Families take legal action as inquiry is launched after pair plunge 40ft from flats

Daily Echo: Families take legal action as inquiry is launched after pair plunge 40ft from flats Families take legal action as inquiry is launched after pair plunge 40ft from flats

An investigation has been launched into how two men plunged 40ft from a new block of flats in Hampshire.

The inquiry by the health and ssafety executive comes as the families of the two men consider legal action following the incident in Totton.

A major house builder has now taken action at a number of its developments across the region following the incident.

For the full story click here.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:48pm Mon 11 Feb 13

elvisimo says...

disgusting. Someone should sue them. Scumbags having a punch up in a communal hall - got their just deserts.
disgusting. Someone should sue them. Scumbags having a punch up in a communal hall - got their just deserts. elvisimo

3:55pm Mon 11 Feb 13

shirley-bill says...

LINDEN HOMES are now fitting rails to all fire windows and with in the next 4 to 6 weeks will be re-placing all fire windows on every block they have built in the last 10 years .
LINDEN HOMES are now fitting rails to all fire windows and with in the next 4 to 6 weeks will be re-placing all fire windows on every block they have built in the last 10 years . shirley-bill

4:11pm Mon 11 Feb 13

Redondo Saint says...

Where is the other half to this story?
Two men fighting and both smash through a window.

What happended with personal responsibility?

The father is a bad joke.
Where is the other half to this story? Two men fighting and both smash through a window. What happended with personal responsibility? The father is a bad joke. Redondo Saint

5:40pm Mon 11 Feb 13

CharlieOxbridge says...

health & ssssssssafety...
health & ssssssssafety... CharlieOxbridge

6:14pm Mon 11 Feb 13

cliffwalker says...

What legal action are the families considering?
What legal action are the families considering? cliffwalker

7:38pm Mon 11 Feb 13

userds5050 says...

No, they were hugging not fighting.
No, they were hugging not fighting. userds5050

7:50pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justmyopion says...

elvisimo wrote:
disgusting. Someone should sue them. Scumbags having a punch up in a communal hall - got their just deserts.
u know sweet FA pal they where not fighting so get your facts right one nearly died but hey u don't care do u about that only to put stupid comments on do me a favour shut up
[quote][p][bold]elvisimo[/bold] wrote: disgusting. Someone should sue them. Scumbags having a punch up in a communal hall - got their just deserts.[/p][/quote]u know sweet FA pal they where not fighting so get your facts right one nearly died but hey u don't care do u about that only to put stupid comments on do me a favour shut up justmyopion

7:51pm Mon 11 Feb 13

Forest Resident says...

userds5050 wrote:
No, they were hugging not fighting.
Of course they were, every day people are falling through windows after exchanging hugs in stairwells. Or were the numerous residents reporting a fight (as per the original news article) simply confusing fighting with hugging? If it looks like a dody compensation claim, smells like a dodgy compensation claim you can be **** sure the courts will recognise that its a dodgy compensation claim!
[quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: No, they were hugging not fighting.[/p][/quote]Of course they were, every day people are falling through windows after exchanging hugs in stairwells. Or were the numerous residents reporting a fight (as per the original news article) simply confusing fighting with hugging? If it looks like a dody compensation claim, smells like a dodgy compensation claim you can be **** sure the courts will recognise that its a dodgy compensation claim! Forest Resident

7:52pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justmyopion says...

Redondo Saint wrote:
Where is the other half to this story?
Two men fighting and both smash through a window.

What happended with personal responsibility?

The father is a bad joke.
they where not fighting do u believe everything u read oh u must get a life
[quote][p][bold]Redondo Saint[/bold] wrote: Where is the other half to this story? Two men fighting and both smash through a window. What happended with personal responsibility? The father is a bad joke.[/p][/quote]they where not fighting do u believe everything u read oh u must get a life justmyopion

7:53pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justmyopion says...

I think that u all are forgetting one thing the windows where fitted incorrectly by the builder that is a cause for legal action and don't forget one man nearly lost his life don't forget that either !!!!!!
I think that u all are forgetting one thing the windows where fitted incorrectly by the builder that is a cause for legal action and don't forget one man nearly lost his life don't forget that either !!!!!! justmyopion

7:55pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justmyopion says...

Forest Resident wrote:
userds5050 wrote:
No, they were hugging not fighting.
Of course they were, every day people are falling through windows after exchanging hugs in stairwells. Or were the numerous residents reporting a fight (as per the original news article) simply confusing fighting with hugging? If it looks like a dody compensation claim, smells like a dodgy compensation claim you can be **** sure the courts will recognise that its a dodgy compensation claim!
the original article was wrong do believe everything u read !!
[quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: No, they were hugging not fighting.[/p][/quote]Of course they were, every day people are falling through windows after exchanging hugs in stairwells. Or were the numerous residents reporting a fight (as per the original news article) simply confusing fighting with hugging? If it looks like a dody compensation claim, smells like a dodgy compensation claim you can be **** sure the courts will recognise that its a dodgy compensation claim![/p][/quote]the original article was wrong do believe everything u read !! justmyopion

7:56pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justmyopion says...

enough said now on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enough said now on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! justmyopion

7:57pm Mon 11 Feb 13

IronLady2010 says...

If the housebuilder have stated they are going to replace the windows with a more secure window, they are virtually admitting liability in the eyes of the Court. If the windows were safe there would be no need to change them.
If the housebuilder have stated they are going to replace the windows with a more secure window, they are virtually admitting liability in the eyes of the Court. If the windows were safe there would be no need to change them. IronLady2010

8:01pm Mon 11 Feb 13

Forest Resident says...

justmyopion wrote:
Forest Resident wrote:
userds5050 wrote:
No, they were hugging not fighting.
Of course they were, every day people are falling through windows after exchanging hugs in stairwells. Or were the numerous residents reporting a fight (as per the original news article) simply confusing fighting with hugging? If it looks like a dody compensation claim, smells like a dodgy compensation claim you can be **** sure the courts will recognise that its a dodgy compensation claim!
the original article was wrong do believe everything u read !!
I'm sure the insurance investigators will speak to every resident to verify their originals accounts fully. Besides, everyone is entitled to their opinion here, but please don't think your clearly biased point of view is any more reliable than that of the original news article.
[quote][p][bold]justmyopion[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: No, they were hugging not fighting.[/p][/quote]Of course they were, every day people are falling through windows after exchanging hugs in stairwells. Or were the numerous residents reporting a fight (as per the original news article) simply confusing fighting with hugging? If it looks like a dody compensation claim, smells like a dodgy compensation claim you can be **** sure the courts will recognise that its a dodgy compensation claim![/p][/quote]the original article was wrong do believe everything u read !![/p][/quote]I'm sure the insurance investigators will speak to every resident to verify their originals accounts fully. Besides, everyone is entitled to their opinion here, but please don't think your clearly biased point of view is any more reliable than that of the original news article. Forest Resident

8:44pm Mon 11 Feb 13

shirley-bill says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
If the housebuilder have stated they are going to replace the windows with a more secure window, they are virtually admitting liability in the eyes of the Court. If the windows were safe there would be no need to change them.
lindens started re-placing window last week on 5 others blocks for flat in Southampton
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: If the housebuilder have stated they are going to replace the windows with a more secure window, they are virtually admitting liability in the eyes of the Court. If the windows were safe there would be no need to change them.[/p][/quote]lindens started re-placing window last week on 5 others blocks for flat in Southampton shirley-bill

9:24pm Mon 11 Feb 13

solomum says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
If the housebuilder have stated they are going to replace the windows with a more secure window, they are virtually admitting liability in the eyes of the Court. If the windows were safe there would be no need to change them.
I understand that Linden have accepted the windows were faulty which is why they are being replaced. It is unusual for a couple of people hugging to fall against a window. There appears to be numerous claims that they were fighting by other residents, but I am sure the truth will come out. I imagine alcohol was in some way involved which would put more onus on the guys involved. I am only guessing here though as I do not know the facts of what happened. The main thing is that the guys fully recover.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: If the housebuilder have stated they are going to replace the windows with a more secure window, they are virtually admitting liability in the eyes of the Court. If the windows were safe there would be no need to change them.[/p][/quote]I understand that Linden have accepted the windows were faulty which is why they are being replaced. It is unusual for a couple of people hugging to fall against a window. There appears to be numerous claims that they were fighting by other residents, but I am sure the truth will come out. I imagine alcohol was in some way involved which would put more onus on the guys involved. I am only guessing here though as I do not know the facts of what happened. The main thing is that the guys fully recover. solomum

9:54pm Mon 11 Feb 13

elvisimo says...

justmyopion wrote:
elvisimo wrote:
disgusting. Someone should sue them. Scumbags having a punch up in a communal hall - got their just deserts.
u know sweet FA pal they where not fighting so get your facts right one nearly died but hey u don't care do u about that only to put stupid comments on do me a favour shut up
Fortunately, I'm not you "pal" and I'm quite capable of reading the reports on this story at the time. There are consequences to people's actions as these two have discovered.
[quote][p][bold]justmyopion[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elvisimo[/bold] wrote: disgusting. Someone should sue them. Scumbags having a punch up in a communal hall - got their just deserts.[/p][/quote]u know sweet FA pal they where not fighting so get your facts right one nearly died but hey u don't care do u about that only to put stupid comments on do me a favour shut up[/p][/quote]Fortunately, I'm not you "pal" and I'm quite capable of reading the reports on this story at the time. There are consequences to people's actions as these two have discovered. elvisimo

8:51am Tue 12 Feb 13

Big Mac says...

Falling through a window – seems like an open and shut case.
Falling through a window – seems like an open and shut case. Big Mac

9:52am Tue 12 Feb 13

S!monOn says...

justmyopion wrote:
Redondo Saint wrote:
Where is the other half to this story?
Two men fighting and both smash through a window.

What happended with personal responsibility?

The father is a bad joke.
they where not fighting do u believe everything u read oh u must get a life
They were expressing their love for each other against the window when it gave way?
[quote][p][bold]justmyopion[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Redondo Saint[/bold] wrote: Where is the other half to this story? Two men fighting and both smash through a window. What happended with personal responsibility? The father is a bad joke.[/p][/quote]they where not fighting do u believe everything u read oh u must get a life[/p][/quote]They were expressing their love for each other against the window when it gave way? S!monOn

10:32am Tue 12 Feb 13

WILTS09 says...

i work for a similar house builder and actually i am disgusted by the lack of knowledge you people percieve. those windows being at that height should be able to withstand a hell of a lot more than two lads neither of them overly large falling into them at any impact. it is obvious that the families have been through a lot and i would like to assume that they are going to push this to prevent it happening again not for a 'pay out' as some of you may see it. Just shows what sort of community we live in for people to jump to such conclusions other than peoples safety. imagine if it was one of your family?
i work for a similar house builder and actually i am disgusted by the lack of knowledge you people percieve. those windows being at that height should be able to withstand a hell of a lot more than two lads neither of them overly large falling into them at any impact. it is obvious that the families have been through a lot and i would like to assume that they are going to push this to prevent it happening again not for a 'pay out' as some of you may see it. Just shows what sort of community we live in for people to jump to such conclusions other than peoples safety. imagine if it was one of your family? WILTS09

11:36am Tue 12 Feb 13

espanuel says...

WILTS09. Well said.
WILTS09. Well said. espanuel

12:04pm Tue 12 Feb 13

draward says...

"They were expressing their love for each other against the window when it gave way?”

Just 2 crafty butchers, taking the meat round the back! No fighting in that...
"They were expressing their love for each other against the window when it gave way?” Just 2 crafty butchers, taking the meat round the back! No fighting in that... draward

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree