When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Drop in illegal raves in Hampshire
3:42pm Monday 23rd September 2013 in News
A CAMPAIGN to cut the number of illegal raves in Hampshire has worked, police say.
Hampshire Constabulary says its Operation Enigma, launched in May this year, saw the total number of reported raves in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight reduced from 22 in 2012 to 12 in 2013.
Nine unlicensed music events were shut down, while at the remaining three officers seized sound equipment. Officers made three arrests at raves this year.
Measures include visiting landowners to offer advice on securing their properties, intelligence sharing with other forces and issuing warning letters to owners of vehicles at rave sites.
Superintendent James Fulton, who led the operation, said: “Since its launch, our officers have taken a robust approach when confronted with unlicensed music events.
“As a result, it is encouraging to know that the number of raves taking place in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight has nearly halved when compared to 2012. It's even more pleasing when you take into account the good weather that we've all enjoyed in recent months.”
He added that the operation will continue throughout the winter.
Chief Inspector Steve Wallace, district commander for Basingstoke and Deane, told The Gazette in March this year that his officers had focused on the organisers of raves after several took place in the borough last year.
Four of them took place in the Herriard and Tunworth areas, to the south of Basingstoke, including one in August last year that was broken up by 50 officers, after neighbours complained about noise.
Comments are closed on this article.