Fears The Castle in Midanbury will become a supermarket

Fears over future of pub

Fears over future of pub

First published in Business Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

FEARS are mounting that a neighbourhood pub will swap pints of beer for milk and turn into a supermarket.

The Castle in Midanbury, Southampton, faces an uncertain future after its landlord stepped down amid harsh trading conditions.

The pub may shut in August after which current landlord Michael Warner, 32, said it could follow the fate of other city pubs and become another chain store.

Owners Enterprise Inns has not ruled this out and said it was keeping its options open.

But Mr Warner said the pub’s chequered past has made it difficult for him and sister Charlene to make it a success after taking over four years ago.

He said: “We are gutted that it is going because we feel like we have let people down but we know deep down that it’s not our fault.

“The troubled past was a big factor, which was a shame because it used to be a vibrant community pub. It has been difficult to get people through the doors.”

The pub, which dates back to the 1930s, was targeted in 2007 when a mob of nine youths burst in, armed with a handgun and a petrol bomb, believing their enemies to be inside.

Investigators said it was only down to luck that the bomb failed to ignite and the gunman failed to fire his weapon – saving up to 30 lives. Supermarket giants throughout the country are eyeing up struggling pubs.

A loophole in planning regulations means supermarket chains do not require change of use planning permission.

So far this year Tesco has converted The Woodman in Lordswood Road and The Bulls Eye in Butts Road, Sholing, into its Express stores.

The Co-op has also replaced The Anchor and Hope in Foundry Lane, Freemantle, with a store.

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:12pm Sat 30 Jun 12

Solomon's Boot says...

Are you an alcoholic, 'Bigfella?'
Are you an alcoholic, 'Bigfella?' Solomon's Boot
  • Score: 0

1:18pm Sat 30 Jun 12

userds5050 says...

The Eagle in the City centre is now a corner store too.
The Eagle in the City centre is now a corner store too. userds5050
  • Score: 0

1:20pm Sat 30 Jun 12

loosehead says...

The Anchor & Hope use to do live music on Sundays & was always full.
the Woodman on a weekend was always full but it's pub grub was rank.
I would leave my Rugby club & get a lift to the Woodman & it was never empty so why did it shut?
It's getting to the point now these private companies can see a bigger profit from selling it for shops or flats than from selling beer.
they charge the tenant exorbitant rents & then charge over the top prices for the alcohol.
Please let us see Micro breweries open as pubs in this city with lower beer prices & a good friendly clientele
The Anchor & Hope use to do live music on Sundays & was always full. the Woodman on a weekend was always full but it's pub grub was rank. I would leave my Rugby club & get a lift to the Woodman & it was never empty so why did it shut? It's getting to the point now these private companies can see a bigger profit from selling it for shops or flats than from selling beer. they charge the tenant exorbitant rents & then charge over the top prices for the alcohol. Please let us see Micro breweries open as pubs in this city with lower beer prices & a good friendly clientele loosehead
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Sat 30 Jun 12

arthur dalyrimple says...

without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.
without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone. arthur dalyrimple
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Sat 30 Jun 12

frenchvic says...

Did not know about The Bullseye, what a shame. Used it in the seventies and early eighties, good friendly pub, no trouble.
Did not know about The Bullseye, what a shame. Used it in the seventies and early eighties, good friendly pub, no trouble. frenchvic
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Sat 30 Jun 12

bigfella777 says...

So my posts get removed now,there was nothing offensive to anyone in what I said just my opinion,if I dont like pubs thats up to me.Freedom of speech is dead.
So my posts get removed now,there was nothing offensive to anyone in what I said just my opinion,if I dont like pubs thats up to me.Freedom of speech is dead. bigfella777
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Sat 30 Jun 12

Saintsincethe60s says...

arthur dalyrimple wrote:
without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.
Surely your not trying to say that with filthy tobacco smoke the places smelt nice, pubs are much more pleasant places to visit now, less of a health risk and you dont go home smelling of an old ash tray.

Get real
[quote][p][bold]arthur dalyrimple[/bold] wrote: without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.[/p][/quote]Surely your not trying to say that with filthy tobacco smoke the places smelt nice, pubs are much more pleasant places to visit now, less of a health risk and you dont go home smelling of an old ash tray. Get real Saintsincethe60s
  • Score: 0

5:04pm Sat 30 Jun 12

IronLady2010 says...

Saintsincethe60s wrote:
arthur dalyrimple wrote:
without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.
Surely your not trying to say that with filthy tobacco smoke the places smelt nice, pubs are much more pleasant places to visit now, less of a health risk and you dont go home smelling of an old ash tray.

Get real
Pubs were better when they had smoking sections, so anyone was welcome.

The smoking ban has killed the pub trade.

My pet hate is walking up High Street past wetherspoons and everyone is outside blowing smoke in my face as I walk past. At least if they had an area inside which was ventilated it would contain the smoke in one area.
[quote][p][bold]Saintsincethe60s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]arthur dalyrimple[/bold] wrote: without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.[/p][/quote]Surely your not trying to say that with filthy tobacco smoke the places smelt nice, pubs are much more pleasant places to visit now, less of a health risk and you dont go home smelling of an old ash tray. Get real[/p][/quote]Pubs were better when they had smoking sections, so anyone was welcome. The smoking ban has killed the pub trade. My pet hate is walking up High Street past wetherspoons and everyone is outside blowing smoke in my face as I walk past. At least if they had an area inside which was ventilated it would contain the smoke in one area. IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

5:27pm Sat 30 Jun 12

Grumpy Old Man of St. Denys says...

On a different note, do ANY of the Echo journalists live in Southampton? There is no pub called the Dorchester Arms in St. Denys.
On a different note, do ANY of the Echo journalists live in Southampton? There is no pub called the Dorchester Arms in St. Denys. Grumpy Old Man of St. Denys
  • Score: 0

5:34pm Sat 30 Jun 12

IronLady2010 says...

Grumpy Old Man of St. Denys wrote:
On a different note, do ANY of the Echo journalists live in Southampton? There is no pub called the Dorchester Arms in St. Denys.
It's listed as Dorchester Arms Bevois Valley on every website if you google it.
[quote][p][bold]Grumpy Old Man of St. Denys[/bold] wrote: On a different note, do ANY of the Echo journalists live in Southampton? There is no pub called the Dorchester Arms in St. Denys.[/p][/quote]It's listed as Dorchester Arms Bevois Valley on every website if you google it. IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

5:40pm Sat 30 Jun 12

voiceof thepeople says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Grumpy Old Man of St. Denys wrote:
On a different note, do ANY of the Echo journalists live in Southampton? There is no pub called the Dorchester Arms in St. Denys.
It's listed as Dorchester Arms Bevois Valley on every website if you google it.
It's in Onslow Road, not too far away from St Denys......
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpy Old Man of St. Denys[/bold] wrote: On a different note, do ANY of the Echo journalists live in Southampton? There is no pub called the Dorchester Arms in St. Denys.[/p][/quote]It's listed as Dorchester Arms Bevois Valley on every website if you google it.[/p][/quote]It's in Onslow Road, not too far away from St Denys...... voiceof thepeople
  • Score: 0

7:38pm Sat 30 Jun 12

AndyAndrews says...

For me the only pubs worth keeping are those that supply decent, reasonably-priced meals.
I'd go for a Tesco Express anytime...
For me the only pubs worth keeping are those that supply decent, reasonably-priced meals. I'd go for a Tesco Express anytime... AndyAndrews
  • Score: 0

9:02pm Sat 30 Jun 12

Condor Man says...

most pubs are sadly not worth saving, I avoided the Castle like the plague when I lived in Midanbury.
most pubs are sadly not worth saving, I avoided the Castle like the plague when I lived in Midanbury. Condor Man
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Sat 30 Jun 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

Last orders please!
Last orders please! OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

10:19pm Sat 30 Jun 12

loosehead says...

Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol loosehead
  • Score: 0

10:36pm Sat 30 Jun 12

J.P.M says...

loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point? J.P.M
  • Score: 0

11:09pm Sat 30 Jun 12

IronLady2010 says...

J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
[quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked! IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

11:44pm Sat 30 Jun 12

cantthinkofone says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors... cantthinkofone
  • Score: 0

11:55pm Sat 30 Jun 12

dolomiteman says...

I live close to the castle and do not use it because it is full of idiots intent of trying to start fights and yes I have been in there recently.
Why spend £3.50 on a pint when next door I can buy a pint (well 500ml) can of the same drink for £1?
The new landlord never made any effort in promoting his stance of keeping out the trouble which he didn't follow up and having abandoned vehicles and cars for sale in the car park really doesn't make a good impression.
I live close to the castle and do not use it because it is full of idiots intent of trying to start fights and yes I have been in there recently. Why spend £3.50 on a pint when next door I can buy a pint (well 500ml) can of the same drink for £1? The new landlord never made any effort in promoting his stance of keeping out the trouble which he didn't follow up and having abandoned vehicles and cars for sale in the car park really doesn't make a good impression. dolomiteman
  • Score: 0

12:10am Sun 1 Jul 12

MrBrightside85 says...

Good, the Castle is a chav filled dump, closing it is the best thing for it.
Good, the Castle is a chav filled dump, closing it is the best thing for it. MrBrightside85
  • Score: 0

2:38am Sun 1 Jul 12

Poppy22 says...

Will Enterprise Inns have any pubs left?
Will Enterprise Inns have any pubs left? Poppy22
  • Score: 0

8:23am Sun 1 Jul 12

loosehead says...

cantthinkofone wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
So the NHS are conning me then?
go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one?
Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream.
but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation.
I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub.
then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.
[quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...[/p][/quote]So the NHS are conning me then? go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one? Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream. but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation. I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub. then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats. loosehead
  • Score: 0

8:25am Sun 1 Jul 12

arthur dalyrimple says...

cantthinkofone wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
Doctors and their vaccines are the starting point of most chronic illness ,like taking baby sitting lessons off King Herod.
[quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...[/p][/quote]Doctors and their vaccines are the starting point of most chronic illness ,like taking baby sitting lessons off King Herod. arthur dalyrimple
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Sun 1 Jul 12

davy1966 says...

Yeah The highfield is re-opening as an Indian restaurant :(
Yeah The highfield is re-opening as an Indian restaurant :( davy1966
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Sun 1 Jul 12

caring says...

For all those who have slated the castle, all i can assume is that you were told not to come back. i have been using the Castle now for the last four years and all i can say is well done to char and mick for the clean up they have done. Just hope all those who have rubbished them will be very happy that people have lost their jobs and the whole parade closes. And the likes of Tesco;s keep them awake early in the morning. Also have these people every thought for one min that it is the people who use the pub that cause problems but those that are barred. And me for one is very sad it is going as it is now going to cause drink driving to out of town pubs. Also my children and very upset as this is the only place in the area that they can come with family and feel safe, the other pubs in the area i would not take make children. Yet again and massive thank you to Char and Mick and Amy ****
For all those who have slated the castle, all i can assume is that you were told not to come back. i have been using the Castle now for the last four years and all i can say is well done to char and mick for the clean up they have done. Just hope all those who have rubbished them will be very happy that people have lost their jobs and the whole parade closes. And the likes of Tesco;s keep them awake early in the morning. Also have these people every thought for one min that it is the people who use the pub that cause problems but those that are barred. And me for one is very sad it is going as it is now going to cause drink driving to out of town pubs. Also my children and very upset as this is the only place in the area that they can come with family and feel safe, the other pubs in the area i would not take make children. Yet again and massive thank you to Char and Mick and Amy **** caring
  • Score: 0

6:55pm Sun 1 Jul 12

cantthinkofone says...

loosehead wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
So the NHS are conning me then?
go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one?
Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream.
but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation.
I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub.
then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.
Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently.

My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...[/p][/quote]So the NHS are conning me then? go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one? Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream. but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation. I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub. then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.[/p][/quote]Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently. My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none. cantthinkofone
  • Score: 0

7:00pm Sun 1 Jul 12

IronLady2010 says...

cantthinkofone wrote:
loosehead wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
So the NHS are conning me then?
go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one?
Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream.
but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation.
I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub.
then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.
Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently.

My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.
I recently had a blood test which came back that I have a High Cholesterol of 6.8

My GP phoned me and said I should go on a diet, when I told him my weight and height, he said, ok you're under weight so ignore it.

Maybe my GP should have read through my notes before phoning me and scaring the hell out of me!
[quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...[/p][/quote]So the NHS are conning me then? go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one? Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream. but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation. I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub. then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.[/p][/quote]Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently. My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.[/p][/quote]I recently had a blood test which came back that I have a High Cholesterol of 6.8 My GP phoned me and said I should go on a diet, when I told him my weight and height, he said, ok you're under weight so ignore it. Maybe my GP should have read through my notes before phoning me and scaring the hell out of me! IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

9:40pm Sun 1 Jul 12

loosehead says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
loosehead wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
So the NHS are conning me then?
go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one?
Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream.
but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation.
I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub.
then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.
Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently.

My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.
I recently had a blood test which came back that I have a High Cholesterol of 6.8

My GP phoned me and said I should go on a diet, when I told him my weight and height, he said, ok you're under weight so ignore it.

Maybe my GP should have read through my notes before phoning me and scaring the hell out of me!
IronLady when I use to drink on a regular basis my cholesterol count count was 1.5 I stopped drinking to maybe one night a month & it went up to 5.4 I'm now on statins as my family has a history of heart problems.
to read that crass comment from cantthinkfone so what if it lowers cholesterol is unbelievable.
a well run pub is an asset to a neighbour hood.in everything we do in life there's a danger to it.drink to much put your health at risk drink moderately enjoy yourself & not be a nuisance to any one & you help keep your health.
I know that excessive eating drinking drug taking is bad for you.
as is driving instead of walking .
this is a pub selling totally legitimate goods yet because of the exorbitant taxes can't make enough profit so is/could become a shop selling dairy produce & cholesterol makers.
As for the tax collect on all alcohol sales & related products this far outweighs the cost of any alcohol related treatments.
as with fags the tax collected was £75billion & the NHS received £34billion treatment cost millions yet they campaigned to ban it?
Drink driving is wrong & it should be zero alcohol reading but the police are now admitting a lot of car crashes are not alcohol but drug related so why do we get these anti pub people on here?
I hope for the regulars this reopens as a family pub
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...[/p][/quote]So the NHS are conning me then? go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one? Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream. but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation. I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub. then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.[/p][/quote]Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently. My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.[/p][/quote]I recently had a blood test which came back that I have a High Cholesterol of 6.8 My GP phoned me and said I should go on a diet, when I told him my weight and height, he said, ok you're under weight so ignore it. Maybe my GP should have read through my notes before phoning me and scaring the hell out of me![/p][/quote]IronLady when I use to drink on a regular basis my cholesterol count count was 1.5 I stopped drinking to maybe one night a month & it went up to 5.4 I'm now on statins as my family has a history of heart problems. to read that crass comment from cantthinkfone so what if it lowers cholesterol is unbelievable. a well run pub is an asset to a neighbour hood.in everything we do in life there's a danger to it.drink to much put your health at risk drink moderately enjoy yourself & not be a nuisance to any one & you help keep your health. I know that excessive eating drinking drug taking is bad for you. as is driving instead of walking . this is a pub selling totally legitimate goods yet because of the exorbitant taxes can't make enough profit so is/could become a shop selling dairy produce & cholesterol makers. As for the tax collect on all alcohol sales & related products this far outweighs the cost of any alcohol related treatments. as with fags the tax collected was £75billion & the NHS received £34billion treatment cost millions yet they campaigned to ban it? Drink driving is wrong & it should be zero alcohol reading but the police are now admitting a lot of car crashes are not alcohol but drug related so why do we get these anti pub people on here? I hope for the regulars this reopens as a family pub loosehead
  • Score: 0

9:56pm Sun 1 Jul 12

cantthinkofone says...

loosehead wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
loosehead wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts?
A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends.
The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you.
but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that.
People drink at home now making society less social.
or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken.
you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why?
because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive.
many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive.
bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked.
my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away.

Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you.

Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead!

Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing.

And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...
So the NHS are conning me then?
go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one?
Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream.
but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation.
I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub.
then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.
Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently.

My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.
I recently had a blood test which came back that I have a High Cholesterol of 6.8

My GP phoned me and said I should go on a diet, when I told him my weight and height, he said, ok you're under weight so ignore it.

Maybe my GP should have read through my notes before phoning me and scaring the hell out of me!
IronLady when I use to drink on a regular basis my cholesterol count count was 1.5 I stopped drinking to maybe one night a month & it went up to 5.4 I'm now on statins as my family has a history of heart problems.
to read that crass comment from cantthinkfone so what if it lowers cholesterol is unbelievable.
a well run pub is an asset to a neighbour hood.in everything we do in life there's a danger to it.drink to much put your health at risk drink moderately enjoy yourself & not be a nuisance to any one & you help keep your health.
I know that excessive eating drinking drug taking is bad for you.
as is driving instead of walking .
this is a pub selling totally legitimate goods yet because of the exorbitant taxes can't make enough profit so is/could become a shop selling dairy produce & cholesterol makers.
As for the tax collect on all alcohol sales & related products this far outweighs the cost of any alcohol related treatments.
as with fags the tax collected was £75billion & the NHS received £34billion treatment cost millions yet they campaigned to ban it?
Drink driving is wrong & it should be zero alcohol reading but the police are now admitting a lot of car crashes are not alcohol but drug related so why do we get these anti pub people on here?
I hope for the regulars this reopens as a family pub
I'm not anti-pub at all. A good pub can be the heart of a community, and I regularly enjoy a pint of cask in a country pub, or a glass of white in the garden in Summer.

But you're missing the point entirely. That drinking reduces (or prevents maybe) cholesterol build up, if true, does NOT mean that it is good for you. Alcohol is essentially a poison, and has a significant number of harmful effects. If it has one or two positive effects as well, this doesn't change the fact that OVERALL it is harmful.

Your personal experience is irrelevant I'm afraid. A research study with a sample size of one is pretty meaningless.

People should feel free to have a drink and enjoy it, and they should also be aware that it's not good for them. Neither is pizza, lazing about on the sofa, or living in an urban area, but we do these things because they make our lives more enjoyable and/or convenient. That's fine, it's what makes life a pleasurable experience. I'm not anti-pub, and I'm not anti-having-a-drink. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking it's a tonic.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]Who needs the empirical method when we have anecdote instead! Oh, and doctors don't think that a little alcohol is good for you by the way. Not ones that know what they're on about anyway. There has been several poorly designed pieces of research that have come to that conclusion, which have received disproportionate amounts of publicity. The evidence to the contrary is far greater, but is less appealing. And whatever you do, don't make the mistake of thinking GPs are a proper doctors...[/p][/quote]So the NHS are conning me then? go to a surgery to see a "Doctor" & you don't get to see one? Research was done here & the States & in Europe which proved Alcohol,Porridge & a few other products actually broke down cholesterol in the blood stream. but if taken in excess alcohol was bad for you so as in most things in life you take it in moderation. I was trying to say we need to take a big step back in time where the publican brewed his own beer & owned his pub. then prices could be lower & they wouldn't be getting sold for either shops or flats.[/p][/quote]Because something breaks down cholesterol in your blood stream does not therefore mean it's 'good' for you. That's just one effect - what about all the others? This is the kind of misreporting of research and drawing of false conclusions that the media are guilty of so frequently. My comment about GPs was a little tongue-in-cheek, but there's a genuine and serious point behind it too. Jack of all trades, master of none.[/p][/quote]I recently had a blood test which came back that I have a High Cholesterol of 6.8 My GP phoned me and said I should go on a diet, when I told him my weight and height, he said, ok you're under weight so ignore it. Maybe my GP should have read through my notes before phoning me and scaring the hell out of me![/p][/quote]IronLady when I use to drink on a regular basis my cholesterol count count was 1.5 I stopped drinking to maybe one night a month & it went up to 5.4 I'm now on statins as my family has a history of heart problems. to read that crass comment from cantthinkfone so what if it lowers cholesterol is unbelievable. a well run pub is an asset to a neighbour hood.in everything we do in life there's a danger to it.drink to much put your health at risk drink moderately enjoy yourself & not be a nuisance to any one & you help keep your health. I know that excessive eating drinking drug taking is bad for you. as is driving instead of walking . this is a pub selling totally legitimate goods yet because of the exorbitant taxes can't make enough profit so is/could become a shop selling dairy produce & cholesterol makers. As for the tax collect on all alcohol sales & related products this far outweighs the cost of any alcohol related treatments. as with fags the tax collected was £75billion & the NHS received £34billion treatment cost millions yet they campaigned to ban it? Drink driving is wrong & it should be zero alcohol reading but the police are now admitting a lot of car crashes are not alcohol but drug related so why do we get these anti pub people on here? I hope for the regulars this reopens as a family pub[/p][/quote]I'm not anti-pub at all. A good pub can be the heart of a community, and I regularly enjoy a pint of cask in a country pub, or a glass of white in the garden in Summer. But you're missing the point entirely. That drinking reduces (or prevents maybe) cholesterol build up, if true, does NOT mean that it is good for you. Alcohol is essentially a poison, and has a significant number of harmful effects. If it has one or two positive effects as well, this doesn't change the fact that OVERALL it is harmful. Your personal experience is irrelevant I'm afraid. A research study with a sample size of one is pretty meaningless. People should feel free to have a drink and enjoy it, and they should also be aware that it's not good for them. Neither is pizza, lazing about on the sofa, or living in an urban area, but we do these things because they make our lives more enjoyable and/or convenient. That's fine, it's what makes life a pleasurable experience. I'm not anti-pub, and I'm not anti-having-a-drink. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking it's a tonic. cantthinkofone
  • Score: 0

2:35am Mon 2 Jul 12

Mr Price says...

Such a shame...Had my first ever pint in The Castle,Mum worked in Wavy-line, Xmas walked up had a pint before dinner with my brothers ...a lot changed in 30 years !!!!
Such a shame...Had my first ever pint in The Castle,Mum worked in Wavy-line, Xmas walked up had a pint before dinner with my brothers ...a lot changed in 30 years !!!! Mr Price
  • Score: 0

6:51am Mon 2 Jul 12

townieboy says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Saintsincethe60s wrote:
arthur dalyrimple wrote: without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.
Surely your not trying to say that with filthy tobacco smoke the places smelt nice, pubs are much more pleasant places to visit now, less of a health risk and you dont go home smelling of an old ash tray. Get real
Pubs were better when they had smoking sections, so anyone was welcome. The smoking ban has killed the pub trade. My pet hate is walking up High Street past wetherspoons and everyone is outside blowing smoke in my face as I walk past. At least if they had an area inside which was ventilated it would contain the smoke in one area.
Cross the road.....simples
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Saintsincethe60s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]arthur dalyrimple[/bold] wrote: without smokers pubs smell disgusting ,mixture of old sprouts and old socks , best left well alone.[/p][/quote]Surely your not trying to say that with filthy tobacco smoke the places smelt nice, pubs are much more pleasant places to visit now, less of a health risk and you dont go home smelling of an old ash tray. Get real[/p][/quote]Pubs were better when they had smoking sections, so anyone was welcome. The smoking ban has killed the pub trade. My pet hate is walking up High Street past wetherspoons and everyone is outside blowing smoke in my face as I walk past. At least if they had an area inside which was ventilated it would contain the smoke in one area.[/p][/quote]Cross the road.....simples townieboy
  • Score: 0

11:37am Mon 2 Jul 12

mr tein says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
loosehead wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol
What is your point?
The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked!
The fact you havent seen concrete evidence for smoking is a bit like the fact that I havent seen the empire state building. Both exist, neither of us got off our to see them yet though.

Smoking is not the only cause of cancer, hence why non smokers can get cancer.

Best thing that happened in the Uk was getting rid of smoke from public places
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Don't believe you lot.most people have quite happily used pubs but for some strange reason we only have anti pub posts? A good pub with a good air extraction system & not catering for the young set can be a good place to go & have a drink & talk to friends. The ASH campaign & the medical profession have forced up the prices which is wrong as even the doctors admit that drinking in moderation is good for you. but up go the taxes & rents & instead of the family man & his wife going to the pub to meet friends you only had smokers( majority) then you ban that. People drink at home now making society less social. or you see the youth glassy eyed before they go into a pub from the cheap drugs they've taken. you see more & more accidents where the smell of alcohol can be detected yet they fly through the breathalyser why? because they'll smoke a joint or pop pills & have a small bottle of beer to cover it then go out & fight or drive. many believe it's okay to smoke a joint & drive. bring back reasonably priced pubs or start testing for drugs for lung cancer & all other cancers & you'll be shocked. my old company did research & there's more cancerous products in a joint than a packet of fags yet alcohols good at destroying cholesterol[/p][/quote]What is your point?[/p][/quote]The point is no-one goes to pubs anymore as smokers are excluded. The freedom of choice has been taken away. Once we had a choice of a smoking room or a non smoking room which allows for everyone. Now, we have if you smoke go away we don't want you. Yet, I'm to see concrete evidence that smoking actually kills. My Uncle, Auntie and my Grandfather all died of Cancer and not one of them smoked![/p][/quote]The fact you havent seen concrete evidence for smoking is a bit like the fact that I havent seen the empire state building. Both exist, neither of us got off our to see them yet though. Smoking is not the only cause of cancer, hence why non smokers can get cancer. Best thing that happened in the Uk was getting rid of smoke from public places mr tein
  • Score: 0

1:49pm Mon 2 Jul 12

lowe esteem says...

Public houses...open to nearly all. Generally now "tied" houses playing the numbers game with no imagination. Manager/ Landlord committed to Brewery/ Pubco products with generic and homogenous image. A visit is rarely a pleasant experience. Hence supermarkets sell more cheap lager/quality bottled and spirits for street or take home consumption.
Only successful 'pubs' nowadays are those catering to specific, niche markets or themes ie City club drop-ins, Foody or Real Ale, or the Leisure/ Sports club.
Public houses...open to nearly all. Generally now "tied" houses playing the numbers game with no imagination. Manager/ Landlord committed to Brewery/ Pubco products with generic and homogenous image. A visit is rarely a pleasant experience. Hence supermarkets sell more cheap lager/quality bottled and spirits for street or take home consumption. Only successful 'pubs' nowadays are those catering to specific, niche markets or themes ie City club drop-ins, Foody or Real Ale, or the Leisure/ Sports club. lowe esteem
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree