Cricket streaker binged on ten pints of cider

Daily Echo: The Ageas Bowl The Ageas Bowl

A STREAKER binged on ten pints of cider before running on to the pitch during a major international fixture at the home of Hampshire cricket, it has been revealed.

The naked man sprinted on to the field of play at the Ageas Bowl as juniors were staging an exhibition match during an interval in England’s summer clash with the West Indies.

After being detained by stewards in front of some 14,000 spectators, he told police he had consumed ten pints of cider and a third of a bottle of wine before taking up a dare from another member of a stag party he was with.

Details of the incident were unveiled as part of an application by police to review the ground’s premises licence after the venue was found to have sold alcohol to under-18s on four separate occasions during test purchase operations.

A report written by PC Gavin Smith and presented to the licensing panel at Eastleigh Borough Council, described how the matter had become of “serious concern”

to Hampshire Constabulary over the last two years.

The club has now agreed to a set of new conditions.

Test purchases took place in August 2010 when Hampshire were playing Essex and in June 2011 when England were playing Sri Lanka. On both occasions a 16- year-old was able to buy alcohol.

A meeting took place between the club and police on July 31 last year where procedures and training were discussed.

But another under-aged test purchaser was sold two bottles of cider without any challenge to his age during England’s One Day International tie with South Africa in August.

Despite a further meeting, a 17- year-old test purchaser was later sold two pints of beer at the ground in September.

The club has now agreed to a “robust” set of conditions including keeping up to date incident and service refusal books at each bar and carrying out extra training.

Panel members stressed that “under-age sales in particular are taken very seriously and that future issues may lead to a further review where additional steps may be taken”.

A club spokesman said that a Challenge 25 initiative had been in force for “many years” as part of a Responsible Drinking Policy.

He added: “This policy is visible at the point of purchase at the ground and on the venue’s website.

“However, in the light of these isolated incidents, the club has been working alongside Hampshire Constabulary prior to the meeting yesterday to improve our practice in this area, including additional staff training and enhanced record keeping.

“This is an ongoing process but we continue to strive to ensure that our systems are in line with industry best practice.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:04am Sat 12 Jan 13

Cyber__Fug says...

Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?
Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ? Cyber__Fug
  • Score: 0

10:07am Sat 12 Jan 13

Linesman says...

Cyber__Fug wrote:
Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?
What is this newspaper called?

It is The ECHO.
[quote][p][bold]Cyber__Fug[/bold] wrote: Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?[/p][/quote]What is this newspaper called? It is The ECHO. Linesman
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Sat 12 Jan 13

Cyber__Fug says...

Linesman wrote:
Cyber__Fug wrote:
Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?
What is this newspaper called?

It is The ECHO.
It used to be Linesman.... it now has more repeats than the Dave tv channel
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cyber__Fug[/bold] wrote: Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?[/p][/quote]What is this newspaper called? It is The ECHO.[/p][/quote]It used to be Linesman.... it now has more repeats than the Dave tv channel Cyber__Fug
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Sat 12 Jan 13

Linesman says...

Cyber__Fug wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Cyber__Fug wrote:
Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?
What is this newspaper called?

It is The ECHO.
It used to be Linesman.... it now has more repeats than the Dave tv channel
What is an Echo, if it is not a repeat of a sound already made?

That is why the paper is called the ECHO.
[quote][p][bold]Cyber__Fug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cyber__Fug[/bold] wrote: Could someone from the Southern Daily Dave tell us why there is such a need to post the same word for word articles twice on following days ?[/p][/quote]What is this newspaper called? It is The ECHO.[/p][/quote]It used to be Linesman.... it now has more repeats than the Dave tv channel[/p][/quote]What is an Echo, if it is not a repeat of a sound already made? That is why the paper is called the ECHO. Linesman
  • Score: 0

5:41pm Sat 12 Jan 13

chrisja says...

It was an exhibition match, I therefore don't really see the problem?
It was an exhibition match, I therefore don't really see the problem? chrisja
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree