When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Man died from "combination" of factors
4:18pm Sunday 15th September 2013 in News
A HAMPSHIRE man, who suffered from chronic back pain for years, died suddenly as he took a bath, an inquest heard.
David Baker, who was a diabetic, was discovered in the bath by his partner of 20 years, Caroline Cox, at their Southampton home.
Southampton Coroner’s Court heard how the 48-year-old, of Holcroft Road, had suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting in the 24 hours leading up to his death on April 17.
A report from Mr Baker’s doctor also confirmed that he suffered from type 1 diabetes and as well as being on various forms of medication to control the pain from his back, his anxiety and depression.
Pathologist Norman Carr told the hearing that the levels of medication and the other prescribed drugs were relatively high and were at levels that have been associated with fatalities.
But there was no indication that Mr Baker had abused his medication in any way and as he had been on the drugs for a long time, his tolerance would be much higher.
Mr Carr added that his death was due to a “combination” of factors, the dehydration caused by sickness and diarrhoea, his diabetes, liver cirrhosis, his obesity and the high levels of toxicity in his blood all came together, causing sudden respiratory failure.
Ruling that Mr Baker died from natural causes, deputy coroner Gordon Denson, said: “I am entirely satisfied there was no intention whatsoever to take any form of an overdose.”
Comments are closed on this article.