Matt Cardle and record label split

Daily Echo: Southampton-born singer Matt Cardle. Southampton-born singer Matt Cardle.

Southampton born singer-songwriter Matt Cardle has split from his record label after disappointing sales, writes Lee Williams.

The 2010 X Factor winner revealed that he had parted ways with Columbia on a social networking site.

It is understood the company did not renew Cardle’s contract when it came to an end.

His debut album Letters entered the charts at number two last October after his first single, When We Collide stormed to number one in 2010 following his X Factor success.

But since then sales dropped with his third and fourth single releases reaching only numbers 185 and 84.

The 29-year-old singer was born in Southampton but his family moved away while he was still at an early age. He recently returned to the city to publicise the Sport Relief Mile, visiting the No Limits charity to find out how £105,000 of the money raised had gone to help young people in the area.

The ex-painter and decorator had earlier said: “I spent two years in Southampton then moved to Bristol and across to Essex. I don’t really remember it to be fair but I wish I could.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:59pm Tue 22 May 12

Huey says...

who?
who? Huey

2:59pm Tue 22 May 12

Georgem says...

Huey wrote:
who?
I think he won some televised karaoke contest or something.
[quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: who?[/p][/quote]I think he won some televised karaoke contest or something. Georgem

3:31pm Tue 22 May 12

dopplershift says...

Georgem wrote:
Huey wrote: who?
I think he won some televised karaoke contest or something.
wow he must be brilliant
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: who?[/p][/quote]I think he won some televised karaoke contest or something.[/p][/quote]wow he must be brilliant dopplershift

5:01pm Tue 22 May 12

Condor Man says...

Shades of Steve Brookstein and others I can't remember the names of. This programme only benefits Simon Cowell, the artists will never prosper because virtually none of them have any sort of personality that sets them apart from the rest.
Shades of Steve Brookstein and others I can't remember the names of. This programme only benefits Simon Cowell, the artists will never prosper because virtually none of them have any sort of personality that sets them apart from the rest. Condor Man

5:17pm Tue 22 May 12

Georgem says...

Condor Man wrote:
Shades of Steve Brookstein and others I can't remember the names of. This programme only benefits Simon Cowell, the artists will never prosper because virtually none of them have any sort of personality that sets them apart from the rest.
It's worse than that, though. Once they've had their one year of fame, then what? Hardly any of them make it any further, so what do they do? Can you imagine being a "star" for a while, then having to go back to your old life? Quite aside from the assault on music this sort of thing is, I feel for the people that are exploited, too.

Like you say, only Cowell wins.
[quote][p][bold]Condor Man[/bold] wrote: Shades of Steve Brookstein and others I can't remember the names of. This programme only benefits Simon Cowell, the artists will never prosper because virtually none of them have any sort of personality that sets them apart from the rest.[/p][/quote]It's worse than that, though. Once they've had their one year of fame, then what? Hardly any of them make it any further, so what do they do? Can you imagine being a "star" for a while, then having to go back to your old life? Quite aside from the assault on music this sort of thing is, I feel for the people that are exploited, too. Like you say, only Cowell wins. Georgem

6:14pm Tue 22 May 12

Condor Man says...

Georgem wrote:
Condor Man wrote:
Shades of Steve Brookstein and others I can't remember the names of. This programme only benefits Simon Cowell, the artists will never prosper because virtually none of them have any sort of personality that sets them apart from the rest.
It's worse than that, though. Once they've had their one year of fame, then what? Hardly any of them make it any further, so what do they do? Can you imagine being a "star" for a while, then having to go back to your old life? Quite aside from the assault on music this sort of thing is, I feel for the people that are exploited, too.

Like you say, only Cowell wins.
BBC4 are showing a series on Punk music next month. John Lydon is still in the industry 35 years on, as is Paul Weller, Elvis Costello and other artists who wrote their own stuff. X Factor is just a rip off of Motown.
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Condor Man[/bold] wrote: Shades of Steve Brookstein and others I can't remember the names of. This programme only benefits Simon Cowell, the artists will never prosper because virtually none of them have any sort of personality that sets them apart from the rest.[/p][/quote]It's worse than that, though. Once they've had their one year of fame, then what? Hardly any of them make it any further, so what do they do? Can you imagine being a "star" for a while, then having to go back to your old life? Quite aside from the assault on music this sort of thing is, I feel for the people that are exploited, too. Like you say, only Cowell wins.[/p][/quote]BBC4 are showing a series on Punk music next month. John Lydon is still in the industry 35 years on, as is Paul Weller, Elvis Costello and other artists who wrote their own stuff. X Factor is just a rip off of Motown. Condor Man

9:00pm Tue 22 May 12

G-man1 says...

John Lydon makes butter adverts and appeared on I`m a Celebrity- he's got no more integrity than anyone who goes on the X Factor.

Has anyone watched TOTP2 when it's shown on BBC4. Some of the music on there from the "Golden Age" of the 70s is atrocious. Pop Music's always been hit and miss regardless of Cowell and his mob
John Lydon makes butter adverts and appeared on I`m a Celebrity- he's got no more integrity than anyone who goes on the X Factor. Has anyone watched TOTP2 when it's shown on BBC4. Some of the music on there from the "Golden Age" of the 70s is atrocious. Pop Music's always been hit and miss regardless of Cowell and his mob G-man1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree