When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Leukaemia tot's health put at risk by housing
THE parents of a three-year-old girl suffering from leukaemia have criticised housing chiefs after fleeing two properties that jeopardised her health.
Liam McCarthy, 30, and Samantha Moore, 24, left their council maisonette in Wimpson Lane, Southampton, after smelling gas in a cupboard containing a new boiler.
Tests carried out on their daughter Roamany, who is having chemotherapy, showed she had higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in her blood.
The council agreed to move the family into temporary emergency accommodation in Millbrook Road East.
They were told the property had been cleaned and were horrified to discover mould on the bath – another potential threat to their daughter’s health.
Liam and Samantha went back to the council and were moved into the Jurys Inn Hotel in Southampton – but only on a bed and breakfast basis. The unemployed couple, who also have a five-year-old son, say they had no cooking facilities and were having to buy takeaways.
Liam is having to borrow money from his brother to pay food and travel costs and has already run up a bill for £250.
He said: “We had a new boiler fitted in June and had trouble with it right from the start.
“Last week the cupboard absolutely stank of gas.
“We were moved to a flat and we were told it had been cleaned to within an inch of its life.
“But there was mould in the bath and one of the windows had been boarded up.
“After two nights we went to the Jurys Inn.”
Liam said Roamany was having trouble sleeping and added: “The events of the past few days have also caused a lot of stress between me and Samantha, which is having a knock-on effect on the children.”
The family, who were moved from the hotel to an apartment with cooking facilities yesterday, as Jury’s Inn was fully booked, are having talks with the council about their future.
Liam said: “I think they should be doing a lot more for the sake of our daughter but they don’t seem interested in helping us.”
Their ward councillor, Georgina Laming, added: “The family had a gas leak and were moved into temporary accommodation.
“The property had been cleaned but Roamany needs a hyper-clean environment because of her condition.
“I got them moved into a hotel at great expense to the council.”
The council issued a statement saying the family contacted the authority and reported smelling gas.
It added: “The boiler was inspected and an unrelated small repair was made.
“Subsequently a letter from the family’s GP was received relating to carbon monoxide levels in one family member’s blood and the family was moved to emergency temporary accommodation. “Following their concerns about the suitability of the accommodation they were moved to a hotel on a bed and breakfast basis.”
The statement said the council had been unable to re-inspect the boiler because of the family’s hospital appointments, but planned to do so today.
It added: “We hope the family will be able to return to their home after the inspection.”
However Liam has said that he wants the inspection to be carried out by independent experts.
Comments are closed on this article.