Tesco planned for Broadlands Estate too big for needs, says business survey

Daily Echo: Survey casts doubt over Tesco plans for town Survey casts doubt over Tesco plans for town

A RETAIL study casts doubt on the size of Tesco's controversial proposed store for Romsey, according to the town's Chamber of Commerce.

It claims that the Test Valley Borough Council-commissioned report on the future shopping needs of residents suggests that a future town store would not need to be of the size proposed by the supermarket giant to cater for Romsey.

Tesco wants to build a 35,000 sq ft - or 3,252 sq m - store on a six-acre site known as Fairground Field, on the Broadlands Estate.

It says it will provide 200 jobs and draw people in to the town benefiting town centre businesses.

However, opponents fear that the store will cause congestion and harm trade in existing shops.

The Nathaniel Lichfield and Partners report will help inform plans for future retail developments in the borough and forecasts the amount of 'retail floorspace' that could be supported in Romsey and the town's future needs.

This is calculated on existing demand from the Romsey population and additional demand due to population growth.

It states that, from 2016 to 2021, Romsey would require a food store size of between 1,100 sq m and 1,300 sq m for main and bulk food shopping.

David Willox, joint president of Romsey Chamber of Commerce, said: “The report makes it clear that a store of the size proposed would have a significant impact on the town centre and it's also clear that a store of this size is not required.”

Mr Willow said he believes that overall to attract a supermarket chain in, to satisfy that supermarket's inevitable demand for non-food items and to stop people continuing to leave Romsey to shop a total floor space of 2,000 sq m up to 2,500 sq m would actually be justifiable.

He said his discussions with other supermarkets had arrived at a similar figure and that if too small the store would end up competing with Romsey's other supermarkets.

He added that another important aspect of the report was its appraisal of the National Planning Policy Framework which now requires councils to pursue policies that support the vitality and viability of town centres.

However, he said he was concerned that alternative sites to Broadlands had been dismissed mainly on the grounds of cost.

Tesco refused to comment on the size issue but pointed out that the report found there were not any suitable sites for a supermarket close to the town centre of the size it is proposing.

Tesco corporate affairs manager, Simon Petar, said: “We are pleased that the findings of this independent study agree with our own assessment.

“Namely, that there is no suitable, available and viable site in the town centre which could accommodate a store and car parking of the size needed to attract customers back to Romsey.”

A Test Valley spokeswoman said the report would help inform the council's decision making as “additional evidence which is taken into account when considering and planning local developments”.

She said the brief given for the study was a broad assessment of the viability of potential development sites.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:43am Thu 22 Nov 12

housewife says...

Romsey NEEDS another good sized food shop
but not there
Whitenap and Abbotswood are where the people are. Build the shop there so that people can WALK rather than needing to drive.
Romsey NEEDS another good sized food shop but not there Whitenap and Abbotswood are where the people are. Build the shop there so that people can WALK rather than needing to drive. housewife

10:45am Thu 22 Nov 12

wossit says...

Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods
Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods wossit

11:22am Thu 22 Nov 12

ohec says...

wossit wrote:
Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods
So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.
[quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods[/p][/quote]So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys. ohec

11:30am Thu 22 Nov 12

sarfhamton says...

Romsey, classic example of the land of the deluded NIMBY
Romsey, classic example of the land of the deluded NIMBY sarfhamton

11:35am Thu 22 Nov 12

aldermoorboy says...

The people want Tesco, let them have it in Romsey.
The people want Tesco, let them have it in Romsey. aldermoorboy

11:54am Thu 22 Nov 12

housewife says...

I've not shopped in a Tesco for years.
BUT
the issue is not so much NIMBY
as the fact that this is the WRONG location for a supermarket.
.
That side of Romsey already has Aldi, the Co-op and Waitrose.
The north side of Romsey has NOTHING.
.
Put the shop where the customers are.
Whitenap / Abbotswood.
.
Rather than where Tesco have been offered the land at a knockdown price.
I've not shopped in a Tesco for years. BUT the issue is not so much NIMBY as the fact that this is the WRONG location for a supermarket. . That side of Romsey already has Aldi, the Co-op and Waitrose. The north side of Romsey has NOTHING. . Put the shop where the customers are. Whitenap / Abbotswood. . Rather than where Tesco have been offered the land at a knockdown price. housewife

12:38pm Thu 22 Nov 12

ohec says...

I am sure Tesco have done their research into suitable sites and their catchment area and it would appear there are no sites big enough for the size store they envisage other than the one they have chosen,they plan to build a store for the future that is big enough to cope with future demand.
I am sure Tesco have done their research into suitable sites and their catchment area and it would appear there are no sites big enough for the size store they envisage other than the one they have chosen,they plan to build a store for the future that is big enough to cope with future demand. ohec

3:07pm Thu 22 Nov 12

wossit says...

ohec wrote:
wossit wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods
So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.
Sure as eggs are eggs it will kill the small traders in the Town centre, as for catering for are needs, do you think that is first thing that comes in to their heads ? Of course not money, shareholders and profit ! and do you really think they care about the town centre ?
[quote][p][bold]ohec[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods[/p][/quote]So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.[/p][/quote]Sure as eggs are eggs it will kill the small traders in the Town centre, as for catering for are needs, do you think that is first thing that comes in to their heads ? Of course not money, shareholders and profit ! and do you really think they care about the town centre ? wossit

5:33pm Thu 22 Nov 12

ohec says...

wossit wrote:
ohec wrote:
wossit wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods
So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.
Sure as eggs are eggs it will kill the small traders in the Town centre, as for catering for are needs, do you think that is first thing that comes in to their heads ? Of course not money, shareholders and profit ! and do you really think they care about the town centre ?
Oh boy you really are a bit thick its the people that use the stores that make the profit for the shareholders, but nobody makes people shop in their stores people go there for convenience/choice and price.
Shopping has changed people no longer have the time or the inclination to wander our streets they just want to park the car push the trolly around the store and go home, household shopping is now considered to be a chore that has to be done not a pleasure as it once was.
[quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ohec[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods[/p][/quote]So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.[/p][/quote]Sure as eggs are eggs it will kill the small traders in the Town centre, as for catering for are needs, do you think that is first thing that comes in to their heads ? Of course not money, shareholders and profit ! and do you really think they care about the town centre ?[/p][/quote]Oh boy you really are a bit thick its the people that use the stores that make the profit for the shareholders, but nobody makes people shop in their stores people go there for convenience/choice and price. Shopping has changed people no longer have the time or the inclination to wander our streets they just want to park the car push the trolly around the store and go home, household shopping is now considered to be a chore that has to be done not a pleasure as it once was. ohec

7:44am Fri 23 Nov 12

hmw says...

ohec wrote:
wossit wrote:
ohec wrote:
wossit wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods
So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.
Sure as eggs are eggs it will kill the small traders in the Town centre, as for catering for are needs, do you think that is first thing that comes in to their heads ? Of course not money, shareholders and profit ! and do you really think they care about the town centre ?
Oh boy you really are a bit thick its the people that use the stores that make the profit for the shareholders, but nobody makes people shop in their stores people go there for convenience/choice and price.
Shopping has changed people no longer have the time or the inclination to wander our streets they just want to park the car push the trolly around the store and go home, household shopping is now considered to be a chore that has to be done not a pleasure as it once was.
Speak for yourself, I love ogling the Asda dollies
[quote][p][bold]ohec[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ohec[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: Tesco's is like a parasite, It won't be long before its just the big boys left selling the same generic goods[/p][/quote]So you are one of the numpties that are blaming Tesco for everything, do you not understand that the big boys as you call them are just catering for the needs of the general public, it is the public that wants them yes some might complain about a store in Romsey but those same people are also happy to drive a few mile to another of the big boys stores. If these stores are so bad why do so many use them, if you feel so strongly against them don't use them then you will be happy and so will the thousands that do want to use them.Ask some of those people objecting if you can have a quick look in their cupboards/fridge chances are you will find products from the big boys.[/p][/quote]Sure as eggs are eggs it will kill the small traders in the Town centre, as for catering for are needs, do you think that is first thing that comes in to their heads ? Of course not money, shareholders and profit ! and do you really think they care about the town centre ?[/p][/quote]Oh boy you really are a bit thick its the people that use the stores that make the profit for the shareholders, but nobody makes people shop in their stores people go there for convenience/choice and price. Shopping has changed people no longer have the time or the inclination to wander our streets they just want to park the car push the trolly around the store and go home, household shopping is now considered to be a chore that has to be done not a pleasure as it once was.[/p][/quote]Speak for yourself, I love ogling the Asda dollies hmw

4:15pm Mon 26 Nov 12

RomseySaint84 says...

housewife wrote:
I've not shopped in a Tesco for years.
BUT
the issue is not so much NIMBY
as the fact that this is the WRONG location for a supermarket.
.
That side of Romsey already has Aldi, the Co-op and Waitrose.
The north side of Romsey has NOTHING.
.
Put the shop where the customers are.
Whitenap / Abbotswood.
.
Rather than where Tesco have been offered the land at a knockdown price.
Your Totally right. Why cant people see its the wrong area. Anybody who lives in Romsey will know how busy that part of Romsey gets. There is plenty of land there and loads of space to make wider roads etc.
[quote][p][bold]housewife[/bold] wrote: I've not shopped in a Tesco for years. BUT the issue is not so much NIMBY as the fact that this is the WRONG location for a supermarket. . That side of Romsey already has Aldi, the Co-op and Waitrose. The north side of Romsey has NOTHING. . Put the shop where the customers are. Whitenap / Abbotswood. . Rather than where Tesco have been offered the land at a knockdown price.[/p][/quote]Your Totally right. Why cant people see its the wrong area. Anybody who lives in Romsey will know how busy that part of Romsey gets. There is plenty of land there and loads of space to make wider roads etc. RomseySaint84

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree