Report this comment
  • "
    southy wrote:
    sfby wrote:
    southy wrote:
    biggusdickus wrote: The council is still spinning: ''The council received a £4.9m lottery grant to build it. The remainder will come from fundraising and asset sales''. The facts are that no funds have been raised by donations, and none from asset (art gallery) sales. They knew this before the project started, and bent the truth to justify the project. This project has been missold to the taxpayers of Southampton. I predict that income from ticket sales will be minimal - few cruise passengers will come up that far, and most residents will use their 'free' ticket, and never visit it again. A very expensive white elephant!
    This Tory council also borrowed £5 million from another council to fight the Unions.
    No Southy, they didn't. Just basic Treasury Management in action. Look it up.
    Yes they did, the £5 million was borrowed to fight a legal battle against the Unions and also to pay for Contractors to cover the strikers. Try to attend some council meeting and you will learn
    If it was agreed at a Council meeting it will be minuted. Please provide the internet link. If you are correct I will apologise"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Unions call off SeaCity Museum protest in Southampton

Unions call off SeaCity Museum protest in Southampton

SeaCity Museum, Southampton

SeaCity Museum, Southampton

First published in Business Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Politics and business reporter

UNIONS have called off the threat of industrial action on the day the city’s £15m Titanic museum opens.

The decision comes after members refused to back it.

Leaders of the Unison and Unite unions said they did not want to cause distress to a parade of 500 children each carrying an image of one of those who died in the disaster, many from Southampton, during the commemorations on April 10.

The parade would have clashed with a union walkout and protest march over mass pay cuts imposed on staff last summer. Unions said they weren’t previously aware of the children’s parade.

Tory council leaders had slammed the proposed industrial action as “despicable” and “a new low” in the bitter dispute.

Unions leaders insist it was not designed to diminish the memory of dead Southampton seafarers, most of whom were members of trade unions, and were disappointed that Conservative councillors made such an accusation.

They said council workers believed money saved by cutting their wages has been used to fund the construction of the £15m SeaCity Museum.

The council received a £4.9m lottery grant to build it. The remainder will come from fundraising and asset sales.

Unison branch secretary Mike Tucker said the museum was opening “purely to enhance the Conservatives’ election campaign”.

He said: “Council workers remain angry that their wages have been cut while money is spent on Cllr Smith’s vanity project.”

Council leader Royston Smith said: “It is great news that the unions have decided not to protest on this day and I’m pleased that they have seen sense. As the city remembers and pays tribute to all those Southampton people who died onboard Titanic, and hundreds of children parade through the city, it would have been completely inappropriate for a protest to take place.”

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree