When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Post-mortem due on teenager who died at music festival
THE cause of a teenager’s death at a Hampshire music festival is set to be revealed.
A post-mortem examination for the 18-year-old woman who died after being taken ill at the Boomtown Fair is scheduled to take place today.
Police have confirmed that she is from Somerset but are not releasing any other information at this stage.
A spokeswoman said: “We are not identifying the woman yet, as a post-mortem has not been completed.”
Her next of kin have been informed, as has the coroner, with an inquest set to open tomorrow once the post-mortem is complete, according to the Central Hampshire Coroner’s office.
An investigation is under way and a link with drugs is one line of inquiry being pursued. The death is not considered suspicious.
The teenager was taken ill at 10pm on Thursday, the first night of the event.
The festival's control team and on-site ambulances were initially called to give her medical attention and she was later taken by paramedics to the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
She is the second person to die in three years at the Boomtown Fair after a 45-year-old woman died from an Ecstasy overdose in 2011.
Organisers were already under scrutiny after last year's event breached licensing conditions and they narrowly avoided being prosecuted by Winchester City Council.
There were more than 70 complaints about noise pollution in connection with the 2012 event.
So far the council has not released this year’s figures but it is understood there were fewer than before.
About 30,000 people attended the four-day event, which featured ska, dub, reggae and other bass-heavy acts, including Arrested Development and Julian Marley.
Traffic leaving the Boomtown Fair site yesterday caused snarl-ups on the A31 and Spitfire Link as thousands of festival goers headed for home.
Janet Barker, of Windermere Gardens, Alresford, said: “It looks like the organisation cannot cope with 30,000 people leaving the site and have just jammed up the whole area.”
Comments are closed on this article.