When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Advice if you missed out on the A level grades you needed for university
10:20am Thursday 16th August 2012 in Education
IF you didn’t get the grades you needed for the university places you wanted, you still have options.
Every year, thousands of students go through “clearing” – the process by which those without a place can find courses with vacancies.
Southampton Solent University ’s head of recruitment, access and partnerships, Dr Steve Lake, has these tips for students going through clearing:
1. Don’t panic – you’re not alone.Competition will be fierce, but stay calm and consider your options carefully.
2. Careers advisers, teachers, parents and universities themselves are good sources of advice. Look at websites to find out about courses, accommodation and sporting and social life at universities you didn’t consider first time.
3. If the degree title you wanted isn’t on offer, consider related subjects. Check what’s available and whether it suits you.
4. Once you have an idea of the course you want to study, take advantage of any open days and make sure you like the university – you are going to be there for three years.
5. When you contact the university you have chosen, make sure you go to the phone armed with all you need to know jotted down:
● The course or subject area that interests you.
● Your UCAS application number (if you have one).
● Your exam results (all of them, including GCSEs).
● Your questions about courses, halls, student life and bursaries.
● A pen and paper to make notes.
6. Not getting a place this year is not the end of the world. If your grades did not reflect what you are capable of, or you were trying to get on to a heavily oversubscribed course, you still have options.
Start planning for next year by speaking to careers advisers, re-sit any exams you know you can improve on, ask universities if they will defer entry to 2013, or gain useful work experience by taking a gap year.
- Southampton Solent University clearing hotline: 023 8001 1722
- University of Southampton clearing hotline: 023 8059 8989
- University of Winchester course enquiries: 01962 827234
- UCAS exam results hotline: 0808 100 8000
- Southampton City College: 023 8048 4848