Southampton fan 'punched me in the face' claims mum at Wigan match

Trouble flared following the game between Wigan Athletic and Southampton

Trouble flared following the game between Wigan Athletic and Southampton

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter

WOMAN has claimed she was punched in the face by a Saints fan amid violent scenes after the Premier League match at Wigan.

The Wigan supporter, who was walking home with her three-year-old daughter, was caught up in clashes after her side had scored a late equaliser to deny Saints a priceless victory.

Police are looking through CCTV pictures to identify rival fans who pelted each other with objects as they headed away from Wigan’s DW Stadium on Saturday.

First reports of trouble after the game, which ended in 2-2 draw between the relegation threatened rivals, came from Southampton officers, who routinely travel to away matches with Saints fans as part of Hampshire police’s football unit.

They said that footage was being reviewed in relation to the “poor behaviour” of “a minority” of fans on both sides, who were involved in “disturbances” shortly after the final whistle.

Among those caught up in the incident was a mother from Wigan, who accused Saints fans for sparking the trouble, which has left her three-year-old daughter “too scared” to return to her home side’s stadium. She made the claims on a social networking website.

However, one Southampton fan, who witnessed the trouble, said that both sets of fans were involved in mainly verbal abuse of each other, which was soon forgotten about, with the majority of fans from both sides sharing drinks with each other in the pub afterwards.

Related links

Initial reports to police in Wigan shortly after 5pm claimed that up to 500 people were involved in clashes and that objects such as bricks were being lobbed at fans as they left the stadium.

But officers arrived within minutes to find just a core group of between 20 and 30 people causing trouble.

Last night Greater Manchester Police confirmed that investigations were continuing into reports of objects being thrown.

A spokesman added that it was still unclear which fans were to blame but that CCTV images were being looked at to identify the culprits.

Force duty officer Mike Booth, from Greater Manchester Police, said: “There were objects being thrown by fans but there were no reports of any assaults or injuries and nobody was arrested.

“We had numerous calls about the incident but when officers arrived on the scene the group in question dispersed quickly.”

More crime stories

More Saints stories

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:30am Mon 4 Feb 13

WECOMING4U says...

She claimed on social networking site.? Surely she has reported this to the Police or do the Police act on what people say on these sites now?
She claimed on social networking site.? Surely she has reported this to the Police or do the Police act on what people say on these sites now? WECOMING4U
  • Score: 0

9:33am Mon 4 Feb 13

St Retford says...

There was a bottleneck at that bridge that goes over the canal and takes people back to town and it's always going to spark trouble as both sets of fans cross it. There were a few Wigan 'youths' on the opposite side who were giving it large but they went quiet as soon as the police turned up.

I thought it was all fairly good natured - we were in the Bricklayers Arms having a natter with the Wigans and it was fine. (And then we went to the pub etc!!!!!11111)
There was a bottleneck at that bridge that goes over the canal and takes people back to town and it's always going to spark trouble as both sets of fans cross it. There were a few Wigan 'youths' on the opposite side who were giving it large but they went quiet as soon as the police turned up. I thought it was all fairly good natured - we were in the Bricklayers Arms having a natter with the Wigans and it was fine. (And then we went to the pub etc!!!!!11111) St Retford
  • Score: 0

9:50am Mon 4 Feb 13

Linesman says...

WECOMING4U wrote:
She claimed on social networking site.? Surely she has reported this to the Police or do the Police act on what people say on these sites now?
If I had been her, and I was with a child, my first thought would have been to get home and not look for a policeman or police station (that would probably be closed anyway).
[quote][p][bold]WECOMING4U[/bold] wrote: She claimed on social networking site.? Surely she has reported this to the Police or do the Police act on what people say on these sites now?[/p][/quote]If I had been her, and I was with a child, my first thought would have been to get home and not look for a policeman or police station (that would probably be closed anyway). Linesman
  • Score: 0

10:18am Mon 4 Feb 13

Peoples Choice says...

I cannot believe The Echo are running a story in which this 'Mum' has started a slanderous campaign over twitter. She has published a photo of the offender, who is walking slowly with his hands in his pocket, no aggression. Her boyfriend has admitted to wanting to beat beople up and how she is coming to Southampton to kill. The relaity is the Wigan fans were on a bridge 10-12 foot up spitting down and coining those who had been directed that way, so how, unless you have super guts, could you spit 12ft up in the air? She has had her five minutes of fame I suggest the Echo delete this story as there is no proof and just a witch hnt that could get slanderous
I cannot believe The Echo are running a story in which this 'Mum' has started a slanderous campaign over twitter. She has published a photo of the offender, who is walking slowly with his hands in his pocket, no aggression. Her boyfriend has admitted to wanting to beat beople up and how she is coming to Southampton to kill. The relaity is the Wigan fans were on a bridge 10-12 foot up spitting down and coining those who had been directed that way, so how, unless you have super guts, could you spit 12ft up in the air? She has had her five minutes of fame I suggest the Echo delete this story as there is no proof and just a witch hnt that could get slanderous Peoples Choice
  • Score: 0

10:51am Mon 4 Feb 13

Ted Rogers says...

Any football 'Fan' that is proved to be engaging in this neanderthal-like behaviour should be banned from attending football grounds (and the vicinity) on matchdays for life.
Football is the game of the people; all should be able to travel to a match in safety, watch the game, and leave the ground without fear.
I have no doubt that this behaviour is carried out by the mindless minority - round 'em all up and exclude every single idiot.
Any football 'Fan' that is proved to be engaging in this neanderthal-like behaviour should be banned from attending football grounds (and the vicinity) on matchdays for life. Football is the game of the people; all should be able to travel to a match in safety, watch the game, and leave the ground without fear. I have no doubt that this behaviour is carried out by the mindless minority - round 'em all up and exclude every single idiot. Ted Rogers
  • Score: 0

10:56am Mon 4 Feb 13

kingnotail says...

Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers
Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers kingnotail
  • Score: 0

11:27am Mon 4 Feb 13

mr.southampton says...

WECOMING4U wrote:
She claimed on social networking site.? Surely she has reported this to the Police or do the Police act on what people say on these sites now?
Seems like some pretty tenuous reporting going on here!

#graspingatstraws
[quote][p][bold]WECOMING4U[/bold] wrote: She claimed on social networking site.? Surely she has reported this to the Police or do the Police act on what people say on these sites now?[/p][/quote]Seems like some pretty tenuous reporting going on here! #graspingatstraws mr.southampton
  • Score: 0

11:48am Mon 4 Feb 13

weall8leedscum says...

Sounds like an attention seeker who wanted her 5 minutes of fame
.
Funny how there were no witnesses .

Mind you, I got shot 7 times walking home the other day. I rushed home to update facebook and twitter, went to the pub and took a photo of the first person I saw and said "Thats him" . After 32 likes and 200 follows on twitter I phoned for an Ambulance {as you do}.
Sounds like an attention seeker who wanted her 5 minutes of fame . Funny how there were no witnesses . Mind you, I got shot 7 times walking home the other day. I rushed home to update facebook and twitter, went to the pub and took a photo of the first person I saw and said "Thats him" . After 32 likes and 200 follows on twitter I phoned for an Ambulance {as you do}. weall8leedscum
  • Score: 0

12:07pm Mon 4 Feb 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Well any Saints fan would not condone that kind of behaviour, it does sound a bit dubious though, but no smoke without fire and mud sticks, if anyone knows anything let the Police know, I doubt if they will take any action unless there is definite CCTV evidence. Have experienced several incidents of a similar nature and have always walked away from it. Except, a while ago at Coventry where several young thugs were stoning our coaches in a Coach Park, the numpties forgot that there were only two exits from their location and we blocked their way until the law turned up and detained all of them, I doubt they were punished but it was good to see their faces when they were rounded up.
Well any Saints fan would not condone that kind of behaviour, it does sound a bit dubious though, but no smoke without fire and mud sticks, if anyone knows anything let the Police know, I doubt if they will take any action unless there is definite CCTV evidence. Have experienced several incidents of a similar nature and have always walked away from it. Except, a while ago at Coventry where several young thugs were stoning our coaches in a Coach Park, the numpties forgot that there were only two exits from their location and we blocked their way until the law turned up and detained all of them, I doubt they were punished but it was good to see their faces when they were rounded up. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Mon 4 Feb 13

WECOMING4U says...

Apparently she has already had her "Andy Warhol" she was on Jeremy Kyle last week.!
Apparently she has already had her "Andy Warhol" she was on Jeremy Kyle last week.! WECOMING4U
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Mon 4 Feb 13

sarfhamton says...

More Anti-Saints stories by the Echo
More Anti-Saints stories by the Echo sarfhamton
  • Score: 0

1:07pm Mon 4 Feb 13

bigfella777 says...

A few stones ect, its hardly Egypt is it.
A few stones ect, its hardly Egypt is it. bigfella777
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Mon 4 Feb 13

IOAD says...

From the picture, it looks like SHE's kicking HIM!
From the picture, it looks like SHE's kicking HIM! IOAD
  • Score: 0

1:48pm Mon 4 Feb 13

gillyman says...

kingnotail wrote:
Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers
obviously not being a football fan leaves you with pent up aggression and a need to be abusive
[quote][p][bold]kingnotail[/bold] wrote: Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers[/p][/quote]obviously not being a football fan leaves you with pent up aggression and a need to be abusive gillyman
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Mon 4 Feb 13

shesaint says...

sarfhamton wrote:
More Anti-Saints stories by the Echo
Why is this the Echo being anti Saints?
It simply says that a woman has claimed that something happended and that police are looking at CCTV footage to see which fans were involved. It also quotes the police as having said there was some trouble cuased by a minority of fans on both sides. The article has reported the facts that they have so far. There is nothing anti Saints about it.
[quote][p][bold]sarfhamton[/bold] wrote: More Anti-Saints stories by the Echo[/p][/quote]Why is this the Echo being anti Saints? It simply says that a woman has claimed that something happended and that police are looking at CCTV footage to see which fans were involved. It also quotes the police as having said there was some trouble cuased by a minority of fans on both sides. The article has reported the facts that they have so far. There is nothing anti Saints about it. shesaint
  • Score: 0

4:59pm Mon 4 Feb 13

St Retford says...

IOAD wrote:
From the picture, it looks like SHE's kicking HIM!
Heh - very good!
[quote][p][bold]IOAD[/bold] wrote: From the picture, it looks like SHE's kicking HIM![/p][/quote]Heh - very good! St Retford
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Mon 4 Feb 13

mmmmm says...

What a ridiculous report, you should be ashamd Mel, very ashamed.
What a ridiculous report, you should be ashamd Mel, very ashamed. mmmmm
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Mon 4 Feb 13

mmmmm says...

What a ridiculous report, you should be ashamed Mel, very ashamed.
What a ridiculous report, you should be ashamed Mel, very ashamed. mmmmm
  • Score: 0

5:37pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Norwegian Saint says...

I did hear one guy say:
"THAT was a WOMAN"?!

"See the Poofew down the road are saying its typical of Saints... Maybe they should keep stumm or shall we bring up Poopey paedophiles and murderers from that sh'thole, chav, uneducated place"
I did hear one guy say: "THAT was a WOMAN"?! "See the Poofew down the road are saying its typical of Saints... Maybe they should keep stumm or shall we bring up Poopey paedophiles and murderers from that sh'thole, chav, uneducated place" Norwegian Saint
  • Score: 0

7:15pm Mon 4 Feb 13

J.P.M says...

This is disgusting - particularly when you consider all the hard work Chris Huhne has done to represent the values of the south.”
This is disgusting - particularly when you consider all the hard work Chris Huhne has done to represent the values of the south.” J.P.M
  • Score: 0

7:45pm Mon 4 Feb 13

redsnapper says...

The DE reaches new lows in their desperation to report something, anything which can be related to SFC.!

Now Bob Brunskell and the reporter before him used to have a great relation with the club, this current crop of DE scribblers have failed completely to nurture any positive vibes towards the club.

Poor show!
The DE reaches new lows in their desperation to report something, anything which can be related to SFC.! Now Bob Brunskell and the reporter before him used to have a great relation with the club, this current crop of DE scribblers have failed completely to nurture any positive vibes towards the club. Poor show! redsnapper
  • Score: 0

7:47pm Mon 4 Feb 13

noodlesnewman says...

kingnotail wrote:
Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers
And it takes a guttless faceless twxx like you to state that ! bet your a train spotter or something ...
[quote][p][bold]kingnotail[/bold] wrote: Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers[/p][/quote]And it takes a guttless faceless twxx like you to state that ! bet your a train spotter or something ... noodlesnewman
  • Score: 0

7:47pm Mon 4 Feb 13

J.P.M says...

redsnapper wrote:
The DE reaches new lows in their desperation to report something, anything which can be related to SFC.!

Now Bob Brunskell and the reporter before him used to have a great relation with the club, this current crop of DE scribblers have failed completely to nurture any positive vibes towards the club.

Poor show!
Why should they conspire to massage the terrible truth out of the headlines?
[quote][p][bold]redsnapper[/bold] wrote: The DE reaches new lows in their desperation to report something, anything which can be related to SFC.! Now Bob Brunskell and the reporter before him used to have a great relation with the club, this current crop of DE scribblers have failed completely to nurture any positive vibes towards the club. Poor show![/p][/quote]Why should they conspire to massage the terrible truth out of the headlines? J.P.M
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Mon 4 Feb 13

gemnicholson says...

I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.
I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one. gemnicholson
  • Score: 0

7:51pm Mon 4 Feb 13

noodlesnewman says...

gillyman wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers
obviously not being a football fan leaves you with pent up aggression and a need to be abusive
you should call yourself king no balls for that ,too much pent up aggression maybe you need a good wxxx, you wxxxxr.
[quote][p][bold]gillyman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kingnotail[/bold] wrote: Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers[/p][/quote]obviously not being a football fan leaves you with pent up aggression and a need to be abusive[/p][/quote]you should call yourself king no balls for that ,too much pent up aggression maybe you need a good wxxx, you wxxxxr. noodlesnewman
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Mon 4 Feb 13

J.P.M says...

noodlesnewman wrote:
gillyman wrote:
kingnotail wrote:
Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers
obviously not being a football fan leaves you with pent up aggression and a need to be abusive
you should call yourself king no balls for that ,too much pent up aggression maybe you need a good wxxx, you wxxxxr.
hanks for that in-depth analysis doctor. What is the prognosis for the future?
[quote][p][bold]noodlesnewman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gillyman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kingnotail[/bold] wrote: Doesn't matter what team, football fans are usually w**kers[/p][/quote]obviously not being a football fan leaves you with pent up aggression and a need to be abusive[/p][/quote]you should call yourself king no balls for that ,too much pent up aggression maybe you need a good wxxx, you wxxxxr.[/p][/quote]hanks for that in-depth analysis doctor. What is the prognosis for the future? J.P.M
  • Score: 0

7:58pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Fatty x Ford Worker says...

I ate 10 pasties and drank that local watered down brew no trouble at all apart from a bad guts on the way home!
I ate 10 pasties and drank that local watered down brew no trouble at all apart from a bad guts on the way home! Fatty x Ford Worker
  • Score: 0

8:07pm Mon 4 Feb 13

weall8leedscum says...

gemnicholson wrote:
I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.
Was your boyfriend with you then Gem?
[quote][p][bold]gemnicholson[/bold] wrote: I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.[/p][/quote]Was your boyfriend with you then Gem? weall8leedscum
  • Score: 0

8:16pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Fatty x Ford Worker says...

Fatty x Ford Worker wrote:
I ate 10 pasties and drank that local watered down brew no trouble at all apart from a bad guts on the way home!
Might of caught that Winter Pan Huey bug from up North of Watford then!
[quote][p][bold]Fatty x Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: I ate 10 pasties and drank that local watered down brew no trouble at all apart from a bad guts on the way home![/p][/quote]Might of caught that Winter Pan Huey bug from up North of Watford then! Fatty x Ford Worker
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Mon 4 Feb 13

One Heart....One Vision says...

I went to the game...and I saw absolutely no sign of trouble whatsoever before or after......I am 100% amazed to hear of such alledged reports?.

Our fans were a credit to our Club from what I saw on Saturday. We were their to enjoy the day not cause nuisance.

Another total non-story anti Saints story me thinks.

I'm just going to pop over to read the "Portsmouth News" for some supportive reporting instead.
I went to the game...and I saw absolutely no sign of trouble whatsoever before or after......I am 100% amazed to hear of such alledged reports?. Our fans were a credit to our Club from what I saw on Saturday. We were their to enjoy the day not cause nuisance. Another total non-story anti Saints story me thinks. I'm just going to pop over to read the "Portsmouth News" for some supportive reporting instead. One Heart....One Vision
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Mon 4 Feb 13

St John Smythe says...

I was there Gemma, didnt see you or anyone else get punched. Quite incredible that you claim that you were squished in by all these people yet the attacker managed to crack you one on the jaw and no one saw it or did anything. Just saying like...
I was there Gemma, didnt see you or anyone else get punched. Quite incredible that you claim that you were squished in by all these people yet the attacker managed to crack you one on the jaw and no one saw it or did anything. Just saying like... St John Smythe
  • Score: 0

9:18pm Mon 4 Feb 13

MGRA says...

gemnicholson wrote:
I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.
I do not think you are telling porkies but some people may think so because you publicised it on social media. Most people would have reported it straight to the police and quickly assembled a couple of witnesses. Assuming you were surrounded by Wigan fans someone is bound to have witnessed it and the fact no one came forward to act as a witness to assault is a bit strange. Still a bit strange maybe but not beyond the realms. Its is of course a disgrace that football fans would behave like this but as you well know every club has its knuckle-dragging morons. Its not wise to ever mix young kids with certain away supporters , I would not have assumed Saints were on that list, but if they are it is indeed a sad day.
[quote][p][bold]gemnicholson[/bold] wrote: I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.[/p][/quote]I do not think you are telling porkies but some people may think so because you publicised it on social media. Most people would have reported it straight to the police and quickly assembled a couple of witnesses. Assuming you were surrounded by Wigan fans someone is bound to have witnessed it and the fact no one came forward to act as a witness to assault is a bit strange. Still a bit strange maybe but not beyond the realms. Its is of course a disgrace that football fans would behave like this but as you well know every club has its knuckle-dragging morons. Its not wise to ever mix young kids with certain away supporters , I would not have assumed Saints were on that list, but if they are it is indeed a sad day. MGRA
  • Score: 0

10:10pm Mon 4 Feb 13

redsnapper says...

Taking a 3 yr old to watch Wigan is not exactly the brightest thing to do. And getting tangled up in a crowd with a 3 yr old defies common sense.

There is something about this story which shrieks of attention seeking,
Taking a 3 yr old to watch Wigan is not exactly the brightest thing to do. And getting tangled up in a crowd with a 3 yr old defies common sense. There is something about this story which shrieks of attention seeking, redsnapper
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Spirit of 58 says...

J.P.M wrote:
This is disgusting - particularly when you consider all the hard work Chris Huhne has done to represent the values of the south.”
Don't worry Chris 'Not my car guv' Hoone will soon be back in the corridors - see D Laws - always a return trip for the rogue
[quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: This is disgusting - particularly when you consider all the hard work Chris Huhne has done to represent the values of the south.”[/p][/quote]Don't worry Chris 'Not my car guv' Hoone will soon be back in the corridors - see D Laws - always a return trip for the rogue Spirit of 58
  • Score: 0

10:23pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Peoples Choice says...

Gemma its getting more and more desperate!! I posted yesterday you couldnt have taken the phots, had no reply and now a saints fan gave it to you?? Your story has more holes than a sieve and Im pretty sure if a woman got hit as you are accusing, a bit more would have happened than a couple of 10 pence pieces and balls of mucus being dropped by your angelic supporters on those below!! Coupled with the amazing 'my two year old had nettles pushed in her face' another Wigan follower has claimed, theres more more holes in your stories up there than a sieve! Bet you all claimed you were victims of Jimmy when you saw a bit of publicity there n'all!!!!! How is that boyfriend of yours who went on the rampage apparently in front of his stepdaughter/daughte
r ( delete as appropriate) and just when are you and your friend coming to Southampton for 'Round 2 to kill someone'??? Saints fans, do not believe the tripe this girl is putting around and more fool you Echo for running a story on a Twitter rumour!!! I see the reporter is a Health Reporter, maybe she should stick to writing about ghonnorhea or something, or maybe diahorrea, as like this story, its a load of s**t!!!
Gemma its getting more and more desperate!! I posted yesterday you couldnt have taken the phots, had no reply and now a saints fan gave it to you?? Your story has more holes than a sieve and Im pretty sure if a woman got hit as you are accusing, a bit more would have happened than a couple of 10 pence pieces and balls of mucus being dropped by your angelic supporters on those below!! Coupled with the amazing 'my two year old had nettles pushed in her face' another Wigan follower has claimed, theres more more holes in your stories up there than a sieve! Bet you all claimed you were victims of Jimmy when you saw a bit of publicity there n'all!!!!! How is that boyfriend of yours who went on the rampage apparently in front of his stepdaughter/daughte r ( delete as appropriate) and just when are you and your friend coming to Southampton for 'Round 2 to kill someone'??? Saints fans, do not believe the tripe this girl is putting around and more fool you Echo for running a story on a Twitter rumour!!! I see the reporter is a Health Reporter, maybe she should stick to writing about ghonnorhea or something, or maybe diahorrea, as like this story, its a load of s**t!!! Peoples Choice
  • Score: 0

10:36pm Mon 4 Feb 13

loyal saint says...

For clarity i was not there on Saturday but do attend at least two away games each season so have a good idea of the type of fan that follows Saints. As with every club the vast majority go and support their team and have a good day but there is a very small minority that let the club down. This point is even acknowledged by the club as each home programme refers to the behaviour of such fans that are tarnishing our reputation.Those guys am i takling about are generally late teens / early twenties giving it large to the home crowd whilst in numbers but would they do that on a one to one basis!


Having said that i do think taking a 3 year old to football is foolish as for one the child will not appreciate the game and to publicise on social media does suggest an element of media attention and five minutes of fame.

Having watched England across Europe on more than 20 occasions you get a good idea of those potentially looking for trouble and stay well away from them.

This is a tiny minority i am talking about (20-30) out of 2000 or so at every away game but lets not delude ourselves that we are perfect! The sad thing is that we are talking about this story rather than the fantastic support the fans give the team week in week out.
For clarity i was not there on Saturday but do attend at least two away games each season so have a good idea of the type of fan that follows Saints. As with every club the vast majority go and support their team and have a good day but there is a very small minority that let the club down. This point is even acknowledged by the club as each home programme refers to the behaviour of such fans that are tarnishing our reputation.Those guys am i takling about are generally late teens / early twenties giving it large to the home crowd whilst in numbers but would they do that on a one to one basis! Having said that i do think taking a 3 year old to football is foolish as for one the child will not appreciate the game and to publicise on social media does suggest an element of media attention and five minutes of fame. Having watched England across Europe on more than 20 occasions you get a good idea of those potentially looking for trouble and stay well away from them. This is a tiny minority i am talking about (20-30) out of 2000 or so at every away game but lets not delude ourselves that we are perfect! The sad thing is that we are talking about this story rather than the fantastic support the fans give the team week in week out. loyal saint
  • Score: 0

10:44pm Mon 4 Feb 13

MGRA says...

loyal saint wrote:
For clarity i was not there on Saturday but do attend at least two away games each season so have a good idea of the type of fan that follows Saints. As with every club the vast majority go and support their team and have a good day but there is a very small minority that let the club down. This point is even acknowledged by the club as each home programme refers to the behaviour of such fans that are tarnishing our reputation.Those guys am i takling about are generally late teens / early twenties giving it large to the home crowd whilst in numbers but would they do that on a one to one basis!


Having said that i do think taking a 3 year old to football is foolish as for one the child will not appreciate the game and to publicise on social media does suggest an element of media attention and five minutes of fame.

Having watched England across Europe on more than 20 occasions you get a good idea of those potentially looking for trouble and stay well away from them.

This is a tiny minority i am talking about (20-30) out of 2000 or so at every away game but lets not delude ourselves that we are perfect! The sad thing is that we are talking about this story rather than the fantastic support the fans give the team week in week out.
In the past I have known three Southampton "fans" who have since been convicted for football violence. One was a banker, one a recruitment consultant and the other a senior office administrator.... All professionals, all very intelligent ( irony ) but all thugs and organised thugs. To be honest I was surprised, my image of football morons was chavy casuals who could not hold their ale....
[quote][p][bold]loyal saint[/bold] wrote: For clarity i was not there on Saturday but do attend at least two away games each season so have a good idea of the type of fan that follows Saints. As with every club the vast majority go and support their team and have a good day but there is a very small minority that let the club down. This point is even acknowledged by the club as each home programme refers to the behaviour of such fans that are tarnishing our reputation.Those guys am i takling about are generally late teens / early twenties giving it large to the home crowd whilst in numbers but would they do that on a one to one basis! Having said that i do think taking a 3 year old to football is foolish as for one the child will not appreciate the game and to publicise on social media does suggest an element of media attention and five minutes of fame. Having watched England across Europe on more than 20 occasions you get a good idea of those potentially looking for trouble and stay well away from them. This is a tiny minority i am talking about (20-30) out of 2000 or so at every away game but lets not delude ourselves that we are perfect! The sad thing is that we are talking about this story rather than the fantastic support the fans give the team week in week out.[/p][/quote]In the past I have known three Southampton "fans" who have since been convicted for football violence. One was a banker, one a recruitment consultant and the other a senior office administrator.... All professionals, all very intelligent ( irony ) but all thugs and organised thugs. To be honest I was surprised, my image of football morons was chavy casuals who could not hold their ale.... MGRA
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Mon 4 Feb 13

Linesman says...

If anyone knows the name of this yob, they should inform the police.

This reflects on the club, and if you value the club's good name, then you know what to do.

If I knew, I would not hesitate.

A person who would do this, could well do the same to your wife or sister.
If anyone knows the name of this yob, they should inform the police. This reflects on the club, and if you value the club's good name, then you know what to do. If I knew, I would not hesitate. A person who would do this, could well do the same to your wife or sister. Linesman
  • Score: 0

11:26pm Mon 4 Feb 13

SaintsBTGOG says...

All in the detail !

The girl says she was surrounded by tall people and 'squished' and a arm accidentally hits her. The person would have been totally unaware she was there.


In her own words.


Never said anything to the police at the time and then gets all mouthy on the internet.
All in the detail ! The girl says she was surrounded by tall people and 'squished' and a arm accidentally hits her. The person would have been totally unaware she was there. In her own words. Never said anything to the police at the time and then gets all mouthy on the internet. SaintsBTGOG
  • Score: 0

11:31pm Mon 4 Feb 13

weall8leedscum says...

Linesman wrote:
If anyone knows the name of this yob, they should inform the police.

This reflects on the club, and if you value the club's good name, then you know what to do.

If I knew, I would not hesitate.

A person who would do this, could well do the same to your wife or sister.
I think his name was "Linesman".

It must be true as its on Twitter.

Who should I ring?
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: If anyone knows the name of this yob, they should inform the police. This reflects on the club, and if you value the club's good name, then you know what to do. If I knew, I would not hesitate. A person who would do this, could well do the same to your wife or sister.[/p][/quote]I think his name was "Linesman". It must be true as its on Twitter. Who should I ring? weall8leedscum
  • Score: 0

11:35pm Mon 4 Feb 13

WECOMING4U says...

It was obviously a sh*t Punch ? He sh*ts when he wants, Jason Pucheon......
It was obviously a sh*t Punch ? He sh*ts when he wants, Jason Pucheon...... WECOMING4U
  • Score: 0

12:18am Tue 5 Feb 13

saintysaintsaint says...

gemnicholson wrote:
I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.
Who let you out of the kitchen?
[quote][p][bold]gemnicholson[/bold] wrote: I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.[/p][/quote]Who let you out of the kitchen? saintysaintsaint
  • Score: 0

1:26am Tue 5 Feb 13

WECOMING4U says...

saintysaintsaint wrote:
gemnicholson wrote: I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.
Who let you out of the kitchen?
"slighly made up", there we are I cracked the case?
[quote][p][bold]saintysaintsaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gemnicholson[/bold] wrote: I am absolutely shocked and appauled that anyone would even start to think that any of these accusations i have made could even be slighly made up. The matter of the fact is, none of you were there or witnessed this, I was there and I was the one who had the effects of this, as well as my daughter. This has got totally out of hand now, all I did was make a comment on twitter regarding being hit, which was a fact as I was hit. The next day I woke up to over 50 tweets from southampton and other fans apologising on behalf of Saints. Your right, at first I didnt report this, because I ran away and got my child safely in my car and then home and to bed, reporting this didnt cross my mind as I said on one status ' theyll be half way back to southampton by now theres no point'. I did not think that this would cause such publicisty, and definately did not think I would come across a picture of the person to blame - which i must add - I DID NOT TAKE. This picture was found on a fellow saints FC twitter page, and was a picture of the fans BEFORE the game. This matter is in the hands of the police now and CCTV has been reviewed, but there is no cameras on the actual bridge and therefore I 99% doubt anyone could even see the incedent on any of the cameras, especially as it happened whilst I was squished up against many other larger and taller people. Comment all you want, but at the end of the day all I care about is the fact myself and my daughter are ok now and that she is not put off returning to the stadium she has been attending with me since the age of one.[/p][/quote]Who let you out of the kitchen?[/p][/quote]"slighly made up", there we are I cracked the case? WECOMING4U
  • Score: 0

8:35am Tue 5 Feb 13

steps says...

Accidently elbowed or knocked in the face while being squished n towered over?? Or are we to believe this smaller than average lady with a small child took a deliberate punch to the face wasnt knocked out n trampled, and fellow supporters at the scene didnt cause ww3??
And if mother was squished n towered was the 3 yr old undetectable swamped amongst knees of intoxicated excited rowdy punch happy supporters?? To b fair imo even without violence the noise hustle n bustle is too much for a 3 yr old
Accidently elbowed or knocked in the face while being squished n towered over?? Or are we to believe this smaller than average lady with a small child took a deliberate punch to the face wasnt knocked out n trampled, and fellow supporters at the scene didnt cause ww3?? And if mother was squished n towered was the 3 yr old undetectable swamped amongst knees of intoxicated excited rowdy punch happy supporters?? To b fair imo even without violence the noise hustle n bustle is too much for a 3 yr old steps
  • Score: 0

9:47am Tue 5 Feb 13

Folkestone Saint says...

Sound like someone getting their fags out of their pocket and she was too close so caught one on the chin, as for taking her daughter to games since she was one I would keep quiet about that as the noise alone at games could damage her hearing, still she can always blame someone else when things go wrong
Sound like someone getting their fags out of their pocket and she was too close so caught one on the chin, as for taking her daughter to games since she was one I would keep quiet about that as the noise alone at games could damage her hearing, still she can always blame someone else when things go wrong Folkestone Saint
  • Score: 0

10:24am Tue 5 Feb 13

Linesman says...

weall8leedscum wrote:
Linesman wrote:
If anyone knows the name of this yob, they should inform the police.

This reflects on the club, and if you value the club's good name, then you know what to do.

If I knew, I would not hesitate.

A person who would do this, could well do the same to your wife or sister.
I think his name was "Linesman".

It must be true as its on Twitter.

Who should I ring?
I would suggest you ring your psychiatrist, as you are obviously in need of help.
[quote][p][bold]weall8leedscum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: If anyone knows the name of this yob, they should inform the police. This reflects on the club, and if you value the club's good name, then you know what to do. If I knew, I would not hesitate. A person who would do this, could well do the same to your wife or sister.[/p][/quote]I think his name was "Linesman". It must be true as its on Twitter. Who should I ring?[/p][/quote]I would suggest you ring your psychiatrist, as you are obviously in need of help. Linesman
  • Score: 0

12:24pm Tue 5 Feb 13

SO50 Saint says...

I went in the other direction back to the Red Robin pub was this bridge much like the one at the back of the Northam Stand coz if it was then it really is a squeeze getting through there
I went in the other direction back to the Red Robin pub was this bridge much like the one at the back of the Northam Stand coz if it was then it really is a squeeze getting through there SO50 Saint
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Tue 5 Feb 13

J.P.M says...

Just like the nazis deny the hollycost, there are too many people on here who are protesting TOOO MUCH.


ANIMALS!!
Just like the nazis deny the hollycost, there are too many people on here who are protesting TOOO MUCH. ANIMALS!! J.P.M
  • Score: 0

9:58pm Wed 6 Feb 13

Folkestone Saint says...

J.P.M wrote:
Just like the nazis deny the hollycost, there are too many people on here who are protesting TOOO MUCH.


ANIMALS!!
Why did the nazis over-price holly and how much did holly cost, was it to pay for the holocaust.
[quote][p][bold]J.P.M[/bold] wrote: Just like the nazis deny the hollycost, there are too many people on here who are protesting TOOO MUCH. ANIMALS!![/p][/quote]Why did the nazis over-price holly and how much did holly cost, was it to pay for the holocaust. Folkestone Saint
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree