When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Wickham householders discover bedroom blaze just in the nick of time
12:20pm Monday 16th September 2013 in News
HOMEOWNERS in Wickham discovered a bedroom blaze by accident as they were about to head out of the house.
The owners of a semi-detached property in Elizabeth Road, Wickham, were just going out babysitting when they realised they had forgotten something.
It was only because they went back that they discovered the fire on the first floor that is believed to have been caused by an electrical appliance that had overheated.
The bedroom was severely damaged, but firefighters managed to prevent it spreading any further so the rest of the two-floor home was only affected by smoke.
Firefighters said that if it had been left any longer it would most likely have taken out the rest of the top floor.
Initial reports had suggested there were people in the property, but on arrival crews found everybody was outside.
Fifteen firefighters attended the incident, at 8.30pm on Friday, with two crews from Fareham and one from Wickham.
They tackled the fire using breathing apparatus, two hoses and a jet, then used ventilation to clear the smoke.
Comments are closed on this article.