to deep cleaning it is about how you store your food once prepared. Winsaint
  • Score: 11

10:16pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Positively4thStreet says...

My neighbours Sam an' Ella haven't been put off..they will be there tonight.
My neighbours Sam an' Ella haven't been put off..they will be there tonight. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 1

10:23pm Thu 31 Jul 14

crazylady80 says...

Winsaint wrote:
The problem this place has it operates a buffet system which means some of the food could be left out for some time during times when the restaurant is not very busy. If the food is not kept at the right temperature during this time it enters what is known as the danger zone (between 5 & 63 degrees) which allows bacteria to multiply at an alarming rate which leads to potentially cause food poisoning. If all the cases were on the same date I would not be surprised if this is what happened as it is not always down to deep cleaning it is about how you store your food once prepared.
Agreed. ....but this is food hygiene 101....I learned this stuff at school! This is a business serving a huge community........The food shouldn't be sat there for long periods.....even if it is quiet....They know this though....and they chose to do nothing about it.......and no people got truly sick. ...including a poor defenseless child.......They shpuld be made to pay for what they have done and they certainly shouldn't be allowed to re open. Ever.
[quote][p][bold]Winsaint[/bold] wrote: The problem this place has it operates a buffet system which means some of the food could be left out for some time during times when the restaurant is not very busy. If the food is not kept at the right temperature during this time it enters what is known as the danger zone (between 5 & 63 degrees) which allows bacteria to multiply at an alarming rate which leads to potentially cause food poisoning. If all the cases were on the same date I would not be surprised if this is what happened as it is not always down to deep cleaning it is about how you store your food once prepared.[/p][/quote]Agreed. ....but this is food hygiene 101....I learned this stuff at school! This is a business serving a huge community........The food shouldn't be sat there for long periods.....even if it is quiet....They know this though....and they chose to do nothing about it.......and no people got truly sick. ...including a poor defenseless child.......They shpuld be made to pay for what they have done and they certainly shouldn't be allowed to re open. Ever. crazylady80
  • Score: 1

10:34pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Waryone says...

Glad they are on the road to recovery, my family aren't. I've always been taught to show gratitude! After weeks of suffering after Real China shared their S*%t food with my family, it's only polite to visit the open restraunt and share the remains of their s#it food with their slippery dangerous floor!!!!
Glad they are on the road to recovery, my family aren't. I've always been taught to show gratitude! After weeks of suffering after Real China shared their S*%t food with my family, it's only polite to visit the open restraunt and share the remains of their s#it food with their slippery dangerous floor!!!! Waryone
  • Score: 9

10:37pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Waryone says...

All this ill health had made me spell restaurant wrong! Not that they deserve the title!
All this ill health had made me spell restaurant wrong! Not that they deserve the title! Waryone
  • Score: 6

10:37pm Thu 31 Jul 14

steekeemcglue says...

crazylady80 wrote:
steekeemcglue wrote:
mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....
Wow ! Really? So them.having an untrained member of staff contaminating food is all good....because it just happens?
I don't think if you'd been hospitalised with salmonella you'd be quite so forgiving....!
I think you find tight professional kitchens employ well trained well managed staff and never have these issues......Jesus. ...even macdonalds don't actively poison people and the staff are usually still in nappies!!!!!I don't think you shpuld be given second chances where people's lives are concerned.
I am not forgiving in the same way you can not read...... read what I said again... and try to understand it. If english is not your first language then get someone to translate for you... Training obviously does not come into it... many mechanics are fully trained yet still charge you £150 for a service when they do absolutely nothing.... try opening you eyes to the real word before typing mush.
[quote][p][bold]crazylady80[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....[/p][/quote]Wow ! Really? So them.having an untrained member of staff contaminating food is all good....because it just happens? I don't think if you'd been hospitalised with salmonella you'd be quite so forgiving....! I think you find tight professional kitchens employ well trained well managed staff and never have these issues......Jesus. ...even macdonalds don't actively poison people and the staff are usually still in nappies!!!!!I don't think you shpuld be given second chances where people's lives are concerned.[/p][/quote]I am not forgiving in the same way you can not read...... read what I said again... and try to understand it. If english is not your first language then get someone to translate for you... Training obviously does not come into it... many mechanics are fully trained yet still charge you £150 for a service when they do absolutely nothing.... try opening you eyes to the real word before typing mush. steekeemcglue
  • Score: -11

10:51pm Thu 31 Jul 14

crazylady80 says...

steekeemcglue wrote:
crazylady80 wrote:
steekeemcglue wrote:
mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....
Wow ! Really? So them.having an untrained member of staff contaminating food is all good....because it just happens?
I don't think if you'd been hospitalised with salmonella you'd be quite so forgiving....!
I think you find tight professional kitchens employ well trained well managed staff and never have these issues......Jesus. ...even macdonalds don't actively poison people and the staff are usually still in nappies!!!!!I don't think you shpuld be given second chances where people's lives are concerned.
I am not forgiving in the same way you can not read...... read what I said again... and try to understand it. If english is not your first language then get someone to translate for you... Training obviously does not come into it... many mechanics are fully trained yet still charge you £150 for a service when they do absolutely nothing.... try opening you eyes to the real word before typing mush.
Firstly..my English is good enough to know that using 'usually' twice in the same sentence is wrong.
Secondly. ...you know what salmonella is I presume? And that one small mistake couldn't cause it? So one guy not washing his hands or cleaning a pot properly wouldn't not be the culprit.
You are defending a food establishment that has had 70 reports of illness. 29 confirmed cases. And two people hospitalised. My mechanic may over charge me but he has never put me in a hospital bed.
This place deserves nothing less than bankruptcy.
And because you are such a polite and we'll mannered person, I'd happily buy you a ticket to their buffet.
[quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazylady80[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....[/p][/quote]Wow ! Really? So them.having an untrained member of staff contaminating food is all good....because it just happens? I don't think if you'd been hospitalised with salmonella you'd be quite so forgiving....! I think you find tight professional kitchens employ well trained well managed staff and never have these issues......Jesus. ...even macdonalds don't actively poison people and the staff are usually still in nappies!!!!!I don't think you shpuld be given second chances where people's lives are concerned.[/p][/quote]I am not forgiving in the same way you can not read...... read what I said again... and try to understand it. If english is not your first language then get someone to translate for you... Training obviously does not come into it... many mechanics are fully trained yet still charge you £150 for a service when they do absolutely nothing.... try opening you eyes to the real word before typing mush.[/p][/quote]Firstly..my English is good enough to know that using 'usually' twice in the same sentence is wrong. Secondly. ...you know what salmonella is I presume? And that one small mistake couldn't cause it? So one guy not washing his hands or cleaning a pot properly wouldn't not be the culprit. You are defending a food establishment that has had 70 reports of illness. 29 confirmed cases. And two people hospitalised. My mechanic may over charge me but he has never put me in a hospital bed. This place deserves nothing less than bankruptcy. And because you are such a polite and we'll mannered person, I'd happily buy you a ticket to their buffet. crazylady80
  • Score: 5

12:23am Fri 1 Aug 14

solomum says...

It is horrendous that even 1 person became ill with Salmonella, let alone several. A factor to consider though is that the restaurant did not deliberately poison their customers. I am sure they are appalled that they are the cause of ill health. Whilst I can fully understand peoples anger if they were a customer who became ill from eating at the restaurant, it is short sighted to say they should never be allowed to open again. I would imagine that none of those customers will return and the publicity and word of mouth will put several more customers off, but if the restaurant is now being classed as fit to open by the environmental health, then it is right that it reopens. A closed business = job losses. I am pretty sure environmental health will be keeping a close eye on the restaurant. How many other restaurants are breeding germs and are a case of poisoning waiting to happen? At least any customers having a meal in this restaurant will now know it has been given a clean bill of health.
It is horrendous that even 1 person became ill with Salmonella, let alone several. A factor to consider though is that the restaurant did not deliberately poison their customers. I am sure they are appalled that they are the cause of ill health. Whilst I can fully understand peoples anger if they were a customer who became ill from eating at the restaurant, it is short sighted to say they should never be allowed to open again. I would imagine that none of those customers will return and the publicity and word of mouth will put several more customers off, but if the restaurant is now being classed as fit to open by the environmental health, then it is right that it reopens. A closed business = job losses. I am pretty sure environmental health will be keeping a close eye on the restaurant. How many other restaurants are breeding germs and are a case of poisoning waiting to happen? At least any customers having a meal in this restaurant will now know it has been given a clean bill of health. solomum
  • Score: 4

7:55am Fri 1 Aug 14

miltonarcher says...

Lighten up, even a Heston Blumenthal restaurant has been closed due to food poisoning. Yes it's very unpleasant but they have clearly taken steps to correct the cause.
Lighten up, even a Heston Blumenthal restaurant has been closed due to food poisoning. Yes it's very unpleasant but they have clearly taken steps to correct the cause. miltonarcher
  • Score: 1

7:57am Fri 1 Aug 14

Ozmosis says...

crazylady80 wrote:
Winsaint wrote:
The problem this place has it operates a buffet system which means some of the food could be left out for some time during times when the restaurant is not very busy. If the food is not kept at the right temperature during this time it enters what is known as the danger zone (between 5 & 63 degrees) which allows bacteria to multiply at an alarming rate which leads to potentially cause food poisoning. If all the cases were on the same date I would not be surprised if this is what happened as it is not always down to deep cleaning it is about how you store your food once prepared.
Agreed. ....but this is food hygiene 101....I learned this stuff at school! This is a business serving a huge community........The food shouldn't be sat there for long periods.....even if it is quiet....They know this though....and they chose to do nothing about it.......and no people got truly sick. ...including a poor defenseless child.......They shpuld be made to pay for what they have done and they certainly shouldn't be allowed to re open. Ever.
"including a poor defenceless child"

Overly emotional and can't help make me think of "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!"

http://www.munsterfa
ns.com/attachment.ph
p?attachmentid=7701&
d=1382554877&thumb=1
[quote][p][bold]crazylady80[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Winsaint[/bold] wrote: The problem this place has it operates a buffet system which means some of the food could be left out for some time during times when the restaurant is not very busy. If the food is not kept at the right temperature during this time it enters what is known as the danger zone (between 5 & 63 degrees) which allows bacteria to multiply at an alarming rate which leads to potentially cause food poisoning. If all the cases were on the same date I would not be surprised if this is what happened as it is not always down to deep cleaning it is about how you store your food once prepared.[/p][/quote]Agreed. ....but this is food hygiene 101....I learned this stuff at school! This is a business serving a huge community........The food shouldn't be sat there for long periods.....even if it is quiet....They know this though....and they chose to do nothing about it.......and no people got truly sick. ...including a poor defenseless child.......They shpuld be made to pay for what they have done and they certainly shouldn't be allowed to re open. Ever.[/p][/quote]"including a poor defenceless child" Overly emotional and can't help make me think of "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!" http://www.munsterfa ns.com/attachment.ph p?attachmentid=7701& d=1382554877&thumb=1 Ozmosis
  • Score: 1

8:03am Fri 1 Aug 14

elvisimo says...

hmmm bet people will be flocking back..... Those microwaves will be working overtime.
hmmm bet people will be flocking back..... Those microwaves will be working overtime. elvisimo
  • Score: 9

8:22am Fri 1 Aug 14

crazylady80 says...

solomum wrote:
It is horrendous that even 1 person became ill with Salmonella, let alone several. A factor to consider though is that the restaurant did not deliberately poison their customers. I am sure they are appalled that they are the cause of ill health. Whilst I can fully understand peoples anger if they were a customer who became ill from eating at the restaurant, it is short sighted to say they should never be allowed to open again. I would imagine that none of those customers will return and the publicity and word of mouth will put several more customers off, but if the restaurant is now being classed as fit to open by the environmental health, then it is right that it reopens. A closed business = job losses. I am pretty sure environmental health will be keeping a close eye on the restaurant. How many other restaurants are breeding germs and are a case of poisoning waiting to happen? At least any customers having a meal in this restaurant will now know it has been given a clean bill of health.
If this was the first time they had made someone ill....then yes....They shpuld be given the chance to correct the issue. But it's not. It has been closed for the same problem before. Although they didn't intentionally poison anyone.....They didn't adhere to the correct food safety standards required by law and as such people became very ill. So intentional or not they are at fault for not taking enough Care to ensure food they were feeding people was safe to eat.
And it's an issue across the entire chain of this restaurant.
People loosing in their jobs is no pleasure but better that than people being at risk of loosing thier lives.
That may sound overly dramatic but for a young child or an elderly person this can be deadly.
I have no doubt that for the next few months they will maintain standards and be watched closely.....and I also have no doubt than within a few months the echo will be reporting that this place has yet again made people sick.
[quote][p][bold]solomum[/bold] wrote: It is horrendous that even 1 person became ill with Salmonella, let alone several. A factor to consider though is that the restaurant did not deliberately poison their customers. I am sure they are appalled that they are the cause of ill health. Whilst I can fully understand peoples anger if they were a customer who became ill from eating at the restaurant, it is short sighted to say they should never be allowed to open again. I would imagine that none of those customers will return and the publicity and word of mouth will put several more customers off, but if the restaurant is now being classed as fit to open by the environmental health, then it is right that it reopens. A closed business = job losses. I am pretty sure environmental health will be keeping a close eye on the restaurant. How many other restaurants are breeding germs and are a case of poisoning waiting to happen? At least any customers having a meal in this restaurant will now know it has been given a clean bill of health.[/p][/quote]If this was the first time they had made someone ill....then yes....They shpuld be given the chance to correct the issue. But it's not. It has been closed for the same problem before. Although they didn't intentionally poison anyone.....They didn't adhere to the correct food safety standards required by law and as such people became very ill. So intentional or not they are at fault for not taking enough Care to ensure food they were feeding people was safe to eat. And it's an issue across the entire chain of this restaurant. People loosing in their jobs is no pleasure but better that than people being at risk of loosing thier lives. That may sound overly dramatic but for a young child or an elderly person this can be deadly. I have no doubt that for the next few months they will maintain standards and be watched closely.....and I also have no doubt than within a few months the echo will be reporting that this place has yet again made people sick. crazylady80
  • Score: 2

8:58am Fri 1 Aug 14

mamma2780 says...

steekeemcglue wrote:
mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....
Sorry but this isn't the first time this place has had an outbreak of Salmonella and the entire company (it is a chain) have been cost cutting and putting peoples health at risk EVERYWHERE... Just simply by doing a google search of the company they've been having places closed down or have 'closed voluntarily' over concerns regarding their hygiene or outbreaks of food poisoning - Leicester for example had to pay out 12k in fines...the list goes on. You could argue that McDonalds may have had the same but they are massive and global so yes there is a chance that a few get shut or have outbreaks. I don't like the thought of job losses etc but a company that seems to put profit over health deserves what is thrown at them. And just incase you weren't aware - food poisoning can have some pretty nasty complications. Dehydration can lead to organ failure and infection can cause heart damage, meningitis and other life threatening conditions. These complications are rare in healthy people but in vulnerable groups can be life threatening. I know this all sounds very dramatic but I think they got lucky this time.....How many more chances will they get before something really nasty happens? And it'll be the lowest paid kitchen staff who get the blame and not the greedy company behind it all. Sorry but we don't need a place like this in our town. Sell up and give someone else a chance.
[quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....[/p][/quote]Sorry but this isn't the first time this place has had an outbreak of Salmonella and the entire company (it is a chain) have been cost cutting and putting peoples health at risk EVERYWHERE... Just simply by doing a google search of the company they've been having places closed down or have 'closed voluntarily' over concerns regarding their hygiene or outbreaks of food poisoning - Leicester for example had to pay out 12k in fines...the list goes on. You could argue that McDonalds may have had the same but they are massive and global so yes there is a chance that a few get shut or have outbreaks. I don't like the thought of job losses etc but a company that seems to put profit over health deserves what is thrown at them. And just incase you weren't aware - food poisoning can have some pretty nasty complications. Dehydration can lead to organ failure and infection can cause heart damage, meningitis and other life threatening conditions. These complications are rare in healthy people but in vulnerable groups can be life threatening. I know this all sounds very dramatic but I think they got lucky this time.....How many more chances will they get before something really nasty happens? And it'll be the lowest paid kitchen staff who get the blame and not the greedy company behind it all. Sorry but we don't need a place like this in our town. Sell up and give someone else a chance. mamma2780
  • Score: 1

9:37am Fri 1 Aug 14

From the sidelines says...

mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
Appeal to emotion. Logical fallacy.

Your argument is invalid.
[quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]Appeal to emotion. Logical fallacy. Your argument is invalid. From the sidelines
  • Score: 2

11:00am Fri 1 Aug 14

Waryone says...

Mamma2780, we know how terrible out families have been because of this restaurant. Please don't listen to any brave keyboard warriors out there and just silently wish for them to become as sick. Maybe then they will understand.
Mamma2780, we know how terrible out families have been because of this restaurant. Please don't listen to any brave keyboard warriors out there and just silently wish for them to become as sick. Maybe then they will understand. Waryone
  • Score: 2

1:27pm Fri 1 Aug 14

mamma2780 says...

Waryone wrote:
Mamma2780, we know how terrible out families have been because of this restaurant. Please don't listen to any brave keyboard warriors out there and just silently wish for them to become as sick. Maybe then they will understand.
Thanks- not even worth a response. Sad people enjoy trolling news articles like this to get a reaction as they have nothing else worthwhile to do.
[quote][p][bold]Waryone[/bold] wrote: Mamma2780, we know how terrible out families have been because of this restaurant. Please don't listen to any brave keyboard warriors out there and just silently wish for them to become as sick. Maybe then they will understand.[/p][/quote]Thanks- not even worth a response. Sad people enjoy trolling news articles like this to get a reaction as they have nothing else worthwhile to do. mamma2780
  • Score: 7

1:46pm Fri 1 Aug 14

TheSalmonMousse says...

For anyone with sympathy for the restaurant rather than the victims, have you considered:
* The burden on NHS local services when an outbreak like this happens?
* The economic impact in terms of productivity loss?
Even ignoring the emotional distress, from a cold financial basis it is idiotic to let repeat offenders continue to drain our NHS budgets and put loads of people out of work.
There would be plenty of other alternative service providers eager to snap up that location and pay a part of their profits into our tax system without having it turn to ash as a result of shoddy procedures and dubious sourcing.
For anyone with sympathy for the restaurant rather than the victims, have you considered: * The burden on NHS local services when an outbreak like this happens? * The economic impact in terms of productivity loss? Even ignoring the emotional distress, from a cold financial basis it is idiotic to let repeat offenders continue to drain our NHS budgets and put loads of people out of work. There would be plenty of other alternative service providers eager to snap up that location and pay a part of their profits into our tax system without having it turn to ash as a result of shoddy procedures and dubious sourcing. TheSalmonMousse
  • Score: 7

1:50pm Fri 1 Aug 14

jimbobbo says...

steekeemcglue wrote:
mamma2780 wrote:
Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down
outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....
The fact that they poisoned 29 people, and the fact that they've been in trouble for this very same issue before, makes your defensive comment completely null and void I'm afraid.
[quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mamma2780[/bold] wrote: Our poor daughter is on her 12th day of being ill because of this place. They deserve everything they get. 29 cases of Salmonella poisoning is unacceptable. Don't feel sorry for them. Obviously cutting costs and corners. Let's hope they do go bankrupt. They've bought it on themselves though negligence. You'd feel the same if you'd watched your poor kid go through 2 weeks of agony. No we don't need any more coffee shops - just clean places to eat that don't poison your loved ones. Wasn't exactly the best Chinese either. Can't believe the council have allowed them to re-open. Guess you've got to do worse to get shut down[/p][/quote]outbreaks like this can be the fault of an individual.... not the whole establishment.... It would be like someone in your family being arrested for theft and the community assuming your whole family are thieves. Even the tightest professional kitchen can succumb to food poisoning outbreaks. It only takes one person to forget to do a very basic thing and then you have problems. Also usually cross contamination occurs in very clean restaurants usually, because dirty ones fall foul of more common bugs much sooner.....[/p][/quote]The fact that they poisoned 29 people, and the fact that they've been in trouble for this very same issue before, makes your defensive comment completely null and void I'm afraid. jimbobbo
  • Score: 1

1:55pm Fri 1 Aug 14

RomseyKeith says...

I went there for my stag night and have been very poorly ever since (nearly 2 weeks now). The wedding was yesterday. They managed to ruin my big day. through my ill health (I only just managed to get through the day).
It is unacceptable. When they refilled one of the buffet trays, they poured the new stuff on top of the old. At that point I became concerned and stopped eating. Those are completely unacceptable practices on such as hot day as it was.
I went there for my stag night and have been very poorly ever since (nearly 2 weeks now). The wedding was yesterday. They managed to ruin my big day. through my ill health (I only just managed to get through the day). It is unacceptable. When they refilled one of the buffet trays, they poured the new stuff on top of the old. At that point I became concerned and stopped eating. Those are completely unacceptable practices on such as hot day as it was. RomseyKeith
  • Score: 1

2:53pm Fri 1 Aug 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

RomseyKeith wrote:
I went there for my stag night and have been very poorly ever since (nearly 2 weeks now). The wedding was yesterday. They managed to ruin my big day. through my ill health (I only just managed to get through the day).
It is unacceptable. When they refilled one of the buffet trays, they poured the new stuff on top of the old. At that point I became concerned and stopped eating. Those are completely unacceptable practices on such as hot day as it was.
Yes, indeed I can see why you brought that up.
[quote][p][bold]RomseyKeith[/bold] wrote: I went there for my stag night and have been very poorly ever since (nearly 2 weeks now). The wedding was yesterday. They managed to ruin my big day. through my ill health (I only just managed to get through the day). It is unacceptable. When they refilled one of the buffet trays, they poured the new stuff on top of the old. At that point I became concerned and stopped eating. Those are completely unacceptable practices on such as hot day as it was.[/p][/quote]Yes, indeed I can see why you brought that up. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: -4

3:57pm Fri 1 Aug 14

sarfhamton says...

I always wondered how it was so cheap in there and now we know
I always wondered how it was so cheap in there and now we know sarfhamton
  • Score: 3

7:09pm Fri 1 Aug 14

mike coll says...

We dont have china eateries over here, its swiss pizza or nothing, BUT we do miss good english indian or chinese food, and of course fish and chips, BUT I will give this place a miss, even an evening meal for free would not tempt me the next time I pop back.
We dont have china eateries over here, its swiss pizza or nothing, BUT we do miss good english indian or chinese food, and of course fish and chips, BUT I will give this place a miss, even an evening meal for free would not tempt me the next time I pop back. mike coll
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree