Now Ikea withdraws sausages from British stores

Now Ikea withdraws sausages from British stores

Now Ikea withdraws sausages from British stores

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by

FURNITURE giant Ikea is withdrawing wiener sausages in Britain, France, Spain, Ireland and Portugal after tests confirmed ''a few indications of horsemeat''.

The move comes two days after the retailer, which has a branch in Southampton, withdrew Swedish meatballs from stores across Europe and a handful of countries in Asia and the Caribbean.

An Ikea spokeswoman said: ''Based on some hundred test results that we have received so far, there are a few indications of horse meat. 'Together with the Swedish supplier in question we have decided to withdraw from sales also the wiener sausages ... from that supplier.''

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:36pm Wed 27 Feb 13

tinaalters says...

OMG I regularly eat the hot dogs at Ikea and now this happens. Where is this going to end? I'm disgusted by this news. What about anyone else?
OMG I regularly eat the hot dogs at Ikea and now this happens. Where is this going to end? I'm disgusted by this news. What about anyone else? tinaalters
  • Score: 0

2:49pm Wed 27 Feb 13

999medic says...

I have one once gave me the trots
I have one once gave me the trots 999medic
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Wed 27 Feb 13

Linesman says...

Withdrawing the sausage is not a reliable form of birth control.
Withdrawing the sausage is not a reliable form of birth control. Linesman
  • Score: 0

5:58pm Wed 27 Feb 13

Jen87brs says...

This is all getting ridiculous now and I am fed up of hearing about it, at the end of the day I can understand that if something claims to be 100% beef then it should be but if it doesn't have that claim what is the actual issue????

At the end of the day it is meat and most of us are meat eaters what difference should it make where the meat came from as long as no-one gets ill from it I don't see what the issue is!!!!

I love Ikea hot dogs and they were the only thing my hubby could persuade me with to go to a shop where you have to go round the whole place before you can get to the bit you want to get to!! I always knew I had one of them to look forward to at the end of it.
This is all getting ridiculous now and I am fed up of hearing about it, at the end of the day I can understand that if something claims to be 100% beef then it should be but if it doesn't have that claim what is the actual issue???? At the end of the day it is meat and most of us are meat eaters what difference should it make where the meat came from as long as no-one gets ill from it I don't see what the issue is!!!! I love Ikea hot dogs and they were the only thing my hubby could persuade me with to go to a shop where you have to go round the whole place before you can get to the bit you want to get to!! I always knew I had one of them to look forward to at the end of it. Jen87brs
  • Score: 0

7:33pm Wed 27 Feb 13

localnews says...

This is making me so hungry I could eat a horse
This is making me so hungry I could eat a horse localnews
  • Score: 0

8:43pm Wed 27 Feb 13

bigfella777 says...

Anyone who eats an IKEA hot dog is just some saddo who cant get past the tills and out the store without eating something.
What do you expect for 50p filet mignon?
Anyone who eats an IKEA hot dog is just some saddo who cant get past the tills and out the store without eating something. What do you expect for 50p filet mignon? bigfella777
  • Score: 0

9:21pm Wed 27 Feb 13

J.P.M says...

Linesman wrote:
Withdrawing the sausage is not a reliable form of birth control.
2008 sign at Reading Hospital (while maintenance decorators on site):-
For Family Planning - Please Use The Back Entrance.....
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Withdrawing the sausage is not a reliable form of birth control.[/p][/quote]2008 sign at Reading Hospital (while maintenance decorators on site):- For Family Planning - Please Use The Back Entrance..... J.P.M
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Wed 27 Feb 13

ameliaS says...

Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is. ameliaS
  • Score: 0

9:47pm Wed 27 Feb 13

IronLady2010 says...

ameliaS wrote:
Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
I agree with you, having never been in Ikea Southampton as it's full of cheap flat pack rubbish that lasts 5 minutes. I would guess the food would be similar?
[quote][p][bold]ameliaS[/bold] wrote: Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.[/p][/quote]I agree with you, having never been in Ikea Southampton as it's full of cheap flat pack rubbish that lasts 5 minutes. I would guess the food would be similar? IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:04pm Wed 27 Feb 13

elvisimo says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
ameliaS wrote:
Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
I agree with you, having never been in Ikea Southampton as it's full of cheap flat pack rubbish that lasts 5 minutes. I would guess the food would be similar?
Very knowledgable about their products and food for someone who has not been there...
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ameliaS[/bold] wrote: Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.[/p][/quote]I agree with you, having never been in Ikea Southampton as it's full of cheap flat pack rubbish that lasts 5 minutes. I would guess the food would be similar?[/p][/quote]Very knowledgable about their products and food for someone who has not been there... elvisimo
  • Score: 0

10:05pm Wed 27 Feb 13

IronLady2010 says...

elvisimo wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
ameliaS wrote:
Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.
I agree with you, having never been in Ikea Southampton as it's full of cheap flat pack rubbish that lasts 5 minutes. I would guess the food would be similar?
Very knowledgable about their products and food for someone who has not been there...
I have used the Croydon store in the past ;-) Now I buy decent stuff that is made to last :-)
[quote][p][bold]elvisimo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ameliaS[/bold] wrote: Never been to Ikea but hear the food is unbelievably cheap. Guess you get what you pay for. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is.[/p][/quote]I agree with you, having never been in Ikea Southampton as it's full of cheap flat pack rubbish that lasts 5 minutes. I would guess the food would be similar?[/p][/quote]Very knowledgable about their products and food for someone who has not been there...[/p][/quote]I have used the Croydon store in the past ;-) Now I buy decent stuff that is made to last :-) IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:36pm Wed 27 Feb 13

business-guru says...

WHY would anyone eat IKEA food ??? its total Sh1t !! Dog food is better....
WHY would anyone eat IKEA food ??? its total Sh1t !! Dog food is better.... business-guru
  • Score: 0

8:18am Thu 28 Feb 13

Big Mac says...

business-guru wrote:
WHY would anyone eat IKEA food ??? its total Sh1t !! Dog food is better....
Thanks for the advice chum.
[quote][p][bold]business-guru[/bold] wrote: WHY would anyone eat IKEA food ??? its total Sh1t !! Dog food is better....[/p][/quote]Thanks for the advice chum. Big Mac
  • Score: 0

9:05am Thu 28 Feb 13

Dchadder says...

You eat HOT DOGS in Southampton then? Must call the RSPCA.
You eat HOT DOGS in Southampton then? Must call the RSPCA. Dchadder
  • Score: 0

11:32am Thu 28 Feb 13

rightway says...

No need to withdraw the products, just knock them out at half price.
After all it's only meat.
No need to withdraw the products, just knock them out at half price. After all it's only meat. rightway
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree