When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Gentle giant had never been allergic
11:10am Tuesday 5th February 2013 in News
PEANUTS caused the death of a Hampshire man who suddenly developed a fatal allergy.
Southampton Coroner's Court heard how “gentle giant” John Wild died on Christmas Eve last year after he had gone to Walhampton golf course, where he had worked alongside his brother Graham.
Later that day he fell ill after eating peanuts.
When paramedics arrived, the 29-year-old, who had never suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts before, had died.
Southampton General Hospital pathologist Dr Adrian Bateman agreed with Mr Wild’s parents that it was strange he had not suffered a reaction before, despite eating peanuts all his life.
Coroner Keith Wiseman recorded a verdict of accidental death.