Residents share views on £3bn Southampton masterplan

Daily Echo: What the Royal Pier in Southampton could look like What the Royal Pier in Southampton could look like

RESIDENTS got the chance to have their say on a visionary masterplan aimed at bringing in more than 24,000 jobs and £3 billion of investment into Southampton.

A new world class waterfront, a remastered city centre and a transformed railway station are just some of the developments residents cast their eyes over as Southampton City Council tried to gauge reaction to its plans for the city over the next 25 years.

Many of those taking an interest at the public display of the plans for Southampton’s future, at City College, were optimistic about what can be achieved and welcomed the regeneration of the area, but some had their doubts over whether any of it would become a reality.

Consultants have been paid £230,000 to draw up a masterplan for the city, bringing together an array of multi-million-pound developments to rejuvenate the city centre and make it an inspiring place to work, visit and live.

At the top of many residents’ agenda was to focus on making the St Mary’s area feel part of the city centre again, as over the past few years they feel it has become isolated from the West Quay side of town.

Other eye-catching improvements include a revitalised railway station quarter, a new business district to attract major national and international companies, a new world class waterfront at Royal Pier and a far-reaching regeneration plan for areas of the city centre such as a fruit and vegetable market between Oxford Street and the Old Town.

Helen Pearce, part of the special planning team at Southampton City Council, said: “This is the second stage of the plan and we really want to hear as many people’s views as possible.

“We are looking to the future and although times are hard now, that will change and we need to have this framework in place so investors can see that the city council knows what it wants to do.”

Stella Meesters, from Planning Aid, which is spearheading the project with the council, said: “This is an exciting process and it is crucial that residents have they say and share their views on the future of their city.”

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:57am Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.
Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale. southy
  • Score: 0

10:00am Sat 25 Feb 12

10 Minute Man says...

Ditto the other parks, don't give them away to leisure companies who will charge us for using our own green spaces. They don't belong to the council, they belong to the people.
Ditto the other parks, don't give them away to leisure companies who will charge us for using our own green spaces. They don't belong to the council, they belong to the people. 10 Minute Man
  • Score: 0

10:05am Sat 25 Feb 12

Andy Locks Heath says...

southy wrote:
Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.
Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.[/p][/quote]Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess Andy Locks Heath
  • Score: 0

10:50am Sat 25 Feb 12

phil maccavity says...

southy wrote:
Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.
Obviously you have been to the presentation and know all the proposed details.
Pray tell what the plans are for Mayflower Park which is protected by an Act of Parliament
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.[/p][/quote]Obviously you have been to the presentation and know all the proposed details. Pray tell what the plans are for Mayflower Park which is protected by an Act of Parliament phil maccavity
  • Score: 0

10:56am Sat 25 Feb 12

loosehead says...

Andy Locks Heath wrote:
southy wrote:
Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.
Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess
They're not selling Mayflower park & Southy knows this!
They're expanding it or in other words enlarging it so ensuring the boat show stays in this city & Southy/anti capitalist knows this & as with his pro Liverpool posts would rather see us lose this show.
I also remember seeing on the gate that the Pier belongs to the docks & they had to come up with a scheme the docks would be happy with.
No one's selling a park if any parks so where did you all get that idea from? Southy?
these plans could be great for this city if they all go ahead even Williams ( Labour) thinks this would be great so come on you lot start wishing for it not knocking it.
We will never get the heavy industry Southy craves for so let's try to attract work in any guise to this city Well done the council!
[quote][p][bold]Andy Locks Heath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.[/p][/quote]Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess[/p][/quote]They're not selling Mayflower park & Southy knows this! They're expanding it or in other words enlarging it so ensuring the boat show stays in this city & Southy/anti capitalist knows this & as with his pro Liverpool posts would rather see us lose this show. I also remember seeing on the gate that the Pier belongs to the docks & they had to come up with a scheme the docks would be happy with. No one's selling a park if any parks so where did you all get that idea from? Southy? these plans could be great for this city if they all go ahead even Williams ( Labour) thinks this would be great so come on you lot start wishing for it not knocking it. We will never get the heavy industry Southy craves for so let's try to attract work in any guise to this city Well done the council! loosehead
  • Score: 0

12:02pm Sat 25 Feb 12

George4th says...

These plans are FANTASTIC!
>
The people of the City of Southampton should grab this opportunity with energy and enthusiasm. It is a magnificent leap into the future and will benefit everyone who lives here.
These plans are FANTASTIC! > The people of the City of Southampton should grab this opportunity with energy and enthusiasm. It is a magnificent leap into the future and will benefit everyone who lives here. George4th
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Sat 25 Feb 12

bazzeroz says...

Yep! What the pier 'could look like', but, won't!
Yep! What the pier 'could look like', but, won't! bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Sat 25 Feb 12

Vonnie says...

How many more outside consultants are going to be paid a fortune to put forward plans for Southampton that never come to fruition? Isn't that part of what a Council Planning Department should be doing?
How many more outside consultants are going to be paid a fortune to put forward plans for Southampton that never come to fruition? Isn't that part of what a Council Planning Department should be doing? Vonnie
  • Score: 0

5:42pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

loosehead wrote:
Andy Locks Heath wrote:
southy wrote:
Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.
Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess
They're not selling Mayflower park & Southy knows this!
They're expanding it or in other words enlarging it so ensuring the boat show stays in this city & Southy/anti capitalist knows this & as with his pro Liverpool posts would rather see us lose this show.
I also remember seeing on the gate that the Pier belongs to the docks & they had to come up with a scheme the docks would be happy with.
No one's selling a park if any parks so where did you all get that idea from? Southy?
these plans could be great for this city if they all go ahead even Williams ( Labour) thinks this would be great so come on you lot start wishing for it not knocking it.
We will never get the heavy industry Southy craves for so let's try to attract work in any guise to this city Well done the council!
They selling well not selling but giving the the water edge to the park away to private investors.
I all ready been talking to the London office off crown property.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy Locks Heath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.[/p][/quote]Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess[/p][/quote]They're not selling Mayflower park & Southy knows this! They're expanding it or in other words enlarging it so ensuring the boat show stays in this city & Southy/anti capitalist knows this & as with his pro Liverpool posts would rather see us lose this show. I also remember seeing on the gate that the Pier belongs to the docks & they had to come up with a scheme the docks would be happy with. No one's selling a park if any parks so where did you all get that idea from? Southy? these plans could be great for this city if they all go ahead even Williams ( Labour) thinks this would be great so come on you lot start wishing for it not knocking it. We will never get the heavy industry Southy craves for so let's try to attract work in any guise to this city Well done the council![/p][/quote]They selling well not selling but giving the the water edge to the park away to private investors. I all ready been talking to the London office off crown property. southy
  • Score: 0

5:45pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

Andy Locks Heath wrote:
southy wrote:
Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.
Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess
the only real mess down there is owned bu ABPj The Royal Pier, Mayflower Park is the last place on the river Test on Southampton side where there is Marine Sea Bed Life.
[quote][p][bold]Andy Locks Heath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Leave Mayflower alone, The Council is only the caretakers of this park, its not for sale.[/p][/quote]Good point Southy. We could do a lot more to the waterfront though to celebrate Southampton's maritime history. When compared with Liverpool it is frankly an embarrassment. Ocean Village was an ill conceived venture to make millions at the expense of the city's reputation. Now it has failed it is time to do something better. We don't just want to leave the waterfront between the eastern and Western docks in its current mess[/p][/quote]the only real mess down there is owned bu ABPj The Royal Pier, Mayflower Park is the last place on the river Test on Southampton side where there is Marine Sea Bed Life. southy
  • Score: 0

7:19pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

If they are allowed to do this to Mayflower park, people will not be allowed to fish, go swimming, or local river users will not be allowed to land there boats there
If they are allowed to do this to Mayflower park, people will not be allowed to fish, go swimming, or local river users will not be allowed to land there boats there southy
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Sat 25 Feb 12

phil maccavity says...

southy wrote:
If they are allowed to do this to Mayflower park, people will not be allowed to fish, go swimming, or local river users will not be allowed to land there boats there
You say that ...'they are selling well not selling but giving the waters edge away to private investors'....
I think you are talking to the wrong people, it is the Crown Estates (not Crown property)who own the foreshore and they have been actively involved in the waterfront discussions!!!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: If they are allowed to do this to Mayflower park, people will not be allowed to fish, go swimming, or local river users will not be allowed to land there boats there[/p][/quote]You say that ...'they are selling well not selling but giving the waters edge away to private investors'.... I think you are talking to the wrong people, it is the Crown Estates (not Crown property)who own the foreshore and they have been actively involved in the waterfront discussions!!!!!!!! phil maccavity
  • Score: 0

8:10pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

phil maccavity wrote:
southy wrote:
If they are allowed to do this to Mayflower park, people will not be allowed to fish, go swimming, or local river users will not be allowed to land there boats there
You say that ...'they are selling well not selling but giving the waters edge away to private investors'....
I think you are talking to the wrong people, it is the Crown Estates (not Crown property)who own the foreshore and they have been actively involved in the waterfront discussions!!!!!!!!
Crown Estates is the Crown property they are one in the same, is broken up into 5 parts. its the marine dept part the ones I have been in contact with.
I gone over the local branch of the Crown Estates in which Mr Butterfield is in charge off, and gone direct to the marine branch.
[quote][p][bold]phil maccavity[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: If they are allowed to do this to Mayflower park, people will not be allowed to fish, go swimming, or local river users will not be allowed to land there boats there[/p][/quote]You say that ...'they are selling well not selling but giving the waters edge away to private investors'.... I think you are talking to the wrong people, it is the Crown Estates (not Crown property)who own the foreshore and they have been actively involved in the waterfront discussions!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Crown Estates is the Crown property they are one in the same, is broken up into 5 parts. its the marine dept part the ones I have been in contact with. I gone over the local branch of the Crown Estates in which Mr Butterfield is in charge off, and gone direct to the marine branch. southy
  • Score: 0

8:18pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

Phil the crown owns from the top off the highest tides down wards, every person in the UK as the right to enter crown land that is below the highest tide mark, you are allowed to beach comb, fish, collett, land your boat, swim and many other things, once they have reclaim that tidel ground you will lose all those rights.
What they do to the royal pier is one thing, and the Red Funnel landings again another thing.
Once they reclaim notices will go up saying no fishing no swimming and the marina for people to use there will be a charge.
People of Southampton have all ready lost one public open mooring space to the private developers for a private marina inbetween town quay and the docks, here to was tidal ground where people had the same rights that have now gone
Phil the crown owns from the top off the highest tides down wards, every person in the UK as the right to enter crown land that is below the highest tide mark, you are allowed to beach comb, fish, collett, land your boat, swim and many other things, once they have reclaim that tidel ground you will lose all those rights. What they do to the royal pier is one thing, and the Red Funnel landings again another thing. Once they reclaim notices will go up saying no fishing no swimming and the marina for people to use there will be a charge. People of Southampton have all ready lost one public open mooring space to the private developers for a private marina inbetween town quay and the docks, here to was tidal ground where people had the same rights that have now gone southy
  • Score: 0

9:18pm Sat 25 Feb 12

loosehead says...

Southy your a Diff. Have a look properly at the plans?
Mayflower park will be expanded/enlarged to the end of what is now a dilapidated Pier so all they're doing is moving the dock out into the river gaining more land.
The pier will be replaced by Land Red Funnels will be moved This area has been in need of modernisation & I don't know where it says anything about fishing in the article .
as for Town Quay when I've been down there I've seen posters with No Fishing but there's plenty of fishermen.
Here's an idea if you ( Southy ) don't want to move to Liverpool why not move to Hythe Marina as this is the same cr+p they used to stop Dibden Bay
Southy your a Diff. Have a look properly at the plans? Mayflower park will be expanded/enlarged to the end of what is now a dilapidated Pier so all they're doing is moving the dock out into the river gaining more land. The pier will be replaced by Land Red Funnels will be moved This area has been in need of modernisation & I don't know where it says anything about fishing in the article . as for Town Quay when I've been down there I've seen posters with No Fishing but there's plenty of fishermen. Here's an idea if you ( Southy ) don't want to move to Liverpool why not move to Hythe Marina as this is the same cr+p they used to stop Dibden Bay loosehead
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

Loosehead I have seen the plans for Mayflower park, the park is not being enlarge, they are going to build on the reclaim land, and having a walk way along the edge and a bit of a park behide it, but because they will own land down to the highest tide water mark, there will be no bait digging, there will be no picking up shell fish, all that tidal ground will be gone, and long the edge where the walk way will be there will be a private marina, so no landing of boats free like there is now, no swimming like there is now, and there will be a ban on fishing.
If you let the private developers have there way, you will end up with a totally dead river that will start to smell, all rivers needs an active live tidal ground to keep the river clean, we have lost to much as it is.
This Tidal ground infront of the Mayflower park is an feeding ground for Sea Trout on there way up river to spawn, also Graying feed in this area before heading up river, its a bass feeding ground and nursery, this small patch feeds a high nuber of fish of different kinds.
Loosehead I have seen the plans for Mayflower park, the park is not being enlarge, they are going to build on the reclaim land, and having a walk way along the edge and a bit of a park behide it, but because they will own land down to the highest tide water mark, there will be no bait digging, there will be no picking up shell fish, all that tidal ground will be gone, and long the edge where the walk way will be there will be a private marina, so no landing of boats free like there is now, no swimming like there is now, and there will be a ban on fishing. If you let the private developers have there way, you will end up with a totally dead river that will start to smell, all rivers needs an active live tidal ground to keep the river clean, we have lost to much as it is. This Tidal ground infront of the Mayflower park is an feeding ground for Sea Trout on there way up river to spawn, also Graying feed in this area before heading up river, its a bass feeding ground and nursery, this small patch feeds a high nuber of fish of different kinds. southy
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sat 25 Feb 12

southy says...

Loosehead I not say ing dont need modernising because it do, but Mayflower water front do not need modernising the rest do.
All they want is to turn Southampton into a rich man play ground who you will only see a few weeks in a year.
Its time our council stop catering for people out side of southampton and start thinking about the locals
Loosehead I not say ing dont need modernising because it do, but Mayflower water front do not need modernising the rest do. All they want is to turn Southampton into a rich man play ground who you will only see a few weeks in a year. Its time our council stop catering for people out side of southampton and start thinking about the locals southy
  • Score: 0

8:28am Sun 26 Feb 12

loosehead says...

Southy IT IS being ENLARGED!
the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to.
this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city.
You say about a rich mans playground?
When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money.
there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality
Southy IT IS being ENLARGED! the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to. this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city. You say about a rich mans playground? When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money. there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality loosehead
  • Score: 0

9:09am Sun 26 Feb 12

lightsouth says...

I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else.
I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else. lightsouth
  • Score: 0

9:09am Sun 26 Feb 12

lightsouth says...

I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else.
I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else. lightsouth
  • Score: 0

10:31am Sun 26 Feb 12

freefinker says...

loosehead wrote:
Southy IT IS being ENLARGED!
the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to.
this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city.
You say about a rich mans playground?
When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money.
there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality
.. loosehead, I don't really want to enter this debate but perhaps I can put southy's point better than he can.

What I think he is saying (but that is always a dangerous assumption) is that by expanding into Southampton Water by reclamation it will result in there being permanent water against the new 'seawall' - thus eliminating the current intertidal zone.

Although I find his post on this topic rather confusing to understand, it would appear he’s a big fan of intertidal zones as he seems to assert that ‘rights’ (probably dating back to Magna Carta if I know southy’s usual position) of the ordinary person are being eroded. And, to an extent I agree with him, there is very little left of the intertidal zone in Southampton and these zones are of great importance to wildlife.

But, when will Thatcher enter into the argument? That’s what I want to know.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Southy IT IS being ENLARGED! the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to. this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city. You say about a rich mans playground? When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money. there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality[/p][/quote].. loosehead, I don't really want to enter this debate but perhaps I can put southy's point better than he can. What I think he is saying (but that is always a dangerous assumption) is that by expanding into Southampton Water by reclamation it will result in there being permanent water against the new 'seawall' - thus eliminating the current intertidal zone. Although I find his post on this topic rather confusing to understand, it would appear he’s a big fan of intertidal zones as he seems to assert that ‘rights’ (probably dating back to Magna Carta if I know southy’s usual position) of the ordinary person are being eroded. And, to an extent I agree with him, there is very little left of the intertidal zone in Southampton and these zones are of great importance to wildlife. But, when will Thatcher enter into the argument? That’s what I want to know. freefinker
  • Score: 0

11:30am Sun 26 Feb 12

loosehead says...

freefinker wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Southy IT IS being ENLARGED!
the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to.
this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city.
You say about a rich mans playground?
When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money.
there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality
.. loosehead, I don't really want to enter this debate but perhaps I can put southy's point better than he can.

What I think he is saying (but that is always a dangerous assumption) is that by expanding into Southampton Water by reclamation it will result in there being permanent water against the new 'seawall' - thus eliminating the current intertidal zone.

Although I find his post on this topic rather confusing to understand, it would appear he’s a big fan of intertidal zones as he seems to assert that ‘rights’ (probably dating back to Magna Carta if I know southy’s usual position) of the ordinary person are being eroded. And, to an extent I agree with him, there is very little left of the intertidal zone in Southampton and these zones are of great importance to wildlife.

But, when will Thatcher enter into the argument? That’s what I want to know.
Freefinker do you not see that he's saying they're not expanding the park but building an extra bit for the rich?
I just feel his arguments are 30-40 years out of date.
if he had argued about Millbrook point & the American dump I would have agreed with him but I can't on this as I who never goes to the boat show see the importance of it for the hotel trade & jobs in the boat building industry.
if the only way to keep it & give more park to the city & the people who live down there then let it happen
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Southy IT IS being ENLARGED! the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to. this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city. You say about a rich mans playground? When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money. there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality[/p][/quote].. loosehead, I don't really want to enter this debate but perhaps I can put southy's point better than he can. What I think he is saying (but that is always a dangerous assumption) is that by expanding into Southampton Water by reclamation it will result in there being permanent water against the new 'seawall' - thus eliminating the current intertidal zone. Although I find his post on this topic rather confusing to understand, it would appear he’s a big fan of intertidal zones as he seems to assert that ‘rights’ (probably dating back to Magna Carta if I know southy’s usual position) of the ordinary person are being eroded. And, to an extent I agree with him, there is very little left of the intertidal zone in Southampton and these zones are of great importance to wildlife. But, when will Thatcher enter into the argument? That’s what I want to know.[/p][/quote]Freefinker do you not see that he's saying they're not expanding the park but building an extra bit for the rich? I just feel his arguments are 30-40 years out of date. if he had argued about Millbrook point & the American dump I would have agreed with him but I can't on this as I who never goes to the boat show see the importance of it for the hotel trade & jobs in the boat building industry. if the only way to keep it & give more park to the city & the people who live down there then let it happen loosehead
  • Score: 0

11:37am Sun 26 Feb 12

George4th says...

lightsouth wrote:
I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else.
You are correct. Our City badly needs tourist attractions and reasons for businesses/employers
/employees to move to the City of Southampton.
[quote][p][bold]lightsouth[/bold] wrote: I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else.[/p][/quote]You are correct. Our City badly needs tourist attractions and reasons for businesses/employers /employees to move to the City of Southampton. George4th
  • Score: 0

11:47am Sun 26 Feb 12

southy says...

lightsouth wrote:
I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else.
That will never change, because its a turn around port and not a visiting port.
[quote][p][bold]lightsouth[/bold] wrote: I hope it all happens, something has to. No-one from outside the city has any reason to come here apart from to jump on a cruise ship to go somewhere else.[/p][/quote]That will never change, because its a turn around port and not a visiting port. southy
  • Score: 0

11:55am Sun 26 Feb 12

southy says...

loosehead wrote:
freefinker wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Southy IT IS being ENLARGED!
the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to.
this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city.
You say about a rich mans playground?
When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money.
there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality
.. loosehead, I don't really want to enter this debate but perhaps I can put southy's point better than he can.

What I think he is saying (but that is always a dangerous assumption) is that by expanding into Southampton Water by reclamation it will result in there being permanent water against the new 'seawall' - thus eliminating the current intertidal zone.

Although I find his post on this topic rather confusing to understand, it would appear he’s a big fan of intertidal zones as he seems to assert that ‘rights’ (probably dating back to Magna Carta if I know southy’s usual position) of the ordinary person are being eroded. And, to an extent I agree with him, there is very little left of the intertidal zone in Southampton and these zones are of great importance to wildlife.

But, when will Thatcher enter into the argument? That’s what I want to know.
Freefinker do you not see that he's saying they're not expanding the park but building an extra bit for the rich?
I just feel his arguments are 30-40 years out of date.
if he had argued about Millbrook point & the American dump I would have agreed with him but I can't on this as I who never goes to the boat show see the importance of it for the hotel trade & jobs in the boat building industry.
if the only way to keep it & give more park to the city & the people who live down there then let it happen
The Boat show only brings a bit of economic money in as most of the money leaves the city.
Its the local that put the most into a local economy they are here all year round not people who come here visiting.
No the park must be left as it is, leave the tidal range alone, and allow the rights of the people to carry on.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Southy IT IS being ENLARGED! the water front is being moved & the land being reclaimed/added to. this will be to ensure the Boat show remains here bringing work to the hotels & revenue to the city. You say about a rich mans playground? When will people like you get it into your heads than money generates more money so having rich men here spending their money brings jobs which give people money. there's no point having this city populated with only DSS claimants we need wealth & we need jobs so stop this them & us attitude you have & wake up to reality[/p][/quote].. loosehead, I don't really want to enter this debate but perhaps I can put southy's point better than he can. What I think he is saying (but that is always a dangerous assumption) is that by expanding into Southampton Water by reclamation it will result in there being permanent water against the new 'seawall' - thus eliminating the current intertidal zone. Although I find his post on this topic rather confusing to understand, it would appear he’s a big fan of intertidal zones as he seems to assert that ‘rights’ (probably dating back to Magna Carta if I know southy’s usual position) of the ordinary person are being eroded. And, to an extent I agree with him, there is very little left of the intertidal zone in Southampton and these zones are of great importance to wildlife. But, when will Thatcher enter into the argument? That’s what I want to know.[/p][/quote]Freefinker do you not see that he's saying they're not expanding the park but building an extra bit for the rich? I just feel his arguments are 30-40 years out of date. if he had argued about Millbrook point & the American dump I would have agreed with him but I can't on this as I who never goes to the boat show see the importance of it for the hotel trade & jobs in the boat building industry. if the only way to keep it & give more park to the city & the people who live down there then let it happen[/p][/quote]The Boat show only brings a bit of economic money in as most of the money leaves the city. Its the local that put the most into a local economy they are here all year round not people who come here visiting. No the park must be left as it is, leave the tidal range alone, and allow the rights of the people to carry on. southy
  • Score: 0

12:12pm Sun 26 Feb 12

southy says...

Heres another point for you to think about, Coastal towns and citys that have a healthy tidal range get more vistors all year round, though bird watcher, rod and line fishermen and these types of people tend to spend more in the smaller shops keeping most of the money in side the city.
Heres another point for you to think about, Coastal towns and citys that have a healthy tidal range get more vistors all year round, though bird watcher, rod and line fishermen and these types of people tend to spend more in the smaller shops keeping most of the money in side the city. southy
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Sun 26 Feb 12

phil maccavity says...

Just a thought
Mayflower Park was created as a consequence of the filling in of Millbrook Bay in the 1920's and 1930's.
Doesn't seem to have been too many problems with the regime of either the Rivers Test or Itchen
In fact all of the port, Eastern Docks, Western Docks and Container Terminal (nearly 800 acres in total) is reclaimed land.
Before the Western Docks were built by the, then Southern Railway, most of the mudflats were owned by the wealthy Barker Mill family (and others)
Soton would have remained a relatively small town but for the development of the Western Docks
It is a fact that at every stage of port development Soton's population has seen a corresponding increase, indicating a positive affect on the areas economic prosperity.
Southy has a wonderful grasp of economics. (TUSC obviously dont do workshops on this)
Let us all try to make do on revenue from bird watching, rod & line fishermen and travelling fairground workers (from one of his earlier posts)!!
Just a thought Mayflower Park was created as a consequence of the filling in of Millbrook Bay in the 1920's and 1930's. Doesn't seem to have been too many problems with the regime of either the Rivers Test or Itchen In fact all of the port, Eastern Docks, Western Docks and Container Terminal (nearly 800 acres in total) is reclaimed land. Before the Western Docks were built by the, then Southern Railway, most of the mudflats were owned by the wealthy Barker Mill family (and others) Soton would have remained a relatively small town but for the development of the Western Docks It is a fact that at every stage of port development Soton's population has seen a corresponding increase, indicating a positive affect on the areas economic prosperity. Southy has a wonderful grasp of economics. (TUSC obviously dont do workshops on this) Let us all try to make do on revenue from bird watching, rod & line fishermen and travelling fairground workers (from one of his earlier posts)!! phil maccavity
  • Score: 0

9:45pm Sun 26 Feb 12

loosehead says...

Southy your arguments against don't stack up!
You say "The Boat show only brings a bit of economic money in as most of the money leaves the city."
You also say "That will never change, because its a turn around port and not a visiting port.'
Yet your for Liverpool getting turnaround status to bring jobs to their city they're for it as they say it brings in tourism?
So Southy what statements correct?
As Phil has just pointed out the amount of reclaimed land is vast .
there wouldn't be the road into western esplanade & there wouldn't be a western esplanade.
fishing from Mayflower Park is okay to you but it's reclaimed land & if not reclaimed as old pictures show you would have a small pathway alongside the city walls so no fishing or maybe we could go back further & maybe they could fish from the top of the cities walls?
You say about the tidal? surely this is false as the real one would be against the city walls or just in front of King Canutes Palace?
Southy your arguments against don't stack up! You say "The Boat show only brings a bit of economic money in as most of the money leaves the city." You also say "That will never change, because its a turn around port and not a visiting port.' Yet your for Liverpool getting turnaround status to bring jobs to their city they're for it as they say it brings in tourism? So Southy what statements correct? As Phil has just pointed out the amount of reclaimed land is vast . there wouldn't be the road into western esplanade & there wouldn't be a western esplanade. fishing from Mayflower Park is okay to you but it's reclaimed land & if not reclaimed as old pictures show you would have a small pathway alongside the city walls so no fishing or maybe we could go back further & maybe they could fish from the top of the cities walls? You say about the tidal? surely this is false as the real one would be against the city walls or just in front of King Canutes Palace? loosehead
  • Score: 0

10:57pm Sun 26 Feb 12

phil maccavity says...

Didnt Southy say in one of his earlier posts that you can walk from one side of Soton Water to another at low tide?
Didnt Southy say in one of his earlier posts that you can walk from one side of Soton Water to another at low tide? phil maccavity
  • Score: 0

7:14am Mon 27 Feb 12

loosehead says...

phil maccavity wrote:
Didnt Southy say in one of his earlier posts that you can walk from one side of Soton Water to another at low tide?
What's his real name? King Canute?
[quote][p][bold]phil maccavity[/bold] wrote: Didnt Southy say in one of his earlier posts that you can walk from one side of Soton Water to another at low tide?[/p][/quote]What's his real name? King Canute? loosehead
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree