Ordnance Survey payments anger

Daily Echo: Ordnance Survey headquarters in Southampton Ordnance Survey headquarters in Southampton

UNION leaders have condemned bosses at Ordnance Survey for accepting big bonuses.

As revealed in the Daily Echo , six directors at the publicly-owned map-makers shared up to £130,000 in payments on top of their salaries in the last year.

Despite austerity measures meaning other public servants have faced wage freezes or even cuts, the figure for “performance related pay” given to chiefs at the Southampton -based agency jumped by up to £45,000 on the amount handed out 12 months earlier.

Average wages for workers at the organisation remained stagnant during the same time, at £30,493.

Don Campbell, branch secretary at Ordnance Survey for the union Prospect, which represents more than half of the 1,100 staff at the £40m headquarters at Adanac Park, Nursling , said the directors should not have accepted the payments.

He said: “The bonuses may fit into the senior civil service performance pay systems but they could have said no.

“This would have been an opportunity for the directors to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.”

Southampton Itchen MP John Denham has also questioned whether the bonuses were justified “at a time when everybody else is tightening their belts”.

The Ordnance Survey’s annual accounts reveal that between £100,000 and £130,000 was dished out in bonuses to six directors during the last financial year.

A year earlier, its executives were given between £85,000 and £110,000.

Sales and market development director James Brayshaw, who has a basic salary of up to £130,000, received the biggest additional payment, pocketing between £25,000 and £30,000.

Two more directors received at least £20,000, while chief executive Vanessa Lawrence got between £15,000 and £20,000.

Paul Hemsley, Ordnance Survey’s director of finance and corporate services, was the agency’s highest paid individual, earning a total of £237,500 last year, which included a bonus of up to £10,000.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:40pm Wed 29 Aug 12

__KTF__ says...

So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it... __KTF__
  • Score: 0

4:50pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Des Olated says...

__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
[quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square. Des Olated
  • Score: 0

4:53pm Wed 29 Aug 12

TheFonz says...

The treatment of the agency staff there is appalling.
The treatment of the agency staff there is appalling. TheFonz
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Wed 29 Aug 12

southy says...

Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
[quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money. southy
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Wed 29 Aug 12

sarfhamton says...

30k a year aint a bad wedge to be fair
30k a year aint a bad wedge to be fair sarfhamton
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Wed 29 Aug 12

southy says...

Des Olated said "The world is square."

If you say so, not that I think it is, but if you wish to believe that the world is square thats up to you, its your point of view of things.
Des Olated said "The world is square." If you say so, not that I think it is, but if you wish to believe that the world is square thats up to you, its your point of view of things. southy
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Des Olated says...

southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives?
How much profit did OS make?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make? Des Olated
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Wed 29 Aug 12

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
Des Olated said "The world is square."

If you say so, not that I think it is, but if you wish to believe that the world is square thats up to you, its your point of view of things.
.. well, it's just as likely that you would believe the world is square as some of the other things you have come out with in the last few years.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Des Olated said "The world is square." If you say so, not that I think it is, but if you wish to believe that the world is square thats up to you, its your point of view of things.[/p][/quote].. well, it's just as likely that you would believe the world is square as some of the other things you have come out with in the last few years. freefinker
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Wed 29 Aug 12

southy says...

Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives?
How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
[quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before. southy
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Wed 29 Aug 12

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives?
How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so.

The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -.
Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m.

Previous year, 2009/10: -
Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m

It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years.

Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources. freefinker
  • Score: 0

6:06pm Wed 29 Aug 12

freefinker says...

freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives?
How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so.

The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -.
Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m.

Previous year, 2009/10: -
Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m

It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years.

Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: -

Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m

So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'. freefinker
  • Score: 0

7:03pm Wed 29 Aug 12

George4th says...

freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives?
How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so.

The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -.
Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m.

Previous year, 2009/10: -
Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m

It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years.

Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: -

Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m

So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people..............
.......
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. ....... George4th
  • Score: 0

7:58pm Wed 29 Aug 12

freefinker says...

George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities.

Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't;
Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else.
Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest .
Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker.
Margaret Thatcher is evil
The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives?
How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so.

The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -.
Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m.

Previous year, 2009/10: -
Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m

It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years.

Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: -

Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m

So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people..............

.......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly.

However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information.

In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information. freefinker
  • Score: 0

10:51pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Scrutinizer says...

Oh well, let's just be grateful that at least we're not hearing the usual morale-deflating: "Don't panic folks, we're all in this together"...
Oh well, let's just be grateful that at least we're not hearing the usual morale-deflating: "Don't panic folks, we're all in this together"... Scrutinizer
  • Score: 0

11:03pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Scrutinizer says...

freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado
w Minister for disinformation...
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation... Scrutinizer
  • Score: 0

12:45am Thu 30 Aug 12

southy says...

Scrutinizer wrote:
freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado

w Minister for disinformation...
There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.
[quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation...[/p][/quote]There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world. southy
  • Score: 0

9:40am Thu 30 Aug 12

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
Scrutinizer wrote:
freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado


w Minister for disinformation...
There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.
.. not true southy.

As I have clearly demonstrated from the 3 years data provided above, revenue is on an upwards trend.

You can’t just make statements such as you just have without the statistical evidence to back it up. Particularly after I have already provided you with the data.

That you want “sales % has been going down” for your own political and propaganda purposes does not mean that is actually happening.

You really do need to do your research before you open your big mouth.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation...[/p][/quote]There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.[/p][/quote].. not true southy. As I have clearly demonstrated from the 3 years data provided above, revenue is on an upwards trend. You can’t just make statements such as you just have without the statistical evidence to back it up. Particularly after I have already provided you with the data. That you want “sales % has been going down” for your own political and propaganda purposes does not mean that is actually happening. You really do need to do your research before you open your big mouth. freefinker
  • Score: 0

9:49am Thu 30 Aug 12

Georgem says...

southy wrote:
Scrutinizer wrote:
freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado


w Minister for disinformation...
There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.
Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation...[/p][/quote]There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.[/p][/quote]Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening. Georgem
  • Score: 0

11:19am Thu 30 Aug 12

southy says...

Georgem wrote:
southy wrote:
Scrutinizer wrote:
freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado



w Minister for disinformation...
There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.
Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.
Not MIGHT is happening sales of O/S maps have been going down and they been producing fewer and fewer maps each year, and the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce, and new techology also means fewer people are needed, and the prices of there maps have gone up.
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation...[/p][/quote]There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.[/p][/quote]Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.[/p][/quote]Not MIGHT is happening sales of O/S maps have been going down and they been producing fewer and fewer maps each year, and the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce, and new techology also means fewer people are needed, and the prices of there maps have gone up. southy
  • Score: 0

11:21am Thu 30 Aug 12

Georgem says...

southy wrote:
Georgem wrote:
southy wrote:
Scrutinizer wrote:
freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado




w Minister for disinformation...
There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.
Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.
Not MIGHT is happening sales of O/S maps have been going down and they been producing fewer and fewer maps each year, and the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce, and new techology also means fewer people are needed, and the prices of there maps have gone up.
See previous comment.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation...[/p][/quote]There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.[/p][/quote]Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.[/p][/quote]Not MIGHT is happening sales of O/S maps have been going down and they been producing fewer and fewer maps each year, and the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce, and new techology also means fewer people are needed, and the prices of there maps have gone up.[/p][/quote]See previous comment. Georgem
  • Score: 0

11:52am Thu 30 Aug 12

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
Georgem wrote:
southy wrote:
Scrutinizer wrote:
freefinker wrote:
George4th wrote:
freefinker wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
southy wrote:
Des Olated wrote:
__KTF__ wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...
Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.
You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.
Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?
#If what I am hearing less then the year before.
.. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.
.. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.
The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......
.. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.
Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado




w Minister for disinformation...
There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.
Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.
Not MIGHT is happening sales of O/S maps have been going down and they been producing fewer and fewer maps each year, and the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce, and new techology also means fewer people are needed, and the prices of there maps have gone up.
.. oh southy, you do like shooting from the hip, don't you?

You have no data to back up these assertions, do you?

Yes, sales of standard paper maps may have declined but that is because OS have grasped new technology and offer maps in electronic formats that many people find more convenient - especially in the rain on windy hillside, etc.

The fact is, and you can't deny it, revenue (i.e. sales) has gone up year on year.

This is not caused by "cut backs on the workforce, and new techology" but by increasing sales.

What you mention has no doubt contributed to increased profits, but you have been wrong in all your assertions so far concerning both profits and sales.

There is no substitute for being well informed. Just making it up as you go along shows both ignorance and a lack of determination to being well informed.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scrutinizer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Des Olated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: So what? Other companies hand out bonuses on a yearly basis for performance related activities. Have the union bosses also declined any pay rises or bonuses to "to align themselves with their staff in terms of how we are all facing up to austerity and pay freezes.” I doubt it...[/p][/quote]Southy will be along in a minute to answer that but in case he doesn't; Union members are all happy as long as they're sharing the wealth with everyone else. Union leaders all work for minimum wage and are scrupulously honest . Bosses deserve no more then the lowest paid worker. Margaret Thatcher is evil The world is square.[/p][/quote]You are talking about a private sector here, theses bonuses are paid Tax payers money.[/p][/quote]Not talking about any specific sector. Presumably the bonuses here are contractual and are being paid because of achievement of business objectives? How much profit did OS make?[/p][/quote]#If what I am hearing less then the year before.[/p][/quote].. er, not so. The last year for which details are available was 2010/11: -. Revenue £129.4m; Profit £24.1m. Previous year, 2009/10: - Revenue £114.3m: Profit £16.7m It's all there on their website southy, full account for the last 11 years. Their year runs from 1 April. If you have the data for 2011/12 then please share it with us - including your sources.[/p][/quote].. ooops, I stand corrected. The 2011/12 data is available: - Revenue £141.8m: Profit £31.9m So, both revenue and profits up - you were wrong to say 'less then the year before'.[/p][/quote]The figures are meaningless! The OS has a captive business and it is not necessary to pay such high salaries and bonuses. You could get very capable people for half the salaries of the senior people.............. .......[/p][/quote].. you may well have a very valid point. OS is a state monopoly. However my motive for posting was to correct southy's inaccurate information. In that respect the figures are not meaningless but prove, yet again, he is a purveyor of false rumour and dodgy information.[/p][/quote]Well, comrade, according to the latest re-education class pronouncement, it's official; he's now Shallow...er...Shado w Minister for disinformation...[/p][/quote]There sales % has been going down in the last ten years, even Admirity charts sales have been going down, reason is because sites like google earth and others like it you can get maps on the internet for free, Decca now do a satilite potting system on screen doing away with needs of charts just 6 cds covering the whole world.[/p][/quote]Southy, your opinion on why something MIGHT happen does not count as evidence that it IS happening.[/p][/quote]Not MIGHT is happening sales of O/S maps have been going down and they been producing fewer and fewer maps each year, and the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce, and new techology also means fewer people are needed, and the prices of there maps have gone up.[/p][/quote].. oh southy, you do like shooting from the hip, don't you? You have no data to back up these assertions, do you? Yes, sales of standard paper maps may have declined but that is because OS have grasped new technology and offer maps in electronic formats that many people find more convenient - especially in the rain on windy hillside, etc. The fact is, and you can't deny it, revenue (i.e. sales) has gone up year on year. This is not caused by "cut backs on the workforce, and new techology" but by increasing sales. What you mention has no doubt contributed to increased profits, but you have been wrong in all your assertions so far concerning both profits and sales. There is no substitute for being well informed. Just making it up as you go along shows both ignorance and a lack of determination to being well informed. freefinker
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Thu 30 Aug 12

southy says...

When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use southy
  • Score: 0

12:23pm Thu 30 Aug 12

southy says...

southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
Go down Shirley at the O/S shop and ask them what sales are like.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]Go down Shirley at the O/S shop and ask them what sales are like. southy
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Thu 30 Aug 12

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
I've presented you with accurate data - OS sale are up, OS profits are up.

However much you ramble on with the red herring of your personal map-using experience that does not alter these facts. You need to accept this truth.

You were wrong to say "If what I am hearing less then the year before”; you were wrong to say “There sales % has been going down in the last ten years”; and you were wrong to say “the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce”.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]I've presented you with accurate data - OS sale are up, OS profits are up. However much you ramble on with the red herring of your personal map-using experience that does not alter these facts. You need to accept this truth. You were wrong to say "If what I am hearing less then the year before”; you were wrong to say “There sales % has been going down in the last ten years”; and you were wrong to say “the only reasons they are showing a profit now is because of the cut backs on the workforce”. freefinker
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Thu 30 Aug 12

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
Go down Shirley at the O/S shop and ask them what sales are like.
Gormans, Southampton Map Centre, Shirley Road, is NOT OS.

It is a private venture.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]Go down Shirley at the O/S shop and ask them what sales are like.[/p][/quote]Gormans, Southampton Map Centre, Shirley Road, is NOT OS. It is a private venture. freefinker
  • Score: 0

2:01pm Thu 30 Aug 12

Georgem says...

southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember. Georgem
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Thu 30 Aug 12

freefinker says...

Georgem wrote:
southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.
.. yep, evil hackers have altered all the maps so you will always get lost.
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.[/p][/quote].. yep, evil hackers have altered all the maps so you will always get lost. freefinker
  • Score: 0

9:47pm Thu 30 Aug 12

clausentum says...

freefinker wrote:
Georgem wrote:
southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.
.. yep, evil hackers have altered all the maps so you will always get lost.
Without a map of The Real World you simply end up traveling South towards La La Land.
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.[/p][/quote].. yep, evil hackers have altered all the maps so you will always get lost.[/p][/quote]Without a map of The Real World you simply end up traveling South towards La La Land. clausentum
  • Score: 0

11:07pm Thu 30 Aug 12

clausentum says...

clausentum wrote:
freefinker wrote:
Georgem wrote:
southy wrote:
When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use
You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.
.. yep, evil hackers have altered all the maps so you will always get lost.
Without a map of The Real World you simply end up traveling South towards La La Land.
Put another way: without a Personal Edition OS pristine paper map to rely upon as an authentic guide, you travel in ever-converging concentric circles. Your head eventually ends up wedged up your backside as you relish a lopsided conversation with yourself, convinced your fibs are facts.
[quote][p][bold]clausentum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: When was the last time you bought a map, and when was the last time you used some thing like Google Earth, think about it long and hard, I seen it on this site to many times people refering to Google Earth and not a map reference to locate a road, like my self it was 2 years ago i last bought a street map, I more often look at Google Earth to find out what I need and then just print a copy for personal use[/p][/quote]You use Google Earth? But that's the Internet. It's wrong, by definition, remember.[/p][/quote].. yep, evil hackers have altered all the maps so you will always get lost.[/p][/quote]Without a map of The Real World you simply end up traveling South towards La La Land.[/p][/quote]Put another way: without a Personal Edition OS pristine paper map to rely upon as an authentic guide, you travel in ever-converging concentric circles. Your head eventually ends up wedged up your backside as you relish a lopsided conversation with yourself, convinced your fibs are facts. clausentum
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree