Mother pleaded with court to help son despite brutal attack

Mum thought she would die at hands of violent son

Mum thought she would die at hands of violent son

First published in News

A LOVING mother pleaded with a court not to send her son to prison – even though he had tied her up and throttled her to get cash to feed his drug addiction.

Terrified Myra Campbell thought she was going to die when Robert Campbell bound her body and mouth with tape and wrapped a bike chain around her wrists.

When police found her they were “shocked and appalled”. She was hunched over a bowl of water, her whole face bruised, her jaw out of line, her nose broken and her mouth was bleeding.

In a report, an officer said: “I thought she might die from her injuries or the shock of her ordeal. The image I have of her sat in the hallway brutalised beyond belief is one that I will never forget."

Winchester Crown Court heard that it was the fifth time Campbell had targeted her. He had throttled her so hard she suffered severe bruising at the back of her throat making it difficult to swallow. He also bit her ear so hard it left a clear teeth mark.

Despite that, Mrs Campbell didn’t want her son to be punished – she wanted him to get help.

The court heard that “she loves him very much and something must have happened to drive him into a frenzy”.

Mrs Campbell wrote three letters to the court telling of her love for her son, describing him as a vulnerable person and saying his “dramatic and violent mood swings” needed treatment.

Campbell, 33, had only been out of prison for two days after serving time for burglary when he struck again, the court heard.

The court was told how he had threatened his mum with a knife until she revealed her cash card number and gave him the details for his grandmother’s account too as he wanted money to pay off a debt.

Fleeced accounts Campbell, having warned his mum, who is in her 60s, not to try to escape or he would burn the New Forest house down, then fled in her car and fleeced the accounts of around £500.

The court was told she was too scared to try to activate a panic alarm, but when he returned he cut her free and demanded she remove her clothes so he could burn them, fearing he would be sent down “for life” if the police knew.

Campbell told his mother to tell people she had fallen over her dog to explain her injuries.

It was only when he drove off again that she managed to get to a neighbour’s home for help.

Prosecutor Eleanor Fargin told the court the attack happened after Campbell had been taken to a drugs appointment in Lymington by his mum and the pair had a row when Mrs Campbell told him she expected he would begin taking drugs again. He had reportedly told his mum: “I won’t kill you mum, I won’t kill you. I want you to learn a lesson because you doubted me about taking the drugs.”

Mitigating, Fern Russell said Campbell had drank half a bottle of whisky at the time as self medication for severe tooth problems. She said he had 23 previous convictions for 70 offences, four of which were incidents involving his mum.

The earliest was in 1997 when he throttled and punched her, while in 2000 he was convicted of common assault for another attack on her.

Others involved assaulting police, violence and carrying offensive weapons.

Campbell, of Northfield Road, Milford on Sea, pleaded guilty to false imprisonment, causing actual bodily harm, two counts of theft, taking a vehicle without consent, destroying property and driving while disqualified.

Jailing Campbell indefinitely, Judge Keith Cutler branded him “dangerous”

and said it was his job to protect the public as well as Campbell’s mother as he told him he would serve at least two-anda- half years for the false imprisonment before he could be considered for release.

He was given jail terms for each of the remaining offences which will run concurrently.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:30am Wed 14 Nov 12

Dasal says...

IMO lock him up forever, but...........
his mother obviously sees something in his life which has made him act this way, and if she believes in him after what hes put her through, who am I to doubt a mothers love !!

Very brave women and I wish her all the luck in the world.
IMO lock him up forever, but........... his mother obviously sees something in his life which has made him act this way, and if she believes in him after what hes put her through, who am I to doubt a mothers love !! Very brave women and I wish her all the luck in the world. Dasal
  • Score: 0

10:44am Wed 14 Nov 12

mbetts says...

See you next Tuesday!
See you next Tuesday! mbetts
  • Score: 0

10:51am Wed 14 Nov 12

lovetheladies says...

Bless his mum and wish her all the very best, but her son is beyond help!!! lets hope the prisoners teach him some respect!!
Bless his mum and wish her all the very best, but her son is beyond help!!! lets hope the prisoners teach him some respect!! lovetheladies
  • Score: 0

11:01am Wed 14 Nov 12

elvisimo says...

as with the "wheelie bin" murder case being reported on this site - you do wonder whether society would be better served if people like this were eradicated from society.Save a lot of money anyway.
as with the "wheelie bin" murder case being reported on this site - you do wonder whether society would be better served if people like this were eradicated from society.Save a lot of money anyway. elvisimo
  • Score: 0

11:11am Wed 14 Nov 12

bazzeroz says...

mbetts wrote:
See you next Tuesday!
My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)
[quote][p][bold]mbetts[/bold] wrote: See you next Tuesday![/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;) bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

11:21am Wed 14 Nov 12

rudolph_hucker says...

he should be put down
he should be put down rudolph_hucker
  • Score: 0

11:24am Wed 14 Nov 12

Over the Edge says...

bazzeroz wrote:
mbetts wrote:
See you next Tuesday!
My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)
oh yes we will,,,,totally agree as well
[quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mbetts[/bold] wrote: See you next Tuesday![/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)[/p][/quote]oh yes we will,,,,totally agree as well Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

11:25am Wed 14 Nov 12

MGRA says...

how could he have a "drug" habit if he was two days out of prison ?? oh yeh thats right..... prisons are really holiday camps.
how could he have a "drug" habit if he was two days out of prison ?? oh yeh thats right..... prisons are really holiday camps. MGRA
  • Score: 0

11:26am Wed 14 Nov 12

Dasal says...

bazzeroz wrote:
mbetts wrote: See you next Tuesday!
My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)
More than you think I suspect. Expressions been around quite a few years.........
and, yes I too agree !!
[quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mbetts[/bold] wrote: See you next Tuesday![/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)[/p][/quote]More than you think I suspect. Expressions been around quite a few years......... and, yes I too agree !! Dasal
  • Score: 0

11:27am Wed 14 Nov 12

Lockssmart says...

Sounds like the type of guy that I would really enjoy to see..........well, I can't say it on here.
Sounds like the type of guy that I would really enjoy to see..........well, I can't say it on here. Lockssmart
  • Score: 0

11:32am Wed 14 Nov 12

Subject48 says...

@mbetts, I know what you mean and I agree ;)

@elvisimo, you cant because it againts human rights.

I say a comprise, in that human rights do/should apply and exist, but if you choose to hurt another human being in this manner, you forsake your humanity. Therefore, human rights should not apply to such a being.
@mbetts, I know what you mean and I agree ;) @elvisimo, you cant because it againts human rights. I say a comprise, in that human rights do/should apply and exist, but if you choose to hurt another human being in this manner, you forsake your humanity. Therefore, human rights should not apply to such a being. Subject48
  • Score: 0

11:51am Wed 14 Nov 12

localnews says...

Subject48 wrote:
@mbetts, I know what you mean and I agree ;)

@elvisimo, you cant because it againts human rights.

I say a comprise, in that human rights do/should apply and exist, but if you choose to hurt another human being in this manner, you forsake your humanity. Therefore, human rights should not apply to such a being.
As you say, the Human rights of the victim never seems to matter.scum like this should die
[quote][p][bold]Subject48[/bold] wrote: @mbetts, I know what you mean and I agree ;) @elvisimo, you cant because it againts human rights. I say a comprise, in that human rights do/should apply and exist, but if you choose to hurt another human being in this manner, you forsake your humanity. Therefore, human rights should not apply to such a being.[/p][/quote]As you say, the Human rights of the victim never seems to matter.scum like this should die localnews
  • Score: 0

11:57am Wed 14 Nov 12

Dasal says...

localnews wrote:
Subject48 wrote: @mbetts, I know what you mean and I agree ;) @elvisimo, you cant because it againts human rights. I say a comprise, in that human rights do/should apply and exist, but if you choose to hurt another human being in this manner, you forsake your humanity. Therefore, human rights should not apply to such a being.
As you say, the Human rights of the victim never seems to matter.scum like this should die
Tell that to his Mother !!
[quote][p][bold]localnews[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Subject48[/bold] wrote: @mbetts, I know what you mean and I agree ;) @elvisimo, you cant because it againts human rights. I say a comprise, in that human rights do/should apply and exist, but if you choose to hurt another human being in this manner, you forsake your humanity. Therefore, human rights should not apply to such a being.[/p][/quote]As you say, the Human rights of the victim never seems to matter.scum like this should die[/p][/quote]Tell that to his Mother !! Dasal
  • Score: 0

12:01pm Wed 14 Nov 12

sophieb29 says...

The justice system is too soft!
The justice system is too soft! sophieb29
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Wed 14 Nov 12

Dasal says...

sophieb29 wrote:
The justice system is too soft!
No.for once maybe the system has listened to the VICTIM.
Read the story again and take in what his mother said.
Incidently I am not defending him because in my opinion HE IS SCUM, but his mother is the one who knows the whys & wherefores behind his actions, and god bless her for supporting her son.
[quote][p][bold]sophieb29[/bold] wrote: The justice system is too soft![/p][/quote]No.for once maybe the system has listened to the VICTIM. Read the story again and take in what his mother said. Incidently I am not defending him because in my opinion HE IS SCUM, but his mother is the one who knows the whys & wherefores behind his actions, and god bless her for supporting her son. Dasal
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Wed 14 Nov 12

Subject48 says...

I dunno...Love is irrational. So is hate. You cannot listen to either when applying law, law is logic and reason.
I dunno...Love is irrational. So is hate. You cannot listen to either when applying law, law is logic and reason. Subject48
  • Score: 0

12:41pm Wed 14 Nov 12

arthur dalyrimple says...

just one word that is never used these days , its called EVIL .
just one word that is never used these days , its called EVIL . arthur dalyrimple
  • Score: 0

12:41pm Wed 14 Nov 12

arthur dalyrimple says...

just one word that is never used these days , its called EVIL .
just one word that is never used these days , its called EVIL . arthur dalyrimple
  • Score: 0

12:42pm Wed 14 Nov 12

jimbos says...

bazzeroz wrote:
mbetts wrote:
See you next Tuesday!
My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)
Enjoy saying this to my team leaders face before every bank holiday.
[quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mbetts[/bold] wrote: See you next Tuesday![/p][/quote]My thoughts exactly. Although I doubt a lot of people will know what you mean ;)[/p][/quote]Enjoy saying this to my team leaders face before every bank holiday. jimbos
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Wed 14 Nov 12

Sir Ad E Noid says...

mbetts wrote:
See you next Tuesday!
Why, where you off to?
[quote][p][bold]mbetts[/bold] wrote: See you next Tuesday![/p][/quote]Why, where you off to? Sir Ad E Noid
  • Score: 0

10:09am Thu 15 Nov 12

Mr sheep says...

lets face it ! some ppl are just plain evil! there morals are up there ar?? and comation is none existent! hang on sounds like the con serv co alition , this guy is totaly void of self respect and he has no regard for his mother , she like al mums loves her son and cant see the sun shine through the trees ,he does need help and the system wont give him it ! its cleary vissable hes mentaly ill with anger issues on top , a custodial sentance just wont work on this guyand god for bid were lucky he hasnt killed any 1 yet . I would say lock him up , and throw the key away , and dont look back
lets face it ! some ppl are just plain evil! there morals are up there ar?? and comation is none existent! hang on sounds like the con serv co alition , this guy is totaly void of self respect and he has no regard for his mother , she like al mums loves her son and cant see the sun shine through the trees ,he does need help and the system wont give him it ! its cleary vissable hes mentaly ill with anger issues on top , a custodial sentance just wont work on this guyand god for bid were lucky he hasnt killed any 1 yet . I would say lock him up , and throw the key away , and dont look back Mr sheep
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree