DAvid Cameron defends Maria Hutchings for pulling out of hustings

Maria Hutchings and David Cameron yesterday

Maria Hutchings and David Cameron yesterday

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

DAVID Cameron was forced to defend Tory candidate Maria Hutchings after she came under fire for pulling out of a by-election debate.

Mrs Hutchings had been due to attend the BBC 5Live event in Eastleigh yesterday morning, but cancelled her appearance in order to visit Prysmian Cables and Systems alongside the Prime Minister.

The Conservative duo faced a barrage of questions from the media following Mr Cameron’s meeting with staff.

But the Tory leader defended Mrs Hutchings’ decision.

Mr Cameron said: “Maria has been doing hustings up and down the constituency.

“She wanted to be with me at a very important meeting at a business that is the beating heart of Eastleigh, employing hundreds of people.

“The substance of the issue is Maria is the best candidate for Eastleigh.”

Mrs Hutchings said: “I had the huge privilege of the Prime Minister visiting this company, which is a hi-tech company that is incredibly important for Eastleigh.

“I needed to be here in order to prepare and speak to the people in this business.

“I couldn’t be in two places at once.”

But Mrs Hutchings’ fellow by-election candidates hit out at her controversial decision.

Liberal Democrat hopeful Mike Thornton said: “I’m absolutely astounded that the week before polling day any candidate would pass up the opportunity to speak to residents.

For me, that sums up the state of the Conservative campaign.

“Mrs Hutchings says that the two events clashed but she could easily have attended both.”

Labour candidate John O’Farrell said: “It is incredibly arrogant of David Cameron to say that it’s the candidates who are the most important thing in the byelection.

“The most important thing in this by-election is the voters.

They deserve better than a choice of a Tory who’s had to be gagged or another Lib Dem who says one thing and does another.”

The row broke out after Mr Cameron’s second visit to the constituency in the space of just eight days.

Fresh from a visit to India, the PM returned to Eastleigh after talking to 800 B&Q workers last Thursday.

Yesterday he held a similar Cameron Direct session with about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems – the same firm that welcomed the Tory leader’s right hand man George Osborne last week.

His latest appearance came less than 24 hours after Mayor of London Boris Johnson hit the streets of Fair Oak to canvas voters alongside Mrs Hutchings.

Speaking to the Daily Echo after his public grilling, Mr Cameron revealed that he had brought some positive news back from India – where he was joined by University of Southampton vice-chancellor Professor Don Nutbeam – to help kick-start the Hampshire economy.

The Prime Minister said: “One of the key features of the Hampshire economy that was on the trip was Southampton University, who are very enthusiastic about making sure that we attract bright students to Southampton, making sure Southampton teams up with other universities around the world.

“We should see our universities as growth engines and I think Southampton can be exactly that.

“Also there were very good deals right across the board in terms of defence, automotive, oil and gas and there are many Hampshire businesses in supply chains for those companies that will benefit.”

Asked whether his second visit to the constituency was a sign of Tory nerves over Thursday’s byelection, Mr Cameron said: “It’s a sign of how much I back Maria.

“I’m always a believer that if there’s a political fight going on you throw yourself into it.

“We have a great candidate, we are running a great campaign and we are all pitching in for a great result.

“We are fighting to win it. We’ve got a winning candidate, a winning team, a winning campaign and we are throwing everything we can at it.”

Moments later, Mr Cameron was gone, hustled out of the back door by his entourage – but not before another mention of Britain’s standing in the “global race”. But it was clear that the Prime Minister currently has a very different race at the forefront of his mind – and the allimportant finishing line is now just six days away.

Eastleigh by-election headlines

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:21pm Fri 22 Feb 13

southy says...

She pulled out because the Torys did not want to be face with TUSC proving they policys are wrong and Right wing policy are not for the majority only for the few.
Any Hustings that the TUSC are invited to, if the candidate can not make it then a representive will fill in them.
All Right Wing Partys and there supporters are scared of the TUSC because they are a party for the majority, that is made by the people, run by the people for the people.
The TUSC as policys that create large amounts of jobs, offers the people the vote on the EU, will cut MP's and Lord's wages by half and not allow expenses claims, return the finance restrictions, all the right policys that are best suited for the majority and never for the few, and policys that will get the economy moving again.
If we lead the way the rest of the world will follow in time, and this is one of the biggest fears to big corporations.
She pulled out because the Torys did not want to be face with TUSC proving they policys are wrong and Right wing policy are not for the majority only for the few. Any Hustings that the TUSC are invited to, if the candidate can not make it then a representive will fill in them. All Right Wing Partys and there supporters are scared of the TUSC because they are a party for the majority, that is made by the people, run by the people for the people. The TUSC as policys that create large amounts of jobs, offers the people the vote on the EU, will cut MP's and Lord's wages by half and not allow expenses claims, return the finance restrictions, all the right policys that are best suited for the majority and never for the few, and policys that will get the economy moving again. If we lead the way the rest of the world will follow in time, and this is one of the biggest fears to big corporations. southy
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Fri 22 Feb 13

George4th says...

The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show! George4th
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Linesman says...

George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
WRONG!

The BBC contacted the parties, and Hutchings agreed to attend.

She pulled out the day before the event, because she had to meet up with Dodgy Dave, but that meeting was scheduled for well after the radio programme ended, and would have given her ample time to make the othe appointment.

The 'Arranged visit to a local employer' would NOT have clashed with the Radio programme.

Everyone else was prepared to honour the commitment that they had made, but not her.
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]WRONG! The BBC contacted the parties, and Hutchings agreed to attend. She pulled out the day before the event, because she had to meet up with Dodgy Dave, but that meeting was scheduled for well after the radio programme ended, and would have given her ample time to make the othe appointment. The 'Arranged visit to a local employer' would NOT have clashed with the Radio programme. Everyone else was prepared to honour the commitment that they had made, but not her. Linesman
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Fri 22 Feb 13

southy says...

George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
No not a screw up, just not willing to attend, if you can't make it when an invite comes, then you send a representive, the Torys failed to do that even.
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]No not a screw up, just not willing to attend, if you can't make it when an invite comes, then you send a representive, the Torys failed to do that even. southy
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Fri 22 Feb 13

southy says...

Linesman wrote:
George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
WRONG!

The BBC contacted the parties, and Hutchings agreed to attend.

She pulled out the day before the event, because she had to meet up with Dodgy Dave, but that meeting was scheduled for well after the radio programme ended, and would have given her ample time to make the othe appointment.

The 'Arranged visit to a local employer' would NOT have clashed with the Radio programme.

Everyone else was prepared to honour the commitment that they had made, but not her.
Also it was live on the Radio before Dodgy Dave meeting, it started at 7-30 am, just that Hutchings was to lazy to get out of bed.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]WRONG! The BBC contacted the parties, and Hutchings agreed to attend. She pulled out the day before the event, because she had to meet up with Dodgy Dave, but that meeting was scheduled for well after the radio programme ended, and would have given her ample time to make the othe appointment. The 'Arranged visit to a local employer' would NOT have clashed with the Radio programme. Everyone else was prepared to honour the commitment that they had made, but not her.[/p][/quote]Also it was live on the Radio before Dodgy Dave meeting, it started at 7-30 am, just that Hutchings was to lazy to get out of bed. southy
  • Score: 0

1:48pm Fri 22 Feb 13

George4th says...

Linesman wrote:
George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
WRONG!

The BBC contacted the parties, and Hutchings agreed to attend.

She pulled out the day before the event, because she had to meet up with Dodgy Dave, but that meeting was scheduled for well after the radio programme ended, and would have given her ample time to make the othe appointment.

The 'Arranged visit to a local employer' would NOT have clashed with the Radio programme.

Everyone else was prepared to honour the commitment that they had made, but not her.
Have it your way...........

>
As I said, far better to attend a valued local Eastleigh employer to meet with 300 staff rather than have the "possibilty" of a few minutes on a local Radio show!
Makes perfect sense to someone who lives in the area and is steeped in the local community through living there.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]WRONG! The BBC contacted the parties, and Hutchings agreed to attend. She pulled out the day before the event, because she had to meet up with Dodgy Dave, but that meeting was scheduled for well after the radio programme ended, and would have given her ample time to make the othe appointment. The 'Arranged visit to a local employer' would NOT have clashed with the Radio programme. Everyone else was prepared to honour the commitment that they had made, but not her.[/p][/quote]Have it your way........... > As I said, far better to attend a valued local Eastleigh employer to meet with 300 staff rather than have the "possibilty" of a few minutes on a local Radio show! Makes perfect sense to someone who lives in the area and is steeped in the local community through living there. George4th
  • Score: 0

1:49pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Linesman says...

southy wrote:
George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
No not a screw up, just not willing to attend, if you can't make it when an invite comes, then you send a representive, the Torys failed to do that even.
I think you are wrong on that one Southy.

They showed a clip of the set-up on TV last night, and there was a Tory rep there. An insignificant party member that I did not recognise, and whose name I was not familiar with.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]No not a screw up, just not willing to attend, if you can't make it when an invite comes, then you send a representive, the Torys failed to do that even.[/p][/quote]I think you are wrong on that one Southy. They showed a clip of the set-up on TV last night, and there was a Tory rep there. An insignificant party member that I did not recognise, and whose name I was not familiar with. Linesman
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Jack Herer says...

southy wrote:
She pulled out because the Torys did not want to be face with TUSC proving they policys are wrong and Right wing policy are not for the majority only for the few.
Any Hustings that the TUSC are invited to, if the candidate can not make it then a representive will fill in them.
All Right Wing Partys and there supporters are scared of the TUSC because they are a party for the majority, that is made by the people, run by the people for the people.
The TUSC as policys that create large amounts of jobs, offers the people the vote on the EU, will cut MP's and Lord's wages by half and not allow expenses claims, return the finance restrictions, all the right policys that are best suited for the majority and never for the few, and policys that will get the economy moving again.
If we lead the way the rest of the world will follow in time, and this is one of the biggest fears to big corporations.
Out of interest, which "majority" is your socialist vision best for? Apart from the majority of fat cats in the public sector of course?

Isn't your policy to oppose all public spending cuts?

So all those much needed quangos, diversity officers, full time union reps, overpaid and completely unnecessary executives - it's very very important that the average, hard working man in the street continues to suffer to pay for all these?

But you reckon you are actually 100% for the common man? Pull the other one eh.

Quick suggestion; why don't you start your socialist world dream with Greece? Pop over there, tell them to spend, spend, spend and they'll soon be out of trouble.

Does financial reality ever meet you union people?

Why aren't you fighting to drastically reduce the fat cats in the public sector - that should be your overriding policy to help the man in the street surely?

Is it because the unions are actually full of fat cats themselves?

Champagnes and canopies all round at union house!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: She pulled out because the Torys did not want to be face with TUSC proving they policys are wrong and Right wing policy are not for the majority only for the few. Any Hustings that the TUSC are invited to, if the candidate can not make it then a representive will fill in them. All Right Wing Partys and there supporters are scared of the TUSC because they are a party for the majority, that is made by the people, run by the people for the people. The TUSC as policys that create large amounts of jobs, offers the people the vote on the EU, will cut MP's and Lord's wages by half and not allow expenses claims, return the finance restrictions, all the right policys that are best suited for the majority and never for the few, and policys that will get the economy moving again. If we lead the way the rest of the world will follow in time, and this is one of the biggest fears to big corporations.[/p][/quote]Out of interest, which "majority" is your socialist vision best for? Apart from the majority of fat cats in the public sector of course? Isn't your policy to oppose all public spending cuts? So all those much needed quangos, diversity officers, full time union reps, overpaid and completely unnecessary executives - it's very very important that the average, hard working man in the street continues to suffer to pay for all these? But you reckon you are actually 100% for the common man? Pull the other one eh. Quick suggestion; why don't you start your socialist world dream with Greece? Pop over there, tell them to spend, spend, spend and they'll soon be out of trouble. Does financial reality ever meet you union people? Why aren't you fighting to drastically reduce the fat cats in the public sector - that should be your overriding policy to help the man in the street surely? Is it because the unions are actually full of fat cats themselves? Champagnes and canopies all round at union house! Jack Herer
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Jack Herer says...

George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
You've got to love that contrived excuse.

That's as completely unbelievable as them not turning up because they were scared of the TUSC!
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]You've got to love that contrived excuse. That's as completely unbelievable as them not turning up because they were scared of the TUSC! Jack Herer
  • Score: 0

2:09pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Lone Ranger. says...

Jack Herer wrote:
George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
You've got to love that contrived excuse.

That's as completely unbelievable as them not turning up because they were scared of the TUSC!
The TUSC may be something else .... but prefering to visit 300 employees at a cables factory is a total joke ........ WHY ?????
.
Because 90% of those that attended dont even live in Eastleigh to vote ... LMAO.
.
There is something about a Tory Politician, local or National .... They just cant resist their ego trips .
.
Fortunately the one in Southampton was dumped
[quote][p][bold]Jack Herer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]You've got to love that contrived excuse. That's as completely unbelievable as them not turning up because they were scared of the TUSC![/p][/quote]The TUSC may be something else .... but prefering to visit 300 employees at a cables factory is a total joke ........ WHY ????? . Because 90% of those that attended dont even live in Eastleigh to vote ... LMAO. . There is something about a Tory Politician, local or National .... They just cant resist their ego trips . . Fortunately the one in Southampton was dumped Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

5:24pm Fri 22 Feb 13

behonest says...

The Tory candidate for Eastleigh seems to be running scared of debating in front of the people of Eastleigh.

Seems odd. Almost as odd as she is.
The Tory candidate for Eastleigh seems to be running scared of debating in front of the people of Eastleigh. Seems odd. Almost as odd as she is. behonest
  • Score: 0

5:48pm Fri 22 Feb 13

AndyAndrews says...

The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....
The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease.... AndyAndrews
  • Score: 0

6:21pm Fri 22 Feb 13

southy says...

Linesman wrote:
southy wrote:
George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
No not a screw up, just not willing to attend, if you can't make it when an invite comes, then you send a representive, the Torys failed to do that even.
I think you are wrong on that one Southy.

They showed a clip of the set-up on TV last night, and there was a Tory rep there. An insignificant party member that I did not recognise, and whose name I was not familiar with.
Well if they did, thats all they need to do, no complains then and no excuse needed, they done what was require of them.
They had some one there to answer any questions that came there way.
But after that first hustings, where she did turn up, only to be told why the Tory or any Capitalist policy will not work by the TUSC rep. was a big embasement for the Torys, the TUSC came out best in that hustings
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]No not a screw up, just not willing to attend, if you can't make it when an invite comes, then you send a representive, the Torys failed to do that even.[/p][/quote]I think you are wrong on that one Southy. They showed a clip of the set-up on TV last night, and there was a Tory rep there. An insignificant party member that I did not recognise, and whose name I was not familiar with.[/p][/quote]Well if they did, thats all they need to do, no complains then and no excuse needed, they done what was require of them. They had some one there to answer any questions that came there way. But after that first hustings, where she did turn up, only to be told why the Tory or any Capitalist policy will not work by the TUSC rep. was a big embasement for the Torys, the TUSC came out best in that hustings southy
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Fri 22 Feb 13

southy says...

behonest wrote:
The Tory candidate for Eastleigh seems to be running scared of debating in front of the people of Eastleigh.

Seems odd. Almost as odd as she is.
Not just the Torys.
I think they should have a husting out in the open (in the streets) where any passer-by could take part, now that would be some thing
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: The Tory candidate for Eastleigh seems to be running scared of debating in front of the people of Eastleigh. Seems odd. Almost as odd as she is.[/p][/quote]Not just the Torys. I think they should have a husting out in the open (in the streets) where any passer-by could take part, now that would be some thing southy
  • Score: 0

7:57pm Fri 22 Feb 13

huckit P says...

southy wrote:
She pulled out because the Torys did not want to be face with TUSC proving they policys are wrong and Right wing policy are not for the majority only for the few.
Any Hustings that the TUSC are invited to, if the candidate can not make it then a representive will fill in them.
All Right Wing Partys and there supporters are scared of the TUSC because they are a party for the majority, that is made by the people, run by the people for the people.
The TUSC as policys that create large amounts of jobs, offers the people the vote on the EU, will cut MP's and Lord's wages by half and not allow expenses claims, return the finance restrictions, all the right policys that are best suited for the majority and never for the few, and policys that will get the economy moving again.
If we lead the way the rest of the world will follow in time, and this is one of the biggest fears to big corporations.
Are you English and did you go to school?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: She pulled out because the Torys did not want to be face with TUSC proving they policys are wrong and Right wing policy are not for the majority only for the few. Any Hustings that the TUSC are invited to, if the candidate can not make it then a representive will fill in them. All Right Wing Partys and there supporters are scared of the TUSC because they are a party for the majority, that is made by the people, run by the people for the people. The TUSC as policys that create large amounts of jobs, offers the people the vote on the EU, will cut MP's and Lord's wages by half and not allow expenses claims, return the finance restrictions, all the right policys that are best suited for the majority and never for the few, and policys that will get the economy moving again. If we lead the way the rest of the world will follow in time, and this is one of the biggest fears to big corporations.[/p][/quote]Are you English and did you go to school? huckit P
  • Score: 0

7:57pm Fri 22 Feb 13

George4th says...

behonest wrote:
The Tory candidate for Eastleigh seems to be running scared of debating in front of the people of Eastleigh.

Seems odd. Almost as odd as she is.
Hardly! She's well embedded in Eastleigh and knows a lot of the people already!
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: The Tory candidate for Eastleigh seems to be running scared of debating in front of the people of Eastleigh. Seems odd. Almost as odd as she is.[/p][/quote]Hardly! She's well embedded in Eastleigh and knows a lot of the people already! George4th
  • Score: 0

8:00pm Fri 22 Feb 13

George4th says...

AndyAndrews wrote:
The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....
You clearly don't know the woman! She's more than capable and knows the people of Eastleigh given that she contributes in many ways, including through worthwhile Charities That is on top of bringing up 4 kids, including one who is disabled............
..
[quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....[/p][/quote]You clearly don't know the woman! She's more than capable and knows the people of Eastleigh given that she contributes in many ways, including through worthwhile Charities That is on top of bringing up 4 kids, including one who is disabled............ .. George4th
  • Score: 0

8:27pm Fri 22 Feb 13

behonest says...

George4th wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote:
The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....
You clearly don't know the woman! She's more than capable and knows the people of Eastleigh given that she contributes in many ways, including through worthwhile Charities That is on top of bringing up 4 kids, including one who is disabled............

..
Now why did you bring up the fact she has a disabled child? Sympathy vote? Tory spin?

Regardless of how many children she has (and that she thinks our local schools aren't good enough to educate them!) does not hide the fact that she is completely out of her depth. As well as being completely at odds with Cameron - her own leader!
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....[/p][/quote]You clearly don't know the woman! She's more than capable and knows the people of Eastleigh given that she contributes in many ways, including through worthwhile Charities That is on top of bringing up 4 kids, including one who is disabled............ ..[/p][/quote]Now why did you bring up the fact she has a disabled child? Sympathy vote? Tory spin? Regardless of how many children she has (and that she thinks our local schools aren't good enough to educate them!) does not hide the fact that she is completely out of her depth. As well as being completely at odds with Cameron - her own leader! behonest
  • Score: 0

9:39pm Fri 22 Feb 13

George4th says...

behonest wrote:
George4th wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote:
The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....
You clearly don't know the woman! She's more than capable and knows the people of Eastleigh given that she contributes in many ways, including through worthwhile Charities That is on top of bringing up 4 kids, including one who is disabled............


..
Now why did you bring up the fact she has a disabled child? Sympathy vote? Tory spin?

Regardless of how many children she has (and that she thinks our local schools aren't good enough to educate them!) does not hide the fact that she is completely out of her depth. As well as being completely at odds with Cameron - her own leader!
"Now why did you bring up the fact she has a disabled child? Sympathy vote? Tory spin?"

If you cared to read my earlier post you would understand..........
...Instead you make wrong guesses!

And then you go on to make god like remarks that are merely disjointed thinking mixed with a lack of decorum...........
[quote][p][bold]behonest[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: The woman is completely out of her depth: she had thought she had another two years to prepare for an election. She's being kept away from the press in case of foot-in-mouth disease....[/p][/quote]You clearly don't know the woman! She's more than capable and knows the people of Eastleigh given that she contributes in many ways, including through worthwhile Charities That is on top of bringing up 4 kids, including one who is disabled............ ..[/p][/quote]Now why did you bring up the fact she has a disabled child? Sympathy vote? Tory spin? Regardless of how many children she has (and that she thinks our local schools aren't good enough to educate them!) does not hide the fact that she is completely out of her depth. As well as being completely at odds with Cameron - her own leader![/p][/quote]"Now why did you bring up the fact she has a disabled child? Sympathy vote? Tory spin?" If you cared to read my earlier post you would understand.......... ...Instead you make wrong guesses! And then you go on to make god like remarks that are merely disjointed thinking mixed with a lack of decorum........... George4th
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Sat 23 Feb 13

behonest says...

George4th - You're confusing questions with 'guesses'.

And remarking on her being completely at odds with her own leader is not a 'god like remark'. It's a fact.
George4th - You're confusing questions with 'guesses'. And remarking on her being completely at odds with her own leader is not a 'god like remark'. It's a fact. behonest
  • Score: 0

6:18pm Sat 23 Feb 13

philgcdr says...

"UKIP (UKIP.org) SURGE IN EASTLEIGH

This morning’s Populus poll bears that out. They are in third place with 21 per cent, with the Tories second on 28 and the Lib Dems ahead with 33. But, as the indispensable UK Polling Report points out,if you don’t reallocate some of the undecides to the party they voted for last time, UKIP are doing even better. The numbers then are UKIP 25%, Tories 26% and Lib Dems 31%"

From: Specatordotcodotuk
"UKIP (UKIP.org) SURGE IN EASTLEIGH This morning’s Populus poll bears that out. They are in third place with 21 per cent, with the Tories second on 28 and the Lib Dems ahead with 33. But, as the indispensable UK Polling Report points out,if you don’t reallocate some of the undecides to the party they voted for last time, UKIP are doing even better. The numbers then are UKIP 25%, Tories 26% and Lib Dems 31%" From: Specatordotcodotuk philgcdr
  • Score: 0

8:41pm Sat 23 Feb 13

kingnotail says...

George4th wrote:
The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems!
>
The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me!
>
Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show!
What a depressingly horrible little political sycophant you are
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: The truth is that the BBC arranged the debate but forgot to ask all Parties first! When they asked Hutchings people it was then discovered that she was already booked to be with Cameron and about 300 staff at Prysmian Cables and Systems! > The BBC screwed up and then put a spin on it by having their local news journalist ask the other candidates etc for opinions! Seems like a bit of hatchet job to me! > Honouring an arranged visit to a local employer with 300 workers expecting you seems more worthwhile than getting a few minutes on a Radio Show![/p][/quote]What a depressingly horrible little political sycophant you are kingnotail
  • Score: 0

12:00pm Mon 25 Feb 13

LancashireLad says...

Serious party control of the candidate!Do and speak or we say or we will move you out, we do not want plain speaking individuals , just look at what is happening to Nadine Dorres MP , because she has been a thorn in the side to the posh boys Osborne & Cameron, they obviously don't want an other out spoken who speaks her mind. But isn't this true for all three liberal parties Liberal Conservatives, Lib Dems and liberal labour , all of which are only liberal if you agree with them , in reality the liberals are the least tolerant of all political groups in the UK, as they know best what is good for us, they really don't want free thinkers.... do as we say or else!
Serious party control of the candidate!Do and speak or we say or we will move you out, we do not want plain speaking individuals , just look at what is happening to Nadine Dorres MP , because she has been a thorn in the side to the posh boys Osborne & Cameron, they obviously don't want an other out spoken who speaks her mind. But isn't this true for all three liberal parties Liberal Conservatives, Lib Dems and liberal labour , all of which are only liberal if you agree with them , in reality the liberals are the least tolerant of all political groups in the UK, as they know best what is good for us, they really don't want free thinkers.... do as we say or else! LancashireLad
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Mon 25 Feb 13

sburman says...

Roll on the 28th then the circus will move on elsewhere.
Do you know how many leaflets have dropped through my door, vote for him, vote for her, I’m good, they`re bad. They were still arriving gone 9.00pm last night, what a waste of trees just to try and sway my opinion one way or the other. If you want a true opinion on all this wait and see what the turnout is.
I haven’t heard anything from the Beer, Baccy & Crumpet party though. I wonder what this is telling us.
Roll on the 28th then the circus will move on elsewhere. Do you know how many leaflets have dropped through my door, vote for him, vote for her, I’m good, they`re bad. They were still arriving gone 9.00pm last night, what a waste of trees just to try and sway my opinion one way or the other. If you want a true opinion on all this wait and see what the turnout is. I haven’t heard anything from the Beer, Baccy & Crumpet party though. I wonder what this is telling us. sburman
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Mon 25 Feb 13

Green Supporter2 says...

At least she was invited to attend by the BBC: unlike most of the other candidates! BBC has a bias against smaller parties that should not be allowed at elections!

Meanwhile remember to punish the Fib Dems for their lies over tuition fees. The English are the only nationality in Europe who have to pay all their tuition fees at Scottish Universities. A Tory / Lib Dem stitch up!
At least she was invited to attend by the BBC: unlike most of the other candidates! BBC has a bias against smaller parties that should not be allowed at elections! Meanwhile remember to punish the Fib Dems for their lies over tuition fees. The English are the only nationality in Europe who have to pay all their tuition fees at Scottish Universities. A Tory / Lib Dem stitch up! Green Supporter2
  • Score: 0

8:30am Tue 26 Feb 13

angelleb says...

Housing costs have only 2 main factors - SUPPLY and DEMAND.

SUPPLY of rental accommodation and the number of people looking for rental accommodation (DEMAND). The supply of rental housing is nothing the government can really do anything about as its too far in debt to build houses.

But when the population increases by 5 million purely from legal and illegal immigration then the demand outstrips supply which is why we have the unbelievable situation of rising house prices as well as rising rental prices during a recession/depression - this is UNPRECEDENTED.

How can you have property prices going up during a double/triple dip recession? Well because the bottom of the property ladder is being held up by property investors who can see the good returns from renting out cheap houses to people on low incomes.

The only way to stop rising rent prices is to hold back UNCONTROLLED MASS immigration and allow housing numbers to catch up through private house building until such a time as there are houses for immigrants to move into.

At the moment there are too many immigrants taking cash in hand jobs for less than the minimum wage and they make it work by living 10 to house. Do you think this is a good way for people in country to be living?

While it is true that Margaret Thatcher shouldn't have started the sell off of council houses, even the stock of council housing in the 80s couldn't have housed a fraction of the demand for social housing at the moment.

While we are in the EU we can't control our borders, lets put a stop to MASS immigration until we have caught up on housing who is already here and also provided the necessary health care and schools for them.

Vote UKIP
Housing costs have only 2 main factors - SUPPLY and DEMAND. SUPPLY of rental accommodation and the number of people looking for rental accommodation (DEMAND). The supply of rental housing is nothing the government can really do anything about as its too far in debt to build houses. But when the population increases by 5 million purely from legal and illegal immigration then the demand outstrips supply which is why we have the unbelievable situation of rising house prices as well as rising rental prices during a recession/depression - this is UNPRECEDENTED. How can you have property prices going up during a double/triple dip recession? Well because the bottom of the property ladder is being held up by property investors who can see the good returns from renting out cheap houses to people on low incomes. The only way to stop rising rent prices is to hold back UNCONTROLLED MASS immigration and allow housing numbers to catch up through private house building until such a time as there are houses for immigrants to move into. At the moment there are too many immigrants taking cash in hand jobs for less than the minimum wage and they make it work by living 10 to house. Do you think this is a good way for people in country to be living? While it is true that Margaret Thatcher shouldn't have started the sell off of council houses, even the stock of council housing in the 80s couldn't have housed a fraction of the demand for social housing at the moment. While we are in the EU we can't control our borders, lets put a stop to MASS immigration until we have caught up on housing who is already here and also provided the necessary health care and schools for them. Vote UKIP angelleb
  • Score: 0

8:20am Wed 27 Feb 13

philgcdr says...

Vote UKIP.org.
Vote UKIP.org. philgcdr
  • Score: 0

10:30am Sun 3 Mar 13

simmo707 says...

BROKEN BRITAIN UNDER TORIES – CAMERON TO REBRAND
Cameron at last is getting the message that Eastleigh was not a Midterm blip nor a tactical vote but a very weary Public telling the Tories it’s time to go .His reassurance that he will not vere to the Right has fallen on deaf ears ,it’s almost like saying Hitler was a Moderate Left .Welfare Reform ,Unemployment ,Secret Courts ,Privatisation through the back door how Right can you get .He says the Tories need Rebranding does that mean more smiles and bigger lies .The Whole Parliamentary System does not need Rebranding or an Overall but Scrapping and a New Democracy Born .EU and American influences have decimated all social cohesion within Britain and the Politicians answer ‘look after number one’.www.brokenbri
tainundertories
BROKEN BRITAIN UNDER TORIES – CAMERON TO REBRAND Cameron at last is getting the message that Eastleigh was not a Midterm blip nor a tactical vote but a very weary Public telling the Tories it’s time to go .His reassurance that he will not vere to the Right has fallen on deaf ears ,it’s almost like saying Hitler was a Moderate Left .Welfare Reform ,Unemployment ,Secret Courts ,Privatisation through the back door how Right can you get .He says the Tories need Rebranding does that mean more smiles and bigger lies .The Whole Parliamentary System does not need Rebranding or an Overall but Scrapping and a New Democracy Born .EU and American influences have decimated all social cohesion within Britain and the Politicians answer ‘look after number one’.www.brokenbri tainundertories simmo707
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree