When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
MP Julian Lewis wants assurance over future of Marchwood Military Port
11:00am Wednesday 6th March 2013 in News
A HAMPSHIRE MP is demanding fresh assurances over the future of a massive military base that was saved from closure last year.
MPs were debating the army's new “basing plan” under which thousands of British soldiers will be brought back from Germany.
The document says 17 Port and Maritime Regiment, which is situated at the military port, will not be affected by the scheme.
Dr Lewis said: “It looks like good news but when I asked the secretary of state for defence if that meant the future of the military port was now secure he gave me a very waffly answer.
“I just think he was so wrapped up in all that stuff about bringing the troops back from Germany that he was unsighted by the question.”
However, Dr Lewis is now seeking a written assurance from Mr Hammond.
“The regiment is going to stay at Marchwood and the only conclusion I can reach is that the port is going to stay there as well.
“But I haven't got that absolutely confirmed following the rather inconclusive exchange we had in the House.
“It looks like good news but I'm waiting for a definite answer.”
Marchwood, which supplies UK vessels taking part in military operations all over the world, employs more than 750 soldiers and civilians.
Last July the Daily Echo revealed that the Government had dropped what objectors had claimed were “half baked” plans to move the base.