When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
The Stone Roses announced as Friday night headliners at 2013 Isle of Wight Festival
THE Stone Roses have been confirmed as the first headline act for next year's Isle of Wight Festival.
The iconic 90s band, who reformed earlier this year for a string of eagerly-anticipated gigs, will head the bill on the main stage at Seaclose Park, Newport, on the Friday night of the 2013 music festival.
It will be the Manchester-based four piece’s only UK festival appearance of the year.
Isle of Wight promoter John Giddings said: "When you talk about the soundtrack of our lives, the Stone Roses are embedded in it. I am so proud to get them to our island - they will kick the weekend off with a bang."
The appearance on June 14 will be the first time the Fool’s Gold and I Am The Resurrection stars - Ian Brown, John Squire, Mani (aka Gary Mounfield) and Reni (aka Alan Wren) – have performed at the Isle of Wight Festival.
Tickets for the event in June go on general sale from Wednesday.
The announcement comes just a week after the festival was allowed to keep its licence by Isle of Wight Council, following complaints after this year’s festival descended into a mudbath, sparking traffic chaos across the island.
East Cowes-based aerospace company GKN, which is the Isle of Wight's largest employer, said it lost £50,000 because of gridlock as festivalgoers struggled to get into the site's car parks.
The firm behind the festival, Solo, told councillors it had already spent £200,000 on a total redesign of the travel plan for the event, and insisted the 2013 festival will have a new car park that is four times bigger and has extra entrances.
Ticketholders will be charged for parking to encourage more people to come by public transport.