When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Dad thought son had died from flat fall in Totton
“I thought he was dead.”
Those are the words of a Hampshire dad after his son was involved in a horror fall from a block of flats.
The father, who asked not to be named, has spoken of his terror at the incident, which happened in the early hours of Sunday morning.
He also called for a full inquiry to be carried out by trading standards chiefs, after claiming that the building does not meet health and safety requirements.
As reported in yesterday’s Daily Echo, two men in their 20s plunged 40ft from the new Linden Homes development in Brunswick Place, Totton, at about 1.50am.
The fall left 22-year-old Jordan Geary in a coma at Southampton General Hospital, with what are described as potentially “life-changing” injuries.
His 23-year-old pal, from Cadnam, suffered a broken arm, a dislocated elbow, a broken ankle and several broken toes in the incident.
He was yesterday undergoing surgery at Southampton General Hospital.
But his father, who is holding a bedside vigil, told how he thought his son had died in the four-storey plunge.
Speaking exclusively to the Daily Echo, he said: “I was absolutely devastated when I got the call. I thought he was dead.
“The lads’ girlfriends were on the phone in hysterics saying that the window had caved in and they had fallen.
“They’d had a few drinks and were just messing around in the stairwell, hugging each other and larking around and they just slipped into the alcove.
“The glass shouldn’t have just caved in like it did.”
The father questioned the thickness of the glass used in the automatic opening vent, which is designed to tilt open automatically when the fire alarm sounds to allow smoke to escape from the building.
He also posed questions as to why there were no barriers outside the glass vent, to prevent the men from tumbling to the ground.
Detective Inspector Charlie Rimmer said: “We are now liaising with the Health and Safety Executive and the trading standards department in relation to the circumstances surrounding what happened.”
A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said it was “aware of the incident” and making “initial enquiries”.
Meanwhile, the father revealed that Jordan, who remained in a drug-induced coma last night, was in “a pretty bad way”, but said that doctors were slowly reducing his morphine dosage to bring him out of the coma.
He added: “Our main priority at the moment is the boys and to get Jordan right.
“My son is still in a state of shock. He’s broken, but he can be fixed. Jordan’s injuries are more life-changing.
“We just want to get them back home and hopefully the boys eventually get themselves back to normal.”
Comments are closed on this article.