A HAMPSHIRE man died from industrial disease years after throwing asbestos around with colleagues as a joke, an inquest heard.
David Adams, 76, died at Winchester’s Royal Hampshire County Hospital on February 25 from a cancerous tumour on his lung.
A report from Dr Adnan Al-Badri, consultant pathologist at the RHCH, said that asbestos was not found in Mr Adam’s lungs, but that this did not exclude it as the cause of his cancer.
The inquest in Winchester heard that Mr Adams, of White Hart Road, had worked for British Rail for 33 years.
In a statement made before his death, he said: “There were vast amounts of asbestos dust. We apprentices threw it at each other on occasions.”
Deputy Coroner for Central Hampshire Simon Burge recorded a verdict of death due to industrial disease.
Mr Adams’ widow, Annette, told the hearing: “It’s very sad. Friends of his have suffered the same fate.”