When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Fire crews tackle blaze in flat in Maybush Southampton
7:11am Tuesday 27th August 2013 in News
A WOMAN was rescued and taken to hospital after fire took hold in her Southampton flat in the early hours of this morning.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed one female occupant was rescued from the building and taken to hospital for treatment.
Crews from Redbridge, St Mary's, and Winchester attended the scene.
They used four breathing apparatus, one jet, one hose reel and positive ventilation to extinguish the fire.
The kitchen suffered 80 per cent damage.
Alistair Owen, watch manager at Redbridge fire station, said the blaze was caused by an unattended chip pan and no working smoke alarms were fitted in the flat.
The alarm was raised by neighbours in the flat below.
The woman was unconscious when fire crews arrived at the property and was carried out by two firefighters.
Mr Owen said: "The flat was very heavily smoke logged.
"There were no working smoke alarms in the property. Smoke alarms give you the intervention to prevent death."
Comments are closed on this article.