Report this comment
  • "Must have been the Union members rushing on buying burgers after a busy day blowing whistles to fill their bellies, the grills simply couldn't cope."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Customers evacuated from shopping centre due to blaze

Shoppers evacuated from WestQuay due to fire

Shoppers evacuated from WestQuay due to fire

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

SHOPPERS had to be evacuated after a fire broke out at a Southampton shopping centre this afternoon.

Kitchen staff in one of the restaurants in West Quay Shopping Centre's food court reported the fire after it began at an indoor grill at 5.15pm.

As a result emrergency services were alerted and Saturday afternoon shoppers told to leave the complex.

Fire crews from across the city were despatched to the scene but the blaze was out upon arrival.

A spokesman for Hamsphire Fire and Rescue Service said:  “Because of its location in a food court in West Quay we had an automatic response and we had quite a few pumps sent to the scene."

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree