Wightlink make 40 redundant in cut backs

Ferry firm to axe 40 jobs

Ferry firm to axe 40 jobs

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

Wightlink has announced it is making 40 staff redundant and reducing sailings amid “a difficult economic climate”.

The company's final salary pension scheme is also being closed and eight sailings face the axe because of poor usage.

On average some overnight sailings are 93 per cent empty for passengers and vehicle decks 80 per cent empty.

The cuts are blamed on the impact the wet summer had on tourism on the Isle of Wight, rising fuel costs and increasing regulations.

Chief Executive Russell Kew said “Wightlink has a long and proud history of serving the Isle of Wight, and we are determined to protect that heritage.

“These changes are a realistic response to the challenges which our business faces in today's difficult economic climate and will help to secure our vital service for passengers into the future as well as providing sustainable employment for our staff.”

It is also hoped the cost cutting measures will help fund new ships which Wightlink will soon require for the Portsmouth-Fishbourne route.

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:54pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Linesman says...

Does not look as if Whitelink will be one of the private sector firms that Cameron claimed would be employing public sector employees that his government have made redundant.

No Comet.

No Ford.

No Whitelink.

Next month?

Noel.

Happy Christmas.
Does not look as if Whitelink will be one of the private sector firms that Cameron claimed would be employing public sector employees that his government have made redundant. No Comet. No Ford. No Whitelink. Next month? Noel. Happy Christmas. Linesman
  • Score: 0

5:04pm Fri 2 Nov 12

rightway says...

Lowering the prices might have encouraged more people to use the service.
Lowering the prices might have encouraged more people to use the service. rightway
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Georgem says...

Linesman wrote:
Does not look as if Whitelink will be one of the private sector firms that Cameron claimed would be employing public sector employees that his government have made redundant.

No Comet.

No Ford.

No Whitelink.

Next month?

Noel.

Happy Christmas.
I don't see you thanking the private sector for taking up the slack whenever there's a story about jobs being created.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Does not look as if Whitelink will be one of the private sector firms that Cameron claimed would be employing public sector employees that his government have made redundant. No Comet. No Ford. No Whitelink. Next month? Noel. Happy Christmas.[/p][/quote]I don't see you thanking the private sector for taking up the slack whenever there's a story about jobs being created. Georgem
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Linesman says...

Georgem wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Does not look as if Whitelink will be one of the private sector firms that Cameron claimed would be employing public sector employees that his government have made redundant.

No Comet.

No Ford.

No Whitelink.

Next month?

Noel.

Happy Christmas.
I don't see you thanking the private sector for taking up the slack whenever there's a story about jobs being created.
For example?
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Does not look as if Whitelink will be one of the private sector firms that Cameron claimed would be employing public sector employees that his government have made redundant. No Comet. No Ford. No Whitelink. Next month? Noel. Happy Christmas.[/p][/quote]I don't see you thanking the private sector for taking up the slack whenever there's a story about jobs being created.[/p][/quote]For example? Linesman
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Lockssmart says...

If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.
If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime. Lockssmart
  • Score: 0

6:14pm Fri 2 Nov 12

loosehead says...

Surely this is exactly what Red Funnel's been doing for years?
Summer hire staff & run more ferries then along comes Winter with a downturn in trade & hey ho! not enough people using it so we have to shed jobs?
Surely the idea is to make enough in the summer months to carry you through in the quiet winter months isn't it?
If I remember this use to be a regular occurrence So why blame the financial position of the country?
This is about taking people on short term but promising them a long term job to get the most out of them only to drop them as soon as the downturn begins
Surely this is exactly what Red Funnel's been doing for years? Summer hire staff & run more ferries then along comes Winter with a downturn in trade & hey ho! not enough people using it so we have to shed jobs? Surely the idea is to make enough in the summer months to carry you through in the quiet winter months isn't it? If I remember this use to be a regular occurrence So why blame the financial position of the country? This is about taking people on short term but promising them a long term job to get the most out of them only to drop them as soon as the downturn begins loosehead
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Higginz says...

Lockssmart wrote:
If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.
£35 for a pre-planned return crossing for a family of four with a car. £14.80 return for a foot passenger. Seems at least very reasonable to me. What would you suggest they charge?
[quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.[/p][/quote]£35 for a pre-planned return crossing for a family of four with a car. £14.80 return for a foot passenger. Seems at least very reasonable to me. What would you suggest they charge? Higginz
  • Score: 0

7:21pm Fri 2 Nov 12

chunky_lover says...

I am constantly employing people at my business, and most of the people who come for intereviews are terrible.
I am constantly employing people at my business, and most of the people who come for intereviews are terrible. chunky_lover
  • Score: 0

7:28pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Lone Ranger. says...

chunky_lover wrote:
I am constantly employing people at my business, and most of the people who come for intereviews are terrible.
So are you saying that you are emplying terrible people ........ or what
[quote][p][bold]chunky_lover[/bold] wrote: I am constantly employing people at my business, and most of the people who come for intereviews are terrible.[/p][/quote]So are you saying that you are emplying terrible people ........ or what Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

7:44pm Fri 2 Nov 12

thomasupton says...

No surprises really with the cost of fuel rocketing everyday. Fuel bill alone has probably doubled in the past 2 years.
No surprises really with the cost of fuel rocketing everyday. Fuel bill alone has probably doubled in the past 2 years. thomasupton
  • Score: 0

7:59pm Fri 2 Nov 12

derek james says...

it's a pity the gosport ferry doesn't have more competition they can put their prices up with impunity
it's a pity the gosport ferry doesn't have more competition they can put their prices up with impunity derek james
  • Score: 0

8:51pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Lockssmart says...

Higginz wrote:
Lockssmart wrote:
If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.
£35 for a pre-planned return crossing for a family of four with a car. £14.80 return for a foot passenger. Seems at least very reasonable to me. What would you suggest they charge?
Do it for free. Let businesses on Isle of crap fund it. Surely they are making enough from the amount they charge for food and drink?
[quote][p][bold]Higginz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.[/p][/quote]£35 for a pre-planned return crossing for a family of four with a car. £14.80 return for a foot passenger. Seems at least very reasonable to me. What would you suggest they charge?[/p][/quote]Do it for free. Let businesses on Isle of crap fund it. Surely they are making enough from the amount they charge for food and drink? Lockssmart
  • Score: 0

10:15pm Fri 2 Nov 12

IronLady2010 says...

Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs. IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:44pm Fri 2 Nov 12

bazzeroz says...

No doubt Denham will be along in a minute to save the world! Hopefully he'll move to Portsmouth.
I heard this on the radio today and THIS statement isn't what was said on Wave105 but, hey, does it matter?
No doubt Denham will be along in a minute to save the world! Hopefully he'll move to Portsmouth. I heard this on the radio today and THIS statement isn't what was said on Wave105 but, hey, does it matter? bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

7:50am Sat 3 Nov 12

Linesman says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Maybe those losing their jobs were not Union members.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Maybe those losing their jobs were not Union members. Linesman
  • Score: 0

8:25am Sat 3 Nov 12

SaintDon13 says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory. SaintDon13
  • Score: 0

8:29am Sat 3 Nov 12

SaintDon13 says...

It's ironic that on Livetravel it is showing Wightlink services affected by staff illness! Captain Speaking with a hangover perhaps?
It's ironic that on Livetravel it is showing Wightlink services affected by staff illness! Captain Speaking with a hangover perhaps? SaintDon13
  • Score: 0

8:52am Sat 3 Nov 12

Linesman says...

SaintDon13 wrote:
It's ironic that on Livetravel it is showing Wightlink services affected by staff illness! Captain Speaking with a hangover perhaps?
That has also been reported on local radio. Strong winds = Rough seas = Mal de Mer.
[quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: It's ironic that on Livetravel it is showing Wightlink services affected by staff illness! Captain Speaking with a hangover perhaps?[/p][/quote]That has also been reported on local radio. Strong winds = Rough seas = Mal de Mer. Linesman
  • Score: 0

9:22am Sat 3 Nov 12

rightway says...

SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
[quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance. rightway
  • Score: 0

9:36am Sat 3 Nov 12

News Fanatic says...

I noticed this on the travel news section of the Echo's site at about 8am today:

Wightlink Hampshire
Disruption on Wightlink between Portsmouth and Fishbourne due to staff illness. 11:30. from Fishbourne 08:30, 10:30 and 12:30.

This must mean they do not even have people on standby to man their vessels in the event of illness - and that's before the 40 job cuts take effect.
I noticed this on the travel news section of the Echo's site at about 8am today: Wightlink Hampshire Disruption on Wightlink between Portsmouth and Fishbourne due to staff illness. 11:30. from Fishbourne 08:30, 10:30 and 12:30. This must mean they do not even have people on standby to man their vessels in the event of illness - and that's before the 40 job cuts take effect. News Fanatic
  • Score: 0

9:45am Sat 3 Nov 12

Torchie1 says...

rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
[quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

10:00am Sat 3 Nov 12

SaintDon13 says...

To be honest when I made my little quip I didn't know that it was a ships skipper that was taken unwell, they haven't many "spare" qualified Captains and they aren't the ones involved anyway. There are always a number of seasonal staff that aren't needed, but it seems to be more serious than that now. There are times when the ships are full, but the essential "night" boats probably carrying half a dozen essential passengers and a few comercials don't bring in much revenue but still cost much the same to run. It must be financial juggling act to balance the funding.
To be honest when I made my little quip I didn't know that it was a ships skipper that was taken unwell, they haven't many "spare" qualified Captains and they aren't the ones involved anyway. There are always a number of seasonal staff that aren't needed, but it seems to be more serious than that now. There are times when the ships are full, but the essential "night" boats probably carrying half a dozen essential passengers and a few comercials don't bring in much revenue but still cost much the same to run. It must be financial juggling act to balance the funding. SaintDon13
  • Score: 0

10:26am Sat 3 Nov 12

Linesman says...

Torchie1 wrote:
rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
An interesting trio.

Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough.

I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed.

Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned.

Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland.

The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated.

Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness!

Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader.

Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.[/p][/quote]An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official. Linesman
  • Score: 0

10:40am Sat 3 Nov 12

Torchie1 says...

Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
An interesting trio.

Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough.

I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed.

Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned.

Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland.

The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated.

Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness!

Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader.

Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.
Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.[/p][/quote]An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.[/p][/quote]Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

11:05am Sat 3 Nov 12

Linesman says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
An interesting trio.

Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough.

I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed.

Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned.

Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland.

The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated.

Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness!

Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader.

Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.
Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.
Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners.

If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period?

This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered.

The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.[/p][/quote]An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.[/p][/quote]Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.[/p][/quote]Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners. If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period? This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered. The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union? Linesman
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Sat 3 Nov 12

Torchie1 says...

Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
An interesting trio.

Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough.

I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed.

Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned.

Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland.

The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated.

Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness!

Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader.

Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.
Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.
Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners.

If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period?

This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered.

The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?
To give you something to get your teeth in to and allow you the last word, which always seems important to you, you can ask as many questions as you like because two things are certain, history won't be changed and I don't really care.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.[/p][/quote]An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.[/p][/quote]Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.[/p][/quote]Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners. If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period? This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered. The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?[/p][/quote]To give you something to get your teeth in to and allow you the last word, which always seems important to you, you can ask as many questions as you like because two things are certain, history won't be changed and I don't really care. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

1:17pm Sat 3 Nov 12

rightway says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.
Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.
Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners. If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period? This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered. The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?
To give you something to get your teeth in to and allow you the last word, which always seems important to you, you can ask as many questions as you like because two things are certain, history won't be changed and I don't really care.
So what your saying is, that your arguments are non-existent and you really don't know what your talking about. Nice of you to be honest for a change, with this degree of honesty you could join the RMT.
Welcome aboard.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.[/p][/quote]An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.[/p][/quote]Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.[/p][/quote]Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners. If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period? This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered. The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?[/p][/quote]To give you something to get your teeth in to and allow you the last word, which always seems important to you, you can ask as many questions as you like because two things are certain, history won't be changed and I don't really care.[/p][/quote]So what your saying is, that your arguments are non-existent and you really don't know what your talking about. Nice of you to be honest for a change, with this degree of honesty you could join the RMT. Welcome aboard. rightway
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Sat 3 Nov 12

burgerboy says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
chunky_lover wrote:
I am constantly employing people at my business, and most of the people who come for intereviews are terrible.
So are you saying that you are emplying terrible people ........ or what
Or could it be a sh*t company to work for,= high turnover of staff !!!.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]chunky_lover[/bold] wrote: I am constantly employing people at my business, and most of the people who come for intereviews are terrible.[/p][/quote]So are you saying that you are emplying terrible people ........ or what[/p][/quote]Or could it be a sh*t company to work for,= high turnover of staff !!!. burgerboy
  • Score: 0

5:33am Sun 4 Nov 12

Poppy22 says...

Higginz wrote:
Lockssmart wrote: If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.
£35 for a pre-planned return crossing for a family of four with a car. £14.80 return for a foot passenger. Seems at least very reasonable to me. What would you suggest they charge?
Why should foot passengers subsidise a family of four with a car?! Seems expensive for one foot passenger.
[quote][p][bold]Higginz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: If you didn't try and screw money out of people with over inflated crossing prices, more wold use the service. A victim of your own crime.[/p][/quote]£35 for a pre-planned return crossing for a family of four with a car. £14.80 return for a foot passenger. Seems at least very reasonable to me. What would you suggest they charge?[/p][/quote]Why should foot passengers subsidise a family of four with a car?! Seems expensive for one foot passenger. Poppy22
  • Score: 0

8:38am Sun 4 Nov 12

loosehead says...

I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill .
He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks.
Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent.
As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle.
One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union.
locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action?
but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me?
This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise
I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill . He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks. Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent. As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle. One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union. locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action? but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me? This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise loosehead
  • Score: 0

9:38am Sun 4 Nov 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

loosehead wrote:
I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill .
He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks.
Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent.
As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle.
One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union.
locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action?
but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me?
This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise
The breakaway Nottingham miners didn't save their jobs so that was futile. If there had been as much money put into research into greener, more efficient use of coal, as was put into the suppression of the mineworkers we would still have a coal industry and better ways of producing green energy.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill . He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks. Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent. As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle. One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union. locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action? but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me? This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise[/p][/quote]The breakaway Nottingham miners didn't save their jobs so that was futile. If there had been as much money put into research into greener, more efficient use of coal, as was put into the suppression of the mineworkers we would still have a coal industry and better ways of producing green energy. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

9:44am Sun 4 Nov 12

Linesman says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
rightway wrote:
SaintDon13 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.
Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.
With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone.
And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.
They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.
An interesting trio.

Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough.

I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed.

Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned.

Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland.

The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated.

Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness!

Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader.

Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.
Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.
Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners.

If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period?

This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered.

The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?
To give you something to get your teeth in to and allow you the last word, which always seems important to you, you can ask as many questions as you like because two things are certain, history won't be changed and I don't really care.
If, as you claim, you don't really care, why contradict yourself by adding a comment?
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rightway[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintDon13[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Hold fire! The Unions will bring on a strike! This will save the jobs.[/p][/quote]Careful what you wish for, it's Bob Crow territory.[/p][/quote]With Bob Crow what you see is what you get, a man with a back bone. And thats the reason why the Press and Politician’s try to vilify him. In their opinion straight talking, honesty and integrity are things that those in public life should never have, things that Bob Crow has in abundance.[/p][/quote]They used to say the same things about Arthur Scargill, Derek Robinson and Derek Hatton. Straight talking 'honest' men who somehow survived the chaos they caused to live on comfortably while the sheep-like followers paid the price for their blind faith. They all thought they were invincible.[/p][/quote]An interesting trio. Thatcher was determined to break the NUM and sent in the police. My betting is that you did not see the documentary recently shown about how the police statements were doctored, and did not match the facts. Just like Hillsborough. I am not, and never was a fan of Scargill, but the predictions that he made at the time were correct. He was elected leader of the Union, and the Union's job was to save jobs. He tried, with the support of the membership, but Thatcher was determined to see the miners crushed. Good, honest Thatcher said that she would deal with and support the Nottingham Miners when they set up their own union, led by Roy Lynk and Neil Greatrex. The old 'Divide and Rule' policy for which her party are renowned. Resul? We have virtually no coal mines now, and import from Poland. The Nottingham Miners Union? They went to the wall. The promised support from No 10 evaporated. Neil Greatrex was charged with stealing money from a Miners' Charity. I do not think that Margaret Thatcher was called as a character witness! Red Robbo was a shop steward, not a Union leader. Derek Hatton was an elected member of Liverpool City Council and member of the Labour Party. Because of his activities he was expelled from the Labour Party. He was, to the best of my knowledge, a Union member or Union official.[/p][/quote]Collectively they were three people who thought they could take control using herds of idiots to further their cause, and when the dust settled the same three people were left unaffected by the chaos they engineered. The same thing will happen with with the RMT members and Bob Crow will still happily visit the pie shop as he looks for another interest in life. As for UK coal, it was and still is a sulphur rich type of product which was being blamed for the 'acid rain' that was wiping out forests in Scandanavia when it was being used in the UK. The same legislation that is causing the closure of power plants around the country today would have effectively closed the mines as well so at best they would have had a brief reprieve before closure.[/p][/quote]Sulphuric rain was never mentioned when Thatcher went to war with the miners. If, as you claim, the mines would have been closed anyway, do you not think that it would have been better if it were done by negotiation, with them closed over a period? This would have given time to diversify and bring in alternative employment to the area. The way that it was dealt with, by draconian measures, whole mining villages were left with precious few earning an income. Some have still not recovered. The action taken at the time was politically motivated, not because of the coal's sulpher content. If that were not the case, why was Thatcher 'in bed' with the newly formed Nottingham Miners Union?[/p][/quote]To give you something to get your teeth in to and allow you the last word, which always seems important to you, you can ask as many questions as you like because two things are certain, history won't be changed and I don't really care.[/p][/quote]If, as you claim, you don't really care, why contradict yourself by adding a comment? Linesman
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Sun 4 Nov 12

skeptik says...

With all the meandering complexity of the arguments here - the 40 who have list there jobs must be so pleased that Osborne has created a million jobs in the private sector he and Dippy Dave said so!
With all the meandering complexity of the arguments here - the 40 who have list there jobs must be so pleased that Osborne has created a million jobs in the private sector he and Dippy Dave said so! skeptik
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Sun 4 Nov 12

Linesman says...

loosehead wrote:
I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill .
He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks.
Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent.
As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle.
One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union.
locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action?
but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me?
This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise
As I stated earlier, I am not, and never was, a fan of Scargill.

As you say, 'Maggie vowed to crush the Unions.' That is why she was always for confrontation and against negotiation.

She talked sweetly to the miners in Nottingham when they set up their breakaway union, but had her fingers crossed behind her back, because they were treated the same as Scargill's members.

With a track record like that, is it any wonder that Unions have a deep distrust of the Tory Party, who are in the pocket of the CBI?

Winston Churchill once stated that 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' but neither Heath nor Thatcher took note of that advice.

When Thatcher declared war on the miners, did she expect them to roll over and play dead?

An interesting programme was shown in some areas in the past couple of weeks showing how the police acted, and the doctored reports that they handed in.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill . He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks. Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent. As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle. One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union. locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action? but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me? This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise[/p][/quote]As I stated earlier, I am not, and never was, a fan of Scargill. As you say, 'Maggie vowed to crush the Unions.' That is why she was always for confrontation and against negotiation. She talked sweetly to the miners in Nottingham when they set up their breakaway union, but had her fingers crossed behind her back, because they were treated the same as Scargill's members. With a track record like that, is it any wonder that Unions have a deep distrust of the Tory Party, who are in the pocket of the CBI? Winston Churchill once stated that 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' but neither Heath nor Thatcher took note of that advice. When Thatcher declared war on the miners, did she expect them to roll over and play dead? An interesting programme was shown in some areas in the past couple of weeks showing how the police acted, and the doctored reports that they handed in. Linesman
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Sun 4 Nov 12

loosehead says...

Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill .
He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks.
Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent.
As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle.
One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union.
locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action?
but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me?
This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise
As I stated earlier, I am not, and never was, a fan of Scargill.

As you say, 'Maggie vowed to crush the Unions.' That is why she was always for confrontation and against negotiation.

She talked sweetly to the miners in Nottingham when they set up their breakaway union, but had her fingers crossed behind her back, because they were treated the same as Scargill's members.

With a track record like that, is it any wonder that Unions have a deep distrust of the Tory Party, who are in the pocket of the CBI?

Winston Churchill once stated that 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' but neither Heath nor Thatcher took note of that advice.

When Thatcher declared war on the miners, did she expect them to roll over and play dead?

An interesting programme was shown in some areas in the past couple of weeks showing how the police acted, and the doctored reports that they handed in.
The election Maggie was voted in I voted Labour.
but soon realised here was a leader who did what she said she would & voted I voted Tory next time around & haven't seen any reason to change my vote
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill . He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks. Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent. As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle. One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union. locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action? but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me? This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise[/p][/quote]As I stated earlier, I am not, and never was, a fan of Scargill. As you say, 'Maggie vowed to crush the Unions.' That is why she was always for confrontation and against negotiation. She talked sweetly to the miners in Nottingham when they set up their breakaway union, but had her fingers crossed behind her back, because they were treated the same as Scargill's members. With a track record like that, is it any wonder that Unions have a deep distrust of the Tory Party, who are in the pocket of the CBI? Winston Churchill once stated that 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' but neither Heath nor Thatcher took note of that advice. When Thatcher declared war on the miners, did she expect them to roll over and play dead? An interesting programme was shown in some areas in the past couple of weeks showing how the police acted, and the doctored reports that they handed in.[/p][/quote]The election Maggie was voted in I voted Labour. but soon realised here was a leader who did what she said she would & voted I voted Tory next time around & haven't seen any reason to change my vote loosehead
  • Score: 0

5:17pm Mon 5 Nov 12

SaintDon13 says...

loosehead wrote:
Linesman wrote:
loosehead wrote:
I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill .
He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks.
Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent.
As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle.
One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union.
locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action?
but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me?
This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise
As I stated earlier, I am not, and never was, a fan of Scargill.

As you say, 'Maggie vowed to crush the Unions.' That is why she was always for confrontation and against negotiation.

She talked sweetly to the miners in Nottingham when they set up their breakaway union, but had her fingers crossed behind her back, because they were treated the same as Scargill's members.

With a track record like that, is it any wonder that Unions have a deep distrust of the Tory Party, who are in the pocket of the CBI?

Winston Churchill once stated that 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' but neither Heath nor Thatcher took note of that advice.

When Thatcher declared war on the miners, did she expect them to roll over and play dead?

An interesting programme was shown in some areas in the past couple of weeks showing how the police acted, and the doctored reports that they handed in.
The election Maggie was voted in I voted Labour.
but soon realised here was a leader who did what she said she would & voted I voted Tory next time around & haven't seen any reason to change my vote
So we know who to blame then!
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I've avoided the argument about King Arthur Scargill . He held this country to ransom. He under Ted Heath put us on three day weeks. Maggie vowed to crush the Unions for that & then was even more determined after the Winter of Discontent. As with our local Unions He led his men to war on the elected power even when he knew Maggies aims he still led them to war only to be beaten in battle. One group of miners in Nottingham could see where& what he was doing & broke away from his union. locally our Union members were promised pay outs through legal action? but now have accepted lower redundancy pay & lower pensions only for the Labour council to announce more redundancy's sounds like a sell out to me? This ferry company is lying it's the seasonal shafting of the staff wait till high season & they'll be recruiting again & then next year they have to lose staff surprise,surprise[/p][/quote]As I stated earlier, I am not, and never was, a fan of Scargill. As you say, 'Maggie vowed to crush the Unions.' That is why she was always for confrontation and against negotiation. She talked sweetly to the miners in Nottingham when they set up their breakaway union, but had her fingers crossed behind her back, because they were treated the same as Scargill's members. With a track record like that, is it any wonder that Unions have a deep distrust of the Tory Party, who are in the pocket of the CBI? Winston Churchill once stated that 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' but neither Heath nor Thatcher took note of that advice. When Thatcher declared war on the miners, did she expect them to roll over and play dead? An interesting programme was shown in some areas in the past couple of weeks showing how the police acted, and the doctored reports that they handed in.[/p][/quote]The election Maggie was voted in I voted Labour. but soon realised here was a leader who did what she said she would & voted I voted Tory next time around & haven't seen any reason to change my vote[/p][/quote]So we know who to blame then! SaintDon13
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree