A GRIEVING couple are seeking answers after their youngest son suddenly developed a fatal allergy to peanuts.

“Gentle giant” John Wild, 29, had eaten peanuts and peanut butter all his life with no ill-effects but was taken ill while enjoying a snack in his room.

Now his parents, Martin and Sandra, are hoping an inquest into John’s death will shed light on the tragedy.

Speaking from the family home near Lymington, Mr Wild said: “We just want to know why he suddenly suffered such a massive reaction.

“We haven’t got a clue why it happened.

He had very bad asthma as a boy but g radually grew out of it and was virtually clear by the age of 11.”

John worked as a greenkeeper alongside his older brother Graham at Walhampton golf course.

Mr Wild added: “He went to work as usual, came home and was sorting through his DVDs.

When his mother took him a cup of tea he offered her some peanuts and asked when dinner was.

“Graham looked in on him a few minutes later and he was gone.

“We tried to resuscitate him and the ambulance crew took over when they arrived soon afterwards, but his lips and tongue w e r e swollen.”

John died from anaphylactic shock caused by an o u t - o f - t h e - blue reaction to peanuts.

His sister Sarah said: “The ambulance crew said our bodies are changing all the time and that it’s possible to suddenly develop an allergy.”

A British D i e t e t i c Association spokesman s a i d : “Although it can happen, it’s unusual for someone to have an anaphylactic reaction to a food they have eaten many times before.”

John, who was educated at Brockenhurst College, enjoyed watching films on his 50in television and also loved to go on cruises.

Mr Wild said: “He was a big man with a big heart.

“He had three main mates and everyone at the golf club liked him as well.

“He was a gentle giant who was known as ‘the big fella’.”