Jade Clark Death: Demands for Transport Secretary talks as hit and run driver hunt stepped up

Daily Echo: Jade Clark death: Town demands Transport Secretary talks as hunt for hit and and run driver stepped up Jade Clark death: Town demands Transport Secretary talks as hunt for hit and and run driver stepped up

Civic chiefs have demanded a meeting with the Transport Secretary to crackdown on speed of the drivers on the notorious A31.

It comes as police stepped up their hunt for a hit and run driver involved in crash which killed a 16-year-old girl.

Last night councillors called on the Highways Agency to reclassify the A31 at Ringwood as an urban road in a bid to get the speed limit cut to 50mph.

The town council voted to write to the agency rejecting its claim that there is no reason to impose a 50mph speed limit between Picket Post and the Ashley Heath roundabout, and recommending reclassification.

Cllr Michael Thierry said: “There can hardly be ten yards of the road in three miles which hasn’t seen an accident. Ringwood residents need to use that road to go anywhere else, it is not just for people travelling long journeys.”

Cllr Jeremy Heron reminded the council of the death of 16-year-old Jade Clark on Sunday evening.

The former Ringwood School girl was riding her scooter when she was involved ina crash which closed the road for 18 hours.

Yesterday police revealed they are hunting a hit a run driver who was involved in the crash.

DCllr Heron also urged residents to support the council by writing to local MP Desmond Swayne.

The council also voted to request Hampshire County Council carry out a review of signs along the same stretch of the road, and look into yellow box markings at the junction with the A338.

They welcomed proposals from the Highways Agency for “merge ahead” signs and bridge signs, and called for the costs to be produced for town councillors to consider.

They also agreed to request a meeting with Secretary of State for Transport Patrick McLoughlin.

Chairman Councillor Steve Rippon Swaine said after the vote: “The council is not prepared to sit on the response we had back from Highways. We are hoping to get a response back by Monday.”

POLICE STEP UP HUNT FOR HIT AND RUN DRIVER - CLICK HERE

 

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:19am Thu 28 Feb 13

hulla baloo says...

Tragic accident and condolonces to the family. How many of these accidents along this stretch are attributed to excessive speed?
Tragic accident and condolonces to the family. How many of these accidents along this stretch are attributed to excessive speed? hulla baloo

8:32am Thu 28 Feb 13

Forest Resident says...

hulla baloo wrote:
Tragic accident and condolonces to the family. How many of these accidents along this stretch are attributed to excessive speed?
In the report issued by the Highways agency the vast majority of collisions on the A31 are attributed to rear end shunts purely as a result of driver inattention. A reduction in the speed limit may help with an increased braking distance but if we applied the same logic to every road we'd be forever driving at 30mph! A speed limit cut is not the answer, an improvement in road layout and the driving skills of those using it clearly are.
[quote][p][bold]hulla baloo[/bold] wrote: Tragic accident and condolonces to the family. How many of these accidents along this stretch are attributed to excessive speed?[/p][/quote]In the report issued by the Highways agency the vast majority of collisions on the A31 are attributed to rear end shunts purely as a result of driver inattention. A reduction in the speed limit may help with an increased braking distance but if we applied the same logic to every road we'd be forever driving at 30mph! A speed limit cut is not the answer, an improvement in road layout and the driving skills of those using it clearly are. Forest Resident

11:20am Thu 28 Feb 13

espanuel says...

It is a sad loss for the family and condolonces. The road is OK it is the drivers at the end of the day. Very many tailgating and not observing the road. And they are locals.
It is a sad loss for the family and condolonces. The road is OK it is the drivers at the end of the day. Very many tailgating and not observing the road. And they are locals. espanuel

11:45am Thu 28 Feb 13

For pity sake says...

espanuel wrote:
It is a sad loss for the family and condolonces. The road is OK it is the drivers at the end of the day. Very many tailgating and not observing the road. And they are locals.
These drivers are the same ones who drive on all the other roads so if there are more accidents on this road then the road must be a factor.
Poor drivers don't suddenly become worse here.
It's a road that I avoid whenever possible - whatever the road does to other drivers scares the life out of me.
[quote][p][bold]espanuel[/bold] wrote: It is a sad loss for the family and condolonces. The road is OK it is the drivers at the end of the day. Very many tailgating and not observing the road. And they are locals.[/p][/quote]These drivers are the same ones who drive on all the other roads so if there are more accidents on this road then the road must be a factor. Poor drivers don't suddenly become worse here. It's a road that I avoid whenever possible - whatever the road does to other drivers scares the life out of me. For pity sake

1:19pm Thu 28 Feb 13

mr.southampton says...

Such a dangerous stretch of road, used it regularly a few years back and have never seen so many accidents. The council are right something urgently needs to be done.
Such a dangerous stretch of road, used it regularly a few years back and have never seen so many accidents. The council are right something urgently needs to be done. mr.southampton

2:30pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Inform Al says...

It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.
It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals. Inform Al

4:49pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Torchie1 says...

Inform Al wrote:
It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.
Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?
[quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.[/p][/quote]Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ? Torchie1

7:25pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Inform Al says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.
Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?
And the relevance of your post is?
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.[/p][/quote]Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?[/p][/quote]And the relevance of your post is? Inform Al

9:38pm Thu 28 Feb 13

ReverendPaul says...

Another sad and unnecessary death on the local roads. Leaving many family and friends bereaved.Lets remember them at this time and then press for action to be taken on this stretch of road so that the death is not in vain.
support for those bereaved unexpectedly. www.sebsbereavements
ervices.btck.co.uk
Another sad and unnecessary death on the local roads. Leaving many family and friends bereaved.Lets remember them at this time and then press for action to be taken on this stretch of road so that the death is not in vain. support for those bereaved unexpectedly. www.sebsbereavements ervices.btck.co.uk ReverendPaul

9:40pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Torchie1 says...

Inform Al wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.
Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?
And the relevance of your post is?
The relevance is that it points out the shortsightedness of your suggestion, but you understood that already didn't you?
[quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.[/p][/quote]Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?[/p][/quote]And the relevance of your post is?[/p][/quote]The relevance is that it points out the shortsightedness of your suggestion, but you understood that already didn't you? Torchie1

11:36pm Thu 28 Feb 13

Inform Al says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.
Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?
And the relevance of your post is?
The relevance is that it points out the shortsightedness of your suggestion, but you understood that already didn't you?
Yes, I already knew you are a total cretin, but it's nice to be reassured.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: It's about 9 years now since I regularly drove a lorry along the A31, and I must confess to being more worried about impatient car drivers dangerously overtaking lorries on blind bends further along the road. However that said the 56mph maximum available to a lorry always seemed a little too fast for safety at times then. I believe this road should have a 50mph maximum limit as soon as the Highjways Agency wakes up to reality and listens to those who know best, the locals.[/p][/quote]Will 'the locals who know best' still be called NIMBYs when they try to influence new roads, power stations, housing developments etc ?[/p][/quote]And the relevance of your post is?[/p][/quote]The relevance is that it points out the shortsightedness of your suggestion, but you understood that already didn't you?[/p][/quote]Yes, I already knew you are a total cretin, but it's nice to be reassured. Inform Al

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree