When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
'No neglect' in choking death of Blanche, 108
7:59am Saturday 17th August 2013 in News
ONE of Hampshire’s oldest residents choked to death, an inquest heard.
Blanche Rogers was 108 years old and had been living at Abbotts Barton care home in Winchester when she died on June 18.
Several members of staff from the Colten Care-run home, where Miss Rogers had lived for eight years, attended the inquest in Winchester.
Carer Paul Seymour and nurse Shelley Ford came to Miss Rogers’ aid after hearing her coughing in her room, but she died shortly after.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, assistant deputy central Hampshire coroner, Sarah Whitby, said: “She suffered a choking episode while eating her lunch and despite assistance from staff, she suffered breathing difficulties and died shortly afterwards.
“I’m quite clear in my mind that there was no neglect.”
Born in London in 1904, Miss Rogers moved to Romsey shortly after the Second World War to live with her sister, later relocating to Winchester.
Bookkeeper She was never married – a fact she pointed to when asked the secret to her longevity by a Daily Echo reporter at her birthday bash last year.
Miss Rogers worked as a bookkeeper and was a keen sculptress in her spare time, keeping some of her bronzes in her room.
Staff at the inquest spoke fondly of her, recalling a fun, independent woman with a sharp mind.
Denise Smyth, the home manager, said: “She was probably the most alert resident in the home and won every Scrabble game going.”
Comments are closed on this article.