Heritage Lottery Fund gives boost to historic Eling Tide Mill

Daily Echo: Eling Tide Mill Eling Tide Mill

PLANS to improve public access to one of Hampshire’s most important buildings have received a boost.

The Heritage Lottery Fund has allocated £56,000 towards the cost of transforming Eling Tide Mill – and council chiefs hope eventually to be awarded a total of £1.2m.

Eling boasts the only working tide mill in Europe that produces flour for sale.

New Forest District Council and Totton and Eling Town Council want to enhance the grade II listed building as well as create a learning centre.

The aim is to allow more people to access the site and take part in hands-on learning.

Planned activities will result in visitors interacting with working models of the mill stones, taking part in baking demonstrations and joining guided walks of the area.

The 18th century mill is part of the Eling Experience, which embraces several historic sites in the area.

A Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) spokesman said: “The learning centre will provide a great insight into the heritage of the local area and enable people from near and far to learn about the important role the mill played in local community life.”

Totton and Eling Town Council welcomed the HLF’s initial support for the project.

Chairman Councillor Neville Penman said: “It’s fantastic news for the town and underlines the importance of a unique piece of local heritage.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:10pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Of the Ilk says...

The young men who have been running the mill when I have visited are so knowledgable and enthusiastic, they deserve all the help they can get.
The young men who have been running the mill when I have visited are so knowledgable and enthusiastic, they deserve all the help they can get. Of the Ilk
  • Score: 0

7:41pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

I think it's high time the young people including those of my age group visit places like this and learn about their local heritage, I'll certainly be doing so myself over the summer next year.
I think it's high time the young people including those of my age group visit places like this and learn about their local heritage, I'll certainly be doing so myself over the summer next year. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Fri 28 Dec 12

geoff51 says...

At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters.
Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.
At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters. Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves. geoff51
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Lone Ranger. says...

geoff51 wrote:
At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters.
Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.
FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !!
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters. Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.[/p][/quote]FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !! Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

8:36pm Fri 28 Dec 12

IronLady2010 says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters.
Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.
FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !!
Always one miserable old ****!
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters. Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.[/p][/quote]FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !![/p][/quote]Always one miserable old ****! IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

8:48pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Lone Ranger. says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters.
Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.
FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !!
Always one miserable old ****!
HEY ....... Less of the old ......
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters. Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.[/p][/quote]FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !![/p][/quote]Always one miserable old ****![/p][/quote]HEY ....... Less of the old ...... Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Fri 28 Dec 12

J.P.M says...

This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund J.P.M
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Fri 28 Dec 12

geoff51 says...

J.P.M wrote:
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?
[quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund[/p][/quote]How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night? geoff51
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Fri 28 Dec 12

geoff51 says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters.
Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.
FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !!
Come and visit you may be surprised at our heritage offer, we are not just a dumping ground for Southamptons rubbish as you would like to think.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: At least Totton is proud of its heritage unlike its big neighbour who disbanded its historical department so they could pay their union puppet masters. Good for you guys, now make sure that it gets the promotion it deserves.[/p][/quote]FFS an Old Mill ....... Thats the total amount of Heritage that you have is it !![/p][/quote]Come and visit you may be surprised at our heritage offer, we are not just a dumping ground for Southamptons rubbish as you would like to think. geoff51
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Fri 28 Dec 12

IronLady2010 says...

geoff51 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?
It's a troll..... IGNORE
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund[/p][/quote]How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?[/p][/quote]It's a troll..... IGNORE IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:19pm Fri 28 Dec 12

geoff51 says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?
It's a troll..... IGNORE
I hope you dont mean me Iron lady
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund[/p][/quote]How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?[/p][/quote]It's a troll..... IGNORE[/p][/quote]I hope you dont mean me Iron lady geoff51
  • Score: 0

10:23pm Fri 28 Dec 12

IronLady2010 says...

geoff51 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?
It's a troll..... IGNORE
I hope you dont mean me Iron lady
No x
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund[/p][/quote]How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?[/p][/quote]It's a troll..... IGNORE[/p][/quote]I hope you dont mean me Iron lady[/p][/quote]No x IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Lone Ranger. says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?
It's a troll..... IGNORE
I hope you dont mean me Iron lady
No x
Of course she doesnt xx
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund[/p][/quote]How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?[/p][/quote]It's a troll..... IGNORE[/p][/quote]I hope you dont mean me Iron lady[/p][/quote]No x[/p][/quote]Of course she doesnt xx Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

12:27am Sat 29 Dec 12

J.P.M says...

geoff51 wrote:
J.P.M wrote:
This is a very unpleasant area after dusk.
Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund
How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?
I went to the Anchor one Friday evening with a mate, It was not great, so we marched up a hill to the 2 pubs at the top.
Some very strange people across the bridge, and at the churchyard.

Sew some lead weights into your shirt-tail if you go for a walk around there.

Don't worry geoff51, I won't tell :>)
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is a very unpleasant area after dusk. Some flame-throwers would be a very welcome contribution from the lottery fund[/p][/quote]How do you know unless you are one of the people who frequent the area at night?[/p][/quote]I went to the Anchor one Friday evening with a mate, It was not great, so we marched up a hill to the 2 pubs at the top. Some very strange people across the bridge, and at the churchyard. Sew some lead weights into your shirt-tail if you go for a walk around there. Don't worry geoff51, I won't tell :>) J.P.M
  • Score: 0

2:59pm Sat 29 Dec 12

geoff51 says...

Typical of you Kiss and Tell every time!!
Typical of you Kiss and Tell every time!! geoff51
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree