When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Ship worker death caused by exposure to asbestos
12:16pm Friday 15th March 2013 in News
EXPOSURE to asbestos caused the death of a Southampton man, a coroner’s court has heard.
John Fenwick, 73, of Leaside Way, Bassett Green, died at Countess Mountbatten Hospice on February 4 as a result of exposure during his career.
His work in the 1960s involved repairing and removing pipes on ships in Southampton docks.
At the hearing in Winchester, deputy central Hampshire coroner, Simon Burge, said: “It’s quite clear to me that he was exposed to asbestos and I therefore have no hesitation in recording a verdict of death due to industrial disease.”