When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
What the new bedroom tax means to you
5:00pm Saturday 23rd February 2013 in News
Under the new scheme, the following people on housing benefits are allowed one bedroom in a house:
- A couple
- A person aged 16 or older
- Two children of the same sex until one reaches 16
- Two children of the opposite sex until one reaches 10
- A carer where you or your partner requires overnight care If you have more bedrooms than the new rules allow for, you have a ‘spare bedroom’.
- Separated parents who have shared care of one or more children
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Couples using a ‘spare bedroom’ when recovering from illness or an operation
- Disabled people who live in adapted or specially designed homes
Pensioners currently living in council or social housing are not affected.