EVERY picture tells a story, none more so when intruders were caught on camera.

Fed up at being previously burgled Mark Avery installed his own close circuit television camera in the living room at his Southampton house.

And his initiative bore fruit.

Out one morning he got a tip off that two people were acting strangely in his back garden.

When he returned to his home in Beechwood Gardens he quickly and painfully found out why.

Mohammed Prince Islam and a teenager had used a crowbar to smash their way in through a glass door and snatched a Playstation and electronic games as well as a computer.

But he had the vital proof on film and both intruders were charged with burglary.

However, Islam still pleaded his innocence when his case was heard at the city crown court in July.

He was then convicted and bailed for sentence the following month.

However, he failed to turn up for the next hearing and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.

Mr Avery played the major role in that, too.

He spotted the fugitive working in a shop in Southampton and told the police, who duly arrested him.

Now the 26-year-old, from Fritham Road, Harefield, has begun a 30- month prison sentence.

Judge Peter Ralls QC heard he was on a community order for drugs offending when he broke into the house and stole the items valued at about £800.

“This was a targeted attack,” said the judge, passing sentence. “The victim had been subjected to two previous burglaries. He had been upset and concerned about the way people had broken into his property.

“Burglary is always unpleasant for a victim and I am satisfied this was deliberately carried out by you with planning and organisation.

An immediate custodial sentence is the only appropriate penalty.”

In mitigation Sarah Jones said Islam had not re-offended in the interim, had been working and now intended to lead a law abiding life.

She claimed he had twice tried to hand himself in at the police station but he could not be arrested because there were not enough people to deal with him.

The court heard Islam’s 16-year-old co-accused pleaded guilty to the burglary before the city’s Youth Court and received a referral order.