Nicola Cortese paid £1.96m by Southampton FC during first Premier League season

Nicola Cortese

Nicola Cortese

First published in Sport
Last updated

Nicola Cortese was paid more than £1.96m for his last full season in charge of Saints.

The former executive chairman banked £1,965,511 for Saints’ first campaign back in the Premier League after promotion to the Championship. fromhat equates to almost £37,800 a week or £5,400 a day for the year that ran until 30 June, 2013.

The figures are revealed today in the full accounts for DMWSL 613 Ltd – Saints’ parent company - filed with Companies House. They list the highest paid director’s salary, and the accounts confirm that Cortese was the only director during the period in question.

Top flight football came with its rewards with Cortese receiving a pay rise of just over £500,000 on his package from the previous year.

The accounts also list a payment of £163,092 in contributions to money purchase pension schemes.

Cortese formally resigned from the board on January 15 this year.

The accounts also run through much of the headline information already reported in the Daily Echo.

Saints lost £7.7m in the reporting period with new director Hans Hofstetter saying the board had inherited a “difficult” financial situation.

On the plus side, promotion to the Premier League saw Saints’ turnover soar by 213 per cent in the blink of an eye, with broadcast income going up by over £40m.

However, the main concern appears to be the training ground project now running to £30m, while £27m remains outstanding in transfer fees to be paid out, with £22m committed in 2014/15.

Comments (45)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:21pm Wed 9 Apr 14

worried of n e hampshire says...

Yikes!!!
Yikes!!! worried of n e hampshire
  • Score: 8

1:37pm Wed 9 Apr 14

St Forlife says...

Similar to many of the players I guess
Similar to many of the players I guess St Forlife
  • Score: 15

1:49pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Golden_Salamander says...

He wasn't everyone cup of tea however people have to remember he took this Club by the "scruff of the neck" while it was being "destroyed by a lot of infighting" and put us back where we belong in the upper reaches of the PL a year ahead of even his plans.
Thank you Nicola.
He wasn't everyone cup of tea however people have to remember he took this Club by the "scruff of the neck" while it was being "destroyed by a lot of infighting" and put us back where we belong in the upper reaches of the PL a year ahead of even his plans. Thank you Nicola. Golden_Salamander
  • Score: 51

1:56pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

If you want the top guys you have to cough up. Like the old cliché says "you pay peanuts you get monkeys" (as is evidenced by the Skunts.)
If you want the top guys you have to cough up. Like the old cliché says "you pay peanuts you get monkeys" (as is evidenced by the Skunts.) Jan28th1984
  • Score: 23

1:56pm Wed 9 Apr 14

willygetaway says...

He was worth every penny IMO, and as much as i am coming to terms with the new set up, i still worry if they have the same ambition as the Don.
Still onwards and upwards COYR
He was worth every penny IMO, and as much as i am coming to terms with the new set up, i still worry if they have the same ambition as the Don. Still onwards and upwards COYR willygetaway
  • Score: 29

2:14pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Confucious says...

A few people are, but on £2m a year Nicola simply wasn't rich enough to escape advice.
A few people are, but on £2m a year Nicola simply wasn't rich enough to escape advice. Confucious
  • Score: 7

2:21pm Wed 9 Apr 14

angus mc coatup says...

willygetaway wrote:
He was worth every penny IMO, and as much as i am coming to terms with the new set up, i still worry if they have the same ambition as the Don.
Still onwards and upwards COYR
I think he was worth every penny as well, he was the major driving force behind the whole Saints revival. I believe that the new board will still have the same ambition, I really don't think the aims have changed that much, but the speed at which this club has moved at will slow dramatically. Getting from the minus 10 points situation back to the prem was unbelievably quick, now getting into the top six, season on season, will take time, a lot of money, and some good team management in tactics and future transfer dealings.
[quote][p][bold]willygetaway[/bold] wrote: He was worth every penny IMO, and as much as i am coming to terms with the new set up, i still worry if they have the same ambition as the Don. Still onwards and upwards COYR[/p][/quote]I think he was worth every penny as well, he was the major driving force behind the whole Saints revival. I believe that the new board will still have the same ambition, I really don't think the aims have changed that much, but the speed at which this club has moved at will slow dramatically. Getting from the minus 10 points situation back to the prem was unbelievably quick, now getting into the top six, season on season, will take time, a lot of money, and some good team management in tactics and future transfer dealings. angus mc coatup
  • Score: 9

2:23pm Wed 9 Apr 14

alan.of.eastleigh says...

The key word is 'earned'. Part of a team admittedly but a srong leader when we needed him. He has earned every penny.
The key word is 'earned'. Part of a team admittedly but a srong leader when we needed him. He has earned every penny. alan.of.eastleigh
  • Score: 18

3:00pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Beer Monster says...

Cortese saw the potential in SFC and sold his vision to Markus Liebherr, who dived in 100% and became a legend to us all. NC delivered on his five year plan ahead of schedule, securing the allegiance of some excellent staff and players along the way.

We have become the blueprint of how to run an English football club thanks to the man, so I don't see how anyone can really argue with his reward.
Cortese saw the potential in SFC and sold his vision to Markus Liebherr, who dived in 100% and became a legend to us all. NC delivered on his five year plan ahead of schedule, securing the allegiance of some excellent staff and players along the way. We have become the blueprint of how to run an English football club thanks to the man, so I don't see how anyone can really argue with his reward. Beer Monster
  • Score: 16

3:02pm Wed 9 Apr 14

RED & WHITE..RED & WHITE says...

Thanks Cortese for all your hard work and you will be for ever a Saint !!!
Thanks Cortese for all your hard work and you will be for ever a Saint !!! RED & WHITE..RED & WHITE
  • Score: 18

3:24pm Wed 9 Apr 14

There's only one 'H' in 'Ampshire says...

Money well spent
Thank you Nicola
Money well spent Thank you Nicola There's only one 'H' in 'Ampshire
  • Score: 17

3:24pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Zootopian says...

I think this makes it clear why Katarina wanted Cortese out.

Compare what he earned to other Premier League chairmen, it's clear he was paying himself over the odds.

I wonder what his expenses were like?
I think this makes it clear why Katarina wanted Cortese out. Compare what he earned to other Premier League chairmen, it's clear he was paying himself over the odds. I wonder what his expenses were like? Zootopian
  • Score: 0

3:57pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Saint Gary says...

I agree with people that he helped gets us to where we are now but we have to remember it was also it was Markus Liebherr's money and also his vision that NC was following. I believe as well as he has done, if he stayed longer and we did not achieve european football we could be in a finacial mess similare to before
I agree with people that he helped gets us to where we are now but we have to remember it was also it was Markus Liebherr's money and also his vision that NC was following. I believe as well as he has done, if he stayed longer and we did not achieve european football we could be in a finacial mess similare to before Saint Gary
  • Score: 2

4:11pm Wed 9 Apr 14

allsaintsnocurves says...

Well earned I would say! Nicola has turned Saints into a great business outfit and the players respected him because he convinced them to be at Saints with his ambition. I am sure that the ambition of the club is still there but with maybe more realistic shorter term goals than under Cortese.

I felt that Cortese would have carried on pumping money into the 1st team to secure a top 4 finish and Everton have shown that it is possible without blowing millions. Saints worst players this season have been our 2 most expensive signings.
Well earned I would say! Nicola has turned Saints into a great business outfit and the players respected him because he convinced them to be at Saints with his ambition. I am sure that the ambition of the club is still there but with maybe more realistic shorter term goals than under Cortese. I felt that Cortese would have carried on pumping money into the 1st team to secure a top 4 finish and Everton have shown that it is possible without blowing millions. Saints worst players this season have been our 2 most expensive signings. allsaintsnocurves
  • Score: 12

4:19pm Wed 9 Apr 14

worried of n e hampshire says...

Everton have done it with loan players
Everton have done it with loan players worried of n e hampshire
  • Score: 9

4:30pm Wed 9 Apr 14

jrod11 says...

What a waste of money... He was having a laugh.
What a waste of money... He was having a laugh. jrod11
  • Score: -8

5:18pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Norwegian Saint says...

Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs
)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did! Norwegian Saint
  • Score: 7

5:25pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Clever Dick says...

Anybody who can turn the original Marcus Liebherr investment into a £200 million pound plus organisation is worth every penny and more. Obviously it was the Liebherr's money but it was his vision and his vision alone. Without him this remarkable turnaround quite simply would not have happened.
Anybody who can turn the original Marcus Liebherr investment into a £200 million pound plus organisation is worth every penny and more. Obviously it was the Liebherr's money but it was his vision and his vision alone. Without him this remarkable turnaround quite simply would not have happened. Clever Dick
  • Score: 9

5:25pm Wed 9 Apr 14

costa gaz says...

Saints lost £7.7m in the reporting period with new director Hans Hofstetter saying the board had inherited a “difficult” financial situation........



Cortese's ambition would have eventually seen us into even greater unsustainable debt.
The club will now be run within its means and that has got to be a good thing, too many clubs have gambled on trying to compete with the big boys and all come unstuck.
If Cortese had won his battle with the Leibherrs, we could have faced a financial meltdown within a couple of years.
Saints lost £7.7m in the reporting period with new director Hans Hofstetter saying the board had inherited a “difficult” financial situation........ Cortese's ambition would have eventually seen us into even greater unsustainable debt. The club will now be run within its means and that has got to be a good thing, too many clubs have gambled on trying to compete with the big boys and all come unstuck. If Cortese had won his battle with the Leibherrs, we could have faced a financial meltdown within a couple of years. costa gaz
  • Score: 7

5:26pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Clever Dick says...

Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs

)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
NS. Ignore the cyber coward.
[quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]NS. Ignore the cyber coward. Clever Dick
  • Score: 7

5:27pm Wed 9 Apr 14

saintbobby says...

You know that is under £40,000 per week - OK to us it is eye- watering money, but remember within the industry it is not such big bucks.

It was reported that Wayne Rooney is staying at OT for potentially £300,000 per week and that is nearly 8 times what NC was paid.

It sounds ridiculous money but that is how it is. Not just in the UK but everywhere in the football world. I should have tried harder!
You know that is under £40,000 per week - OK to us it is eye- watering money, but remember within the industry it is not such big bucks. It was reported that Wayne Rooney is staying at OT for potentially £300,000 per week and that is nearly 8 times what NC was paid. It sounds ridiculous money but that is how it is. Not just in the UK but everywhere in the football world. I should have tried harder! saintbobby
  • Score: 2

5:27pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Costa Baz says...

Kat Liebherr will make considerably more out of running or selling the club, than if he hadn't done such a good job, so don't see any problem with this.
Kat Liebherr will make considerably more out of running or selling the club, than if he hadn't done such a good job, so don't see any problem with this. Costa Baz
  • Score: 10

6:24pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Baddesley Bill says...

I'm guessing NC's income was based on achievement bonuses. They were well earned imo.

If any fan disagrees, they should ask themselves how much they would pay a Chairman to take us to the Champions League. £2mill would be small change if you consider the greater good of the Club.
I'm guessing NC's income was based on achievement bonuses. They were well earned imo. If any fan disagrees, they should ask themselves how much they would pay a Chairman to take us to the Champions League. £2mill would be small change if you consider the greater good of the Club. Baddesley Bill
  • Score: 4

7:49pm Wed 9 Apr 14

TPFKARTSNINZ says...

Money well earnt.

He was the instigator behind our meteoric rise from penniless & 24th in League 1 to secure & 8th in the Premier League in 3 years.

What does the future hold? I look forward to our new board's 5 year plan.

COYR!
Money well earnt. He was the instigator behind our meteoric rise from penniless & 24th in League 1 to secure & 8th in the Premier League in 3 years. What does the future hold? I look forward to our new board's 5 year plan. COYR! TPFKARTSNINZ
  • Score: 1

7:59pm Wed 9 Apr 14

peregrine73 says...

allsaintsnocurves wrote:
Well earned I would say! Nicola has turned Saints into a great business outfit and the players respected him because he convinced them to be at Saints with his ambition. I am sure that the ambition of the club is still there but with maybe more realistic shorter term goals than under Cortese.

I felt that Cortese would have carried on pumping money into the 1st team to secure a top 4 finish and Everton have shown that it is possible without blowing millions. Saints worst players this season have been our 2 most expensive signings.
We must also remember that MP was responsible for our most expensive failure : Osvaldo !
[quote][p][bold]allsaintsnocurves[/bold] wrote: Well earned I would say! Nicola has turned Saints into a great business outfit and the players respected him because he convinced them to be at Saints with his ambition. I am sure that the ambition of the club is still there but with maybe more realistic shorter term goals than under Cortese. I felt that Cortese would have carried on pumping money into the 1st team to secure a top 4 finish and Everton have shown that it is possible without blowing millions. Saints worst players this season have been our 2 most expensive signings.[/p][/quote]We must also remember that MP was responsible for our most expensive failure : Osvaldo ! peregrine73
  • Score: -1

8:03pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Zootopian wrote:
I think this makes it clear why Katarina wanted Cortese out.

Compare what he earned to other Premier League chairmen, it's clear he was paying himself over the odds.

I wonder what his expenses were like?
Markus put Cortese on a performance package and he fully achieved the goals increasing the investors asset by tens of millions, quite cheap really. Comparing him to owner chairmen is pointless as they have independent wealth and besides would be paying themselves with their own money which wouldn't really be very tax efficient would it?
[quote][p][bold]Zootopian[/bold] wrote: I think this makes it clear why Katarina wanted Cortese out. Compare what he earned to other Premier League chairmen, it's clear he was paying himself over the odds. I wonder what his expenses were like?[/p][/quote]Markus put Cortese on a performance package and he fully achieved the goals increasing the investors asset by tens of millions, quite cheap really. Comparing him to owner chairmen is pointless as they have independent wealth and besides would be paying themselves with their own money which wouldn't really be very tax efficient would it? Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 2

8:26pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Stroppy_gramps says...

worth every penny for what he did for our club.

nothing more to say.
worth every penny for what he did for our club. nothing more to say. Stroppy_gramps
  • Score: 1

8:32pm Wed 9 Apr 14

up saints says...

without markus and cortese we would not be 9th in the premiership so thankyou.
without markus and cortese we would not be 9th in the premiership so thankyou. up saints
  • Score: 2

8:36pm Wed 9 Apr 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

peregrine73 wrote:
allsaintsnocurves wrote:
Well earned I would say! Nicola has turned Saints into a great business outfit and the players respected him because he convinced them to be at Saints with his ambition. I am sure that the ambition of the club is still there but with maybe more realistic shorter term goals than under Cortese.

I felt that Cortese would have carried on pumping money into the 1st team to secure a top 4 finish and Everton have shown that it is possible without blowing millions. Saints worst players this season have been our 2 most expensive signings.
We must also remember that MP was responsible for our most expensive failure : Osvaldo !
Prove it...........
[quote][p][bold]peregrine73[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]allsaintsnocurves[/bold] wrote: Well earned I would say! Nicola has turned Saints into a great business outfit and the players respected him because he convinced them to be at Saints with his ambition. I am sure that the ambition of the club is still there but with maybe more realistic shorter term goals than under Cortese. I felt that Cortese would have carried on pumping money into the 1st team to secure a top 4 finish and Everton have shown that it is possible without blowing millions. Saints worst players this season have been our 2 most expensive signings.[/p][/quote]We must also remember that MP was responsible for our most expensive failure : Osvaldo ![/p][/quote]Prove it........... OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Wed 9 Apr 14

elvisimo says...

jrod11 wrote:
What a waste of money... He was having a laugh.
So is your mum, right now....
[quote][p][bold]jrod11[/bold] wrote: What a waste of money... He was having a laugh.[/p][/quote]So is your mum, right now.... elvisimo
  • Score: -2

8:43pm Wed 9 Apr 14

angus mc coatup says...

up saints wrote:
without markus and cortese we would not be 9th in the premiership so thankyou.
....."8th".....
[quote][p][bold]up saints[/bold] wrote: without markus and cortese we would not be 9th in the premiership so thankyou.[/p][/quote]....."8th"..... angus mc coatup
  • Score: 2

8:49pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs

)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
[quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits. Jan28th1984
  • Score: 1

9:22pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Norwegian Saint says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs


)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton? Norwegian Saint
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs



)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows.

Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.
[quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton?[/p][/quote]Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all. Jan28th1984
  • Score: 2

9:56pm Wed 9 Apr 14

mack chinnon says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs




)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows.

Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.
They could make the play-offs though.
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton?[/p][/quote]Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.[/p][/quote]They could make the play-offs though. mack chinnon
  • Score: 1

9:58pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Clever Dick says...

Silly name though! When are we going to get the Bmuff fans on here telling us how they are going to be the big south coast club next season. They've been working on a new premier league song:-
"4 stands, now we've got 4 stands, we've really got four stands"
Silly name though! When are we going to get the Bmuff fans on here telling us how they are going to be the big south coast club next season. They've been working on a new premier league song:- "4 stands, now we've got 4 stands, we've really got four stands" Clever Dick
  • Score: 0

10:05pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

mack chinnon wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs





)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows.

Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.
They could make the play-offs though.
so what?
[quote][p][bold]mack chinnon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton?[/p][/quote]Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.[/p][/quote]They could make the play-offs though.[/p][/quote]so what? Jan28th1984
  • Score: 2

6:32am Thu 10 Apr 14

Norwegian Saint says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.
I didn't mention anything about "homosexual". Is the word "fruit" now associated with the gay community? In that case I best stop saying "my old fruit" to colleagues or "fruit of my loins" to the kids and use your "jolly fine fellows" quote instead.
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton?[/p][/quote]Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.[/p][/quote]I didn't mention anything about "homosexual". Is the word "fruit" now associated with the gay community? In that case I best stop saying "my old fruit" to colleagues or "fruit of my loins" to the kids and use your "jolly fine fellows" quote instead. Norwegian Saint
  • Score: -3

9:32am Thu 10 Apr 14

wheresthemoneygone says...

If you all think Lieber could not have found anybody to do the same as Cortese without ripping the club off you all need to grow up.
If you all think Lieber could not have found anybody to do the same as Cortese without ripping the club off you all need to grow up. wheresthemoneygone
  • Score: -1

9:44am Thu 10 Apr 14

Clever Dick says...

wheresthemoneygone wrote:
If you all think Lieber could not have found anybody to do the same as Cortese without ripping the club off you all need to grow up.
He would probably be unaware of the existence of our cub if it were not for the influence of NC. Thanks Nicola, we are where we are today because of you.
[quote][p][bold]wheresthemoneygone[/bold] wrote: If you all think Lieber could not have found anybody to do the same as Cortese without ripping the club off you all need to grow up.[/p][/quote]He would probably be unaware of the existence of our cub if it were not for the influence of NC. Thanks Nicola, we are where we are today because of you. Clever Dick
  • Score: 2

10:24am Thu 10 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.
I didn't mention anything about "homosexual". Is the word "fruit" now associated with the gay community? In that case I best stop saying "my old fruit" to colleagues or "fruit of my loins" to the kids and use your "jolly fine fellows" quote instead.
You involved Brighton in this discssion, not me.
[quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton?[/p][/quote]Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.[/p][/quote]I didn't mention anything about "homosexual". Is the word "fruit" now associated with the gay community? In that case I best stop saying "my old fruit" to colleagues or "fruit of my loins" to the kids and use your "jolly fine fellows" quote instead.[/p][/quote]You involved Brighton in this discssion, not me. Jan28th1984
  • Score: 0

10:53am Thu 10 Apr 14

Beer Monster says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
mack chinnon wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote:
Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs






)???
As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did!
No - he supports the Fruits.
Cherries or Brighton?
Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows.

Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.
They could make the play-offs though.
so what?
Personally, I would love it (in true kevin Keegan style) if Reading, Brighton and Bournemouth all made the playoffs at QPRs expense. Out of the three I'd actually prefer the Fruits to go up - it'd be another one in the eye for twitcher and his overpaid prima donnas, and I have a soft spot for the Fruits after my time at JPMorgan next door.
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mack chinnon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Jrod11.... sure your not Big(fat)Fella777(kgs )??? As you do come out with the same sort of bullsh*t he did![/p][/quote]No - he supports the Fruits.[/p][/quote]Cherries or Brighton?[/p][/quote]Not Brighton - it would be discriminatory, illegal, and, quite frankly, offensive to imply that Brighton supporters are anything other than jolly fine fellows. Cherries, however, are small edible fruits, and it is AFC Fruit's decision to adopt these things as their nickname. It therefore makes perfect sense to describe their supporters as such, and there is nothing homosexual about it at all.[/p][/quote]They could make the play-offs though.[/p][/quote]so what?[/p][/quote]Personally, I would love it (in true kevin Keegan style) if Reading, Brighton and Bournemouth all made the playoffs at QPRs expense. Out of the three I'd actually prefer the Fruits to go up - it'd be another one in the eye for twitcher and his overpaid prima donnas, and I have a soft spot for the Fruits after my time at JPMorgan next door. Beer Monster
  • Score: 0

11:14am Thu 10 Apr 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

wheresthemoneygone wrote:
If you all think Lieber could not have found anybody to do the same as Cortese without ripping the club off you all need to grow up.
I think that you have some growing to do also, I think that you are wrong in all respects. Try spelling Liebherr correctly for a start and at least respect him for chosing Nicola Cortese, who as far as I can see did not "rip" the Club off. If you have proof that he did, let us hear it. As far as I can see NC did virtually everything that was on the box at the start of the crusade. What he didn't do is win hearts and minds, that doesn't appear to have been in his nature, it was business not a popularity contest.
[quote][p][bold]wheresthemoneygone[/bold] wrote: If you all think Lieber could not have found anybody to do the same as Cortese without ripping the club off you all need to grow up.[/p][/quote]I think that you have some growing to do also, I think that you are wrong in all respects. Try spelling Liebherr correctly for a start and at least respect him for chosing Nicola Cortese, who as far as I can see did not "rip" the Club off. If you have proof that he did, let us hear it. As far as I can see NC did virtually everything that was on the box at the start of the crusade. What he didn't do is win hearts and minds, that doesn't appear to have been in his nature, it was business not a popularity contest. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: -2

4:33pm Thu 10 Apr 14

F Fan says...

costa gaz wrote:
Saints lost £7.7m in the reporting period with new director Hans Hofstetter saying the board had inherited a “difficult” financial situation........



Cortese's ambition would have eventually seen us into even greater unsustainable debt.
The club will now be run within its means and that has got to be a good thing, too many clubs have gambled on trying to compete with the big boys and all come unstuck.
If Cortese had won his battle with the Leibherrs, we could have faced a financial meltdown within a couple of years.
Don't think the 12/13 accounts indicate that at all. Profits up before player transfers to £8.7m; overall loss nearly halved (to £6.6 million before interest and tax). Most importantly in terms of future financial health, wages to turnover ratio plummeted to 65% from 102% last year; improving net current asset position - net liabilities down to £1.6m from £32.4m in 2012.

And 2013/14 will have brought significant increase in income while costs are unlikely to have increased as much.

All the financial fundamentals were pretty sound when Cortese left and long may they remain so even if that does mean no splurge on transfers this summer. One can only speculate on why some persist in repeating that one quote from Hofstetter and ignoring all the positive ones emanating from the board.
[quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: Saints lost £7.7m in the reporting period with new director Hans Hofstetter saying the board had inherited a “difficult” financial situation........ Cortese's ambition would have eventually seen us into even greater unsustainable debt. The club will now be run within its means and that has got to be a good thing, too many clubs have gambled on trying to compete with the big boys and all come unstuck. If Cortese had won his battle with the Leibherrs, we could have faced a financial meltdown within a couple of years.[/p][/quote]Don't think the 12/13 accounts indicate that at all. Profits up before player transfers to £8.7m; overall loss nearly halved (to £6.6 million before interest and tax). Most importantly in terms of future financial health, wages to turnover ratio plummeted to 65% from 102% last year; improving net current asset position - net liabilities down to £1.6m from £32.4m in 2012. And 2013/14 will have brought significant increase in income while costs are unlikely to have increased as much. All the financial fundamentals were pretty sound when Cortese left and long may they remain so even if that does mean no splurge on transfers this summer. One can only speculate on why some persist in repeating that one quote from Hofstetter and ignoring all the positive ones emanating from the board. F Fan
  • Score: 0

7:06pm Thu 10 Apr 14

el caballo santos101 says...

Well ive been away in a Kent backwater this week where broadband seems to be a new fangled thing and WiFi the work of the devil, so I've just seen this news and to be fair I think paying anyone that sort of money is obscene. However in the world of football it is a relatively small amount and a fee worth paying as premier league survival was assured. He made important decisions like letting Adkins go and the appointment of MP, and they were the right decisions for which he took a lot of stick for at the time from fans and media. He has earned his money so I have no problem with his salary. Thanks NC!
Well ive been away in a Kent backwater this week where broadband seems to be a new fangled thing and WiFi the work of the devil, so I've just seen this news and to be fair I think paying anyone that sort of money is obscene. However in the world of football it is a relatively small amount and a fee worth paying as premier league survival was assured. He made important decisions like letting Adkins go and the appointment of MP, and they were the right decisions for which he took a lot of stick for at the time from fans and media. He has earned his money so I have no problem with his salary. Thanks NC! el caballo santos101
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree