When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Government 'on verge' of inquiry into deaths at Gosport War Memorial Hospital
12:24pm Tuesday 10th September 2013 in News
THE Government is on the verge of launching an independent inquiry into deaths of patients at Gosport War Memorial Hospital between 1988 and 2000, the Daily Echo understands.
It follows a report by Professor Richard Baker released earlier this year, which said that the proportion of patients who received drugs at the hospital between 1988 and 2000 was “remarkably high”.
The report was originally commissioned in 2002 after the deaths of a number of elderly patients at the hospital in the 1990s, but held back due to police investigations and inquests which were held into 11 of the deaths.
Prof Baker found death rates at the hospital, and the amount of morphine and diamorphine prescribed, may have “shortened life” in some cases.
In 2009 hospital doctor Jane Barton, was found guilty by the General Medical Council of multiple instances of professional misconduct relating to 12 patients who died there. But after a police investigation into 92 patients’ deaths, no criminal prosecutions have ever been brought.
The Department of Health refused to confirm an inquiry was being considered, but a spokesman said: “We are determined to get to the bottom of this.
Meetings are now taking place with the families of those who died at the hospital and we are carefully considering how to deal with their concerns.”
Comments are closed on this article.