When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Prime Minister David Cameron joins by-election campaign for Conservatives
8:15am Thursday 14th February 2013 in News
The Prime Minister will host a ‘Cameron Direct ’ event in the constituency, allowing voters to quiz him personally on the issues that will decide the contest.
T h e appearance rips up the rule book that says Prime Ministers do not campaign personally in by-elections – underlining the crucial importance of the Eastleigh poll.
Exact details of when and where the Prime Minister is visiting Eastleigh is being kept under wraps.
During Prime Minister’s questions in the Commons, he told fellow Tory MPs: “I hope all my honourable friends will join me on the campaign trail in Eastleigh.
“What I would say to people in Eastleigh is that if they want a straighttalking candidate who does exactly what it says on the tin, Maria Hutchings is a local mum and a fantastic campaigner – and she would make a great member of parliament.”
- Liberal Democrat Mike Thornton is new Eastleigh MP
- Clegg hails Lib Dem win in Eastleigh
- New Eastleigh MP's pledge to voters
- I'm overwhelmed by victory, says MPs wife
- Full list of Eastleigh by-election results
- Defeated Tory candidate made a swift exit
- Mike's night but UKIP almost took centre stage
- Lib Dem Mike Thornton is Eastleigh's new MP
- Fed up the election - this homeowner certainly is!
- By-election hopefuls call in the big guns
- Ashdown and Balls in Eastleigh to impress voters
- Eastleigh too close to call